Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Paypal has a user update coming and it is not friendly

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-19, 10:57 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts

To those here who buy foreign parts and need a currency exchange.
Those who send friends and family- they are on to you and have a variable fee now.
Those who sell and provide a refund for some reason, full or partial, the deal wont be unwound with no cost to you.

Or, the march continues. Profit margin is king.
Old 04-15-19, 11:04 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
I saw the notice. Thank you for posting.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-15-19, 11:31 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Yeah. I got tagged with a fee on my last deal. It was good while it lasted!
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 04-15-19, 11:34 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Those who send friends and family- they are on to you and have a variable fee now.
Those who sell and provide a refund for some reason, full or partial, the deal wont be unwound with no cost to you.

Damn. The Man gotta has his.
Old 04-15-19, 12:54 PM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Cite your source please because PayPal fees as just a second ago see below..

Originally Posted by repechage

Last edited by SamSpade1941; 04-15-19 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-15-19, 05:10 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
^
+1. PayPal source please, and clarification - are these three different new issues? What's the variable fee? What's the "unwinding" fee for refunding?

Too many things left open here. Not questioning it, but would help others here to know the specifics.

-Kurt

Old 04-15-19, 07:58 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
PayPal Changes

Sounds like there are no Friends and Family fees if you use funds from you PayPal account or directly from a bank account. Credit and debit cards charge a percentage or fixed fee for transactions so unless the PayPal fees are unreasonable, I don't see a problem with that.

To me it looks like PayPal's end goal is to get more involved in banking which is pretty much what they already do but with less legal restrictions.

"Tell your friends I don't want a lot. Just enough to wet my beak." Don Fanucci - The God Father

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 04-15-19 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-16-19, 05:48 AM
Shrevvy 

Bikes: 77 Trek TX900, 81.5 Trek 950, 83 Trek 970, 84 Schwinn Peloton, 88 Schwinn Premis, 85 Pinarello Montello, 88 Lemond Pro, more...

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 136 Posts
The big change is that if you refund a sale, Paypal will not refund your fees. This is all over other boards as well. If you sell a $500 item and that item is returned, the buyer is refunded his full $500, but Paypal keeps the $15 in fees that the seller paid on that sale. The seller eats those fees. Combined with eBay’s policy (if that is where the sale occurred) of siding nearly 100% with the buyer in any dispute or return, sellers are likely to see their costs rise. I am not aware of any (reputable) merchant account that would do the same. It appears to be a gross overreach by Paypal.
Old 04-16-19, 06:14 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Shrevvy
The big change is that if you refund a sale, Paypal will not refund your fees. This is all over other boards as well. If you sell a $500 item and that item is returned, the buyer is refunded his full $500, but Paypal keeps the $15 in fees that the seller paid on that sale. The seller eats those fees. Combined with eBay’s policy (if that is where the sale occurred) of siding nearly 100% with the buyer in any dispute or return, sellers are likely to see their costs rise. I am not aware of any (reputable) merchant account that would do the same. It appears to be a gross overreach by Paypal.
Pretty we’ll all credit card banks follow the same practice. They’ll usually refund the fees if you call but it’s a hassle and not the default process. Good luck trying to call PayPal and get them reversed.
Old 04-16-19, 08:43 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
For a while, E-Bay has had an option "Pay with Credit/Debit Card".

Has anybody ever used that option?
Old 04-16-19, 09:05 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 2,509 Times in 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg;20886463[i
"Tell your friends I don't want a lot. Just enough to wet my beak." [/i]Don Fanucci - The God Father

verktyg
And look where that got him . . . .
Old 04-16-19, 09:07 AM
MrK.

Bikes: 2011 Handsome/ Twin Six Speedy Devil, 2006 Soma Groove, 1991 Haro Impulse Comp, 1987 KHS Montana Pro, 1986 Ross Mount Hood, 1986 Mongoose ATB, 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker I, 1973 World Voyageur, 1941 Schwinn DX "Klunker"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 45 Posts
I have always refused to pay using the friends and family option because I feared I would have no recourse if the deal went south. Without looking it up I think fees are about 3% plus 30 cents. On a $100 item I would just send $103.30. Not enough to squabble over. That being said, BF members are the most trustworthy group I have dealt with on line.

MrK.
Old 04-16-19, 09:46 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by MrK.
I have always refused to pay using the friends and family option because I feared I would have no recourse if the deal went south. Without looking it up I think fees are about 3% plus 30 cents. On a $100 item I would just send $103.30. Not enough to squabble over. That being said, BF members are the most trustworthy group I have dealt with on line.

MrK.
I have never not used friends and family option with BF members, and I've never been burned. If the member posts a lot here, I just don't think it's worth the karma hit.
Old 04-16-19, 09:51 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
For a while, E-Bay has had an option "Pay with Credit/Debit Card".

Has anybody ever used that option?
Yes. You get both eBay's heavy-handed anti-seller protection and your credit card company's protections, if they have some. However, I like the two-way protection offered by PayPal.

Even when people ask for Friends and Family, if I'm buying something, I add the 3% and used Goods and Services, because I want the protections provided. I buy much less now than I used to. Swap meets are much more fun, as well as sales at the dwindling number of bike shops left.

Besides, I don't have any Friends & Family.....that still talk to me, anyway.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 04-16-19 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-16-19, 12:01 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
So, this is primarily Friends and Family going overseas? Perhaps they should try something different with Canada.

I don't think I've ever used "friends and family" overseas, although I could imagine some people with close friends & family in Mexico/Latin America that would use the services a lot.

For general transfers in the USA, I doubt PayPal loses a lot, as an E-Bay credit for many of us casual users results in a balance (earning interest for PayPal), followed by legit PayPal purchases (earning commissions).

I haven't tried cash withdrawls, but perhaps that would be the key, to allow inexpensive balance transfers, but not allow withdrawals unless there are actually fees collected... at least in general.
Old 04-16-19, 12:06 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Paypal's a business, and they are in business to make money. They are also a bunch of extremely smart people.

Anyone who thought PP would allow users to send money back and forth to people who clearly are neither friends nor family without cost or recourse was fooling themselves. Surely, they are just as capable of viewing posts from people (not just here, but all over the place) who SELL things and ask SPECIFICALLY for payment via F&F to avoid seller fees. So, yeah, eventually things had to get tightened up.

If'n you don't like to pay, don't play.
Old 04-16-19, 01:31 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I have never not used friends and family option with BF members, and I've never been burned. If the member posts a lot here, I just don't think it's worth the karma hit.
True. Bad karma gonna get you.
Old 04-16-19, 07:12 PM
retrofit

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Shrevvy
I think this change will have little effect on transactions on this forum (and ThePaceLine where I also hang out) as my impression is that sellers typically state "request" that buyers pay the fees as part of the purchase if not using F&F. Like Robbie, I just include the 3% rather than deal with F&F's lack of protection.

(Side issue: I've never understood why buyers and sellers just don't agree to split the fees since both are using the PayPal service -- buyer includes an additional 1.5%, seller "eats" 1.5%. Oh well.)
Old 04-16-19, 08:43 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
For SamSpade1941- these are upcoming changes, to take effect in early May.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mp...-policies-full

bulk of the text:

AMENDMENTS TO THE PAYPAL ACCOUNT USER AGREEMENT

We are updating the PayPal Account User Agreement for U.S. customers. These changes will go into effect on May 7, 2019. If you agree to these changes, you don’t have to do anything. If you don’t agree with these changes, you may close your account. If you close your account before May 7, 2019, the changes will not apply to you.

Amendments to the PayPal Account User Agreement
  • We’re removing the flat rate pricing for sending money to friends and family members who have PayPal accounts in a country other than the United States and introducing a new variable fee of 5% based on the amount you send with a minimum of $0.99 and a maximum of $4.99 per transaction. We’re also removing any variation depending on the recipient’s country.
  • We are changing the currency conversion spread to 3.25% over a base exchange rate in situations where you are a sender of money in a PayPal transaction.
  • We’re changing how we treat refunds. If you refund (partially or fully) a transaction to a buyer or a donation to a donor, there are no fees to make the refund, but the fees you originally paid as the seller will not be returned to you.

AMENDMENTS TO THE PAYPAL USER AGREEMENT AND THE ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS DELIVERY POLICY

We are updating the PayPal Account User Agreement and the Electronic Communications Delivery Policy. These changes will go into effect on March 29, 2019 and apply to U.S. PayPal customers. If you agree to these changes, you don’t have to do anything. If you don’t agree with these changes, you may close your account. If you close your account before March 29, 2019, the changes will not apply to you.

Amendments to the PayPal User Agreement for Personal PayPal Accounts
  • As a result of a new regulation issued by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in Washington, D.C. coming into effect on April 1, 2019, we are making some changes that will affect consumers who want to hold and use balance with PayPal.

If you want to hold and use balance, you will need a balance account which will be linked to your current PayPal account. PayPal will offer two balance accounts: PayPal Cash and PayPal Cash Plus. Information about both types of balance accounts can be found in the PayPal Cash and PayPal Cash Plus Terms and Conditions.

If you are an existing personal PayPal account holder and we have already verified your identity, we will establish and automatically link a PayPal Cash Plus account to your current PayPal account. Information about your PayPal Cash Plus account, including your balance amount, will be easily available using your existing PayPal login.

For all other consumer PayPal account holders, if you want to hold and use balance, in addition to verifying your identity with PayPal, you will need set up a balance account which will be linked to your current PayPal account.
    There are no changes to any PayPal fees.
  • We are also making two other changes: (1) we are changing the time period for providing you with advance notice about important changes to the PayPal Account User Agreement to at least 21 days; and (2) we are clarifying how and when we convert currency.

Amendments to the PayPal User Agreement for Business Accounts
  • We are changing the time period for providing you with notice about important changes to the PayPal Account User Agreements to at least 5 days.
  • We are clarifying how and when we convert currency.

Amendments to the Electronic Communications Delivery PolicyWe are updating our Electronic Communications Delivery Policy to clarify that your consent to receive electronic disclosures under our Electronic Communications Delivery Policy applies to all PayPal branded accounts
Old 04-16-19, 09:21 PM
SamSpade1941 

@repechage ,, all I am really seeing here is that F&F transactions to foreigners are affected ... It just doesn't affect me I do not buy from individuals overseas . Most of what you are complaining about really doesn't affect most individuals who use paypal . I sell so very little on ebay its not really an issue TBH . If this is an issue for you however , you might consider using crypto currency .
Old 04-16-19, 09:26 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 212 Posts
Are there any other viable alternatives to paypal or ebay? Or, is it a case of "there's Google and then there's everyone else". BTW, I rarely use Google now.
Old 04-16-19, 09:30 PM
SamSpade1941 

Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Are there any other viable alternatives to paypal or ebay? Or, is it a case of "there's Google and then there's everyone else". BTW, I rarely use Google now.
actually there are alternatives, Apple pay is a good example .. as is Samsung Pay or Google Pay , take your pic. I use Paypal because I have had a paypal account as long as there has been a Paypal however there are other options and if you do sell on ebay you can just as easily opt to use another payment method its not required to use Paypal that tether was cut a few years ago .
Old 04-16-19, 10:08 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by SamSpade1941
actually there are alternatives, Apple pay is a good example .. as is Samsung Pay or Google Pay , take your pic. I use Paypal because I have had a paypal account as long as there has been a Paypal however there are other options and if you do sell on ebay you can just as easily opt to use another payment method its not required to use Paypal that tether was cut a few years ago .
There is also the Cash App (formerly known as Square Cash) is a mobile payment service developed by Square, Inc., allowing users to transfer money to one another using a mobile phone app. ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cash_App .
Another feature of this app is working with cyber currencies thus being very low cost.
Im a long time paypal user and may start using other epayments if this trend continues since I have always maintained a cash balance and dont want to be penalized by actions of bad buyers.
Old 04-17-19, 07:13 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Paypal's a business, and they are in business to make money. They are also a bunch of extremely smart people.

Anyone who thought PP would allow users to send money back and forth to people who clearly are neither friends nor family without cost or recourse was fooling themselves. Surely, they are just as capable of viewing posts from people (not just here, but all over the place) who SELL things and ask SPECIFICALLY for payment via F&F to avoid seller fees. So, yeah, eventually things had to get tightened up.

If'n you don't like to pay, don't play.
This. And, being a foreigner, Paypal has been a godsend for the 15 years I've been using it.

Old 04-17-19, 09:29 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Interesting to me at least, is that Venmo, another payment service that just happens to be owned by PayPal, does not have all the PayPal fees, yet. I haven't really investigated it, but I should.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.