Using Face Shield on a Bike Ride

Old 05-25-20, 09:05 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Using Face Shield on a Bike Ride

I ordered some on Ebay and I also saw you can make your own with soda bottles. Covers your eyes, nose and mouth.

I wanna get back to some cycling. If I ride in country road areas where thereís few people and use the shield, do you think Iím safe? Iíll bring a hand sanitizer too.

Why are there so many mixed answers?
Old 05-26-20, 12:24 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 11837 Post(s)
Liked 3,143 Times in 1,772 Posts
There's always risk in life, and we've learned a lot about this virus but not everything so you'll get different advice from different people. But cycling outdoors seems pretty low risk on roads that don't get a lot of use. Mostly this thing spreads at work, and in enclosed indoor spaces.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-26-20, 12:43 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 11332 Post(s)
Liked 865 Times in 681 Posts
The first question would be where you are at. The risk factor of cycling in New York may well be quite different than cycling in Montana, even if you get out of the urban centers.

I worked for a company a few years ago that insisted on side-shields on the glasses when working around heavy equipment. My interpretation was the side-shields messed with my peripheral vision to the point where they were more dangerous than any potential benefit. The same thing would be true of your cycling gear. Make sure that you aren't using cycling gear that makes it harder to see the cars around you.

If you pass other cyclists, announce yourself and give them some space. Same for passing pedestrians.

As @Seattle Forrest mentioned, your overall personal risk is very low if you take some logical precautions. Make sure your are safe on the road.
Old 05-26-20, 07:01 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3726 Post(s)
Liked 2,506 Times in 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85 View Post
I ordered some on Ebay and I also saw you can make your own with soda bottles. Covers your eyes, nose and mouth.

I wanna get back to some cycling. If I ride in country road areas where thereís few people and use the shield, do you think Iím safe? Iíll bring a hand sanitizer too.

Why are there so many mixed answers?

If you're riding on country roads where there are few people, following social distancing rules is so easy there's no need for face protection of any kind. The face protection for outdoors is recommended when you can't maintain social distancing (I'm just not riding in such places right now). You can safely ignore the nonsense 60 feet recommendations that were floating around a while ago, that appears to be the recommendations of Facebook "pundits" with no other qualifications other than calculators and some gullibility as to Belgian nonsense about wind tunnels. There's no credible evidence that bicyclists need augmented social distancing requirements, and I have yet to see any epidemiologist or public health official recommend it.

I've never worn a face shield while road riding, I'd suspect you'll be putting yourself at greater risk for obstructed vision and/or heat exhaustion wearing that.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-26-20, 12:07 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I would be riding in the Half Moon Bay Area on Tunitas Creek Rd. Itís a country road and not a lot of people but who knows, maybe thereís more now cuz of the corona.
Old 05-26-20, 12:31 PM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

I would be riding in the Half Moon Bay Area on Tunitas Creek Rd. Itís a country road and not a lot of people but who knows, maybe thereís more now cuz of the corona.

I've been riding with a regular face mask in my pocket in case I have to get off the bike and go in somewhere or run into an unexpected crowding situation. Maybe just try that first and see if you think you need more?

So far, my mask has stayed in my pocket, BTW. It's been absurdly easy to avoid people, even riding 225 miles over the 3-day weekend.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-26-20, 12:44 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 3719 Post(s)
Liked 837 Times in 583 Posts
go give it a try somewhere safe & report back. I ordered a 10 pack for when I go back to work at the home improvement store. I hate wearing anything especially in my face cuz I sweat so much so Iím doubtful Iíll be able to tolerate it doing manual labor in the lumber/ bldg materials dept like cutting lumber & plywood.

on 4/11 I saw a cpl recumbent riders wearing face shields nothing else over nose & mouth. it was cooler then & they looked comfortable. but their body position is different than a regular bike hybrid or road bike

ive been using a helmet w face field attached, you can find them in amazon. with a face mask. I feel well protected but anything over 70 degrees and I want to rip everything off
Old 05-26-20, 02:44 PM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
go give it a try somewhere safe & report back. I ordered a 10 pack for when I go back to work at the home improvement store. I hate wearing anything especially in my face cuz I sweat so much so Iím doubtful Iíll be able to tolerate it doing manual labor in the lumber/ bldg materials dept like cutting lumber & plywood.

on 4/11 I saw a cpl recumbent riders wearing face shields nothing else over nose & mouth. it was cooler then & they looked comfortable. but their body position is different than a regular bike hybrid or road bike

ive been using a helmet w face field attached, you can find them in amazon. with a face mask. I feel well protected but anything over 70 degrees and I want to rip everything off

And heat exhaustion can really sneak up on you while riding.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-26-20, 03:35 PM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 223 Posts
Overkill and paranoia.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-26-20, 03:51 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 3719 Post(s)
Liked 837 Times in 583 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
Overkill and paranoia.
but itís an interesting problem to solve donít you think? I mean a lot if us are urban riders with a lot of auto truck & bus exhaust. I think itís smart. I & some family rode a cpl days ago. I was gagging just walking around the house & loading the bikes the pollen was so bad. but on the trail, we werenít having those difficulties breathing. especially my over 60 wife who has asthma. I just havenít found anything near adequate for my volume requirements when Iím cranking out solo or w a strong cycling friend
Old 05-26-20, 04:37 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TOO MANY

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 222 Posts
Tunitas is usually for the more experienced rider so you may not see your newbie riders there. You'll probably be fine but then again, better safe than sorry. Carry a mask with you.
Old 05-26-20, 08:54 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,173 Times in 610 Posts
I live in the Santa Cruz mountains and ride the rural roads most every day (except today, because it was too hot). My helmet has a partial face shield (lens), but I doubt it would offer significant protection from SARS-CoV-2. If I need that, I will wear a conventional mask. However, I never do so while riding the rural roads, only for times I am around other people. The probability of me getting infected on rural roads is pretty much zero, unless I crash and am taken to the hospital. (I am extremely paranoid about the virus, and my wife is a virologist, if that matters.) If you ride alone, you will be fine.

If you ride near pedestrians in Half Moon Bay on that trial, that is a totally different story.
Old 05-27-20, 11:56 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 72 Posts
I did see a cyclist wearing what looked like a medical grade face shield while riding his bike. Looked really miserable and this was when the temps were pretty comfortable. I also wondered what the effect would be if he crashed on his bike and did a face plant.