Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Shutter Precision hub feels a bit rough

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 11-21-13, 07:22 PM
Rhodabike

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Excuse me if this question has been posted before, I did a search and didn't come up with anything about this make of hub. Does anyone have one of these?
I'm building a new commuter up from scratch (first time I've ever done that) and decided to try a dynamo hub. I have a good light set, but was curious about them. So, i bought an Shutter Precision model PV8 from an overseas buyer. It's arrived and looks to be a quality piece of machinery, so I was a bit startled, when turning the axle by hand, to notice how rough it seems - as if it's clicking on gears internally.
Is that how it's supposed to feel? The last time I had a dynamo of any kind was about 25 years ago, a Sanyo bottom bracket generator that was quite a neat little item before it stopped working. I still have it and it doesn't feel like this.
Old 11-21-13, 08:01 PM
zzzwillzzz
shut up and ride

Bikes: supersix hi-mod,burley duet tandem,woodrup track,cannondale cross,specialized road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes. magnets are strong so you get the notchy feel.
Old 11-21-13, 08:03 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I think that's due to the strength of the magnets. It's a very efficient hub, so it's really a non-issue. I have a variety of dynohubs, the cheap ones are horrible to turn and also inefficient. Once you get it on your bike it's not going to be noticeable most of the time. There was a thread about vibration recently, I expect that the SP hubs will also vibrate at some speed or another
Old 11-22-13, 10:22 AM
ahultin

Bikes: 2003 Cannondale Jekyll 1000, 2014 Fuji Finest 1.5 (wife), 2008 Fuji Finest 1.0 (Daughter), 2012 Fuji Cross 2.0 (son), 2011 Cannondale Road Tandem 2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
I have had one and used it for about Months now. The strong magnets make for the notchy feel but once the wheel is built up you will notice a substantial difference. Once on the bike (we use ours on a tandem)I don't notice it at all.
Old 11-27-13, 07:57 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
I had the same question when I got a wheel built on an earlier SON. But on the bike with lights on, it's a gentle buzz, and the bike rolls very smoothly with long coasting distances. Probably not as long as my road bikes with nice racy tires and nice, smooth Campy hubs, but pretty darn long.

The electrical construction of all these generators is similar, and they all really should show some notchiness.
Old 11-28-13, 10:33 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
FWIW, the notchiness itself doesn't cause drag. When the magnets and poles are aligned it takes some work to turn the hub, but when riding that work is return when the hub pulls into alignment with the next pole. Some design are a bit less notchy because they employ more closely spaced pie-shaped pole pieces, which can reduce perceived vibration under some circumstances.