Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Grand Bois vs. Compass Chinook Pass 700x28

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-14, 10:14 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Grand Bois vs. Compass Chinook Pass 700x28

Hello. I have a set of Continental Gator Skins on my distance bike now and I think most all will agree - Yuck. I cannot wear them out fast enough but they came on a set of wheels I bought so I opted to wear them out before I tossed them. They are pretty flat resistant but not much else good to say about them. I am looking to upgrade to either the Grand Boise Cerf Green ($57) or Compass Chinook Pass ($76). What are your thoughts between these two tires or are there others I should consider? Is the Grand Bois worth an extra $20 per tire? How are they both for flat resistance, speed, comfort and handling?

Thanks,

Don
Old 12-30-14, 02:01 AM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have used both the equivalent 32mm variations. Both are excellent tires that are difficult to tell apart. In my experience the black wall compass tires last longer than the gumwall GB. I have never had a sidewall break on the Extra Legre Compass, but the GB deteriorated in LA smog. Cost per mile is probably a wash. You will not be disappointed with the ride or performance, which are a revelation. Short of thin race day tires, you won't do better.

These are not puncture resistant tires. I probably averaged twice as many flats compared to tires with puncture protective layers, which for me is a weekly occurrence. Since adding Slime Pro sealant I get no flats. Cake.
Old 12-30-14, 09:49 AM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Originally Posted by catgita
I have used both the equivalent 32mm variations. Both are excellent tires that are difficult to tell apart. In my experience the black wall compass tires last longer than the gumwall GB. I have never had a sidewall break on the Extra Legre Compass, but the GB deteriorated in LA smog. Cost per mile is probably a wash. You will not be disappointed with the ride or performance, which are a revelation. Short of thin race day tires, you won't do better.

These are not puncture resistant tires. I probably averaged twice as many flats compared to tires with puncture protective layers, which for me is a weekly occurrence. Since adding Slime Pro sealant I get no flats. Cake.
Thanks. Does the Slime Pro affect rolling resistance or add significantly to rolling weight?
Old 12-30-14, 10:20 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I'm using the 700x27 Challenge Parigi-Roubaix and the 700x32 Compass Stampede Pass. Both of these tires are approximately 30mm wide. The Compass tire is as light as the Parigi-Roubaix, but I'm expecting it to be more durable and possibly a little more flat resistant. I've only had 1 flat with the Parigi-Roubaix and none with the Stampede Pass, but the Stampede Pass has only a little use so far.

You might widen your research, there are several high performance tires with some flat resistance that perform very well in the 27 to 30mm width range. See: https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/T...tout_4059.html

I'll also recommend the Vittoria Corsa tire: Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX III | Competitive Cyclist

The 700x25 size measures 27mm wide on a 23mm wide rim. The lighter and faster Vittoria Corsa CX is as smooth, as flat resistant and as durable as I expect the Compass tires to be.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-30-14 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-30-14, 11:22 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Some racers are using the Michelin PRO4 Endurance tires for racing as well as training. The 25mm measures 27.6mm on my bike after a week's inflation. Very good cut and flat resistance. 245g, 110tpi, and low rolling resistance.
Old 12-30-14, 09:41 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Thanks. Does the Slime Pro affect rolling resistance or add significantly to rolling weight?
Ride quality is unaffected. Adding 1.5oz of liquid to a tire obviously adds weight, but any affect on rolling resistance is negligible compared to less supple tires. The fluid spins with the tire and adds no stifness. I can't feel the difference, but I didn't redo the BQ tests. Jan said he wanted to test sealants.

One word of warning, the sealant can make a mess of a bike without fenders when you do get a larger puncture.
Old 12-30-14, 11:47 PM
dwmckee

Great, thanks for the info. I have not tried sealant yet buy have heard it can be a mess. I do have fenders though. Does it work equally well on tubes and tubeless tires?
Old 01-04-15, 08:07 PM
zzzwillzzz
shut up and ride

Bikes: supersix hi-mod,burley duet tandem,woodrup track,cannondale cross,specialized road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the michelins. also try the vittoria rubinos. the 25s aren't as big as the michelin's but also come in 28s and a lot cheaper too.
Old 01-04-15, 08:23 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
...Grand Boise Cerf Green ($57) or Compass Chinook Pass ($76)...
I have been faced with the same decision several times. I always end up convincing myself to get the expensive ones and have not regretted it.
Old 01-07-15, 01:15 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
I am looking to upgrade to either the Grand Boise Cerf Green ($57) or Compass Chinook Pass ($76). What are your thoughts between these two tires or are there others I should consider? Is the Grand Bois worth an extra $20 per tire? How are they both for flat resistance, speed, comfort and handling?

Thanks,

Don
The Chinook Pass is lighter by about 20gm by using a lighter, more supple carcass, not thinner tread, according to Compass. So the more expensive Chinook Pass will ride a little it better, but lifetime should be the same.

I'm using GB Cerf Greens now, getting roughly 2000 miles out of a rear after it's been on the front first for that distance and don't seem to have any more flats (very few) with them than any other tires in my last two decades of experience, but plan to get Chinook Pass next time around. According to Bicycle Quarterly tests, GB tires have very low rolling resistance, certainly feel nice and handle just fine. They haven't tested the Compass versions, but they should be very similar.

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2012/0...ance-of-tires/

I've swapped in wheels with the bigger Cypres 32mm GB tires on the same bike - rough road comfort seems essentially identical and the steering "slows" a bit with the bigger tires. FWIW, I run the Cerfs at 75/90 psi, and the Cypres 10 psi less.

Last edited by Dfrost; 01-07-15 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-07-15, 07:06 PM
dwmckee

Thanks for the info! I think I am going to go with the Chinook Pass
Old 01-07-15, 09:55 PM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got both and they seem similar to me. I would say the same but they are on two different bikes. I *think* they are both made by Panaracer.