Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Copenhagen Wheel Won’t Work Without a Smartphone

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-17, 09:07 PM
graycenphil

Bikes: Proflex, Bike Friday, Breezer Zig7, Kona Scrap, Raleigh 3 speed, Schwin Tandem, Cignal Melbourne Express Tandem, FLX Babymaker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I came pretty close to buying a Copnhagen Wheel. They had a “BlackFriday” offer of the wheel on a nice looking city bike for $1,500. I got about halfway through the order when I wondered about this, and contacted the company.

It turns out you need a smartphone to setup the bike. That’s not so bad, but you also need one whenever you are riding it. Nobody else can ride it, unless they also have a smart phone, and they download the app, and you authorize them.

I also asked what would happen if you were riding and your phoe died. They said you could keep riding, but once the bike goes into sleep mode, you can’t restart it until you charge your phone. I’m not sure what sleep mode is, but I suspect that if youstop for too long, you’re stuck.

Well, I cancelled the order. Am I just being a luddite, or an old fart? Or am I right to not want my bike to be too high tech? I do see this is a pretty clever theft prevention system; I just don’t want another device that’s smarter than me. I can also forsee some software glitches shutting the bike down far from home. I can deal with flats and chains, but not this. What do you folks think?
Old 11-22-17, 10:46 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
I think you should buy a different kit :-)

The marketing angle for the Copenhagen Wheel is you don't have to wire your bike up and find a spot for the battery, you just slap the wheel on and the phone controls it. Theoretically this also means you can swap your regular wheel in for non-powered rides, although I doubt most owners would bother with that.

It's not my cup o' tea, either, but I see why some people like it.
Old 11-22-17, 10:55 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 197 Posts
My Samsung Android spends most of its time being out of battery. It's the last thing I want as a gate keeper to my e-bike riding. I believe the motor will run all day if your phone has enough power to start the app though.

I thought the appeal of the Copenhagen was its simple install and everything-in-the-wheel, and the $750 half price for the original buyers. When you start comparing this Black Friday deal to $1500 bikes, you're trading off some features. I consider the fixed gearing a limitation. Others might find it a feature. I also consider the attention grabbing size and color of the wheel a drawback too.

It's also a direct drive motor, which I don't care for, because they don't coast as well. On the other hand direct drive allows regenerative braking which might make one feel greener.

Where the Copenhagen might blaze new ground is that they claim very good pedal feedback in their torque sensor system, but I don't see torque sensors as useful as an optional throttle.
Old 11-23-17, 10:27 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I don't see the point of a technology that relies on another piece of tech to function. And I worked in the tech field. You are just adding layers to fail. And the all in one wheels are NOT light, so when the wheel is sleeping once your phone dies, you could be pushing a very heavy bike home. If you don't mind a little added weight on your bike, get a good hub system. You will not have any trouble riding home if you run out of juice. "Swytch" on IGG has a light inexpensive system. Or go mid drive if you have hills. Skip the all in one, and the proprietary systems.
Old 11-24-17, 07:02 AM
P10pablo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I test rode the Copenhagen Wheel and it was a great experience. Very pleasing, still gave you a work out, but bicycling was so much easier. I weigh 230 and got about five miles with 17% battery charge. This was while alternating between the highest setting, lowest setting and also it being off. Having to use the bike shops loaner cell phone to change settings was not pleasing and I’d much prefer a handlebar controller with the ability to turn on and off and dial in power. Of all the ebike options I’ve tried the Copenhagen Wheel was the 2nd best experience I had, the best experience was a local ebike manufacturer in Atlanta named Edison. For someone who wants a ebike option for a short range commute, the Copenhagen Wheel is probably great. For a bicyclist who wants to get around and is more likely to futz with settings a lot, the Copenhagen Wheel is not a great option. I kinda wanted one myself, but I think range and the cellphone / app thing is a deal breaker.

Originally Posted by graycenphil
I came pretty close to buying a Copnhagen Wheel. They had a “BlackFriday” offer of the wheel on a nice looking city bike for $1,500. I got about halfway through the order when I wondered about this, and contacted the company.

It turns out you need a smartphone to setup the bike. That’s not so bad, but you also need one whenever you are riding it. Nobody else can ride it, unless they also have a smart phone, and they download the app, and you authorize them.

I also asked what would happen if you were riding and your phoe died. They said you could keep riding, but once the bike goes into sleep mode, you can’t restart it until you charge your phone. I’m not sure what sleep mode is, but I suspect that if youstop for too long, you’re stuck.

Well, I cancelled the order. Am I just being a luddite, or an old fart? Or am I right to not want my bike to be too high tech? I do see this is a pretty clever theft prevention system; I just don’t want another device that’s smarter than me. I can also forsee some software glitches shutting the bike down far from home. I can deal with flats and chains, but not this. What do you folks think?
Old 11-24-17, 07:22 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
https://shop.freedompop.com/products

$30-40 phone and a free plan, then turn off mobile data on the phone altogether so you won't run up any charges unless you take the time to re-enable it. All features can work over WiFi when it's available. At that price, you can buy a spare too.

I wouldn't waste money on the paid plans; their customer service and billing is terrible, but if you stick with the free plan, it's worth the price.
Old 11-24-17, 08:04 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I have a Copenhagen wheel. I don’t really control the wheel or look at the phone while riding. I leave the wheel in turbo mode and just check the battery level at the end of the ride. I don’t think connecting to another device is a bad idea but then I’m used to powermeters, speed and cadence sensors and they all talk to something else. I swap the wheel on and off every week as I usually only use it on Thur & Fri commutes. It’s just about the perfect solution for me. Shaves about 8-10 min off a ~60 min commute.

If you don’t have a smartphone and a support network (kids, friends) to keep your phone sorted it’s probably not worth it.
Old 11-24-17, 09:24 AM
WillAdams

Bikes: Montague Swissbike X50

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This was one of thing things which is pushing me toward a GeoOrbital Wheel.
Old 11-26-17, 04:28 PM
billinrockhill

Bikes: Klein Aura X, Chinook (an early 80's Bruce Gordon production bike), Miyata Duplicross, Cannondale Road Tandem; Cannondale Lefty f/s mountain bike; Surly Crosscheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Copenhagen Wheel Experiment Coming Up.

I have ordered a semi-recumbent Bilenky Viewpoint tandem with which I am buying an "extra" rear wheel with a Copenhagen motor. As this will be a complicated vehicle even absent the powered option, I want to have an easy way to switch in and out of powered mode. What attracted me to the Copenhagen design was the "all in the wheel" aspect, which allows removal of the unit without having to deal with connections with wires and an on-frame battery. I expect delivery in late December and will post reactions and pictures in due course. Why powered? Again, I want to have the option. When she occasionally joins me for a group ride on our tandem my wife sometimes urges me to "close it up" and it pains me to say we are giving it all we have. So my vision is that we can have the wheel available to keep us up. Needing a phone is not a problem. I have been using a cell phone and wi fi to work remotely from my office for years. Its' just part of the equipage of my daily routine.
Old 11-30-17, 07:44 AM
graycenphil

Bikes: Proflex, Bike Friday, Breezer Zig7, Kona Scrap, Raleigh 3 speed, Schwin Tandem, Cignal Melbourne Express Tandem, FLX Babymaker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all the input; I fee la little better. Two questions:

KD5NRH - That’s a good workaround solution. I’ve even been offered old smartphones for free. If I have one with no plan, do you think the wifi will still work with the phone? Would an iPod, which has wifi for playing music anf things, work also? Thouogh I must admit, it still seems silly to have to carry your device just to go for a bike ride...

Gregf83 - Has your phone battery ever died while you were out riding? Did the wheel then go into sleep mode? If you are in sleep mode, can you still pedal home or is the wheel locked?
Old 11-30-17, 08:21 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Copenhagen wheel actually works ?
Old 11-30-17, 10:32 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 45 Posts
Yes, it works, and works fairly well.

You do not need a phone plan to control the wheel settings. Havent any of you heard of bluetooth??!! There have been some other e-bikes that had a phone signal for comtrol and the product was useless when there was no signal.

It will be interesting to see if it actually has enough power for billinrockhill to enjoy it with a tandem.

-SP
Old 12-01-17, 07:55 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
And in 2018 when you get your new iphone or Android with a new operating system that Copenhagen app won't work anymore and you have a lawn ornament.
Or Copenhagen charges you a service fee to get an updated app.

How do you know this won't happen?
Old 12-03-17, 07:44 AM
icedmocha 
There's time now

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 4120 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
And in 2018 when you get your new iphone or Android with a new operating system that Copenhagen app won't work anymore and you have a lawn ornament.
Or Copenhagen charges you a service fee to get an updated app.

How do you know this won't happen?
Phones repeatedly update OS, almost bimonthly. Has this happened yet?
Old 12-03-17, 09:42 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by icedmocha
Phones repeatedly update OS, almost bimonthly. Has this happened yet?
Yes with new version upgrades (especially full steps like from 5.x to 6.x) I lost apps. Also with new phones I couldn't re-install some of the old apps I had. Try to install your favorite game from 1995 on a new PC and you see what I mean... and unlike phones PC OS make great efforts to be backwards compatible.