Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Where is your knee in relation to axle 3 o clock.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-12, 01:33 PM
Nick Bain

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just slammed the seat forward on both bikes so my knee is over the spindle also bought a zero setback to acheive this on one bike. My calfs do not like this at all and I do feel slower and like not riding after the first half hour. I am wondering if Moving the cleats back all the way would help. Also I am 6'1'' and am contemplating trying a 54cm size as I have a 56 and 58 but if I move the seat back to where its more comfortable I would have to put a 80mm stem on which makes handling too twitchy.
Old 08-12-12, 01:41 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
KOPS is crap.

Why does your knee have to be in ANY relation to the pedals? Do the knees of recumbent riders spontaneously explode because the crankset is out in front of them?
Old 08-12-12, 01:54 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
I'm not here to help you, I'm just waiting for the inevitable temper tantrum when you don't get the advice you want.
Old 08-12-12, 02:17 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
KOPS is crap.

Why does your knee have to be in ANY relation to the pedals? Do the knees of recumbent riders spontaneously explode because the crankset is out in front of them?
thats a completely different riding position. Your knee SHOULD have relation to the foot placement. some just prefer it to be more for or aft. I like to have my knee over my spindle but thats what works and feels best for me. if it feels best for you to not have your knee over your spindle then dont. I started cycling on a 55 and went to a 54. I'm 5'10" and a 54 feels just right. I prefer a slightly smaller frame. I feel better fitting "on" the bike vs "in" the bike. Try a smaller frame if you have the ability to. you might like the feeling as I do.
Old 08-12-12, 02:46 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
incremental changes are best to allow your body to adapt. all this slamming will cause you extreme discomfort. it takes a while for your body to become accustomed to any changes. patience is your friend.

or perhaps you have a very irregularly shaped body. surgery might be necessary.
Old 08-12-12, 06:03 PM
SCochiller
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine is KOPS, or slightly forward, not that it matters.
Old 08-12-12, 06:34 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22583 Post(s)
Liked 8,923 Times in 4,156 Posts
KOPS is a general rule. It's a good starting point. Not dogma. Tweak incrementally per your preference.

BTW I ride KOPS and it seems to be a good fit.
Old 08-12-12, 06:34 PM
grasse

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Limited

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
KOPS is a good start but not exact science... https://sheldonbrown.com/kops.html
Old 08-12-12, 07:31 PM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Right now I cant tell you, changed the saddle for a wider one (same model but wider) and still cant find myself in the darn bike But im about KOPS almost all the time.
Old 08-12-12, 07:31 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
54 is quite small for someone that is 6'1". What is your inseam or saddle height? I am 5'11" and ride a 56 with a 110mm stem. Saddle 3 1/8" behind BB and 30 3/4" high.
Old 08-12-12, 08:42 PM
Nick Bain

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
31'' saddle height from the spindle on 175 mm cranks.

After 4 anti kops posts you can figure out why I would get surly. I did not even ask whether or not anyone agrees with kops. Yes I have read the kops articles.

To those who are runnning kops any idea why my calfs would be acting up?

part of the reason I am running kops is so can utilise a long enough stem.
Old 08-12-12, 09:42 PM
RedViola

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdedes
or perhaps you have a very irregularly shaped body. surgery might be necessary.

I've never adhered to KOPS, but isolating the problem(s) will be more difficult if you alter multiple factors simultaneously.

As long as the saddle forward position is only inducing muscle fatigue and not actual pain, I say give it a bit more time to before adjusting cleat position and/or frame size, if need be.
Old 08-12-12, 10:01 PM
lazerzxr

Bikes: Colnago C59 Italia Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 08-13-12, 01:32 AM
Werkin

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One of my knees is in front of the spindle, and the other over.

Originally Posted by Nick Bain
...I am wondering if Moving the cleats back all the way would help...
A good starting place is ball of the foot ahead of the pedal spindle, https://www.d2shoe.com/home/cleatplacement.html. For many shoes that means moving the cleat all the way rearward. If you've experienced toe numbness definitely move the cleats back.

...any idea why my calfs would be acting up?...
Pedaling toe down, heal up, when not accustomed can tense the calf muscles. Perhaps you were pedaling heel down with the seat positioned further back and now have changed? I tend to push with heel down from the back of the saddle, and spin toe down when on the nose. A large change in seating position can require an adjustment period for some people.
Old 08-13-12, 09:59 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I just slammed the seat forward on both bikes so my knee is over the spindle also bought a zero setback to acheive this on one bike. My calfs do not like this at all and I do feel slower and like not riding after the first half hour. I am wondering if Moving the cleats back all the way would help. Also I am 6'1'' and am contemplating trying a 54cm size as I have a 56 and 58 but if I move the seat back to where its more comfortable I would have to put a 80mm stem on which makes handling too twitchy.
Sounds like your fit is off across the board. I am 6'1" on a 58 with 140mm stem and a fair amount of setback...a bit over 100mm. How can you create any power riding in that position? KOPS is crap as mentioned by many.
As to calve pain...moving cleats back generally will help because it promotes less ankling and reduces leverage to the achilles. I ride with about 13mm aft of the ball of my foot.
Good luck in your search for a good fit...something we all try. A consideration is throw out everything you think you know about your fit and framesize and plug your nos. into the Competitive fit on line calculator. I bet it will give you a very different fit scenario than you are attempting on a small frame with short stem.

Last edited by Campag4life; 08-13-12 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-13-12, 11:22 AM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I change the fit of my bike my mm. There is no slamming, no plumb bobs, levels, strings, or rulers. If a body part hurts, I make a minor tweak to my fit. If it doesn't hurt I leave it alone.
Old 08-13-12, 11:30 AM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Behind.
Old 08-13-12, 03:52 PM
Trucker Dan

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your seat is too high. If your leg doesn't have enough bend at the 3:00 position, you're have to slam your saddle forward to get to kops.
Old 08-13-12, 04:26 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
To those who are runnning kops any idea why my calfs would be acting up?
When you change the dynamic of the way you pedal and apply force to your calves in a manner that it is not accustomed, you will be informed by way of your calves "acting up".
Old 08-13-12, 04:28 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Why does your knee have to be in ANY relation to the pedals?
If your knee is too far back on the downstroke (3:00), you will put additional stress on the patella tendon.

Do the knees of recumbent riders spontaneously explode because the crankset is out in front of them?
Recumbent fitting is a completely different ball of string. But yes, you can still get knee problems as a result of a poor fit on a recumbent.
Old 08-13-12, 04:31 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I am 6'1'' and am contemplating trying a 54cm size as I have a 56 and 58 but if I move the seat back to where its more comfortable I would have to put a 80mm stem on which makes handling too twitchy.
As usual, I think you'd benefit from working with a good fitter.

If you can't figure out whether to use a 54, 56 or 58 bike, I think you will really benefit from a fitter who can do your measurements, observe your pedal stroke, and identify issues. In most cases, the fit you get on one bike can be transferred to another, or the fitter can tell you how to set up the other bike.
Old 08-13-12, 06:51 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
do you have lobster arms?
Old 08-13-12, 07:13 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
If your knee is too far back on the downstroke (3:00), you will put additional stress on the patella tendon.
Bacci,
Can you sight your reference for this assertion? I am hard pressed to understand why any knee problems could accrue due to fore/aft rider position.
I will give you anecdotal reason why. There is major difference in rider fore/aft orientation of a road bike...or even a cruiser with massive saddle setback compared to a TT bike. This doesn't affect knee health.
Saddle distance from the crank is pretty critical of course due to knee bend...but would sure like to see an explanation based upon bio mechanics for what you say is true.
Also...define 'too far back' if you would.
Thanks
Old 08-16-12, 09:23 PM
Nick Bain

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pdedes
do you have lobster arms?
Yes both in length and in color.

Update: started a ride on tuesday, 2nd one with seat slammed, the first being on sunday, and knees were hurting above the knee cap in addition to calves and feeling slow. So I put the seat in the middle of the post. Now I feel like a pro. SO I can safely say kops was not working for me and I prefer the knee behind by about 1 inch. Just to shut out any doubt, in a kops fit would there be other factors that would stimulate knee and calf pain? the only other thing I can think of is cleat fore and aft.

Next I will try moving they cleats all the way back as that would move my foot forward and counter act the forward knee position.