Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

are all modern schwinn bikes created equal?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-16, 10:06 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts

Are modern lower end Schwinn bikes from local bike stores of the same quality as those from Walmart/Target? How can you tell if a used bike from Craigslist is from a LBS or Walmart? Is it pretty obvious? Are the newer higher end Schwinn bikes any good? Can they compete with the big brands? Just curious...
Old 04-21-16, 10:48 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
From my walking in the store and having to pick up bikes just to know how mine compare in weight to them, I'd venture a guess that even Schwinns from Wal-Mart differ vastly from Schwinns from somewhere like Dicks Sporting Goods, let alone Schwinns from the LBS (not that I have seen any Schwinns beyond cruisers in a LBS in a while).

Other than that, price point should give you an idea. A dozen or two bucks would indicate the same level of quality, a few hundred not. As far as CL, I can't say I browse that section of bikes often, but I'd think you'd want to look at the components to determine level of quality.

Last edited by jefnvk; 04-21-16 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-22-16, 04:44 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
Are modern lower end Schwinn bikes from local bike stores of the same quality as those from Walmart/Target? How can you tell if a used bike from Craigslist is from a LBS or Walmart? Is it pretty obvious? Are the newer higher end Schwinn bikes any good? Can they compete with the big brands? Just curious...
Schwinn have a "Signature" line which are sold exclusively at bike shops. They are better than the ones sold at Wal-mart/Targets, if for no other reason that they'll likely be assembled by someone who understands how a bike works.
Old 04-22-16, 05:57 AM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
Schwinn have a "Signature" line which are sold exclusively at bike shops. They are better than the ones sold at Wal-mart/Targets, if for no other reason that they'll likely be assembled by someone who understands how a bike works.
You took the words right out of my mouth.Especially that they are put together by someone competent.lol
Old 04-22-16, 06:22 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Just saw an article on a new road bike from Schwinn, offered only at LBS. Was nicely equipped SRAM components, and at the $1500 mark, but I haven't seen one in person.

The LBS I frequent carries them (and their sister company GT), though the Schwinns are almost exclusively cruiser style and kids. In the LBS they come in sizes, at the box stores they seem to be one size fits all? I haven't more than glanced at them though.

I have a mid-90's Schwinn hybrid I bought new at a LBS. It is a CrMo frame, decently equipped bike that I subsequently outfitted with fenders and racks and turned into a commuter. It was originally priced at the mid 300's at that time, and similarly equipped to today's $600 hybrid, it is still a nice bike. When I first started looking for its upgrade/replacement a few years ago, I thought for sure the newer aluminum clad hybrids were going to be its replacement, and I was shocked when nearly every model I picked up was heavier than my Schwinn (pre racks/fenders), aside from the Trek Fx line, which was possibly about the same weight. I'd estimate that without accouterments, it is around the 22lb mark, and the ones I've sort of tried to pick up in the box store are more in the 27-28 pound range or higher. that's probably at least one "tell" on the cheap ones versus the better ones.
Old 04-22-16, 06:30 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
2 years ago, I bought my son a used Schwinn Moab mountain bike from the early 2000s. I bought it privately from a bike mechanic after I inquired whether the shop he was working in sold any used mountain bikes. He said they did not currently have any bikes, but said he had a few projects he was working on and if I came back in a couple of days, he would have a bike built up and ready to ride.

The Moab came with Shimano Deore XT and LX components. I don't believe Wal Mart Schwinns came equipped with XT and LX components.
Old 04-22-16, 08:36 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Craptacular8
Just saw an article on a new road bike from Schwinn, offered only at LBS. Was nicely equipped SRAM components, and at the $1500 mark, but I haven't seen one in person.
I too would like to see this bike when it comes out this fall. I had emailed Performance Bikes asking them if they will sell this bike since they sell Schwinn's, they told me they don't have any plans on offering it. It seems like a nice bike.

First Look: Schwinn Vantage RX1 Adventure Bike | Bicycling
Old 04-22-16, 08:37 AM
kzin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think if the model is on here its a real bike -

Home | Schwinn Bicycles

Otherwise it may well be a wally BSO

I'm perfectly happy with my Cutter though I probably overpaid compared to some other possibilities
Old 04-22-16, 08:43 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
I think the Schwinn name is tarnished to the point where I probably would avoid buying one simply because if I ever wanted to sell it the potential buyers would be having the same dilemma: "Is this one of the good ones or one of the X-Mart bikes?"

I still wouldn't mind grabbing a nice vintage Paramount if I stumbled across a deal though.
Old 04-22-16, 10:30 AM
RockiesDad

Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
I think the Schwinn name is tarnished to the point where I probably would avoid buying one simply because if I ever wanted to sell it the potential buyers would be having the same dilemma: "Is this one of the good ones or one of the X-Mart bikes?"

I still wouldn't mind grabbing a nice vintage Paramount if I stumbled across a deal though.
So being a potential buyer of a Schwinn bike off of CL, I could probably get a pretty good bike if I knew what I was looking at. I then could tell the seller I saw this at Wally World for $100 and bargain down from there. Could be a win situation for me...
Old 04-22-16, 10:41 AM
RockiesDad

Originally Posted by dr_lha
If I were Schwinn, I would start a "Signature Premium Plus" line of bikes and have it be "made in America". It would be marketed as an exclusive line of high end premium bikes to bring back the Schwinn brand name that been tarnish as mentioned above. Go to all the biking events and start sponsoring up and coming riders to get their name out again as a brand to be reckoned with. Their new $1500 adventure bike is headed in the right direction though...

Just my thoughts...
Old 04-22-16, 10:43 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

If I were Schwinn, I would start a "Signature Premium Plus" line of bikes and have it be "made in America". It would be marketed as an exclusive line of high end premium bikes to bring back the Schwinn brand name that been tarnish as mentioned above.
They kind of already did that, for a cost!

Schwinn Paramount Bicycle 75th Anniversary Project
Old 04-22-16, 11:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
What Schwinn bikes in Bike Shops? the Name was Sold and now they are more found in Mass Merchant stores.

Competence of the person removing it from the shipping carton and putting it on the sales floor is a Big Unknown..

Some people do Itinerant assemblies for a Lot of stores on a circuit, they get paid Piecework, so bring Power tools .

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-22-16 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-22-16, 11:22 AM
dr_lha

Originally Posted by fietsbob
What Schwinn bikes in Bike Shops? the Name was Sold and now they are more found in Mass Merchant stores.
Yes, Schwinn still sells bikes through LBS. The Schwinn Signature series is exclusive to "IBDs".
Old 04-22-16, 11:28 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Owner of the other bike shop Died , No More Schwinns Here . He doubled as the Locksmith in town.
Old 04-24-16, 11:03 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Most all bikes are built by robots in Taiwan or China. There's only a few large bike manufacturing companies. Brand names are meaningless. You have to develop a keen eye for quality. Remember, never confuse price with value.
Old 04-25-16, 06:00 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I have a Schwinn LBS bike. Top of the line tubing, quality Shimano Tiagra components and a sweet handling ride... not in the same league as the Big Box Store Schwinns.

I wouldn't compare them.
Old 04-25-16, 06:17 PM
GP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I were Schwinn, I would start a "Signature Premium Plus" line of bikes and have it be "made in America". It would be marketed as an exclusive line of high end premium bikes to bring back the Schwinn brand name that been tarnish as mentioned above. Go to all the biking events and start sponsoring up and coming riders to get their name out again as a brand to be reckoned with. Their new $1500 adventure bike is headed in the right direction though...

Just my thoughts...
That's kind of what Waterford has done.
Old 04-26-16, 03:15 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
So being a potential buyer of a Schwinn bike off of CL, I could probably get a pretty good bike if I knew what I was looking at.
Yeah, but the ratio of premium models to dept store models is probably like 0.000001 / 1.