Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Getting tubeless tyre beads onto rim

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 06-23-20, 09:00 AM
bishop130771

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

hi guys and girls, I'm having all sorts of problems trying to get my tyres onto my rims. At one point I even double checked I wasnt trying to fit a 27.5 inch tyre on a 29 inch rim!!! I managed to get one bead on one wheel and got to within about 6 inches of getting second bead on but even with very large and sturdy tyre levers it seems impossible..
Has anyone got any black magic or secret trick not on the internet to help me!!!
Old 06-23-20, 11:17 AM
SilverRubicon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
I have no magic advice to offer other than to make sure that the bead of the tire is sitting in the center channel of the rim. That can help as it should add a small amount of maneuverability to the tire.
Likes For SilverRubicon:
Old 06-23-20, 11:44 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
This ^^^ You have to make sure the tire bead is down in the center channel all the way around and the tire will usually go on without tire levers. I've had people bring them to me because they couldn't get them on and they are amazed that I get them on immediately with no tools.
Old 06-23-20, 02:03 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
This ^^^ You have to make sure the tire bead is down in the center channel all the way around and the tire will usually go on without tire levers. I've had people bring them to me because they couldn't get them on and they are amazed that I get them on immediately with no tools.
This.

If you can't get it on by hand you are doing it wrong.
Old 06-23-20, 02:51 PM
bishop130771

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
i am doing something wrong then. The bead is in the centre channel of rim (narrowest part) and there is no way it will go on even with tyre levers
Old 06-23-20, 03:37 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
get the bead and the levers soapy. that will add some lubrication to keep them from binding as you work the bead on to the rim. I have had trouble breaking a stubborn bead and getting them started to get off but never getting them on the rim, like you describe.

Also, some sealant will work as a bead/lever lubricant if you don't have soapy water handy.
Old 06-24-20, 09:16 AM
Wooderson

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
This.

If you can't get it on by hand you are doing it wrong.
Eh, some tire + rim combinations are much harder than others. The WH-6800 rims don't have a channel, the rim bed is flat and shallow. Mounting most tubeless tires requires a bead jack or at least tire levers. I've had other rim tire combos where the tire will literally fall off the rim (when deflated).
Likes For Wooderson:
Old 06-24-20, 01:10 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by bishop130771
i am doing something wrong then. The bead is in the centre channel of rim (narrowest part) and there is no way it will go on even with tyre levers
which rim tire combo are you trying? I've have trouble with tubeless tires on on tubeless rims, especially with rim brake versions. There are even combos wider rims can also be difficult for some tires.
Also Pedro's are my go to levers, only broken one out of the 8 I have. Other levers are like noodles compared to them
Old 07-03-20, 09:48 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
I've never had to use tire levers installing a tubeless tire onto a tubeless rim. Using the rim inner channel to drop the opposite tire bead while you flip the tire onto the last bit is key knowledge. Unless you're using Stans rubber rim strips?
Old 07-06-20, 06:39 AM
Wooderson

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by commo_soulja
I've never had to use tire levers installing a tubeless tire onto a tubeless rim. Using the rim inner channel to drop the opposite tire bead while you flip the tire onto the last bit is key knowledge. Unless you're using Stans rubber rim strips?
That works for many wheel/tire combos, but not for all.
Old 07-06-20, 10:37 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
It works for all.