Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Narrow Rear carrier options

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-20, 05:39 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts

I've been racking my brain (get it?) about a rack that can fit a bike I am considering using for a commute. It's 5.5 miles one way with a few overpasses, so moderately easy. The outside faces of the dropout and eyelets are 130mm (is a 120mm old 5 speed frame). Upper mount would have to be seatpost clamp or brake bridge, there are no eyelets on the seatstays. I'm going to use a centerpull brake, which could complicate the mounting. Many, many racks are simply too wide and would require some bending to fit, or the use of spacers between the frame and the rack. I'm particularly fond of the Tubus Fly evo rack in silver, but the installation instructions specify 140-170mm lower attachment spacing, and not to exceed those values.

Tubus fly Evo in silver

I like the minimalist design and clean lines. I'd prefer to leave the rack on the bike full time, and I already own a pair of Ortlieb panniers that should clip on to any Tubus rack. I also like this unknown rack posted by randyjawa a couple of years ago, though I'm concerned about capacity (estimated about 20lbs of clothes, food, and tools & Lock max).
Originally Posted by randyjawa
There's a rack like this locally, but I'd have to buy the whole bike to get it. That means I could have it essentially for free, if I sell the bike on, but I don't want to go to the trouble if the rack can't support the expected weight.
I've also seen the modified Wald 215 rack posted in the forums, which I liked because of how narrow it ended up, though I'd prefer to avoid chopping up a rack.
Originally Posted by steppinthefunk
Pletscher is not favored by some on the forum, and I'm not sure I like the aesthetics of a Blackburn rack. What options are out there for silver racks under $70? Has anyone exceeded the specified spacing for Tubus racks?

Last edited by Unca_Sam; 02-06-20 at 07:57 PM.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 02-06-20, 01:53 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
https://www.axiomgear.com/products/r...iner-road-dlx/ , maybe? I have something similar (seat stay / cheerio version) on one of my hybrids, and the way it's set back helps a lot with heel clearance.

Plenty of love for the Pletschers over in the C&V section, and it would be at home on your frame.
Old 02-06-20, 02:21 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Originally Posted by madpogue
https://www.axiomgear.com/products/r...iner-road-dlx/ , maybe? I have something similar (seat stay / cheerio version) on one of my hybrids, and the way it's set back helps a lot with heel clearance.

Plenty of love for the Pletschers over in the C&V section, and it would be at home on your frame.
SHHHH! Every time someone talks about Pletschers, Grand Bois comes around to trash them!

As for the Streamliner Rack, I'm considering it! It only comes in black though, so the consideration includes a chemical strip or a blasting to get the (assumed to be) powdercoat off of the aluminum. I'm estimating anywhere from $50 (sand and paint 'silver') to $85 (blasting) all in to get it where I want it. The only benefit I see to this rack is that the lower attachment spacing was specified as 124mm, which seems narrow, but probably works well with road bike 136-140mm outside spacing. A Pletscher is likely to be the cheapest option, and would probably play the nicest with the brakes. I can't say I'm in love with the 'shelf' on the back though. Randy's rack soothes the tiny OCD voice in my head with it's symmetry to the rear triangle. It's really little things, I should just build the bike and wheels up and ride...
Old 02-06-20, 07:42 PM
madpogue 

Okay, the silver/chrome spec is new intel, and definitely limits your options (or, as you say, adds a step/expense). As for the 124mm spacing, since the vast majority of bikes that rack is destined for are spaced even wider than yours, I think it's safe to say it's intended to be spread to fit.
Old 02-06-20, 08:20 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Originally Posted by madpogue
Okay, the silver/chrome spec is new intel, and definitely limits your options (or, as you say, adds a step/expense). As for the 124mm spacing, since the vast majority of bikes that rack is destined for are spaced even wider than yours, I think it's safe to say it's intended to be spread to fit.
That must have been in a draft of the post that wasn't posted. I updated the OP.

I'm happy about the spread to fit. Most of the cheaper racks don't even list the spacing. I noticed a tubus fly evo for $70 something. That's a minimum of 140, which isn't too bad to space out.
Old 02-06-20, 08:25 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

madpogue
You'd use this cheap Sunlite Pletscher copy?

Sunlite Pletscher copy.
Old 02-06-20, 09:17 PM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
madpogue
You'd use this cheap Sunlite Pletscher copy?
Golly, I dunno. I have no intel on the quality, and it's hard to tell much from photos. Around here, the real ones do show up on CL, thrift stores, the swap, whatever, so personally, I'd probably hold out for a "real" one. I bet if you post a WTB here on BF, you'll get a bite.

It all depends on how rare/common the real thing is where you are, and how much of a purist you are. 'Course, an original is likely to be a lot less shiny than that copy. Again, depends on whether that's a priority.
Old 02-07-20, 02:10 PM
Trueblood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
I have Tortec velocity racks on three of my bikes. You probably won't find a thinner rear rack, Also very light - 391g. I use them on road bikes without eyelets, mounted with P clamps. Despite being very narrow, I have not encountered issues with fender clearance. Silver or black. 55lb capacity. $22. I use the rack just as you have shown above, with one bag, for commuting.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nko-storm.html

https://www.jejamescycles.com/tortec...SABEgJgzfD_BwE

1977 Zebrakenko Wind

Last edited by Trueblood; 02-08-20 at 07:46 AM. Reason: detail
Likes For Trueblood:
Old 02-07-20, 02:17 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Originally Posted by Trueblood
I have Tortec velocity racks on three of my bikes. You probably won't find a thinner rear rack, Also very light - 391g. I use them on road bikes without eyelets, mounted with P clamps. Despite being very narrow, I have not encountered issues with fender clearance. Silver or black. 55lb capacity. $22. I use the rack just as you describe with one bag for commuting.

https://www.jejamescycles.com/tortec...SABEgJgzfD_BwE

I was very interested in these racks until i got to the shipping costs to the US. IIRC, I'd be in for $55-60 all included, and everyone that listed these racks were sold out of silver.
I have a pair of original Pletscher model C racks on the way for about the same cost. I don't need two, but sometimes these ebay sellers surprise me with accepting my low offers...

Last edited by Unca_Sam; 02-07-20 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-07-20, 02:58 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

I hate to get defeated this way, though it seems like the best option at this moment in time is a vintage rack for a vintage bike. I'm confident that the Pletscher rack will fit without issue, and with the brake brace plate hardware, I should be able to get a solid connection for commuting. Since I'm not buying a tubular frame rack, I'm concerned that my ortlieb shopper panniers and their QL 2.1 connections simply won't be secure with it, and I'll be investing in new waterproof panniers or a trunk bag to haul my junk to and from the office.
Old 02-07-20, 06:36 PM
madpogue 

^^^^^ Your Ortlieb/Pletscher question might be worth asking over in the C&V section.
Old 02-08-20, 06:43 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I think the chopped Wald rack is your best option. I have a black one, which is what I'd recommend because the cuts are easy to touch up with black paint. With a chromed one you'll have to use silver paint and it won't be perfect. Nonetheless I think that's the one to beat. And it's cheap.
Old 02-08-20, 07:54 AM
Trueblood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
I hate to get defeated this way, though it seems like the best option at this moment in time is a vintage rack for a vintage bike. I'm confident that the Pletscher rack will fit without issue, and with the brake brace plate hardware, I should be able to get a solid connection for commuting. Since I'm not buying a tubular frame rack, I'm concerned that my ortlieb shopper panniers and their QL 2.1 connections simply won't be secure with it, and I'll be investing in new waterproof panniers or a trunk bag to haul my junk to and from the office.
Ok, best of luck with the Pletscher. You are right, there appears to be a back order of a few months on the silver Tortec. The shipping cost can also be a problem, however if you end up having to buy new panniers for the Pletscher, that may negate the cost savings. Madpogue is probably correct - I bet someone in C&V will know if the Ortliebs will work on that rack.
Old 02-14-20, 12:44 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Ortlieb's QL 2.1 system works with the Pletscher modell C I bought. The rack rails are 12.75 mm tall, according top my calipers. It's a snug fit with the 12mm diameter shim tubus provides.
Old 02-14-20, 06:13 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I'm particularly fond of the Tubus Fly evo rack in silver, but the installation instructions specify 140-170mm lower attachment spacing, and not to exceed those values.
My wife's old schwinn w/ (127?)mm rear spacing had tubus fly (not the stainless but the cromoly one). No problem there.

Centerpull brakes on the other hand, no experience w/ that combination.