Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Do you take the tour in your mind before you get on the road?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-10, 01:27 AM
k9power

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do you visualize a tour in your mind before you start out?
I can already see I am going to do this.
Old 05-22-10, 03:31 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
No.

On most of my tours, I knew where the plane should land, and I knew approximately the direction I'd head at some point after the landing, but I don't plan my tours in great detail ... so it would be hard to visualise a tour every step of the way. Plus it is hard to visualise a tour if you're not sure what sort of scenery, terrain, towns, etc. etc. you're going to go through on any given day.

It's a tour ... it's not a race or randonneuring event. When you tour, you're just out there for fun. If you go here, that's OK. If you change your mind and go there, that's OK. If you decide to stay in one spot for a week, that's OK. If you decide to extend the tour by a couple weeks, that's OK. If you decide to end the tour early, that's OK. You're free to do what you want to do out there. Why wouldn't you be able to do a tour?

You're probably better off living in reality rather than a dream world prior to the tour. Get out there and ride. Ride 5-6 days a week. Commute, ride after work, ride on the weekends. On the weekends, cycle back-to-back rides of the distance you think you'd like to ride on the tour ... or longer. Do practice tours over the weekends to test your gear, bicycle handling, etc. Practice climbing hills with panniers on the bicycle. Practice riding into the wind. Ride in good weather. Ride in bad weather. Get experience. With actual, real life experience you'll be so much better equipped to handle whatever you encounter on the tour.

Last edited by Machka; 05-22-10 at 04:10 AM.
Old 05-22-10, 05:16 AM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not as flexible as Machka. I tend to have a goal in mind, even if its just meeting a friend for coffee at location X. However, if I change my mind about the destination or the pace, that's okay. I love maps, and planning a route is to me nearly as much fun as the actual riding.

My bands:
Old 05-22-10, 09:45 AM
k9power

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They need an Onstar for bikers
Old 05-22-10, 05:55 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by k9power
They need an Onstar for bikers
Why?

Half the fun of touring is getting away from it all.
Old 05-22-10, 06:09 PM
nancy sv
family on bikes

Bikes: which one?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No - I don't have it planned out. What I enjoy about touring is the unexpected. How could I possibly dream up all the stuff that really happens?
Old 05-23-10, 09:43 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean. I have lots of images in my head of this summer's tour (Lewis and Clark from Portland to somewhere in Montana where I can catch a train) because I've perused so many journals on CrazyGuy that have pictures. I've also driven the Columbia Gorge a few times so I know what it looks like. I almost wish I'd never been there so that it would all be new, but oh well. Once I leave I-84 it will mostly be new.

I plan my tours as carefully as possible, including a night by night itinerary, but I know I'll probably vary from it a lot. I like to have an approximate idea of where I'll be when, and were I will likely stay. However, I don't really get serious about planning a day's ride until the day before, and I'll often consider options that I don't finally decide on until I get there - like should I stay in this campground or ride another 20 miles to the next one? I'll decide when I get to the first one. I've even cut a day's ride short because I stumbled upon a nice campground, and felt like taking the rest of the day off. The no-schedules, spontaneous nature of touring appeals to me.
Old 05-23-10, 06:19 PM
k9power

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Why?

Half the fun of touring is getting away from it all.
Because I am spontaneous and could easily see myself getting off the course.
If I see a road and wonders where it leads, I might try and find out and get lost
Old 05-24-10, 04:46 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by k9power
Because I am spontaneous and could easily see myself getting off the course.
If I see a road and wonders where it leads, I might try and find out and get lost
If you are truly spontaneous, getting off course and trying roads you come across can be great fun ... without the technology.
Old 05-24-10, 05:04 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the question. If you mean do I plan every detail and try to figure out everything in advance then no. I do some planning, but it is pretty loose and I am likely to depart from the plan for some sections.
Old 05-24-10, 05:15 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by neilfein
I'm not as flexible as Machka. I tend to have a goal in mind, even if its just meeting a friend for coffee at location X. However, if I change my mind about the destination or the pace, that's okay. I love maps, and planning a route is to me nearly as much fun as the actual riding.
I love maps too ... especially paper maps. I like pouring over them and looking at this possible route over here, and that possible route over there. I would like to see this town, that mountain range, the beach over here, the lake over there. There are usually heaps of possibilities.

When I actually get out there, I carry a paper map ... often a fairly detailed tourist map ... so I can decide the night before, or on the day, or at a particular crossroad if I want to go left or right ... if I want to see the beach or mountain range ... if I want to go to that town or travel to the lake.

I'm usually aware of the possibilities, but in general, I prefer to reserve my final decision for the moment I'm faced with the decision.
Old 05-24-10, 05:33 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Other needed actions. With the Use of Google Maps, you can map it out. And it does not just have to be some mental imagery of what it might look like. You can use Google to actually visually see what is ahead along with it's physical relief..

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 05-24-10, 05:50 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by cyclezealot
Other needed actions. With the Use of Google Maps, you can map it out. And it does not just have to be some mental imagery of what it might look like. You can use Google to actually visually see what is ahead along with it's physical relief..
But ... doesn't that take away from much of the excitement and adventure of visiting a new and different place?
Old 05-25-10, 07:54 PM
JohnyW
Cycled on all continents

Bikes: see homepage (currently only in German)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

I have a hell of tours in my mind. If I decide for one I'll buy the flight ticket. If I purchase the ticket I start to plan my tour in detail. I don't like to travel informed. I tried to avoid such things like
"Have you visited xyz 100 km before?".

Thomas