Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Comfortable bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-19, 08:42 PM
taz9803

Bikes: Trek FX S5, Specialized 2019 Tarmac Disc Road Bike Comp LTD Sagan Collection

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Comfortable bike

a friend of mine sees me riding and already know what type of bike he wants not able to understand how we ride. long story short, he wants a straight bar (comfortable bike) Does anybody have any subjection? since i know, it will only last a season before he changes his mind and want something else. at least top 5 for a guy complaining about pain before he gets the bike. thanks everyone.
Old 12-11-19, 08:45 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Thread moved from Feedback forum to General Cycling Discussion forum.
Old 12-12-19, 08:50 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by taz9803
Does anybody have any subjection?
Start over. What is your question? Simply?
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 12-12-19, 08:54 AM
taz9803

Bikes: Trek FX S5, Specialized 2019 Tarmac Disc Road Bike Comp LTD Sagan Collection

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Start over. What is your question? Simply?
sorry for the confusion. I need recommendation on a comfortable bike for an older man.lol
Old 12-12-19, 09:25 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
sorry for the confusion. I need recommendation on a comfortable bike for an older man.lol
Much better!
Likes For jadocs:
Old 12-12-19, 09:30 AM
taz9803

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
Much better!
he be stressing me .lol
Likes For taz9803:
Old 12-12-19, 09:43 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Have your friend at least look at recumbents. The whole point is that they are ultra comfortable. Think lazyboy with pedals.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 12-12-19, 12:43 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Your friend is a mature man? Take him to a bike shop and let him talk with the floor salesman and determine what he wants to test ride. He's paying, right?
Old 12-12-19, 12:47 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Does he ride where there are hills? Will he ride on the road or trails?

The recumbent suggestion is a good one if your friend is receptive to that. For a decent straight bar bike, the Cannondale Quick series bikes are nice. I helped a friend pick one out years ago and she loves it. My wife got one in 2012 and still over it as well. I have even considered one though I don't really need another bike like that. https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Pr...9-b13aff601fab
Old 12-12-19, 01:14 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
For an older man that is not a speed demon, absolutely a recumbent bike or trike is best for comfort.

What I have seen so many times is an older person wants to ride for exercise. A bike shop will sell him some sort of a mountain bike. After a few rides he finds his rump is sore and riding it is really no fun. That 3 to 500 dollar mountain bike get hung up in the garage, and 5 years later it is sold for $40 at a garage sale. OTOH a bent or a trike is not painful to ride, and the buyer will continue to ride it.

Note

The gung ho up right riders will dispute this and try to sell you on the "right" saddle and proper fitting. That of course is simply wrong. NOTHING comes even close to the comfort of a trike, or a recumbent bike.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 12-15-19, 08:40 PM
taz9803

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Your friend is a mature man? Take him to a bike shop and let him talk with the floor salesman and determine what he wants to test ride. He's paying, right?
yes, he got enough money.lol he went to the shop and they tried to sell him a beach bike. -_-
Old 12-15-19, 08:42 PM
taz9803

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was thinking about the same thing. he thinks he's riding with me and my friends. I don't know how to explain that they leave me behind at 23mph
Old 12-15-19, 08:44 PM
taz9803

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
Have your friend at least look at recumbents. The whole point is that they are ultra comfortable. Think lazyboy with pedals.
working on that
Likes For taz9803:
Old 12-16-19, 08:51 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

yes, he got enough money.lol he went to the shop and they tried to sell him a beach bike. -_-
The point of my question wasn't the money, actually. It was his personal responsibility to find his own answer. If he tells the shop that he wants to keep up with road riders at 23+ mph, then that changes the answer significantly. The shop employee can also help him to set reasonable expectations for himself based on his honesty/realism about his current shape, physical capacities, willingness to commit to work hard, and timeline for success.

If you were to talk him through these things, it might be offensive to him. If a shop does it, it's a professional service to him. That was what I was getting at...
Old 12-16-19, 09:51 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Don't know what you consider "older". I'll be 69 in a few days (still don't feel "old"), consider myself more of a recreational rider. I don't want to, nor could I, keep up with your friends at 23mph, even on my LeMond road bike-I'm fit and a fairly fast rider, but not 23mph fast. Before he goes bike shopping, I feel you owe it to him to explain that he may not be able to maintain pace he with you and your friends, regardless of the bike. That is, assuming that he won't be able to keep that pace. For comfort, he probably would do well on a hybrid. The hybrid section on here is good reading. If he isn't going to be riding with you due to pace, maybe he could find a Meetup group or bike club in the area with those that he would enjoy riding with, at his pace.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 12-16-19, 10:53 AM
taz9803

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The point of my question wasn't the money, actually. It was his personal responsibility to find his own answer. If he tells the shop that he wants to keep up with road riders at 23+ mph, then that changes the answer significantly. The shop employee can also help him to set reasonable expectations for himself based on his honesty/realism about his current shape, physical capacities, willingness to commit to work hard, and timeline for success.

If you were to talk him through these things, it might be offensive to him. If a shop does it, it's a professional service to him. That was what I was getting at...

you're making a great point. as of right now he's thinking of fast riding and you 're right maybe if he hears it from someone from the shop it makes more sense. I'm putting too many things in his head, thanks

Last edited by Homebrew01; 12-18-19 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-16-19, 10:58 AM
taz9803

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Don't know what you consider "older". I'll be 69 in a few days (still don't feel "old"), consider myself more of a recreational rider. I don't want to, nor could I, keep up with your friends at 23mph, even on my LeMond road bike-I'm fit and a fairly fast rider, but not 23mph fast. Before he goes bike shopping, I feel you owe it to him to explain that he may not be able to maintain pace he with you and your friends, regardless of the bike. That is, assuming that he won't be able to keep that pace. For comfort, he probably would do well on a hybrid. The hybrid section on here is good reading. If he isn't going to be riding with you due to pace, maybe he could find a Meetup group or bike club in the area with those that he would enjoy riding with, at his pace.
the old part was just to say he's complaining. I can't hang with some of my older friends. wasn't trying to implied anything about being old. I tried to tell him how we ride because he thinks he's coming with us but as I'm reading more answers I see I was explaining to him the wrong way. he needs to start slow with whatever bike makes him happy and let him experience the need for a new bike on his own, thanks for the response
Old 12-18-19, 06:53 PM
Umeme
Frontiers...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
a friend of mine sees me riding and already know what type of bike he wants not able to understand how we ride. long story short, he wants a straight bar (comfortable bike) Does anybody have any subjection? since i know, it will only last a season before he changes his mind and want something else. at least top 5 for a guy complaining about pain before he gets the bike. thanks everyone.
After six months or a year of relative serious driving he will sell that bicycle, or he will upgrade it with drop handlebar.

There are plenty of endurance bicycles on the market that are comfortable, some even have suspension, or systems that absorb bumps.

If he must have flat bar, Trek FX series, Canyon Roadlite, or similar bicycles... Tiagra 10 speed is fine, no need for something more on that kind of bike. If he want to be "different", Cannondale Badboy (Lefty fork)...
Old 12-18-19, 07:24 PM
Lab4Us

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport 3 in Volt

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
https://www.electrabike.com/bikes/townie
Old 12-18-19, 08:21 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts

This...And when things go wrong, you don't want him to have reasons to blame you.

Point him in the right direction, but he should make all the decisions.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 12-19-19, 07:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Ultimately, the question is what is he capable of riding right now, if he gets something that might work better for him later, but doesn't work for him now, he'll just stop riding.

One thing I think BF posters underestimate is how intimidating it is for someone who knows next to nothing about bikes to talk to a salesperson. We who know bikes can generally see when we're being handed sales pitch bs, the newbie can't, and is afraid of coming home with a white elephant or an unsuitable set of wheels.

Go with him to a LBS while he test rides some stuff. Sounds like he's worried about the salesperson selling him what he really doesn't want (a cruiser), and you can bring a different perspective when he has questions. I'd also avoid telling him what should work for him, no one really knows until they try.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-19-19, 08:31 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
"Perpendicular" straight bars may feel "comfortable" at first, but for some of us 50+ "parallel" drop bars are more comfortable in the long-run...or at least "swept-back" bars.
Homebrew01 is right...send him to an LBS and avoid putting yourself in a position that may incur future recrimination.
Old 12-19-19, 09:19 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
I was thinking about the same thing. he thinks he's riding with me and my friends. I don't know how to explain that they leave me behind at 23mph
He is a friend, it shouldnt be difficult to tell him what speed the group typically rides and that he(or really any beginner) wont be able to keep up.

him- "I am going to ride with your group."
you- "That would be really fun, but they ride frequently and are really fast and I am often left behind. Riding with the group is something you should work towards, but wont happen right away."

Pretty simple.
Likes For mstateglfr: