Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Build kits

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Build kits

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-12, 02:18 AM
MassiveD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Build kits

When I make a nice bike, I put on all the candy, and I use top end parts. These days, though, I am looking at 4 chicks who need bikes of various types. When I look at Nashbar I see bikes for less than I can build them for, at least if the shipping to Canada, was the same as the shipping to Georgia. So where does one go to get build packages at rock bottom prices?
Old 10-19-12, 11:15 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4206 Post(s)
Liked 3,871 Times in 2,314 Posts
If you're a legit business you can open an OEM account with many suppliers, or a resale (retail shop) account. But you need to be real and not a garage/hobby guy. Andy.
Old 10-19-12, 11:36 AM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Appologies up front, but I had a temp brain freeze. Now back to business; Took a quick look at Nashbar offerings and they look good and well priced for built bikes. Would also recommend www.bikesdirect.com to compare against. I don't know first hand which is better. Over the years I have bought from both without issues. Regarding your implied conclusion that you can buy a bike cheaper than you can build one. That is entirely correct... a consumer at or near the end of the retail buying chain can not compete with a wholesale outlet selling/operating at or near the manufacturing site/level.
It is also reasonable to expect that if you buy a component group packaged for retail sell you will be getting the same parts you would find on a build bike having the same line items. However I suspect the components on the built bike will have a bit lower quality fit and finish as the OEM supplying the build factory's in volume are competing by offering their OEM bulk production. This conclusion is based on examining the backsides of cranksarms, etc., on build bikes such as a full Campy Bianchi SR and seeing just a bit less quality. But nothing that would affect quality of the ride. That I bought the bikes without the slightly lower fit/finish essentially validates the OEM's decisions.
Old 10-19-12, 11:53 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cannot Haggle with an Add to Cart online seller , where you are faceless.

Have you talked to any retail shops about a package deal price ?

Given it is now into the slow season, (till approaching Xmas)
they would be accessible about some income, vs nil..
Old 10-19-12, 01:01 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
my lbs helps me out, but we talked about build kits and they really didn't have any ideas
Old 10-19-12, 01:18 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
QBP has a program where if you're buying all the parts for your bike through them they highly discount the grouppo. It's like 50% off if I recall correctly.

Originally Posted by MassiveD
When I make a nice bike, I put on all the candy, and I use top end parts. These days, though, I am looking at 4 chicks who need bikes of various types. When I look at Nashbar I see bikes for less than I can build them for, at least if the shipping to Canada, was the same as the shipping to Georgia. So where does one go to get build packages at rock bottom prices?
Old 10-19-12, 03:01 PM
MassiveD

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Nashbar is an interesting example. They sell built bikes at "fabulous" prices, they sell frames at "fabulous" prices. They don't seem to sell build kits for the frames... So sure, it is going to cost more to build from scratch, and part of the reason is economic, and part of the reason is when you buy piece by piece, one tends to put on stuff like CK headsets, a part any bundler is going to pay 5 bucks for. But it still seems as though there is a missing piece out there in build kits for lower end frames. I was hoping I was missing something.

PBQ is another interesting example, they sell frames, the Surly brand being one example prior to their shift to finished bikes a few years back. Do they do build kits?

I think this is an adjunct to the where is my 10 dollar tubeset thread... The guy who started NAHBS, claimed on this site, that in asia you can get a tubeset for 10 bucks, I think that was the guy and the number. He went on to try and showcase custom bikes though NAHBS. Meanwhile, I am still fixated on the 10 dollar tubeset...
Old 10-19-12, 03:07 PM
MassiveD

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Oh I should probably say these are my daughers, etc... not commercial. I would not refer to members of the public as "chicks". My original plan was that as they transitioned from small bikes, I would make them up a quality build kit based on 20" wheels, and as they grew I would make frames that started as normally proportioned bikes and would end up as folders as they went to University. That did not prove necessary as hand me down bikes, often like new, have always shown up even before we needed them.
Old 10-19-12, 03:41 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
I'm sure you can get a $10 tubeset. Fork blades are what, $25 minimum? Crown and dropouts and steerer gets you up to $75 or so. I've seen cromo forks, painted, retail for $25. Granted, the crown is pressed steel that you can't buy, but you get the idea. The way I calculate things, they have less than $3 in that fork when it leaves the factory. Similar calculations on the aluminum frames that Nashbar sells, you can import those for $25.
Old 10-19-12, 05:52 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,824 Times in 1,541 Posts
The key thing is that when a manufacturer talks to a component supplier they are not talking kits, the they are talking about buying thousands of parts. And in many cases the bike manufacturer will not alwasy use full groups, but will mix and match to a) hit a price point and b) take advantage of any over supply the component guys have.

Once in a while you see post where people buy bikes direct bikes just to get the components as the whole bike is cheaper than buying a group.