Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Tour de France - the slimmed down edition?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Tour de France - the slimmed down edition?

Old 04-29-20, 07:18 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
Why in the name of god to do you think it would be ok for 200 guys to ride in close proximity snotting and spitting all over each other? Then the support staff, TV crews, officials. Oy. The fans are secondary. To what end would all those people engage in that manner at this time.
Things could look very different by the end of July. The number of cases could be severely reduced, and there could be sufficient testing to very tightly control the participants, organizers, TV... It's not impossible.

Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
I definitely don't think that the Tour de France will be going to the moon.
That's just nuts. This would be such a clear case of "these painfully stringent rules are just for the little people, we can roll right over their front lawn" that I can't imagine how it wouldn't enrage the people whose towns it would be passing through.
Look, enjoy your ghost race fantasies. It's just not real world. I'm done, you just keep saying the same thing more frantically.
The people want the Tour. They want the distraction and they wan't the revenue, no matter how reduced. And some other European countries are getting ready to re-start their soccer/football seasons.
Old 04-29-20, 08:42 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 383 Times in 218 Posts
Old 04-30-20, 04:27 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo View Post
Things could look very different by the end of July. The number of cases could be severely reduced, and there could be sufficient testing to very tightly control the participants, organizers, TV... It's not impossible.

The people want the Tour. They want the distraction and they wan't the revenue, no matter how reduced. And some other European countries are getting ready to re-start their soccer/football seasons.

I feel for you. We have an apartment in Queens, and I'm glad we're not there. It must be hard being there. I can see how you'd want to cling to this fantasy. There are a lot of things that are indeed possible. I grant you that. They've already kicked this down the road way past July though. So yeah, impossible. You're also talking about an effort to get something off that's irrelevant. Get people baguettes first.
Old 04-30-20, 11:02 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
I feel for you. We have an apartment in Queens, and I'm glad we're not there. It must be hard being there. I can see how you'd want to cling to this fantasy. There are a lot of things that are indeed possible. I grant you that. They've already kicked this down the road way past July though. So yeah, impossible. You're also talking about an effort to get something off that's irrelevant. Get people baguettes first.
Actually, it's rally not too bad here. People are still out jogging and riding bikes, I have a supermarket just a couple of blocks away that I can walk to... I'm not sure what things most people can do in their locations that we can't do here (RE the lockdown conditions).

And, again, given that the situation could be well under control in a few months, I wouldn't call these events irrelevant. Nobody is starving to death.
Old 05-14-20, 06:28 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 76 Posts

Tour of Britain postponed until 2021 as race organisers vow to put public safety first

https://sports.yahoo.com/tour-britai...090414409.html
Old 05-19-20, 09:47 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 11369 Post(s)
Liked 882 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
If nothing changes, this race in August/September could be the catalyst for an enormous outbreak across France:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tou...health-expert/
Hmm...

TDF still scheduled from August 29 to September 20th

Giro d' Italia scheduled from October 3 to October 25

Case numbers across Europe (except the UK) are down significantly, with Spain & Italy < 1000 new cases a day, France < 500 new cases a day. Germany also seems to be down to < 500 new cases a day. The USA, of course, has around 20,000 cases a day.

Perahps not all countries will be invited.

I'd think July/August would be good months with respect to the virus, but those can be HOT MONTHS.

Like you I fear initiating a new outbreak right at the beginning of the fall/winter season, which could have ramifications far worse than simply cancelling a bike race.