Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bent Derailleur Hanger

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bent Derailleur Hanger

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-20, 09:02 PM
grindher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Bent Derailleur Hanger

Hi, I was wondering what you folk think about this bent derailleur hanger. Is it too far gone the be bent back and aligned?
Thanks

Old 05-17-20, 09:43 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
I'd say there is a very good chance it can just be bent back. Looks like the dropout needs some aligning too.
Old 05-17-20, 10:33 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
It'll probably be fine. I might try to get it close with some flat pliars before using a proper hanger alignment tool.
Old 05-17-20, 11:05 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Dang, I was up in Portland just earlier today.

I made my own derailleur hanger alignment tool. I overbuilt it, then when I got it onto the bike, wow, those things are bendy!!!

Anyway, I haven't worked on a hanger quite that bent, but one should be able to straighten it, but there are a few risk factors
  1. The adjuster style dropouts are at high risk to break or get damaged at the adjuster screw. It appears to me as if the dropout has been tweeked significantly so it will have to be carefully realigned.
  2. You also want to be careful to not bend your threads. I don't know if that is a real risk or not, but it may be best to bolt solidly through, and onto both sides of the derailleur hanger.
  3. That one may also be bent above the dropout some too where it connects to the stays.
Ultimately, unless you're planning on making a "fixie", you have very little to lose to try to repair the dropout and derailleur hanger.

Take it easy, and see what happens. The worst that could happen is you'll break your broken bike (which still may be repairable but more work).

Make sure that you clamp down anything that you don't want to bend.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 05-18-20, 05:04 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Besides the preceeding suggestions I would advise removing the axle positioning screw as-is, as it looks likely to break if you attempt to straighten it, making the stub difficult to extract. . You could try straightening it after removal but I would just replace it.
Old 05-18-20, 08:13 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Ultimately, unless you're planning on making a "fixie", you have very little to lose to try to repair the dropout and derailleur hanger.
+1 - That was my first reaction after reading the original post... you don't have a lot of options, go for it.
Old 05-18-20, 08:32 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
I'd certainly at least try to straighten that. If its not real bad I use a large adjustable wrench, I have a 3" - M10 X 1.0 bolt I thread in to keep the threads straight and put a pipe on it for leverage so it can be tweakd in both directions. Final adjustment with a gauge.
As said be careful to watch for cracking at the screw hole. Maybe clean off the paint for a better look. Even that can be welded or brazed on a steel drop out if need be. Might even want to throw some heat on it before bending.
Old 05-18-20, 09:51 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
All good advise, except there’s no advantage to heating it up that I know of. That’s a 10 minute job at an LBS. Sellwood Cycles is one place I’d recommend.
Old 05-18-20, 11:08 AM
cpach

Originally Posted by gugie
All good advise, except there’s no advantage to heating it up that I know of. That’s a 10 minute job at an LBS. Sellwood Cycles is one place I’d recommend.
I straighten hangers every day. I'd give it a good chance, but I'd definitely inform the customer that there's a non zero percent chance that it will break with a bend that bad.
Old 05-18-20, 06:56 PM
grindher

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks.

Thank you all for your advice.
Honestly I didn't realize the drop out was also out of wack until I posted the pictures here. This is a friend's bike that I do regular tune ups for. I have the Park drop out alignment tool but I don't have the hanger alignment tool. I wanted to hear what you all thought before purchasing one.
So some are saying to bend it with something other than the hanger tool first?
Also, like I said, I don't have the hanger tool yet. Do you have any recommendations? I was thinking of getting the Park one. I see cheep ones on Amazon, but I prefer to buy a quality tool ounce, and then I have it.
Old 05-18-20, 07:26 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by grindher
Do you have any recommendations? I was thinking of getting the Park one. I see cheep ones on Amazon, but I prefer to buy a quality tool ounce, and then I have it.
If you want quality tools, I hear this one is top notch, though I've never used one. I've used the Park ones, and they tend to get slop in them quickly.

https://www.abbeybiketools.com/products/hag
Old 05-18-20, 07:28 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
Before trying to do any bends get a length of all thread material and put nuts and washers on both sides of the drop outs to hold them in place before any bending takes place. That will control the bending and hold it to just bending the derailleur hanger back in place. After the first bend, check the drop out alignment, adjust if needed and then bolt the drop outs back in place, and do a final bend of the hanger with a hanger bending tool. Chase the threads before trying to re-attach any derailleur. HTH, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 05-18-20, 08:50 PM
grindher

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Yes

Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
If you want quality tools, I hear this one is top notch, though I've never used one. I've used the Park ones, and they tend to get slop in them quickly.

https://www.abbeybiketools.com/products/hag
Yes, I saw that one. A little rich for my blood. I agree with the park tool. That's why I'm thinking anything cheaper would be worse.
As I stand, I like the idea of putting a bolt through the hanger, use something to get it back into relative position, and then use the alignment tool to fine tune.
Of course I'll deal with drop out alignment first.
Thanks again all.
Old 05-18-20, 08:54 PM
grindher

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Before trying to do any bends get a length of all thread material and put nuts and washers on both sides of the drop outs to hold them in place before any bending takes place. That will control the bending and hold it to just bending the derailleur hanger back in place. After the first bend, check the drop out alignment, adjust if needed and then bolt the drop outs back in place, and do a final bend of the hanger with a hanger bending tool. Chase the threads before trying to re-attach any derailleur. HTH, MH

Great advice. I have my make shift frame spreader that will work perfectly for your suggestion. I'll work slowly. Back and forth as you suggested.

Last edited by grindher; 05-18-20 at 08:55 PM. Reason: deleted word
Old 05-18-20, 11:18 PM
cpach

Abbey tools are nice, but a Park will do you well. The vast bulk of commercial shops in the US use the Park tool. This is a super commonly used tool so if you have an otherwise well equipped set of bicycle tools I'd recommend owning one.
Old 05-19-20, 11:13 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
You can get it close with a large crecent wrench then take a rear wheel and screw the axle into the hanger (same threads) and use the wheel as an alignment tool. I have done this on the road on a cross country tour before and it was a ride saver.
Old 05-19-20, 02:13 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
You really don't have anything to lose trying. I just used my derailleur hanger tool to align my road bike RD hanger. It was a new hanger but I could never get it dialed in totally. So I had to check it and it was off. Yours may need to be re-threaded as well looking at that picture......seems a bit boogered up.
Old 05-19-20, 02:19 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by grindher
I don't have the hanger tool yet. Do you have any recommendations? I was thinking of getting the Park one. I see cheep ones on Amazon, but I prefer to buy a quality tool ounce, and then I have it.
I like Park Tools but there are other brands just as good sometimes. I have the Cyclospirit brand and it is just as good as PT. Now if I were truing wheels then the PT truing stand is best I have found for sure.
Old 05-19-20, 04:58 PM
grindher

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks

Originally Posted by Germanrazor
I like Park Tools but there are other brands just as good sometimes. I have the Cyclospirit brand and it is just as good as PT. Now if I were truing wheels then the PT truing stand is best I have found for sure.
Thanks for the heads up. It looks pretty much like the Park tool.
I've used the park tool before and , as others have noted, there's quite a bit of play in it.
I agree about the truing stand.

Last edited by grindher; 05-19-20 at 05:00 PM. Reason: added sentence.