Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Looking to buy a mountain bike. Questions.

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-10, 07:32 PM
EnzGemini

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi, I know this has been done a million times. I am looking for some advice and suggestions.

I am in the market for a mountain bike(hardtail). I plan on using this bike for semi-aggressive trail riding as well as commuting around campus for traveling/workout/joy-ride.

I currently ride a 1995 hard rock comp with V brakes. Its been such a loyal and great friend to me, I think it is time however to invest in a new bike.

My price range is 500-600. I currently have visited one bike shop, and plan to visit more in my area. The bikes I have looked at are an 09' Giant Yukon and a Specialized hard rock disc sport. They seem pretty comparable, however I am in between because the specialized feels pretty comfortable since I am used to the specialized frame. The giant seems like such a solid bike, great for cruising and it might take a minute to get used to the ergonomics. Other than that Ive read reviews that say similar things about the two(The giant apparently will need a new derailer soon).

I am new to this, and I am wondering what other bikes and brands are comparable. I have read the MTN bike FAQ on this forum and found it very helpful. I just really want to make a smart educated purchase before I spend the 5-600 $.
Old 04-08-10, 01:03 AM
RatedZ

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by EnzGemini
hi, I know this has been done a million times. I am looking for some advice and suggestions.

I am in the market for a mountain bike(hardtail). I plan on using this bike for semi-aggressive trail riding as well as commuting around campus for traveling/workout/joy-ride.

I currently ride a 1995 hard rock comp with V brakes. Its been such a loyal and great friend to me, I think it is time however to invest in a new bike.

My price range is 500-600. I currently have visited one bike shop, and plan to visit more in my area. The bikes I have looked at are an 09' Giant Yukon and a Specialized hard rock disc sport. They seem pretty comparable, however I am in between because the specialized feels pretty comfortable since I am used to the specialized frame. The giant seems like such a solid bike, great for cruising and it might take a minute to get used to the ergonomics. Other than that Ive read reviews that say similar things about the two(The giant apparently will need a new derailer soon).

I am new to this, and I am wondering what other bikes and brands are comparable. I have read the MTN bike FAQ on this forum and found it very helpful. I just really want to make a smart educated purchase before I spend the 5-600 $.
Look for a leftover. I was just at Performance Bike and they had a 2008 GT full-suspension bike for $900. Unfortunately, that's not the riding I plan on doing, and the frame was too small.

Giants are good, solid bikes. Where are you reading reviews, because I've read from one site (I can't remember which one...) and there are all sorts of answers and opinions from "experts," talking about how their bike is too heavy, or they don't fit on it comfortably, etc. My question is, "If this bike was such a poor fit and so heavy, why'd you buy it?"

My wife just got a 2010 GT 3.0 Avalanche Disc for $380 (retail $550). I just got a 2010 GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc for $765 (retail $900) at Performance Bike. Look into a 2009 leftover. You'll get a better bike for cheaper.

My final decision on a purchase was between a Giant XTC-2 and the GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc. The Giant was lighter by an ESTIMATED 2-3 lbs, but availability was nil. I settled on the GT. I've spent a lot of time on my wife's 3.0, and it is a nice bike for the money. If you're looking for a bike at around $600, don't overlook the 2010 GT Avalanche 2.0 Disc. It has some better hardware than the 3.0, and is considered a mid-level mountain bike.

Old 04-08-10, 05:33 AM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude ......Do you work for GT or what?
Old 04-08-10, 06:42 AM
RatedZ

Originally Posted by mtnbiker66
Dude ......Do you work for GT or what?
No, are they hiring?

I've owned GT products in the past and knew people who have owned them. They've all had good luck with them. So am I "loyal" to GT? Absolutely.

Old 04-08-10, 07:42 AM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK....so when someone says "I'm looking at Giant, KHS and Felt" you jump in and say...."I have a GT you should get one too!". I see the logic now.
Old 04-08-10, 08:05 AM
RatedZ

OK....so when someone says "I'm looking at Giant, KHS and Felt" you jump in and say...."I have a GT you should get one too!". I see the logic now.
Yeah? Where'd I say that, because I don't remember typing it. I simply suggested that GT makes a good bike for the value, and to check them out.

Quit trying to start arguments. It's really not cool.

Old 04-08-10, 08:42 AM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me?? Start something???? Noooooo, not me.........
Old 04-08-10, 09:23 AM
RatedZ

Me?? Start something???? Noooooo, not me.........
Well, at least you're man enough to admit to the error of your ways. That's a highly respectable trait, and you have my utmost respect for it!