Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear wheel spoke actually pulled thru hub

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rear wheel spoke actually pulled thru hub

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-20, 07:52 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Ilovemyride
Lol, thats funny. Today I became unlazy. I did pull my bike outside , removed the wheel and did the inspection. And what I found I don't like . I have been asked to post photos and I really wanted to because I have a question about how I may or may not repair this. On further inspection it appears it is happening to other holes as well , wow , thats really blowing me away. Its weird the forum says I cant post a photo. I am new here.
There's a 10 post minimum to be able to post pictures. It can be inconvenient, but has been very effective at blocking spammers & scammers that would flood bike forums with junk.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 05-04-20, 08:11 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
I will try a spoke tomorrow and see how it sits but as I noticed earlier ( unless I'm just not seeing the true nature of the issue ) it appears other holes are being elongated . As like the metal has softened all of a sudden. And as I commented earlier, though Idk why , maybe these 25mm tires put some kind of new "pressure" on the wheel ?

Yes I might still have the broken one, good idea if I do to inspect it.
No, The Al hub shell is already softer then the steel spoke. The spoke will embed into the flange initially. This is part of a wheel's life, the spokes indent the flange slightly. In the beginning this is a good thing as it reduces the point stress on the spoke, by increasing the spoke/flange surface contact area. However over time the slight flexing of the spokes (with every pedal stroke or bump, as examples) do cause this indentation to very slowly grow. If abrasive or corrosive (dirt/grit/salt) is allowed to collect at this interface the wear will increase. This is what I think I see. Again pretty common stuff.

Now if you were to build up new spokes and rim on this hub (in it's self not a bad idea) care to maintain the spoke/flange orientation is needed. This way the original indents will again line up to the new spokes. Flanges break more readily when the second set of spokes don't line up as the originals did.

For the flange's material to have changed it's softness would require enough heat to change the metal's basic grain structure. I think you'd know if your rear hub got up to 1000* F Andy
Old 05-04-20, 01:15 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Stress relieving for al is around 400 F and it melts at 1400F. I would guess, without a pic, that the spoke head broke off.
Old 05-06-20, 02:05 PM
Ilovemyride

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I included 3 pics ,maybe someone can give me an idea on what happened , and maybe a place to buy online a new hub quickly .Can't find the broken one ,I looked for the broken spoke because I cut it off in the dark , I could of sworn it was in my cycling shirt rear pocket. Here are some more pics of the hole. One or two things happened ( neither ever in my life ) . The mushroom end wore down and pulled thru or the hole wore bigger and it pulled thru.
Old 05-06-20, 02:06 PM
Ilovemyride

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well I have already posed 10 posts and it still isnt allowing me to show pics.
Old 05-06-20, 02:06 PM
Ilovemyride

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Someone also without my consent changed my password , sheeeesh !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-06-20, 02:10 PM
Ilovemyride

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
pics.

Old 05-06-20, 02:11 PM
Ilovemyride

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok , all good , got them posted .
Old 05-06-20, 02:35 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
That spoke did NOT pull through the hub. Just get the spoke replaced and let this theory go.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-06-20, 02:38 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Still looks like the spoke head failed. Hub hole looks typical for a previously laced hub.
Old 05-06-20, 02:46 PM
Ilovemyride

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ohhh k , soooo how/why would the mushroom end ( lack technical wording ) fail , never seen that happen ? Then if it did, its only time till the rest do the same .
Old 05-06-20, 05:26 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Ohhh k , soooo how/why would the mushroom end ( lack technical wording ) fail , never seen that happen ? Then if it did, its only time till the rest do the same .
Look like no name brand spokes... cheap and nasty. Get some good spokes. Sapim, DT, etc....
Old 05-06-20, 08:06 PM
Ilovemyride

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wish that was true that they were cheap and nasty but it is not the case. Strong solid spoke and nipples , laced it myself about 5 years ago . Never one spoke broken.
Old 05-06-20, 08:18 PM
tFUnK

Well, you mentioned that you built them yourself...🤣
Joking aside, I assume it's probably suboptimal tensioning during the build compounded by years of hard use leading to fatigue at the spoke head, resulting in failure. Very possible that more spoke failures will follow. Time for a new wheel or rebuild.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 05-06-20, 08:18 PM
Ilovemyride

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So if someone educated ( in that kind of thing ) could take a look at the hub holes and give me your thoughts if its time to get a new hub ,probably is . I like my wheel and guessing I will probably need to find a identical hub and new spoke and nipples. I've been searching online for a 24 hole 10 speed rear hub cant seem to locate one , well one I can afford .
Old 05-06-20, 08:30 PM
Ilovemyride

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
@tFUnK Ok I hear ya . Have you ever seen a spoke ( mushroom end ) pull thru a hub ? I never have ( unless the hub is ruined somehow ) and Im 50yo. Worked at bike shops when I was younger , never happened on any of my bikes , its baffling. As I mentioned in an early post I recently switched from a 23 mm tire to never before 25 mm tire . It definitely seemed heaver and bulkier even though its the same brand , maybe that was enough to put new type of pressure on the spokes , idk .
Old 05-07-20, 02:36 AM
tFUnK

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
This is a spoke that pulled through the hub.
Nothing wrong with the hub.
It's a shame you are too lazy to look.
Ignore list.
Here is a prime example of a spoke head failing. This looks more probable than a widened hub hole. If you have an extra spoke it would be easy to check your hub to determine whether it's worth rebuilding.
Old 05-07-20, 08:53 AM
davidad

What brand of spoke are those? I can't quite make out the ID mark on the heads. I think you can replace the spoke and check the tension of the others. When the wheel dies replace it with one with more spokes properly tensioned. 32 is good, 36 is better.
Likes For davidad:
Old 05-07-20, 09:38 AM
Ilovemyride

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
This is a spoke that pulled through the hub.
Nothing wrong with the hub.
It's a shame you are too lazy to look.
Ignore list.
So I have put another spoke in thru the hole and of course at the moment not under pressure it seems ok, but the hole looks all chewed up. I do not have any nipples to pull it tight.
Old 05-07-20, 09:49 AM
Ilovemyride

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
What brand of spoke are those? I can't quite make out the ID mark on the heads. I think you can replace the spoke and check the tension of the others. When the wheel dies replace it with one with more spokes properly tensioned. 32 is good, 36 is better.
Why is 32 or 36 hole better ? I just found the box with some spokes in from quite a while ago . It shows a brand on the outside the seller sent me , but then it says the color is black on the other end and these are silver , so idk how to identify what brand im using are .
Old 05-07-20, 10:39 AM
davidad

Why is 32 or 36 hole better ? I just found the box with some spokes in from quite a while ago . It shows a brand on the outside the seller sent me , but then it says the color is black on the other end and these are silver , so idk how to identify what brand im using are .
The id on the head of your spokes don't look like DT's. Spoke Head Identification Chart
If you want a reliable long lived wheel you need at least 32 spokes unless you are a 140 pounder.
Old 05-07-20, 10:57 AM
Ilovemyride

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

That was a good link , thank you. I tried to snap a photo , still not sure what brand.
Old 05-07-20, 11:19 AM
Ilovemyride

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So hear is a good question , how long should spokes last ? If I buy replacement spokes /and a few extra on hand, Im thinking I will just loosen all them and have a shop tru up the wheel and see how that goes. At the moment the wheel is completely wonky(not straight at all ), but its missing a spoke that was probably over tension .

Last edited by Ilovemyride; 05-07-20 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-07-20, 12:08 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Looks like you got ripped off, the DT swiss are always black so far as I can find anyway.
Old 05-07-20, 12:15 PM
Ilovemyride

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just need someone to answer my question up top there , and or also give me a link for a good deal on a rear hub or wheel/hub combo that is black rim/black hub. Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.