Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

New to cycling. Training questions for begineer looking to race cat 5

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 05-15-11, 06:16 PM
JAMES_AMTRAK
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is my first post so please take it easy on me. I decided 5 1/2 weeks ago to start cycling / cat 5 racing. Before this I did absolutely no physical activity for 10 years. before that I was a competitive distance runner with prs. of 4:13 mile 9:27 2 mile and 14:58 5k (5000m). I though that with my past endurance I might be good at this if i could develop my cycling muscles.

For the past 5 1/2 weeks I have been training and riding with cat1/2 and some cat 5 racers who do training rides everyday. average speed between 20 to 25 mph. as of this weekend i have put in 1046 miles in 5 1/2 weeks and feel great. every week I feel stronger and want to ride more. My questions are like anyone else on here i guess.

1) what can I do to be in race shape for next february. ( dont want to race till after the first of year to be sure im in good enough shape to compete. am I on the right track or do i need to do something special. i keep hearing some people say go fast to get faster where as I would think as a ex distance runner, build a base of 1200 miles a month till february then do speed work.

2) i feel i have good endurance i believe my power isnt what it should be. should i go ride alot of hills in higher gears to burn my legs into strength?

3) Im not really into the whole crit thing much rather prefer racing longer distances (road races in cat 5). crits to me seem to be the equivilant to the mile which i hate by the way.

4) is this enough time to be be in a great position for racing next year.. ( the cat 1 guys keep telling me my learning curve is alot bigger faster than most as im pickng it up fast?

5)im hitting the gym also 3 times a week for lunges squats deadlifts leg presses and such to speed up muscle strength.

any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

my running weight 10 years ago was 132 5'7"
started riding i was 162 pounds
currently im 157 and dropping.
my struggles seem to be on bridges when we go from 27-28mph to over 30 near the end of the ride
Old 05-18-11, 12:10 PM
sjvcycler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
research intervals and create a workout that helps you with accelerations.