Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

locks -- when and how sturdy of one to carry on a brevet?

Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-13, 09:34 AM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts

Maybe it's just years of city living and riding for transportation, but I've never left any of my bikes unlocked. However, I've seen lots of people doing this on rando rides -- how do you know when it's OK? Only in a group? And if you carry a lock, how much of one? Enough cable length to handle both QR wheels without taking a wheel off? Smaller? Right now I'm carrying a cable that is (if what I'm locking to is in the right place), just long enough to do so, plus a small padlock. But I was also the only one I saw lock up on a recent populaire, and I see lots of people's photos from brevets with bikes just strewn everywhere. Do you just watch it from the window?
Old 06-07-13, 09:55 AM
zzzwillzzz
shut up and ride

Bikes: supersix hi-mod,burley duet tandem,woodrup track,cannondale cross,specialized road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(almost) no one carries a lock
Old 06-07-13, 10:39 AM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about one of the titanium TiGr locks? https://tigrlock.com/

I carry one on my bike all the time. Doesn't weigh much and gives you a little piece of mind.
Old 06-07-13, 11:23 AM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Originally Posted by knobster
How about one of the titanium TiGr locks? https://tigrlock.com/

I carry one on my bike all the time. Doesn't weigh much and gives you a little piece of mind.
Well, the nice thing about the lightweight cable/padlock is that I already have one, and I can put it in my seat bag, and I won't hit my knees on it.

I realize most people don't, but how do you know when it's safe to leave a bike when you won't be able to watch it? I mean, most places I go on non-brevet rides, an unlocked bike is a goner, and a locked bike better not be one of the nicer ones on the rack.

Basically, I don't want people to laugh at me for carrying one, but I'd like to be able to stop for a restroom break...
Old 06-07-13, 11:36 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
That may depend on your area. Here locally, our rides are generally out in smaller more rural towns, and leaving an unattended bike for a minute isn't a problem. Then too, I'm usually not riding by myself, so if the area did look a bit sketchy, we'd just take turns staying with the bikes while others ran inside.
Old 06-07-13, 03:54 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

2.5' Kryptoflex cable: $5
3-combination suitcase lock: $3
total weight: 90g
peace of mind while bike is unattended: priceless
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0143.jpg (99.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 06-07-13, 06:59 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Even when doing my randonnees through rural Manitoba, I carried and used a very small, lightweight little cable lock. And several other fellow randonneurs carried small wire locks.

Chances are no one would have tried to steal our bicycles, and these locks would not have protected our bicycles from a serious thief, but kids play pranks sometimes, and these locks would have slowed them down a little.
Old 06-07-13, 09:48 PM
The Octopus 

Bikes: Dolan Forza; IRO Jamie Roy; Giant TCR Comp 1; Specialized Tri-Cross Sport; '91 Cannondale tandem; Fuji Tahoe MTB

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Never carried one. I take one to PBP, but that's only for locking up in SQY outside that huge shopping mall there.....
On randonnees, ain't no one gonna steel any of my crappy bikes. Couple of times I've been in dodgy areas I've pulled the skewer out of the front wheel as a security measure, but I was in some really, REALLY bad parts of town..........
Old 06-08-13, 07:07 AM
mander

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A good half measure is to just click your helmet strap through a wheel plus the frame. This means that someone who wants to take your bike for a joy ride must spend some time looking at it and figuring out what is going on, then trying to unclick the helmet. It complicates casual theft and is therefore a good deterrent.

Otherwise, the lightest flimsiest wire lock you can find is the next step up. IMO these kryptoflex cables are too heavy for the job, you can find skinnier cables.
Old 06-08-13, 07:31 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
almost all my long distance rides are solitary, and a "latte lock" offers considerable peace of mind when stopped and away from the bike. Really worth the extra weight for the peace of mind they provide.

On my rides thru San Francisco and the like, an aluminum alloy U-Lock is fabulous deterrent, and very light.

The U-lock is hanging off the Brooks rails, between the seatpost and the Carradice. out of the way, ready to provide moderate security for heavily travelled stops or big cities. On a 300k permanent in coastal California or the east coast, i might even carry the alloy lock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
goldengatetravelerscheck.jpg (97.5 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by Bekologist; 06-08-13 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-09-13, 08:45 PM
antimonysarah

Well, I carried one and didn't need it, but was glad I had it. (It's a lighter cable than that Kryptoflex one, but a heavier lock -- I should get a smaller lock for it at some point.) I was mostly just worried about people mocking me for carrying it, but a) it is evidently not that odd and b) randos seem to be much less fond of mocking people than other cycling groups. Which is awesome.
Old 06-09-13, 10:12 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
In the randonneuring world, cyclists have all sorts of different setups. If you get a chance to go to the PBP and look over the sea of bicycles there, there won't be any two setups that are identical. So ... some bring locks, some don't.
Old 06-09-13, 11:13 PM
FlatSix911

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...&MODE=SPECIALS

Cutter U-lock Sale $8.09

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...&MODE=SPECIALS

Cutter Noose N' Shackle 2.0 Sale $14.99

Last edited by FlatSix911; 06-29-13 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-12-13, 02:41 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Ring Lock on the front side of the seatstays perhaps? stops the rear wheel from Rolling..

then all you need is the cable to attach the bike to stuff .
Old 06-13-13, 07:54 PM
k7baixo

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Even when I'm alone, it's fairly simple to flash a smile and ask the store's clerk if I can bring the bike inside when I need to use the restroom. Otherwise, it stays outside where I can keep an eye on it. Of course, it's a recumbent so most people don't really know what they'd do with it if they did steal it.
Old 06-29-13, 07:00 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
In low risk situations, I often carry a "walk-off" lock. Just a 3' long, 3/16ths cable with a medium sized combination lock. Fits in a seat bag or jersey pocket. As mentioned above, it won't stop a serious thief as even a decent set of side cutting pliers would get through it, but it thwarts the opportunists who will spot an unattended bike and just ride off like it is theirs, or throw it into the back of a pickup. On organized rides, there are usually enough honest riders around that I don't worry too much about locking up when at the food stops or using the john.
Old 06-29-13, 05:09 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rode a perm today with the club. A couple hours out, I stopped by myself at a busy gas station/truckstop to use the facilities, and didn't spend the extra minute to lock up.

Maybe I'm just a city boy, but the whole two or three minutes in there I was visualizing my bike getting tossed into a pickup and disappearing over the horizon.
Old 06-30-13, 05:42 PM
Cyril 

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Every once in awhile on a longer brevet, I'll step out of the restaurant where I've just had lunch, look at my bike and say,"Damn, it's still here."Oh well...it's not going to ride itself.
Old 07-01-13, 07:35 PM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
I don't think I've seen anyone else lock up a bike at a club ride or brevet. I still can't get used to leaving the bike unlocked for 10 minutes outside a convenience store even next to 10 other unlocked road bikes, so I bring along the same cable lock (240g, steel cable) I use when going out shopping.
Old 07-09-13, 08:05 PM
microcord

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by joewein
I don't think I've seen anyone else lock up a bike at a club ride or brevet.
I can't speak about brevets but as for club rides yes I have seen it. (And in the very same Tokyo!)

For long rides I bring along a lock that I never otherwise use. It has an unnecessarily and wastefully long cable, thin enough to be easily cut but of course more of a deterrent than nothing at all. It was sold wound up in its own little wallet, and when stuck back within this it's rattle-free. I can't contribute anything else to group rides, but ask "Anyone want their bike locked up to mine?", which often gets grateful responses.
Old 07-12-13, 11:20 AM
thebulls

Bikes: SOMA Grand Randonneur, Gunnar Sport converted to 650B, Rivendell Rambouillet, '82 Trek 728, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 500, C'Dale F600, Burley Duet, Lotus Legend

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyril
Every once in awhile on a longer brevet, I'll step out of the restaurant where I've just had lunch, look at my bike and say,"Damn, it's still here."Oh well...it's not going to ride itself.
I'm glad I'm not the only one!

When I first started riding brevets I carried a tiny cable lock. But then I didn't use it because I didn't want to be fumbling with the lock while all my friends rode away from the controls. So then if I wasn't going to use the lock, leaving it behind saves a little weight. I make sure when I leave the bike alone to take wallet and cellphone with me. Also, my bike is seldom the nicest-looking bike in the line. Though I don't know how much risk that really removes.

Nick
Old 07-12-13, 11:50 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I'm glad to say I've never felt so bad on a ride that I wish someone took my bike But I'm definitely going to use that line as a joke.

I usually try to make my bike inconvenient to take. Plus, having Speedplay pedals seems to be a deterrent.