Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Has anyone solved their saddle issues with Pressure Mapping Analysis?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-17, 02:54 PM
rbk_3

Bikes: Trek Emonda S6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A local bike shop offers it for $50

I am curious if this has worked for anyone?

Old 08-23-17, 03:01 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
I have not...but on a slightly related note....I think I've decided I am one of those people that just cannot get comfortable on Brooks saddles. I've tried the B17, and Team Pro...and between the short rails limiting setback, and what seems like a very small area of useable space to sit on the saddle, I can't make it work. I'm always more comfortable on a standard cheapie synthetic saddle.
Old 08-23-17, 03:23 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
I have not...but on a slightly related note....I think I've decided I am one of those people that just cannot get comfortable on Brooks saddles. I've tried the B17, and Team Pro...and between the short rails limiting setback, and what seems like a very small area of useable space to sit on the saddle, I can't make it work. I'm always more comfortable on a standard cheapie synthetic saddle.
i rode one for 500 miles on the commuter before I gave up, doesn't work with any position except super relaxed ime. Sucks in the drops or on the hoods with 90 degree elbows and a back angle <45. Doesn't work on the rivet either
Old 08-23-17, 03:30 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Originally Posted by redlude97
i rode one for 500 miles on the commuter before I gave up, doesn't work with any position except super relaxed ime. Sucks in the drops or on the hoods with 90 degree elbows and a back angle <45. Doesn't work on the rivet either
Hah, I had the exact opposite experience. I thought the Team Pro was actually pretty comfy deep in the drops. But any other position and I felt like I had to slide back nearly on the rivets to get my tush onto any usable real estate.

B17 was a flat no go from the outset...cut into my thighs pretty badly. Managed about 5 miles before calling it quits.
Old 08-23-17, 03:34 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Hah, I had the exact opposite experience. I thought the Team Pro was actually pretty comfy deep in the drops. But any other position and I felt like I had to slide back nearly on the rivets to get my tush onto any usable real estate.

B17 was a flat no go from the outset...cut into my thighs pretty badly. Managed about 5 miles before calling it quits.
i guess it probably depends on how it is set up, i don't have experience with the pro team but on the b17 it is suggested to be set up slightly nose up, thats were my probably came from the lower positions. The sides do cut into the thighs initially on the b17 but slowly fold in with use. You might be better off on a C13 that is narrower and doesn't have the lips
Old 08-23-17, 03:50 PM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by redlude97
i guess it probably depends on how it is set up, i don't have experience with the pro team but on the b17 it is suggested to be set up slightly nose up, thats were my probably came from the lower positions. The sides do cut into the thighs initially on the b17 but slowly fold in with use. You might be better off on a C13 that is narrower and doesn't have the lips
Ahh, I did have that issue with the B17. The Team Pro is flatter, so you don't really have to put it nose up much.

I think I'll just stick to relatively firm $25 synthetic saddles. No reason to overthink what's cheap and works. My Brooks experiments were momentary lapses into vanity

Also....man the C17 seems awfully expensive for what looks to be a chintzy plastic saddle with some canvas stretched over it.
Old 08-23-17, 04:48 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Back to the OP's actual question, yes, I have. For me, it was well worth the money. Prior to the mapping, I'd spent hundreds of dollars and tried easily 10 different saddles. In the span of 30 minutes, my fitter was able to identify my hot spots, and try multiple saddle types to see which reduced/eliminated my hot spots. It turned out that the saddle that gave me the most comfort was completely different from what I'd been trying. Several months later, I'm still riding the same saddle I left the mapping with, and am quite pleased.
Old 08-23-17, 05:41 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by RNAV
Back to the OP's actual question, yes, I have. For me, it was well worth the money. Prior to the mapping, I'd spent hundreds of dollars and tried easily 10 different saddles. In the span of 30 minutes, my fitter was able to identify my hot spots, and try multiple saddle types to see which reduced/eliminated my hot spots. It turned out that the saddle that gave me the most comfort was completely different from what I'd been trying. Several months later, I'm still riding the same saddle I left the mapping with, and am quite pleased.
Thank you for taking this back on topic.

I'm down the road in Atlanta and curious as to what shop you used. Might be worth the four hour drive to UNCC territory.

-Tim-
Old 08-24-17, 05:13 AM
rbk_3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great to hear. What had you been trying and what ended up being the solution?
Old 08-24-17, 05:43 AM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Thank you for taking this back on topic.

I'm down the road in Atlanta and curious as to what shop you used. Might be worth the four hour drive to UNCC territory.

-Tim-
I used Ryan Toth at Trek of Charlotte (he primarily operates out of the North store). I will say that Ryan was able to solve some fit issues that two other professional fitters were unable to correct; part of the fitting featured the saddle pressure mapping.

I'm fairly certain that the pressure mapping is offered at most Trek retailers, so I can't say if it's worth the trip to you or not.
Old 08-24-17, 05:51 AM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Originally Posted by rbk_3
Great to hear. What had you been trying and what ended up being the solution?
I'd been trying saddles with a center cutout/relief (all the Specialized saddles, a couple ISM variants). At the fitting, I tried a couple Bontrager saddles with cutouts, a couple Selle SMP models, etc.

Then Ryan suggested we try something different, just to see what the pressure mapping shows. So we tried a Bontrager Serano saddle (it's similar in shape to a Fizik Aliante, but a bit narrower), and it felt great. The pressure mapping revealed I didn't have any hot spots with the saddle. So he told me to try that for a few hundred miles, and if I wasn't comfortable on it we'd redo the pressure mapping until we found a saddle that worked.
Old 08-24-17, 05:54 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Is this Pressure Mapping Analysis a dynamic thing?

Does it take into account the different ride positions a rider uses ?
Old 08-24-17, 06:20 AM
rbk_3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd been trying saddles with a center cutout/relief (all the Specialized saddles, a couple ISM variants). At the fitting, I tried a couple Bontrager saddles with cutouts, a couple Selle SMP models, etc.

Then Ryan suggested we try something different, just to see what the pressure mapping shows. So we tried a Bontrager Serano saddle (it's similar in shape to a Fizik Aliante, but a bit narrower), and it felt great. The pressure mapping revealed I didn't have any hot spots with the saddle. So he told me to try that for a few hundred miles, and if I wasn't comfortable on it we'd redo the pressure mapping until we found a saddle that worked.

Interesting. The only issue is my sitbones are about 140mm or so and Bontrager only offers up to 148mm saddles for men. I guess we will see if any of them work. I am going in tomorrow.
Old 08-24-17, 06:20 AM
rbk_3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Is this Pressure Mapping Analysis a dynamic thing?

Does it take into account the different ride positions a rider uses ?
I believe it shows you in real time on the screen as you pedal.
Old 08-24-17, 08:06 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Brooks? Why? And I rode a B.17 and variants for a more years than I can remember.

To me, and I come from a tech background replete with computer modeling, this tech is seriously limited or can only be used directionally. Don't even believe its a successful discriminator...or would take a lot of data to identify unacceptable pressure points for a 'given' rider. Differences in anatomy, different riders will prefer weight distributed differently is the point. Some tolerate more weight on their sit bones. Some prefer a bit of weight forward. Some riders ride with more pelvis tilt. Some riders are heavy. Riders aren't even close to being equivalent in terms of ideal weight distribution based upon not only a rider's weight but the geometry of a given pelvis. A further point is, a light, uber fit rider with gristled @$$ can generally ride a 2 x 4 for a hundred miles.
Weight distribution is less important because aggregate weighting of the saddle is less. Saddle hardly matters for a very lean and fit amateur or pro other than being too wide and causing chaffing. A saddle for a very fit rider who lays down the watts and frequently out of it is more of perch than a seat.

So how do you determine the best saddle for a given rider? Dogged trial and error with constant experimentation of combinations of:
- saddle height
- saddle tilt
- saddle set back

and:
of course in combination with different saddle models and widths. Different saddles ride differently and 'preference of load distribution' even factors in.

A degree/mm or two can spell the difference between an unridable saddle versus one that is comfortable. No shortcuts to success and same with overall bike fit. You have to dig it out of the dirt like all good riders have.

Last edited by Campag4life; 08-24-17 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-24-17, 09:30 AM
rbk_3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Brooks? Why? And I rode a B.17 and variants for a more years than I can remember.

To me, and I come from a tech background replete with computer modeling, this tech is seriously limited or can only be used directionally. Don't even believe its a successful discriminator...or would take a lot of data to identify unacceptable pressure points for a 'given' rider. Differences in anatomy, different riders will prefer weight distributed differently is the point. Some tolerate more weight on their sit bones. Some prefer a bit of weight forward. Some riders ride with more pelvis tilt. Some riders are heavy. Riders aren't even close to being equivalent in terms of ideal weight distribution based upon not only a rider's weight but the geometry of a given pelvis. A further point is, a light, uber fit rider with gristled @$$ can generally ride a 2 x 4 for a hundred miles.
Weight distribution is less important because aggregate weighting of the saddle is less. Saddle hardly matters for a very lean and fit amateur or pro other than being too wide and causing chaffing. A saddle for a very fit rider who lays down the watts and frequently out of it is more of perch than a seat.

So how do you determine the best saddle for a given rider? Dogged trial and error with constant experimentation of combinations of:
- saddle height
- saddle tilt
- saddle set back

and:
of course in combination with different saddle models and widths. Different saddles ride differently and 'preference of load distribution' even factors in.

A degree/mm or two can spell the difference between an unridable saddle versus one that is comfortable. No shortcuts to success and same with overall bike fit. You have to dig it out of the dirt like all good riders have.
Well, I would think knowing you don't have significant pressure on your soft tissue would be a great start in finding a saddle, no?
Old 08-24-17, 09:37 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Well, I would think knowing you don't have significant pressure on your soft tissue would be a great start in finding a saddle, no?
Significant yes. But, in engineering parlance, there is no free lunch. For X amount of weight on the saddle, subtraction of pressure in one area will increase it in another. Weight has to be served one way or another. In fact, this dynamic explains why many who change their riding position to more aggressive, why it contributes to saddle comfort. Two reasons....a. more weight on the hands = less weight on the saddle and two, more forward rotation of the pelvis automatically reduces weight on the sit bones and why riding a racing saddle like a park bench is generally painful. Some may prefer pressure distributed more evenly because subtracting it completely from the soft tissue, will increase it in other areas of the saddle like the sitbones which can cause some discomfort.

Last edited by Campag4life; 08-24-17 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-24-17, 10:02 AM
rbk_3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Significant yes. But, in engineering parlance, there is no free lunch. For X amount of weight on the saddle, subtraction of pressure in one area will increase it in another. Weight has to be served one way or another. In fact, this dynamic explains why many who change their riding position to more aggressive, why it contributes to saddle comfort. Two reasons....a. more weight on the hands = less weight on the saddle and two, more forward rotation of the pelvis automatically reduces weight on the sit bones and why riding a racing saddle like a park bench is generally painful. Some may prefer pressure distributed more evenly because subtracting it completely from the soft tissue, will increase it in other areas of the saddle like the sitbones which can cause some discomfort.
I think I would love if all the weight was served on my sitbones.
Old 08-24-17, 10:43 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Not me. In fact, I adjust saddle tilt as nose up as possible without 'too' much weight on the front of perineum when riding in the drops...because this takes the most weight off my hands and reduces sit bone pressure.
John Cobb talks about this a bit in his videos...he design saddles and advocates nose up where the perineum is pushed in the soft nose of the saddle.
No free lunch. Be careful what you wish for.
Old 08-24-17, 05:43 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
The traditional thought is that the saddle is fixed and the rider is variable. That's why it hurts.

It should be the other way around. But how the engineers can manage that is another thing.
Old 08-24-17, 07:30 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I used Ryan Toth at Trek of Charlotte (he primarily operates out of the North store). I will say that Ryan was able to solve some fit issues that two other professional fitters were unable to correct; part of the fitting featured the saddle pressure mapping.

I'm fairly certain that the pressure mapping is offered at most Trek retailers, so I can't say if it's worth the trip to you or not.
Thanks a bunch.

I imagine pressure mapping is like fit - lots of places offer it but finding an experienced and knowledgeable human to interpret the results is another thing entirely.

Really appreciate the referral. I do get up to Raleigh on occasion for business so Charlotte is not out at all of the question.

-Tim-
Old 08-25-17, 08:37 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Just 2mm pedal washers made such a difference?
Old 08-25-17, 09:44 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
I've done this and it did identify the "hot" spot. OTOH, suggested saddles never worked out. And,using the sit bones method, I should be on a 143 saddle. That never worked. I found a Selle San Marco in 136 and that's the best I've found so far.
Old 08-25-17, 10:03 AM
Nick Bain

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So is that going to tell you if the saddle is too high or in the wrong place? TLdr.
Old 08-25-17, 10:35 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Selle SMP. Give it 2 weeks to get used to it. All your weight is on your sit bones. And the first two rides it feels like an ass-hatchet. But it totally solved any numbness and is great once you're used to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.