Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

How Do You Deal With Harassment?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

How Do You Deal With Harassment?

Old 08-07-19, 10:09 AM
nayr497

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
That sounds more egregious than a close pass. It's probably a good thing that her significant other wasn't around to witness it.

-Matt
Yelling at someone is worse than choosing to pass so closely that one small deviation from the motorist or cyclist could result in serious injury or even death?

Not in my book. I have zero patience for motorists who don't respect the lives and space of non-motorists.
Old 08-07-19, 11:08 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,023 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by nayr497
Yelling at someone is worse than choosing to pass so closely that one small deviation from the motorist or cyclist could result in serious injury or even death?

Not in my book. I have zero patience for motorists who don't respect the lives and space of non-motorists.
The yelling sounded fairly extreme if the poster's throat was sore the following day. I don't like close passes either, but when it's all said and done, the driver did not hit him. And "close pass" is in the eye of the beholder. I know for myself, when I zone out and a car passes me when I'm not really thinking about it, it always seems closer than it is.

Now if the driver appeared to purposely swerve, that's a different story, and one in which a complaint needs to be filed.

If I came home to find a man screaming at my wife...for a close pass or any other reason...I would not be happy with said man. Yelling "TOO CLOSE" as he rides by...fair enough. Anything more aggressive is not okay, in my opinion.

-Matt
Old 08-07-19, 11:28 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
The yelling sounded fairly extreme if the poster's throat was sore the following day. I don't like close passes either, but when it's all said and done, the driver did not hit him. And "close pass" is in the eye of the beholder. I know for myself, when I zone out and a car passes me when I'm not really thinking about it, it always seems closer than it is.

Now if the driver appeared to purposely swerve, that's a different story, and one in which a complaint needs to be filed.

If I came home to find a man screaming at my wife...for a close pass or any other reason...I would not be happy with said man. Yelling "TOO CLOSE" as he rides by...fair enough. Anything more aggressive is not okay, in my opinion.

-Matt
Here's my original post, since you are using it to create a situation that did not occur. It was not a close pass.

Sometimes, I follow CB HI's example and give the motorist an earful. Once a woman in a very unique car tailgated me, honked, passed very close and fast while shouting obscenities. I rode past her walking down her driveway to get her mail about a minute later and gave her an earful that left my throat raw the next day. Since I ride the same road as a commute once a week I've been passed by her twice since then. She now waits behind me patiently and passes me with a lot of room at an appropriate speed, with her windows up and her mouth shut.

Most times a harassing motorist/cyclist interaction is a moment in time with no post-script. The example is unique for me and is something that has really made an impact on my thinking.
A close pass is not in the eye of the beholder. It is statutorily defined in Georgia, as the road I was on was 11 feet wide, her car (a late 90s Caramro) a little less than 7 feet wide, there was no legal way to make the pass. Her clearly communicated intent was to use her motor vehicle to threaten me. Her actions were well past the threshold for what Georgia requires for filing of a charge of simple assault. In this case I made a judgement call that her eventual apologetic tone and the long response time for a non-emergency (dispatch quoted as 1 hour), that this incident could be concluded without a police report. I still have the option to file a report as I have her information and reports for motor vehicle violations and misdemeanor assault have very low evidentiary thresholds due to their low enforcement/penalty status.

Georgia law requires a driver to leave a “Safe Distance” when overtaking and passing a bicycle, with the term “Safe Distance” defined as meaning not less than three feet. (O.C.G.A. Sec. 40-6-56).
Simple assault. (a) A person commits the offense of simple assault when he or she either: (1) Attempts to commit a violent injury to the person of another; or. (2) Commits an act which places another in reasonable apprehension of immediately receiving a violent injury.
As always:
Likes For Spoonrobot:
Old 08-07-19, 11:56 AM
adablduya

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
Interesting psychology here, and it reminds me of one from years ago. I was getting close to home after a long ride, and passed a little T-intersection out in the country around here, and there was a white Toyota pick-up truck with 2 guys in it, that looked to be about high school seniors, at the stop sign as I passed by in front of them. I was dressed like a typical cyclist, with some brightly colored Nalini Euro-team stuff on, and one of them yelled something that rhymes with "faa-gut".
Well, I normally would've laughed it off and kept riding, but for some reason, I just wasn't in the mood to take any crap, so without thinking, I whipped the bike around, sat up in the saddle, riding back towards them, and held my hands up as if to say, "What, you got a problem? Well here I am".
Kinda surprisingly, they stomped the gas and beat feet up the road, without a word or a middle finger out the window, or anything.
Probably not my swiftest move, because that could've gone very differently !
nice ! my years-ago anecdote went like this: as i ready to turn right onto a 4-lane divided street to start my ride, a car passes by with 2 "youngsters" who felt it appropriate to yell whatever derogatory-isms at me. they drive on down the street toward a red light intersection, at which they had to stop. well, i catch up to them causally, and stop right next to the passenger side window. the 2 kids were stone-faced, facing forward, not moving a bit, apparently knowing i caught up to them. i tap on the window. no reaction. i tap harder. nothing (as i check their seats to see if they are pissing on themselves...). once more, i knock a bit harder on the window. nothing but fear in their faces ! green light, they speed off as i move along, laughing my ass off. hoping they learned a lesson.
Likes For adablduya:
Old 08-07-19, 11:58 AM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Here's my original post, since you are using it to create a situation that did not occur. It was not a close pass.

A close pass is not in the eye of the beholder. It is statutorily defined in Georgia, as the road I was on was 11 feet wide, her car (a late 90s Caramro) a little less than 7 feet wide, there was no legal way to make the pass. Her clearly communicated intent was to use her motor vehicle to threaten me. Her actions were well past the threshold for what Georgia requires for filing of a charge of simple assault. In this case I made a judgement call that her eventual apologetic tone and the long response time for a non-emergency (dispatch quoted as 1 hour), that this incident could be concluded without a police report. I still have the option to file a report as I have her information and reports for motor vehicle violations and misdemeanor assault have very low evidentiary thresholds due to their low enforcement/penalty status.

As always:
Okay, I apologize, I missed the part where she honked and shouted obscenities. Honestly I did. Had I been on the receiving end, I would likely have filed charges.

-Matt
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 08-07-19, 12:09 PM
adablduya

a close pass is somewhat subjective, of course. anything more menacing or appearing to be deliberate, that's something else entirely. now, if anyone behaved threateningly towards me on my bike, i may well react as harshly as the poster of that response. now, if you arrived on the scene and witnessed me berating your wife, with all due respect, i would not care whether or not you were happy about it.
Old 08-07-19, 01:31 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by adablduya
a close pass is somewhat subjective, of course. anything more menacing or appearing to be deliberate, that's something else entirely. now, if anyone behaved threateningly towards me on my bike, i may well react as harshly as the poster of that response. now, if you arrived on the scene and witnessed me berating your wife, with all due respect, i would not care whether or not you were happy about it.
I'll step away from the thread at this point.

-Matt
Old 08-07-19, 02:42 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Bottom line for this thread:
Harassment of a bicyclist is defined as whatever action a bicyclist says it is; any response that the "harassed" bicyclist thinks is an appropriate way to respond is considered appropriate by many BF posters; law enforcement officials as well as the alleged harasser may not share that view and may counter-respond in ways that the bicyclist may not like.
Old 08-07-19, 03:54 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
i was track standing at a stop sign on a surface street in my town waiting on traffic of a pretty busy cross street this morning, when i noticed someone pull up behind me. they were revving their engine and i could hear them saying something, but it didn't really register it was all directed at me until traffic cleared and i started to cross. he was in an old open-top jeep and turning onto the street i was stopped at and yelling profanities and telling me to get off the street. i offered up my middle finger and politely invited him to eat my butt hole and i could nearly see the steam shooting out of his ears. he was all over the road (due to looking back over his shoulder at me) and trying to get me to turn around and, i assume, have a more personal discussion about how he doesn't feel bicycles belong in the street, but i just laughed and went on my merry way to work.

this area is pretty rural and has a really bad meth problem. i'm not trying to make assumptions about the guy, but he looked like someone who could have used once or twice (a day), and i'm not really much of a fighter, so it's probably a good thing i kept going. it does, however, have me thinking. i'm wondering what i should do to protect myself in the future. i do lots of trail and single track riding out in the sticks around here, and plan on some weekend or longer bikepacking trips soon - while bears aren't really something to worry about in my area, i'm thinking it might be a good idea to have some bear spray on a quick release strap on my bars, just in case.

also thinking about dropping some money on one of those tail light camera jobs posted above. hmm
Old 08-08-19, 03:43 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by hf35
All l am saying is, taking up more of the road then necessary to stay safe, causes road rage. lt is no different then driving in the left lane at the speed limit. Or people walking side by side, from one side of the bike path to the other, believing it is their right.

More has been accomplished in the world with cooperation than with conflict.
That explains Mongols on elephants alright.
Old 08-08-19, 12:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Bottom line for this thread:
Harassment of a bicyclist is defined as whatever action a bicyclist says it is; any response that the "harassed" bicyclist thinks is an appropriate way to respond is considered appropriate by many BF posters; law enforcement officials as well as the alleged harasser may not share that view and may counter-respond in ways that the bicyclist may not like.
Why don't you enlighten us with what you do or don't consider harassment and how you do or don't respond to it instead of engaging in your umpteenth "tsk tsk" post? Frankly, I have no idea why you think your observations of what's wrong with BF posters is supposed to interest anyone, it's just basic trolling without purpose.
Old 08-08-19, 12:48 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Why don't you enlighten us with what you do or don't consider harassment and how you do or don't respond to it instead of engaging in your umpteenth "tsk tsk" post? Frankly, I have no idea why you think your observations of what's wrong with BF posters is supposed to interest anyone, it's just basic trolling without purpose.
Read post https://www.bikeforums.net/21064868-post111.html for enlightenment if you should so choose; or continue to snipe/snark away at posters who don't meet your approval, or at posts in which YOU claim YOU are not interested.
Old 08-08-19, 01:02 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Read post https://www.bikeforums.net/21064868-post111.html for enlightenment if you should so choose; or continue to snipe/snark away at posters who don't meet your approval, or at posts in which YOU claim YOU are not interested.
No, you're doing the exact same thing you do with the Walmart bike bit. I just asked you to actually contribute something informative about harassment instead of yet another "BF posters" whine, and you respond by just linking back to the "BF posters" whine. If you remember the Walmart thing, I suggested to you that maybe you should say something about how to tell a good cheap bike from a bad one, and all you did was continue with your usual "bike snobs" whine. Basically, you're just whiny.

You are, however, an excellent troll. I will give you that.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-08-19, 03:54 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
^
BAZINGA`!!!
Old 08-08-19, 08:42 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
OK, I did not read through this whole tread, since I had a thread about this same subject 5 or so years ago.... and... this is my SOLUTION... every time someone does something you think is in-appropriate/dangerous to you personally, passing you too close, cutting you off, opening the passenger door to scare you, or even just passing you within a foot and leaving a foot or two towards the centre line... I say this to myself... I Hope you have a bad day, (to myself) like we both would have had, if you would have miss-judged your maneuver, just a little bit/a weeee bit to much and bumped me into the ditch... I say that EVERY time someone pisses me off/scares me...

BUT guess what... I also say (to myself) things like I hope you have a great day, I hope you have a great holiday, or I hope you have a great week, … and I end up having a good ride 99.99% of the time because the good always outweighs the bad... IN MY EXPERIANCE, anyways...
Old 08-08-19, 10:09 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
OK, I did not read through this whole tread, since I had a thread about this same subject 5 or so years ago.... and... this is my SOLUTION... every time someone does something you think is in-appropriate/dangerous to you personally.. I say this to myself... I Hope you have a bad day, (to myself) like we both would have had, if you would have miss-judged your maneuver, just a little bit/a weeee bit to much and bumped me into the ditch... I say that EVERY time someone pisses me off/scares me...

BUT guess what... I also say (to myself) things like I hope you have a great day, I hope you have a great holiday, or I hope you have a great week, … and I end up having a good ride 99.99% of the time because the good always outweighs the bad... IN MY EXPERIANCE, anyways...
Your approach is remarkably similar to mine that I have posted on a few threads, including earlier on this one:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Do you ever confront bad drivers?

How to get the message out? I find threads about what to say to a driver futile, since these are brief, often emotion laden encounters, and often the cyclist makes a bad impression

I have in the past posted about giving “bicyclist curses,” and “bicyclist blessings”; about 5 blessings a day, and about 3 curses a week.
I always think those self-absorbed cagers are only restrained by the thought of scratching their cars, or the hassle of filing police reports.

My only satisfactory retribution is to give them my previously-described Bicyclist Curse. (I repeatedly jab my pointed right index finger in their direction, while shouting an accusatory, ”You, you, you…”). The possibility of metaphysical retribution is more satisfying than the middle finger.

I do also bestow Bicyclist Blessings on drivers who show even a modicum of respect, with a wave of the hand….
Originally Posted by Maelochs
i tell good drivers they will be blessed by the Pope of Boyleston Avenue.
...So, @Maelochs, tell the bad drivers, woe unto them, for they shall be cursed by the Pope of Boylston Street.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boylston_Street
Old 08-09-19, 10:12 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Don't respond to harrassers. Don't feed the trolls. They'll only come back with snarky remarks making them sound like a broken record.

Last edited by Daniel4; 08-10-19 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-09-19, 06:54 PM
Meanerspice

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually just put headphones on and whenever they try to honk or say something I just pretend like I can't hear them.
Old 08-11-19, 10:55 PM
Retfor

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
the other day, someone honked at me, so i slowed down and made them miss the light. if they had just been patient, i wouldve been out of their way soon and they wouldve made it.
Old 08-12-19, 05:52 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2133 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Although I do sometimes have something to say to mouthy drivers, for the most part I just let the verbal harassment go. Buzz me or endanger me, and I will engage you. I have motioned for people to come back to discuss their actions with me. Only one ever took me up on it, and he apologized. Make no mistake about it, I am not a badass. I have had 5 shoulder surgeries and have half an artificial shoulder joint right now. Combing my hair is a challenge. I just don't suffer threats casually.

I rarely have any issues though. I ride respectfully and choose my roads and my times on those roads carefully.
Old 08-12-19, 06:03 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2133 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by phillman5
1) Thanks buegelfrei for the text of the Berkley law, I sent that to each of my city councilors!

2) I think one way to defuse drivers is not give them anything to steam about. How many of us run stop signs? Don't do it, it gives them something to fume about (and chastise others that do, as drivers may take it out on you).

3) Further to gain favor with drivers obey all the laws and be polite, don't weave in and out of traffic or get in drivers way if easily avoidable. On some mountain road climbs I have stopped and pulled over to let cars pass.

4) I also try to help drivers. At an intersection, I get out of the right turn lane so drivers can turn right. Often a car will be a car length back, and especially if I notice they have the right blinker on, will motion for them to come on up and make their turn. I believe this builds good will.

5) If you do get into a conversation about not being on the street, and should be on the sidewalk, I point out at least here in New Mexico, metropolitan roads maintenance does NOT come from gas taxes, but property taxes, and I do pay my share of those. I ask how much they pay in property taxes (most low lifes are probably renters (spam me for making assumptions if you want) and I didn't say renters were low lifes). I remind drivers of that, and ask where is it posted no bicycles on this stretch.

One of my most confusing incidents was with a motorcycle. I thought motorcyclist and cyclist were in this together against idiotic car drivers. But once the passenger on a motocycle held out his right hand and thumped the back of my head real hard.

Stay safe my friends, we're no match to a car.
I will continue to break traffic laws when it serves the greater good of my safety and overall traffic flow. I don't feel any duty whatsoever to appease law breaking motorists by not breaking the law. Drivers steam about our mere presence on the road. They steam about our "Spandex." They steam about riders wearing jerseys with logos. They steam about us riding outside of the door zone of parked cars. They steam about us not paying taxes even though we do. They steam about all kinds of nonsensical crap that has nothing to do with them. There is something about cyclists that just causes motorists to steam, and I'll be damned if I am going to cater to their pettiness.

I absolutely work cooperatively with traffic when I bicycle. There are times I'll pull off the road to let traffic by if I need to. I am always looking to mesh with motor vehicle traffic as seamlessly as I safely can. I do it when I drive too. I even do it when I walk.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 08-12-19, 08:13 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Luckily I've never had much problem with harassment. I live in the Midwest in a rural area, and you'd think that the guys driving jacked-up pickups with huge mud tires would have little regard for cyclists. But generally everyone who passes me gives me plenty of room.

Only once would I consider myself to ever been "harassed," and that was once near the 4th of July when a couple of kids in a pickup threw a firecracker at me. Don't know if they were trying to scare me into wrecking or what, but it'll take a little more than a firecracker to make me lose control.
Old 08-12-19, 11:19 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
On the flip side I always make sure to give a nice little thank you wave to drivers who acknowledge me and wait to pull out from a side street in front of me.
Not the drivers that do weird **** just because they see a bike though. Just the courteous ones with what you can tell is a little extra bicycle awareness
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 08-12-19, 11:46 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
Like downhillmaster, I wave, smile, and mouth "thank you!" to drivers who go out of their way to be courteous to me. And most motorists are reasonable and even courteous. I have also, on one or two occasions, chased down a motorist in order to apologize after I've done something boneheaded. I think we need to help create positive feelings towards cyclists.

I have only been harassed once or twice; more common is the motorist who endangers me through inattention or the mistaken belief that cars always have the right-of-way over bikes and even pedestrians. With such people, I'm not sure that calm logic will ever make a dent.

I did once chase down a woman who, in just one intersection, managed to endanger my wife twice while executing a turn. After catching her in her driveway, I explained just how much she'd be liable for in the event of a wrongful death lawsuit -- basically, the present value of my young (and very well-educated) wife's lifetime earnings stream. After running through the 'back of the envelope' calculations aloud, I asked if she had a couple million bucks in the bank - or at least that much insurance coverage. "Well, no...." was the answer.
Old 08-12-19, 12:24 PM
adablduya

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
While riding this past Sunday a young kid and his gf buzzed by me blaring their horn and shouting at me to get off the road. About a 1/4 mile up they had to wait at a stop sign so I caught up to them. I switched lanes and as I slowly rolled past his open driver side window I told him his gf is a skank.
The gutless punk didn’t even pull over.
The youth of today is in pretty bad shape
i had a very similar incident years ago. 2 punks thought it would be funny to shout insults as they drove by. i caught them 1/4 mile up the street at a red light. pulled up to the passenger window (it was rolled-up now...). tapped on it a few times. no reaction from either kid. tapped again, a little harder. again, nothing (i was looking for wet spots on their pants at this point...). i never said a word, just letting my menacing presence scare the crap out of them. very amusing !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.