Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Neck pain, fit judgement

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Neck pain, fit judgement

Old 05-26-20, 07:02 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
If you're on a tight budget, I'd not worry about trivial weight differences. Aluminum bars like the ea50 or ea70 are not expensive and would offer the proper shape.
Old 06-02-20, 06:18 PM
oik01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
So as an update, I followed everyone's advice about changing the handlebar. An aero EC70 handlebar should get here by the end of the week.
in the meanwhile, I am wondering whether to go back to my original stems before fidling with it since the shorter stem didn't really really work. Attached is a picture of my most recent position. The seat is quite a ways back now, my saddle to handlebar drop is 5 cm ( but to shifters is more) but my shoulder angle is just 67 degrees and my torso angle is surprisingly 47. I'm wondering if going back to the longer stems will stretch me out a bit and discourage any front end hunching? Thoughts?

and yes, I promise the handlebar is changing. I know best is to do that first then stem changes but in my case Everytime I change anything with the front cockpit I also have to recalibrate my powerpod powermeter and it gets annoying if I make a change a week for a couple months and then I have no consistent power the entire duration ... So if there's a clear answer like ( yeah stem too short or no this looks fine for comfort) I'd rather have it now. My available stems are 100 mm 7 degrees, the original 110 mm 7 degrees, and a 100 mm 17 degrees ... Current one is 80 mm 7 degrees

Last edited by oik01; 06-02-20 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-02-20, 06:34 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3877 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
Originally Posted by oik01
So as an update, I followed everyone's advice about changing the handlebar. An aero EC70 handlebar should get here by the end of the week.
in the meanwhile, I am wondering whether to go back to my original stems before fidling with it since the shorter stem didn't really really work. Attached is a picture of my most recent position. The seat is quite a ways back now, my saddle to handlebar drop is 5 cm ( but to shifters is more) but my shoulder angle is just 67 degrees and my torso angle is surprisingly 47. I'm wondering if going back to the longer stems will stretch me out a bit and discourage any front end hunching? Thoughts?

and yes, I promise the handlebar is changing. I know best is to do that first then stem changes but in my case Everytime I change anything with the front cockpit I also have to recalibrate my powerpod powermeter and it gets annoying if I make a change a week for a couple months and then I have no consistent power the entire duration ... So if there's a clear answer like ( yeah stem too short or no this looks fine for comfort) I'd rather have it now. My available stems are 100 mm 7 degrees, the original 110 mm 7 degrees, and a 100 mm 17 degrees ... Current one is 80 mm 7 degrees
If it were me, and of course it's not, after the new bars come I'd try a -17° stem, maybe 100mm, and put all those spacers above the stem, that latter just to see. If the spacer change works, eventually have the fork recut.
Old 06-02-20, 07:59 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
You need to go lower and longer in the front. Doing so will allow/force you to rotate your hips forward, which will help straighten your spine and reduce tension in your neck and shoulders. .
Start off with the 100mm, -7 degree (so stem angles down) stem and see how that feels. If it feels like it is heading in the right direction, then you can remove some spacers, and/or go with a longer stem until you find the sweet spot.

And work on your core strength. A weak core will force your back to carry the load.

If your power meter requires calibration any time you adjust your cockpit, then I'd just remove it for the time being...a power meter is worthless if your position isn't right. Get your fit dialed, then worry about power
Old 06-06-20, 11:00 AM
oik01

Originally Posted by melikebikey35
You need to go lower and longer in the front. Doing so will allow/force you to rotate your hips forward, which will help straighten your spine and reduce tension in your neck and shoulders. .
Start off with the 100mm, -7 degree (so stem angles down) stem and see how that feels. If it feels like it is heading in the right direction, then you can remove some spacers, and/or go with a longer stem until you find the sweet spot.

And work on your core strength. A weak core will force your back to carry the load.

If your power meter requires calibration any time you adjust your cockpit, then I'd just remove it for the time being...a power meter is worthless if your position isn't right. Get your fit dialed, then worry about power

So new handlebars are in and setup. They're Easton EC-70 but I think an older model? They too have a bit of a downsloping ramp which I hadn't noticed in the eBay pics but it's not as pronounced as my prior ones.
What do you guys think of my brake lever placement? Is this ok? Should it go a bit higher? Is this handlebar fine or should I go for a completely flat ramp? ( Didn't realize this one was this downsloping when I got it)

Old 06-06-20, 11:39 AM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
So new handlebars are in and setup. They're Easton EC-70 but I think an older model? They too have a bit of a downsloping ramp which I hadn't noticed in the eBay pics but it's not as pronounced as my prior ones.
What do you guys think of my brake lever placement? Is this ok? Should it go a bit higher? Is this handlebar fine or should I go for a completely flat ramp? ( Didn't realize this one was this downsloping when I got it)
The new handlebars have the same problem as your previous ones: an old school shape, which leads to the same problem with hood placement.
Just buy a modern, alloy, compact handlebar...something like the 3T Superergo Pro.
Old 06-06-20, 11:43 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Well, whatever bars those ebay bars are, I recommend ignoring that aero crap and tilting the bars up until the ramps are almost horizontal, then setting the levers so the levers themselves are plumb. That should put the hoods in exactly the right spot. Yeah, whatever they are . .. the ends of the hooks actually point UP the way you have them. Not supposed to be like that. I don't care for the so-called ergonomic bend, either. I want to put my hands where I want to put them, not where the bar designer decided I should.

Take a look at the FSA Omega Compact Road Handlebar I recommended earlier. Here they are on my bike. I just flipped my stem because my quads were hitting my ribs on the aero bars, and need to rotate the bars counterclockwise just a hair until the levers are vertical. They feel fine like this though. Anywhere in this range.

Old 06-06-20, 01:16 PM
oik01

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Well, whatever bars those ebay bars are, I recommend ignoring that aero crap and tilting the bars up until the ramps are almost horizontal, then setting the levers so the levers themselves are plumb. That should put the hoods in exactly the right spot. Yeah, whatever they are . .. the ends of the hooks actually point UP the way you have them. Not supposed to be like that. I don't care for the so-called ergonomic bend, either. I want to put my hands where I want to put them, not where the bar designer decided I should.

Take a look at the FSA Omega Compact Road Handlebar I recommended earlier. Here they are on my bike. I just flipped my stem because my quads were hitting my ribs on the aero bars, and need to rotate the bars counterclockwise just a hair until the levers are vertical. They feel fine like this though. Anywhere in this range.

Not sure what you mean by levers are plumb?
I tilted the handlebar up to try and emulate your position. It's tough getting both completely vertical brake levers and a completely flat ramp but I think this position looks similar to your setup?
​​

Last edited by oik01; 06-06-20 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-06-20, 02:44 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Not sure what you mean by levers are plumb?
I tilted the handlebar up to try and emulate your position. It's tough getting both completely vertical brake levers and a completely flat ramp but I think this position looks similar to your setup?
​​
Yes, that's close enough. Ride it like that, see how it goes.
Old 06-07-20, 07:54 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 183 Posts
OP... I know you're not made out of money, but I noticed over the weekend that Bontrager (Trek) has a set of bars on sale that seem like what you're interested in in that they're semi aero, but have a more modern shape than what you have on your bike:

Bontrager Race Lite Aero Drop VR-CF Factory Overstock Road Handlebar - $40