Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 02-23-18, 12:25 AM
krispenhartung

Bikes: S-Works Venge Dura-Ace DI2, KTM Strada 4000, Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3 (TT), Fuji Track Elite, BMC Trackmachine TR02

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Altimis
Hey guys, want to toss some randoms question here, I wonder.

What is your food supplements? this question probably belonged to Training/Nutrition forum but want to ask here because I been to local Track Velodrome recently.

I been experiments with Creatine, BCAAs (Xtend) and Whey Proteins atm. I never thought about food supplements like before... its give me decent result.
This is what I gag down every day:

GNC Beta Alanine (before workout...lactic acid buffer)

GNC Creatine (before workout and sometimes after)

GNC Mass Builder (after workouts about 600 calories per scoop, has both protein and carbs...I tend to consume 50% of the calories I burn in a workout for recovery, restore glycogen in the muscles, etc)

Egg white protein + hemp protein (60-70g sipped throughout the day with digestive enzymes, GNC greens, fruit, carrot juice, etc....read up on the enzymes, they will increase your absorption rate)

I sometimes put the GNC BCCAs in my water bottle during training.

Vitamin D4

GNC Mens Sports Vitamin

Tart Cherry Juice (in smoothies, daily...helps me sleep, plus is supposed to help with recovery)

GNC Triple Strength Fish Oil and Instaflex Advanced (anti-inflammatories....I suffer from degenerating lumbar disks and achy knees)

GNC C4 (only before high intensity workouts, and only in the morning, otherwise I'm up all night!)

Beet Juice Extract (this is a vasodilator and increases endurance) and 200mg of Caffeine (before races)...I start the beet juice 5 days before race day

The research on Beta Alanine, Creatine, and Beet Juice Extract is fairly solid, some legit studies with control/experiment groups, etc.

I don't eat grains or dairy....I eat chicken, fish, lots of veggies and fresh fruit, 2-3 smoothies of day packed with greens, berries, protein, etc. The basic idea is I maintain a continuous "drip" of protein throughout the day, mainly because your body can only absorb roughly 15-20g of protein in 1.5 hours, a bit more with digestive enzymes...so anything above that, you are crapping the remainder out and wasting your money. Unlike carbo-loading, you can't "protein load" :-)

I cut the grains out 6 months ago, after struggling with delayed recovery times. From what I can tell, I've been able to increase my training load with less soreness and fatigue. I can't cite all the research here, but it has to do with energy required to digest complex carbs vs. simple carbs, and interference with protein absorption. Also, we weren't eating modern grains 25K years ago, yet our digestive systems haven't evolve much since then. I'm also now very fanatically focused on consuming carbs and protein within 30 mins of my workouts. The lack of simple carbs in my system was partially responsible for the delay in recovery time.

K-

Last edited by krispenhartung; 02-23-18 at 12:32 AM.
Old 02-23-18, 03:04 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Wow.
Old 02-23-18, 04:41 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
my only caution on supplementing (especially from big box stores like gnc/vit world/etc) is if you are going to be tested. I'd be very cautious taking anything that wasn't NSF certified nowadays... cross contamination is a real problem.

Agree Beta Al, Beet juice and creatine show (in many studies) actual improvement. So does baking soda, although it's pretty redundant to take baking soda and beet juice.

Examine.com is a great website/resource if anyone didn't know about it. Easy search bar that brings up most of the studies done on whatever supplement you search for.
Old 02-23-18, 06:14 AM
tobukog

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Morelock
my only caution on supplementing (especially from big box stores like gnc/vit world/etc) is if you are going to be tested. I'd be very cautious taking anything that wasn't NSF certified nowadays... cross contamination is a real problem.

Agree Beta Al, Beet juice and creatine show (in many studies) actual improvement. So does baking soda, although it's pretty redundant to take baking soda and beet juice.

Examine.com is a great website/resource if anyone didn't know about it. Easy search bar that brings up most of the studies done on whatever supplement you search for.
I'd be shaking in my boots taking all that stuff. I used NSF certified Creatine out of competition (4 weeks) last year but I decided it's not worth the risk.
Old 02-23-18, 07:20 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I wouldn't touch anything with a GNC label on it, or really anything from GNC. GNC is well known for selling stuff that will get you popped on a doping test.

I've got whey protein that I purchase form Costco - NSF certified. I've also used BCAAs. They really helped me get through the DOMS when lifting - I no longer need them after every lifting session, just when I have extended breaks from lifting due to illness or injury.

I've done creatine on and off for many years. I'm not sure I experience much of the benefit.
Old 02-23-18, 08:44 AM
krispenhartung

Bikes: S-Works Venge Dura-Ace DI2, KTM Strada 4000, Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3 (TT), Fuji Track Elite, BMC Trackmachine TR02

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I wouldn't touch anything with a GNC label on it, or really anything from GNC. GNC is well known for selling stuff that will get you popped on a doping test.

I've got whey protein that I purchase form Costco - NSF certified. I've also used BCAAs. They really helped me get through the DOMS when lifting - I no longer need them after every lifting session, just when I have extended breaks from lifting due to illness or injury.

I've done creatine on and off for many years. I'm not sure I experience much of the benefit.
Very interesting, and good to know. I'm not willing to take the risk, especially with my first road race coming up in 40 days. Thanks for pointing that out. Although, after a quick search, I was not able to find a source citing a positive doping test by an athlete from taking a GNC product...but a lot of articles and forums with anecdotal information regarding banned substances, a lawsuit, ingredients in their products not in the label, etc. Is there a specific case?
Old 02-23-18, 09:24 AM
SyntaxMonstr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I take Nitrotech protein (with creatine included) before gym sessions and either ON's Whey Isolate, BCAA's or Casein after, depending on the session and timing. I tried beet juice during my rugby days but didn't see any real benefit. Just started on Nitrotech so I don't know if there are any actual benefits to the creatine or whether my strength block is just going well, haha.
Old 02-23-18, 09:29 AM
topflightpro

I can't point to anything. I have just heard many times that going to GNC is a good way to get popped due to cross contamination with banned stuff.

Despite not having good evidence to back this up, I'm of the opinion that there is enough anecdotal comments to not bother with their stuff. I don't want to be one of those people trying to fight a positive test because I took something that seemed OK but was contaminated. I also couldn't really afford the legal or lab fees to fight it.
Old 02-23-18, 09:38 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
@krispenhartung, Watch this PBS Frontline documentary (54 minutes) and your opinion will likely change: Supplements and Safety | FRONTLINE | PBS

Dietary Supplements are a largely unregulated market.

Here's one scenario:

- Guy creates "Steve's Super Vitamins" using legit ingredients.
- Nobody buys them because the market is saturated.
- Guy adds Chemical X to the Super Vitamins V2. (Chemical X is banned in sport. But, 99.99999% of consumers will never be tested)
- Super Vitamins V2 works like crazy. Forum chatter is nuts. "IT WORKS!! I'm ripped and feel AMAZING!!"
- Bodybuilding bros eat it up.
- PROFIT.
- Athlete reads the stellar reviews and the ingredients list and is like, "All natural, all gains, nothing that will get me banned. SWEET!"
- Takes Steve's Super Vitamins.
- Wins
- Gets drug tested and they find Chemical X in his system.
- Athlete is confused af...and pissed.

There was a masters trackie that got popped maybe 5 years back for taking something from GNC ("Jack3D", from GNC maybe? That name is in my head with this story.) and won at track nationals, got tested, got popped and was embarrassed.

Last edited by carleton; 02-23-18 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-23-18, 10:58 AM
krispenhartung

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
@krispenhartung, Watch this PBS Frontline documentary (54 minutes) and your opinion will likely change: Supplements and Safety | FRONTLINE | PBS

Dietary Supplements are a largely unregulated market.

Here's one scenario:

- Guy creates "Steve's Super Vitamins" using legit ingredients.
- Nobody buys them because the market is saturated.
- Guy adds Chemical X to the Super Vitamins V2. (Chemical X is banned in sport. But, 99.99999% of consumers will never be tested)
- Super Vitamins V2 works like crazy. Forum chatter is nuts. "IT WORKS!! I'm ripped and feel AMAZING!!"
- Bodybuilding bros eat it up.
- PROFIT.
- Athlete reads the stellar reviews and the ingredients list and is like, "All natural, all gains, nothing that will get me banned. SWEET!"
- Takes Steve's Super Vitamins.
- Wins
- Gets drug tested and they find Chemical X in his system.
- Athlete is confused af...and pissed.

There was a masters trackie that got popped maybe 5 years back for taking something from GNC ("Jack3D", from GNC maybe? That name is in my head with this story.) and won at track nationals, got tested, got popped and was embarrassed.
This is why I basically come back to these main supplements: Beta Alanine, Beet Juice Extract, Creatin....oh, Sodium Bicarbonate. But I plan on going back to the original manufacturers I bought these from, which have been accepted and vetted by the cycling industry. I was very comfortable with Endurance 360s supplement, which includes beta and creatine. I was getting Beet Juice extract from Red Rush. All the GNC stuff is going in the trash today. ;-)
Old 02-23-18, 11:14 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by krispenhartung
This is why I basically come back to these main supplements: Beta Alanine, Beet Juice Extract, Creatin....oh, Sodium Bicarbonate. But I plan on going back to the original manufacturers I bought these from, which have been accepted and vetted by the cycling industry. I was very comfortable with Endurance 360s supplement, which includes beta and creatine. I was getting Beet Juice extract from Red Rush. All the GNC stuff is going in the trash today. ;-)
To clarify, I'm not commenting on any particular products. Just the market in general.

Personally, when I take supplements, I stay away from premade "stacks" and "roll my own" with products that are only 1 thing. So, instead of buying "Super Stack Whatever with Creatine and Beta Alanine...." (and god knows what else). I'll buy products that are (claim to be) purely creatine and beta alanine separately. That's not a perfect solution. But, it's how I do it.

The supplement store folks love pushing stacks. Especially GNC who seem to staff more bodybuilder and workout bro types. Vitamin Shoppe usually has more just warm bodies with no opinions that will ring up your order.
Old 02-23-18, 11:54 AM
topflightpro

IIRC, Vitamin Shoppe is very prominent on the NSF list.
Old 02-23-18, 12:18 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Kaiser Permanente (KP) has a comprehensive site that includes effectiveness and lists of USP certified products.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database Consumer Version

As a member of KP I can talk to pharmacists and dieticians at no or minimal cost.
Old 02-23-18, 12:44 PM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
personally, I got turned onto Thorne Research supplements a few years back. They're the only one's I trust now. (although there are some other's that do pretty heavy testing as well, Thorne has a good history of it)
Old 02-23-18, 06:55 PM
krispenhartung

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SyntaxMonstr
I take Nitrotech protein (with creatine included) before gym sessions and either ON's Whey Isolate, BCAA's or Casein after, depending on the session and timing. I tried beet juice during my rugby days but didn't see any real benefit. Just started on Nitrotech so I don't know if there are any actual benefits to the creatine or whether my strength block is just going well, haha.

I read a study that showed that dark chocolate, already known to be a vasodilator, was more effective than beet juice. I can't find the original study, but here are two studies on dark chocolate itself, one focused on cyclists using 20 min 80% Ftp and 2 min time trials.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4678700/ - cycling
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17984375 - vasodilation measurement

One more: https://www.nutraingredients.com/Art...ce-study-shows

Excerpt

Results
DC (dark chocolate) consumption increased GET (gas exchange threshold) and TT performance compared to both BL (baseline) and WC (P < 0.05). DC consumption increased V.O2max by 6 % compared to BL (P < 0.05), but did not reach statistical significance compared to WC (white chocolate). There were no differences in the moderate-intensity cycling for V.O2, RER, BLa and heart rate between conditions, although, V.O2 and RER exhibited consistently lower trends following DC consumption compared to BL and WC, these did not reach statistical significance.

Conclusion
Chronic supplementation with DC resulted in a higher GET (gas exchange threshold) and enhanced TT performance. Consequently, ingestion of DC reduced the oxygen cost of moderate intensity exercise and may be an effective ergogenic aid for short-duration moderate intensity exercise.

K-
Old 02-23-18, 09:04 PM
krispenhartung

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Morelock
personally, I got turned onto Thorne Research supplements a few years back. They're the only one's I trust now. (although there are some other's that do pretty heavy testing as well, Thorne has a good history of it)
I'll check them out. Endurance 360 has a good reputation. They have a product that is very popular with athletes that has both beta alanine and creatine in it, with a few other things they call out on the label.

https://www.endurance360.com/blogs/e...ping-testing-1

I just returned back to it and have a monthly subscription.

https://www.endurance360.com/product...lete-endurance

K-
Old 02-24-18, 03:58 PM
Altimis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
@krispenhartung

wow that's impressive lists!

GNC Mass Builder (after workouts about 600 calories per scoop, has both protein and carbs...I tend to consume 50% of the calories I burn in a workout for recovery, restore glycogen in the muscles, etc)
That's very interesting idea of Mass Gainer usage I really never ever thought of Mass Gainer in the way like that before. I usually (try to) gorged down foods to hits macros I needed after training session and find that my body are not handle it well... end up bloated and felt guilty (lol).

Mass Gainer usually have big loads of nutrition (and calories to put on mass) I think I will try it sometimes. For easier on stomach and macro.

I am full aware that I better eat well first (and balance, ofc) before turns the head to food supplements but sometimes its sucks... my body just sucks like this since birth unable to handle nutrition properly or something. Like proteins will be put into fat storage right away as soon as I put it in the mouth, hah.
Old 02-24-18, 05:29 PM
krispenhartung

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
@krispenhartung

wow that's impressive lists!

That's very interesting idea of Mass Gainer usage I really never ever thought of Mass Gainer in the way like that before. I usually (try to) gorged down foods to hits macros I needed after training session and find that my body are not handle it well... end up bloated and felt guilty (lol).

Mass Gainer usually have big loads of nutrition (and calories to put on mass) I think I will try it sometimes. For easier on stomach and macro.

I am full aware that I better eat well first (and balance, ofc) before turns the head to food supplements but sometimes its sucks... my body just sucks like this since birth unable to handle nutrition properly or something. Like proteins will be put into fat storage right away as soon as I put it in the mouth, hah.
I guess maybe we should consider a mass gain not from GNC, based on the discussion here! :-o

I basically switched to my prior mass gainer before I had bought the GNC stuff a few months ago. It's a lot more simple and doesn't have a list of ingredients a mile long. Here it is, formulated for approx. 600c of recovery, both protein and carbs, non-dairy.

- 1 scoop of organic egg-white protein
- 3-4 tablespoons of organic 100% hemp seed (or hemp protein)
- 2 scoops (about 4-10 tbsp) of 100% Dextrose (it doesn't get any more basic than this, when it comes to carbs)
- 8-12 oz of almond milk or Silk almond/cashew milk
- A few handfuls of frozen blueberries, berries, or your choice of fav fruit)
- 2 capsules of digestive enzymes

Hemp protein is pretty amazing stuff. It has the essential fatty acids omega-3 and omega-6 in a 3:1 ratio, plus 20 essential amino acids. Plus it has magnesium, iron, potassium, and calcium. And it digests and absorbs efficiently.

It has everything you need in there for muscle repair and glycogen replenishment in the muscles, plus it's absolutely delicious. :-)

K-
Old 02-24-18, 06:26 PM
Altimis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
@krispenhartung

Thank you very much, I am really appreciated your input will try your formula sometimes.

So far so good, I got BCAAs (with appropriate workout plan) and Whey isolate for recovery, its seems works well for now. Next time I may try something new. Thanks again!
Old 02-24-18, 06:46 PM
krispenhartung

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
@krispenhartung

Thank you very much, I am really appreciated your input will try your formula sometimes.

So far so good, I got BCAAs (with appropriate workout plan) and Whey isolate for recovery, its seems works well for now. Next time I may try something new. Thanks again!
Or you can just eat a peanut butter and jelly, with banana, sandwich! ha ha
Old 02-24-18, 07:04 PM
southernfox

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
FYI, you often don't know what goes into GNC products...and it's a good way to get popped for doping unintentionally.
Old 02-24-18, 08:02 PM
carleton
Elitist

Or you can just eat a peanut butter and jelly, with banana, sandwich! ha ha
Yup. And Honey is as good a gel as any $2/packet gel on the shelf at the bike shop.

Keep a plastic bottle of honey in your gear bag for the track and you can buy boxes of single serving packets (or get free packets from Starbucks) for your road rides

Last edited by carleton; 02-24-18 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-24-18, 10:14 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I can't point to anything. I have just heard many times that going to GNC is a good way to get popped due to cross contamination with banned stuff.

Despite not having good evidence to back this up, I'm of the opinion that there is enough anecdotal comments to not bother with their stuff. I don't want to be one of those people trying to fight a positive test because I took something that seemed OK but was contaminated. I also couldn't really afford the legal or lab fees to fight it.
If you're in North America, then look into supplements manufactured in Canada. Supplement companies up here have to abide by the same regulations and protocols that govern the pharmaceutical industry. WAY LESS chance of contamination/cross contamination.
Old 02-25-18, 04:06 AM
SyntaxMonstr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yup. And Honey is as good a gel as any $2/packet gel on the shelf at the bike shop.

Keep a plastic bottle of honey in your gear bag for the track and you can buy boxes of single serving packets (or get free packets from Starbucks) for your road rides
https://www.hammernutrition.com/products/hammer-flask/

Or use this for your road rides.
Old 02-25-18, 10:09 AM
krispenhartung

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Definitely no reason to buy those expensive gels. Same for electrolytes. People spend thousands on that stuff and you can make it in your own kitchen with salt and lemon/lime juice. For in-race fueling (not just recovery), I know many guys on the road side who just use dextrose, which I mention above as a simple sugar that absorbs quickly. I have a hard time eating and breathing on the bike, so I tend to just put my fuel in my water. I do the math on what my carb needs will be and put that much dextrose in my water. Honey is good too, which is a combo of fructose and dextrose (which converts to glucose in the blood). So dextrose is your most efficient "main line" carb to restoring glycogen in the muscles. You can buy these little squishy, re-usable bottles that will hold about 5oz of liquid and put both honey and dextrose in them. Bam! There you go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.