Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Would you tour on a bike with a U-brake?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-13, 02:32 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts

I picked up a vintage Stumpjumper comp from CL for $125; I think it's a 1989 based on the frame and parts. It has a full Deore XT group (except for the front canti that someone swapped out) and the bike had clearly seen little use. I overhauled it and it is in fine shape other than the BB which will need replacing. So I'm seriously considering making this into a drop bar bike for touring. The dimensions are good (41 and 1/2 inch wheelbase, 17 inch stays) and the XT derailleurs and crank are in fine shape. I will need to change the wheels because I'm fairly certain it uses the old style Shimano uniglide cassettes that I don't think are readily available.

So the bike is perfect for a conversion to drops with bar end shifters but it has a u-brake on the rear. I'm skeptical that this is a good choice for a loaded touring bike esp. after reading this https://sheldonbrown.com/canti-u.html. I suspect these things don't have as much stopping power as cantis (not as big a deal on the rear brake but still you need good stopping on a touring bike). Sheldon Brown wrote that the mechanical advantage decreases as the brake is applied harder and they're somewhat prone to slipping out of adjustment as compared to cantis. Plus you can't readily visually inspect them the way you would cantis. Thoughts? I love the bike and it would make a great tourer other than perhaps that darn u-brake on the rear:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0750.jpg (68.7 KB, 67 views)
IMG_0752.jpg (60.7 KB, 69 views)
Old 05-23-13, 04:00 PM
zzzwillzzz
shut up and ride

Bikes: supersix hi-mod,burley duet tandem,woodrup track,cannondale cross,specialized road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's not a big deal, the brake will work fine, ride it and see
Old 05-23-13, 04:04 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by zzzwillzzz
Thx; that's what I suspected but I was curious whether anyone had actually used one of these for touring. The bike geometry on the specialized stumpjumper is great and I have the parts lying around to do the conversion.
Old 05-23-13, 08:51 PM
stevepusser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Hmmm--I thought you could slip a non-Uniglide cassette with the same number of cogs onto your freehub. Or does it have some custom spline configuration?

I too think the U-brake will be fine. You get most of the stopping power from the front canti, anyway.
Old 05-23-13, 09:28 PM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Yes I would and have toured on a bike with U brake. If your that concerned with the braking ability why not chuck on a Surly (or similar) fork with BB7 disk brake? Most braking is done with the front anyway and the rear U can be used for feathering and speed adjustment. Sounds like a good bike for a great price.
That would have been a real quality bike in its day with stand out features. I had a similarly set up Haro Extreme back in the day and never thought of the U brake as dysfunctional or a hindrance. If you hadnt read Sheldons opinion you might just have to form your own
Sheldon loved old English Raleighs which came out with chrome rims, which when wet seemed to accelerate under braking and I bet it never stole any of his enjoyment riding them.

Hmmmm hang on a minute, drop bar? I'd want to check that the levers your using would work as many dont work well even with V-brakes.
There are work arounds - be keen to hear how you get on.

Last edited by rifraf; 05-23-13 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-23-13, 10:18 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Keep an eye on Pad wear.. because the brake pivots are above the rim,
as the brake pads wear they move towards the Tire, Had bikes in the shop
that the pad was half off the rim and wore through the sidewall ,
because the rider Ignored how thin the brake pads were getting.

as they wear , move them in the adjustment slot to remain gripping just the Rim.
Old 05-24-13, 03:23 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
bikemig, The rear U-brake really is a non issue, IMHO. You may want to change the rear hub simply for more gearing flexability.

Brad
Old 05-24-13, 03:55 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by zzzwillzzz
Agreed. Used my bike with "some old stuff" on two different outback Australia tours total of over 3500 km. Old stuff ( including my body) worked 4 me.

Attitude and perseverance works better than state-of-the-art equipment. Less expensive too, for older equipment, I mean ...
Old 05-24-13, 06:28 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
Tektro makes new ones: https://tektro.com/_english/01_produc...X&sort=2&fid=8
Old 05-24-13, 02:27 PM
arctos
40 yrs bike touring

Bikes: Bruce Gordon Ti Rock N Road [1989], Fat Chance Mountain Tandem [1988], Velo Orange Neutrino (2020)

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Original Shimano U-Brakes were adequate for touring if you upgraded the brake pads to Kool Stop Salmon pads or replaced them with the Suntour XC comp roller cam(Licensed from Cunningham) using those Kool Stop pads or became aware of the Wilderness Trail Bikes Cunningham Roller Cam Brakes. The WTB Cunningham Design is remarkable for braking function and power under all conditions and braking modulation is amazing even today.

I have been using three WTB roller cam brakes for the last 25 years on my Fat Chance Mountain Tandem- fork,chain saty and rear stay positions. The brakes just work very well under full load on and off pavement and the WTB pads last for years. I only wish that they were still being made.
Attached Images
HamBrake1.jpg (54.4 KB, 30 views)
Old 05-24-13, 02:38 PM
striknein
Goes to 11.

Bikes: 2015 Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bmx crowd still use u-brakes as well; Odyssey still sells one that is lightweight and grabs hard.
Old 05-24-13, 02:55 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by rifraf
. . . Sounds like a good bike for a great price.
That would have been a real quality bike in its day with stand out features. I had a similarly set up Haro Extreme back in the day and never thought of the U brake as dysfunctional or a hindrance. If you hadnt read Sheldons opinion you might just have to form your own
. . .
Hmmmm hang on a minute, drop bar? I'd want to check that the levers your using would work as many dont work well even with V-brakes.
There are work arounds - be keen to hear how you get on.
Yeah, I made the mistake reading what Sheldon wrote about u-brakes instead of just trying them out on a tour, . Good point about the drops, though; I have no idea whether bmx brakes work with road brake levers. Still the bike frame wise is just great for touring; you know it's over built chrome moly and the parts group is first rate. I know you can swap out the uniqlide cassette and add a hyperglide one off an old hub; or I might just build up a new rear wheel with some bulletproof rim like a sun rhynolite. This bike has a 130 rear and I should probably spread it to 135 for touring anyhow.
Old 05-24-13, 10:29 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by arctos
I have been using three WTB roller cam brakes for the last 25 years on my Fat Chance Mountain Tandem- fork,chain saty and rear stay positions. The brakes just work very well under full load on and off pavement and the WTB pads last for years. I only wish that they were still being made.
Charlie Cunningham is still out there, and still makes a handful of these. I think it's mainly toggle-cams now though.
Attached Images
7615685380_41b4cb8c1a_n.jpg (57.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 05-24-13, 10:51 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i think there were uniglide/hyperglide freehubs offered by shimano at one time, but if your Stumpjumper is like mine, and mine came with a U-brake too, then yours is, as you suspect, uniglide only. if so, i would suggest getting one of these https://www.treefortbikes.com/product...FUlxQgodjggAWA. you can remove your freehub from the hub shell with a whopping hex wrench (after removing the axle). then you can get any modern 7 speed shimano hyperglide cassette you want.

if you are set on drop bars, i've had good results with cyclocross brake levers on those brakes. they can be run alone and are made to fit both old and new road bar handlebar diameters. check out ebay for 'em. here's a pic for reference. https://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...ll-silver.html

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 05-24-13 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-24-13, 10:55 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
i think there were uniglide/hyperglide freehubs offered by shimano at one time, but if your Stumpjumper is like mine, and mine came with a U-brake too, then yours is, as you suspect, uniglide only. if so, i would suggest getting one of these https://www.treefortbikes.com/product...FUlxQgodjggAWA. you can remove your freehub from the hub shell with a whopping hex wrench (after removing the axle). then you can get any modern 7 speed shimano hyperglide cassette you want.
Cool; this will make the wheels a lot more serviceable.