Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

You know who you are- Stop giving cyclists a bad name

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

You know who you are- Stop giving cyclists a bad name

Old 11-01-11, 05:07 PM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
In over 40 years I have never been smashed by a car from behind while waiting at a light. I have seen more than a few cyclists smashed from a car from the side running a light tho.
In 16 years of driving I've twice been hit from behind while waiting at a light, once by a Dodge Ram 2500 doing around 25 MPH, which certainly qualified as being "smashed" (totaled my truck, at least, and did a pretty good number on the car that I got pushed into). Even if you don't go looking for trouble (by running reds, for example), it can still find you.

I guess the only solution is to never leave the house? =/
Old 11-01-11, 05:12 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
Well one point that nobody has made....there outta be a law against red tires.
as a certified cheapskate, I support the manufacture of red tires so I can buy them cheap when they don't sell. That's how I got my spare -- it's yellow, marked down 50%
Old 11-01-11, 05:22 PM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by weshigh
I can see that, I've just never consider it to be rude as a driver or rider. I am usually almost all the way across the intersection of the left turn by the time the next car behind me even starts to turn. All the streets that I would do it on, I also make sure that I am out of the way of the cars behind once through the turn. I guess as usual, it all comes down to individual circumstance.
The manner in which you filter might never inconvenience anyone, might even facilitate traffic flow, and would still be considered rude by the people that you pass; it's a perception thing. Same as how some people get pissed at late mergers, even though studies have shown that the traffic system as a whole moves more efficiently when all lanes are used at optimal capacity; that is, merging early, while seen as polite, under-utilizes the road's capacity and lengthens the bottleneck resultant from a reduction of traffic lanes. To drive all the way to the front and merge at the point of restriction is the most efficient for everyone, but is perceived as jumping the line over those who merged as soon as they saw the "lane ends, move left/right" signage.
Old 11-01-11, 06:28 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Does my riding in a black evening gown without shaving give cyclists a bad name too?
Only when you wear the black dress without the ankle straps and the green thong.
Old 11-01-11, 07:35 PM
idc

Bikes: quite a few

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In over 40 years I have never been smashed by a car from behind while waiting at a light.
Anecdotal evidence is just anecdotal evidence: I've been hit by a car (taxi actually) from behind while waiting at a red light. On a brand new bike I literally just picked up from the shop. Luckily it wasn't very hard and the driver apologized profusely. And I've only really commuted maybe 5 years total, less than that if you count full-time years - a lot less than your 40 in any case.

Anyway, I've learned in DC that if I wait in line at a red, 3-5 other cyclists will go past me (although I often catch up pretty quick). But I know the traffic patterns and red light cycles on my commute very well. There are some intersections I always wait line for, and some I never wait for. I believe I actually end up inconveniencing drivers less the way I ride, legal or not.
Old 11-01-11, 10:35 PM
spudston
2 Old 2 B New B

Bikes: '09 Trek 7.5 FX, '90 Trek Antelope 830, '07 Dahon Mariner

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I do the filter to the front of the turn lane thing too. I think it inconveniences car drivers less than taking my turn in line because I can quickly get out of their way after the green light. Otherwise, the ones behind me have to wait for my sorry slow posterior to accelerate, such as it is, down the turn lane and across the intersection to let them by. Of course, as I do so, they are probably greatly entertained by my 2w Cygolite HotShot taillight merrily blinking away in front of them....
Old 11-02-11, 03:48 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by matimeo
I'm not going to name any names, but you know who you are (Guy on a road bike with red tires, cable lock around your seatpost, wearing a yellow shirt with long black sleeves riding on Greenburg Rd. in Tigard, OR today at 5:01pm). When you passed me while I waited my turn in the left turn lane at Greenburg and Tiedeman/North Dakota, you riding in the lane that was supposed to go straight through the light (you weren't in the bike lane, but plugging up the car lane) and you passed everyone in the left turn lane and then turned left anyway. Pulling this kind of crap is what gives cyclists a bad name. Wait your turn like everybody else. But I guess since you're super slow (I passed you on the trail about a mile later, even though I had to wait two lights and you had a big head start) you have to take every advantage you can get.

Sorry to everyone else who had to listen to me rant. And if Mr. red tires is reading this, you can apologize for screwing it up for the rest of us.
The sad thing is that even IF "Mr. Red Tires" is here is that he'll think that he didn't do anything wrong, and that his actions don't affect anyone but him.
Old 11-02-11, 03:52 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
I hear this kind of crap all the time and really it is mind boggling. Do you know that car that cut me off yesterday, well did he give all cars a bad name? Do you know that the police have all whole traffic sections dedicated to bad car and truck drivers, at least they do in my city. They even have red light cameras and photo radar for vehicles that break the law. But nowhere do I see vehicles getting a bad name because of these infractions. Go to traffic court, you will see thousands of people trying to fight their "mistakes" in court. Somehow vehicles don't have "bad names".

I will admit there are bad cyclists but guess what that number is tenfold when it comes to motorized vehicles on the road. I see bad drivers every few minutes. And I really don't think they are ruining for the rest of them.

And I love these holier than thou cyclists because we all break the law. Some infractions smaller than others but none the less infractions. I have yet to meet a cyclist that follow all the rules of the road. Then again maybe you are one perfect cyclist.

And for the cyclist that will no doubt blow past the stop sign this morning without even looking, someday Darwin's Theory will catch up and we won't even need to have a discussion.

Sadly, they don't think that Darwin's Theory will catch up to them, because they think that they are acting in a "safe" manner. As well as they think that they are actually doing cycling a "favor" by running red lights and/or stop signs. And yes, those scofflaw motorists DO have/cause a bad rep in the eyes of some people out there.
Old 11-02-11, 03:57 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
If I didn't ride past cars stopped at lights, I would be in a very small minority, at least in DC. Riding a bike gives you a free pass to the front of the line, including any bikes waiting in line.
It DOES?!? Where the bloody hell is that written? The last time I checked the motor vehicle law in most IF not ALL states, says:

<quote>
Every person propelling a vehicle by human power has all of the rights and all of the duties applicable to the driver of any other vehicle under this chapter, except as to special regulations in this chapter, and except as to provisions of this chapter which by their nature can have no application.
</quote>

I see NOTHING in there that says that cyclists get a "free pass" to the front of the line. So please show us where it is written that cyclists get this "free pass" to the front of the line.
Old 11-02-11, 04:36 AM
Snowman219
VICTORY IS MINE!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think your example here may prove the opposite of what you intended....that driver's perceptions are based more on the majority of cyclists they encounter rather than on the exceptions...like you in this case.
I don't run reds bcos I R slow.
Old 11-02-11, 05:06 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowman219
I don't run reds bcos I R slow.
if u r slow u can run reds bcos u ain't worth many pts.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 11-02-11, 05:13 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GriddleCakes
In 16 years of driving I've twice been hit from behind while waiting at a light, once by a Dodge Ram 2500 doing around 25 MPH, which certainly qualified as being "smashed" (totaled my truck, at least, and did a pretty good number on the car that I got pushed into). Even if you don't go looking for trouble (by running reds, for example), it can still find you.

I guess the only solution is to never leave the house? =/
I've been rear-ended a few times at lights in a motor vehicle too. Once was when I was a kid in a 76 Pinto...yes one of those that were recalled because they would blow up if rear-ended! Only damage was a minor dent in my bumper, probably because I saw it coming, took my foot off the brake and at least rolled forward, even if I couldn't escape. Monitoring what's coming up behind you while stopped is a good thing and I have been doing it ever since.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 11-02-11, 06:52 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by spudston
I do the filter to the front of the turn lane thing too. I think it inconveniences car drivers less than taking my turn in line because I can quickly get out of their way after the green light. Otherwise, the ones behind me have to wait for my sorry slow posterior to accelerate....
If the traffic is that fast and you're that slow, perhaps it's time to find a new route or take the sidewalk. I don't have any trouble holding the lane in 35mph traffic (riding at 22~25mph), once the speed limit moves up to 45mph, I use the sidewalk and the pedestrian crosswalk.
Old 11-02-11, 07:29 AM
Hippiebrian

Bikes: Raleigh Sojourn, '67 Raleigh Super Course, old Gary Fisher Mamba, and a generic Chinese folder

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if u r slow u can run reds bcos u ain't worth many pts.
Anyone else old enough to remember when the "reds" were the things that made you slow? Ahh, the brain cells killed in the '70's...
Old 11-02-11, 07:35 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
It DOES?!? Where the bloody hell is that written? The last time I checked the motor vehicle law in most IF not ALL states, says:

<quote>
Every person propelling a vehicle by human power has all of the rights and all of the duties applicable to the driver of any other vehicle under this chapter, except as to special regulations in this chapter, and except as to provisions of this chapter which by their nature can have no application.
</quote>

I see NOTHING in there that says that cyclists get a "free pass" to the front of the line. So please show us where it is written that cyclists get this "free pass" to the front of the line.
Around here, at least, cars pass me in my lane all the time. That's why I ride to the far right of the lane.

When they are stopped at a light I pass them in their lane in return. No difference in my mind.

Must be legal, beacuse I've never seen anyone pulled over for doing it in a car or on a bike.
Old 11-02-11, 08:05 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Around here, at least, cars pass me in my lane all the time. That's why I ride to the far right of the lane.

When they are stopped at a light I pass them in their lane in return. No difference in my mind.

Must be legal, beacuse I've never seen anyone pulled over for doing it in a car or on a bike.
If the lane is wide enough to share, I'll filter up too...paying close attention to potential right-turners though.
Old 11-02-11, 08:10 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
The sad thing is that even IF "Mr. Red Tires" is here is that he'll think that he didn't do anything wrong, and that his actions don't affect anyone but him.
I doubt that this cyclist even tunes into BF, and doesn't even know about the conversation going on about him.

Though, he's probably wondering why his ears are having a burning sensation as of late.

Old 11-02-11, 10:11 AM
pityr

Bikes: Trek 1200, Kona Honky Inc, PX Stealth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ran 5 stop signs this morning. neener neener neener...

No I dont have red tires.

Last edited by pityr; 11-02-11 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-02-11, 10:47 AM
Kojak

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex - 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 - 2004 Redline Conquest Pro - Specialized S-Works Festina Team Model - 93 Cannondale M 800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At times like these I have to remind myself of the following:

No matter how much I wish it weren't so, I don't think anyone is going to listen to my advice and as to why they shouldn't be a jackass (riding a bike or otherwise).
Old 11-02-11, 11:22 AM
weshigh

Bikes: All-City Space Horse!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<quote>
</quote>

In my state it is perfectly legal to filter through traffic to the front of the line. I got my "free pass" yesterday right by a police car.
Old 11-02-11, 11:33 AM
matimeo

Bikes: It's the motor, not the bike, right?

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
In my state it is perfectly legal to filter through traffic to the front of the line. I got my "free pass" yesterday right by a police car.
Um, we're not talking about filtering down the bike lane or the shoulder. We're talking about taking the lane then making an illegal left turn from the straight lane, left in front of traffic.
Old 11-02-11, 11:42 AM
weshigh

Bikes: All-City Space Horse!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Um, we're not talking about filtering down the bike lane or the shoulder. We're talking about taking the lane then making an illegal left turn from the straight lane, left in front of traffic.
That is fine, I was responding to a comment that appeared to be made in a much large sense.

Your original post did not make it clear he was taking the lane while making this maneuver. There are times when I am filtering past traffic in the left turn lane when I go into the straight lane for a bit. Times when I might do this. No cars in straight lane behind me, or if going the same speed or faster than cars in straight lane. I do always merge back into the left turn lane before I make my left turn though. Cutting across is dangerous.
Old 11-02-11, 11:59 AM
matimeo

Bikes: It's the motor, not the bike, right?

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
That is fine, I was responding to a comment that appeared to be made in a much large sense.

Your original post did not make it clear he was taking the lane while making this maneuver. There are times when I am filtering past traffic in the left turn lane when I go into the straight lane for a bit. Times when I might do this. No cars in straight lane behind me, or if going the same speed or faster than cars in straight lane. I do always merge back into the left turn lane before I make my left turn though. Cutting across is dangerous.
I think it's dangerous to be going in and out of the main lane and the left turn lane. Seems like all kinds of bad things could happen. It's not as if there is a designated space in the left turn lane for bicycles to buzz past the cars. My understanding (at least in my state) is that cyclists should obey the same rules and have the same responsibilities (a few highlights below from the Oregon Driver's Manual):

Bicycle use on streets and highways is growing daily, both for exercise
and transportation in city areas. The same traffic rules and regulations
apply to both bicyclists and vehicle drivers.

A major problem for drivers is the ability to see bicyclists, especially
at night. Sometimes they may be in the blind spot of your vehicle (exactly what this Fred was doing). When
you approach a bicyclist, keep on the lookout and slow down. To avoid
conflict, drivers of motor vehicles need to know the rules:

As a bicyclist in Oregon, you must be aware that bicycles are considered
vehicles. You have the same rights, duties, and responsibilities as
vehicle drivers.
Bicyclists must ride in the direction of traffic and as near to the right
side of the road or street as is practical.
On a one-way street in a city, a
Bike Box83
bicyclist may ride as near as practical to either the right or left side of the
street or roadway.

Other rules include: always keep at least one hand on the handlebars,
don’t carry more passengers than there are seats available, yield to
pedestrians, have adequate brakes, and never perform stunts while riding
on streets or highways.
Signal your intentions clearly and in plenty of time. There are two ways
you may signal a right turn. Use the standard, upturned left arm signal
(see drawing on Page 38), or extend the right arm straight out to the right
Old 11-02-11, 12:14 PM
fastbartender

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are that envious of the people running the reds give it a try. Look both ways first though. That's what really bothers the people in cars, that they can't get away with it too.
Old 11-02-11, 12:19 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I think it's dangerous to be going in and out of the main lane and the left turn lane. Seems like all kinds of bad things could happen. It's not as if there is a designated space in the left turn lane for bicycles to buzz past the cars. My understanding (at least in my state) is that cyclists should obey the same rules and have the same responsibilities (a few highlights below from the Oregon Driver's Manual):

Bicycle use on streets and highways is growing daily, both for exercise
and transportation in city areas. The same traffic rules and regulations
apply to both bicyclists and vehicle drivers.

A major problem for drivers is the ability to see bicyclists, especially
at night. Sometimes they may be in the blind spot of your vehicle (exactly what this Fred was doing). When
you approach a bicyclist, keep on the lookout and slow down. To avoid
conflict, drivers of motor vehicles need to know the rules:

As a bicyclist in Oregon, you must be aware that bicycles are considered
vehicles. You have the same rights, duties, and responsibilities as
vehicle drivers.
Bicyclists must ride in the direction of traffic and as near to the right
side of the road or street as is practical.
On a one-way street in a city, a
Bike Box83
bicyclist may ride as near as practical to either the right or left side of the
street or roadway.
It would help your case tremendously if you could point to a law making it illegal for a car to pass a bike in the same lane, or for a bike to pass a car in the same lane.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.