Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rethinking the weight penalty...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Rethinking the weight penalty...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-20, 11:58 PM
Gunga Dan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Great thing about a pump is you're never out of gas. Assuming you don't get a flat in space...
Likes For Gunga Dan:
Old 04-21-20, 02:01 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
A friend of mine that routinely rides long distances solo while he is training for his next IRONMAN 70.3 does carry dog tags with his blood type, and medical info and allergies and contact info, etc. He also carries that John Walsh great call cell phone with the emergency button. Don't laugh as it has a very practical purpose because it is much easier if one crashes at speed and is still conscious with limited use of arms, hands, fingers because of the crash.
Don't laugh at this suggestion either, you may want to carry something that can be easily converted into a tourniquet. Even something as simple as one of your old neckties rolled up and stored with one of your wife's ponytail hair elastic band. Another potentially important item is Rx medication for emergencies or allergic reaction such as bee stings if you are allergic to bee stings. Always carry more than enough water and/or gatorade such that if it really hot and humid as it typically is here in the deep south, because the road asphalt temperature in the sun can sometimes approach near 135F during the Summertime when it is 95F or hotter with full sunshine between noon and 4pm. You can find that if you get stranded roadside while making a repair during those times, that you'll broil or bake there on the asphalt and you'll need every ounce of water or gatorade just to stay minimally hydrated. Though I'm not familiar with riding in extreme cold conditions such as what some of you Canadians, or Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul, Buffalo residents get to experience in January, but I would guess that it would be vital to carry something to stay warm and dry if you were to become stranded. One thing that some folks don't realize until it happens to them is that in many rural areas in the Deep South you often encounter charging dogs. Go Dogs or Go Dawgs is great if your alma mater is The Citadel, Mississippi State, or University of Georgia, but trust me that it is no fun having dogs charge at you out in the sticks somewhere because unlike near residential areas, the dog's human family members usually are close by to call or aid in halting the charge/attack. Realistically, you have to consider some form of repellant, whether you like that option or not because certainly no one wants to hurt the dog but if terrible owners let their dogs run crazy, you have to protect yourself, and at the same time that charging dog could get hit or run over by your front wheel at speed causing severe harm to both you the rider and the dog too as a result of the crash.
Old 04-21-20, 03:12 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
How many people claiming to not carry things for the weight could easily lose 2-3 lbs?

Very interesting thread, I currently do not carry anything, partly because I never had an issue, almost never ride too far from home and can almost always call a family member if necessary (and they'd come pick me up). But reading this is making me considering being more prepared.
Old 04-21-20, 12:07 PM
yukiinu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I always carry

Two handpumps, patch kit +levers, spoke wrench chain tool, multitool, wrenches for every bolt and nut, brake/geardhift cables, brake pads, extra tube, batteries for lights, 3 in one oil.
Old 04-22-20, 12:11 AM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
I ride my bike in a real variety of ways. For fun, running errands, commuting. I’m really liking my Carradice bag. Always wanted one. Finally bit the bullet. Perfect for my uses. Wind drag? Who we kidding? Useful? Yes......

Old 04-22-20, 06:54 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Ummm .... since you have a rack .... that Carradice could be bungeed to the rack lengthwise and cause no extra drag.

I have seen wide saddle bags....I don't worry about drag because my fat thighs are wider than that ... but my fat thighs also hit the bag which annoys me.

But .... each to his taste.
Old 04-22-20, 07:13 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
I’ve had a frame pump or a mini pump on every bike I’ve ever owned. When I started cycling aged 12, it was a club rule that every rider bring a spare tube and tire levers; that became my habit and I’ve followed the rules ever since.

My current Topeak multi tool includes tire levers and a chain breaker and spoke keys. I’m sure there are mechanical issues that can take place that this doesn’t prepare me for, but I’m yet to have them. Come to think of it I should get myself an 11 speed quicklink.
Old 04-22-20, 09:31 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520
Fixed it. Happened again.
What caused the second puncture?
Old 04-22-20, 09:36 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
Don't laugh at this suggestion either, you may want to carry something that can be easily converted into a tourniquet.
I suspect that tourniquets are much more frequently used in Hollywood than in bicycle accidents.

You can't be prepared for every eventuality.

https://www.jems.com/2013/11/20/fact...nt-types-tour/
Old 04-22-20, 09:58 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I had a very easy to repair flat the other day. Two cars stopped and asked if they could help. Of course I turned them down.

I don't know if they did that to ease their minds or if they really wanted to give me a ride home.
I had a fellow in a pickup truck stop and offer me a ride into town on a very hot humid day as I was repairing a flat on the side of the road. He even waited until I had the wheel repaired and back on the bike before leaving. He was the second person to stop and offer a ride. Some people do like to help others.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man: