Old 05-25-20, 06:40 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 279 Times in 169 Posts
Holiday News.. pretty depressing.

I've seen many examples of "I, me, now" behavior and incredibly cavalier comments and behavior. These people will likely be traveling back to their homes, possibly in other states. One can only imagine what extra "baggage" is going along. Really ticks me off!
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 05-25-20, 06:51 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 3719 Post(s)
Liked 837 Times in 583 Posts
yeah *sigh*
Old 05-25-20, 07:11 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 216 Posts
This afternoon, I rode past a big Memorial Day Barbecue in somebody's driveway. Cars parked all up and down the street, a crowd of people, all sitting together on chairs or clustered around the food and drink, not a mask in sight, and the kids in a bouncy castle!

I don't know what people are thinking. Nationally it looks like we are on the decline because places like NY and NJ have finally got their numbers down, but people are discarding their caution in places, like here in Minnesota, where we are still on the upswing. We now have about 700 new cases each day- in a small state where you can still be tested only if you are symptomatic.

This is going to be with us for a long time.
Old 05-26-20, 12:55 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 11334 Post(s)
Liked 866 Times in 682 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised to see several states showing new peaks in cases starting mid week next week.

My local county only seems to have about 1 case every couple of days. Hopefully the county will be largely unaffected by the holiday. And any statewide bumps from the holiday will be short-lived.

I stayed home for Memorial day. My brother took his family overnight camping, and should have been more isolated than if he had been at work.
Old 05-26-20, 01:16 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 153 Posts
Maybe this is how civilisations fall? "Well I was in the Forum today and Stupidus Maximus gave a great speech about how the Barbarian problem was all just a hoax perpetrated by the Legions, we should keep cutting their budget"
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 05-26-20, 09:21 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 184 Posts
I would be hesitant to rely on news reports of this kind of thing. In my experience, they present worse case anecdotes of behavior, not the norm. I walked down to our local beach on Saturday, and as you can tell from the below pix, people seemed to be distancing themselves from others. I drove up to do a short hike, and while there were a LOT of cars parked up there on the highway (much of it was because they had closed the parking lot), there weren't that many people walking about, and it was a simple matter to stay a good 15 feet from anyone else, and have only brief encounters. I took a short bike ride with the progeny and found ourselves on a MUP, but it was in an ocean breeze, and again, every encounter was very very brief.

That said, I have no doubt there were instances of what I would consider to be ridiculously risky behavior. On that bike ride, we rode by an "RV park" that was full, and the lots were all of a driveway width apart. Yikes. And yea, I have seen video of people making lengthy and close contact ... bars, restaurants double yikes. Alcohol doesn't exactly have a history of promoting good judgment.

I'm not so sure it's all narcissism. People have different levels of impulse control ... some have virtually none ... and they do things that are not only dangerous to others, but incredibly dangerous to themselves. People also have different levels of acceptable risk. Whether they have a low tolerance or high tolerance for risk, people adjust their lifestyle to meet a level they are comfortable with. I do some things that others see as stupid risky (including riding bicycles and skiing), and I look at their lives of doing needlepoint or whatever as being boring to the point of being inconsistent with a full life.

It sure will be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks. I don't think there is any doubt that infections will increase (probably substantially), and I think there will be some superspreader events. But how much depends on the chances of those events occurring and how substantial compliance was across the entire population. We will see.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 05-27-20, 06:08 AM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
I would be hesitant to rely on news reports of this kind of thing. In my experience, they present worse case anecdotes of behavior, not the norm.
I understand what you're saying, but we can't forget this is a unique, highly contagious disease. It would take only a few social lapses in group behavior for this to get out hand again. Additional reminder, no vaccine, no true treatment. I think the media focus is appropriate under these circumstances.
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 05-27-20, 07:22 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 96 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 124 Posts
ME-ME-ME, lack of respect for others, lack or personal responsibility. As a senior, it really ticks me off as well. Maybe as a young person, you won't get extremely sick from it, but if it is transferred it to someone older, they could DIE. Do those engaging in this behavior not care, or are they just that stupid. Personally, even in my younger years, I didn't want to feel responsible for possibly causing someone else's death, and still don't.

Last edited by freeranger; 05-27-20 at 07:35 AM.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 05-27-20, 08:44 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
I understand what you're saying, but we can't forget this is a unique, highly contagious disease. It would take only a few social lapses in group behavior for this to get out hand again. Additional reminder, no vaccine, no true treatment. I think the media focus is appropriate under these circumstances.
I think the media focus appropriate. and I understand the import of superspreader events. But there have been occasions in the past, where they misrepresented the truth and left people with damaging false impressions.

Case in point. A couple of weeks ago, Orange County opened their beaches. The LEOs were on top of it, and surveilled the beach from the air and had teams of people on the ground, making sure people were complying with social distancing measures. They said there were a few instances where the LEOs intervened and reminded people to socially distance, but on the whole, there was substantial compliance. That information was from those in the air and on the ground. They provided that information to the State.

The local news outlets published photos of the "crowds" on the beach, ALL of which used a telephoto perspective that makes people look much closer together than they actually are. It is a known effect of photography to compress perspective. Those pictures were published and broadcast, and the Governor intervened to shut the beaches down again ... apparently based on those misleading media reports instead of the LEOs on the ground. It sparked a dispute (and a lawsuit) between some cities in Orange County and the State of California ... and was all based on misleading information. The LEOs in Orange County flatly refused to enforce the Governor's mandate. That kind of dispute isn't good for anyone.

So no ... I am not in favor of presenting misleading information, even if good intentioned. Make it factual. If there is substantial compliance with a few exceptions, say so. And if those exceptions can be especially damaging, say that too.

Last edited by Biker395; 05-27-20 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Editing to note that the lawsuits were between some cities in Orange County, not the county itself.
Likes For Biker395:
Old 05-27-20, 09:47 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
I think the media focus appropriate. and I understand the import of superspreader events. But there have been occasions in the past, where they misrepresented the truth and left people with damaging false impressions.

Case in point. A couple of weeks ago, Orange County opened their beaches. The LEOs were on top of it, and surveilled the beach from the air and had teams of people on the ground, making sure people were complying with social distancing measures. They said there were a few instances where the LEOs intervened and reminded people to socially distance, but on the whole, there was substantial compliance. That information was from those in the air and on the ground. They provided that information to the State.

The local news outlets published photos of the "crowds" on the beach, ALL of which used a telephoto perspective that makes people look much closer together than they actually are. It is a known effect of photography to compress perspective. Those pictures were published and broadcast, and the Governor intervened to shut the beaches down again ... apparently based on those misleading media reports instead of the LEOs on the ground. It sparked a dispute (and a lawsuit) between some cities in Orange County and the State of California ... and was all based on misleading information. The LEOs in Orange County flatly refused to enforce the Governor's mandate. That kind of dispute isn't good for anyone.

So no ... I am not in favor of presenting misleading information, even if good intentioned. Make it factual. If there is substantial compliance with a few exceptions, say so. And if those exceptions can be especially damaging, say that too.

Here is an article describing that very situation.

How To Spot A Misleading Crowd Photo

This technique can be used to deliberately mislead, but it’s also just a handy way of showing many people in a crowd without having them all appear at different sizes and with a lot of space in-between. I want to be clear that a photographer who uses this technique is not necessarily trying to lie to you; there may be another reason why they photographed the scene the way they did. For example, one newspaper editor pointed out that the photographer of a much-shared beach reopening shot “shot the photo...with a long lens because she wanted to get as much of the beach as she could to accurately depict the scene.” For better or worse, it’s a common technique for shooting crowds.
Old 05-27-20, 10:51 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 11839 Post(s)
Liked 3,146 Times in 1,772 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum View Post
Here is an article describing that very situation.

How To Spot A Misleading Crowd Photo
Misleading. Not in a way that matters to the situation, but it's still frustrating when somebody explains something and does it in a way that not factual. Here's a quote:

A fairly common technique photographers favour when shooting crowds is to use a zoom or telephoto lens. This compresses the foreground and background of a picture, making everybody look like they are closer together. For example, in an article on crowd photos Outdoor Photography Guide writes that a 300mm lens “compresses the crowd and makes it look larger yet more compact, creating more vibrant, more amplified photos.”

A lens does nothing to perspective. That's 100% about how far away you are from your subject. You can use a 16 mm lens and crop, change it out for a 300 mm lens, shoot the same scene, and you'll get exactly the same perspective. You can prove this to yourself by walking around and noticing the apparent distance between things.

Sorry for the digression. As a photographer this misconception irks me, and if we're going to talk about things being misleading, we might as well be accurate about it.
Old 05-27-20, 11:47 AM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Misleading. Not in a way that matters to the situation, but it's still frustrating when somebody explains something and does it in a way that not factual. Here's a quote:

A fairly common technique photographers favour when shooting crowds is to use a zoom or telephoto lens. This compresses the foreground and background of a picture, making everybody look like they are closer together. For example, in an article on crowd photos Outdoor Photography Guide writes that a 300mm lens “compresses the crowd and makes it look larger yet more compact, creating more vibrant, more amplified photos.”

A lens does nothing to perspective. That's 100% about how far away you are from your subject. You can use a 16 mm lens and crop, change it out for a 300 mm lens, shoot the same scene, and you'll get exactly the same perspective. You can prove this to yourself by walking around and noticing the apparent distance between things.

Sorry for the digression. As a photographer this misconception irks me, and if we're going to talk about things being misleading, we might as well be accurate about it.
I too am a photographer and not only aware of the focal length impacts, have asked myself, even mentioned to my wife that a particular image on the media may not be accurately portraying the scene.
My comment was in no way shaped by any particular image, most certainly not by any image taken at a distance, low angle, and telephoto. One incident in California did not form my opinion. It was also formed by in-person comments and interviews with people who should be embarrassed by what they said and what their motivations are/were.
Old 05-27-20, 11:54 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 11334 Post(s)
Liked 866 Times in 682 Posts
There seems to be a strong periodicity to the coronavirus reports in the USA, likely due to less taking samples on weekends, then labs catching up and posting results early the next week.

By Friday/Saturday, we should start seeing the impacts of Memorial Day.

Right now, it is a mix. several states have seen significant drops in numbers of new cases over the last few weeks, as others have experienced spikes in cases.

I'm convinced that reopening can be achieved in some environments, while for some reason others struggle.
Old 05-27-20, 12:04 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
I too am a photographer and not only aware of the focal length impacts, have asked myself, even mentioned to my wife that a particular image on the media may not be accurately portraying the scene.
My comment was in no way shaped by any particular image, most certainly not by any image taken at a distance, low angle, and telephoto. One incident in California did not form my opinion. It was also formed by in-person comments and interviews with people who should be embarrassed by what they said and what their motivations are/were.
To be clear, I'm not criticizing you for posting this. And it gets close enough to the truth to be useful. I've just heard this one so many times about how it's the lens that drives perspective that it gets my hackles up.
Old 05-27-20, 01:33 PM
bobwysiwyg

To be clear, I'm not criticizing you for posting this. And it gets close enough to the truth to be useful. I've just heard this one so many times about how it's the lens that drives perspective that it gets my hackles up.
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 05-27-20, 08:07 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 76 Posts
Are these images fake?

More than 4,000 maskless fans pack the stands at a North Carolina raceway after sheriff refused to enforce state's coronavirus lockdown orders on the same day the state saw it's highest increase in infectionsMore than 4,000 maskless fans pack the stands at a North Carolina raceway after sheriff refused to enforce state's coronavirus lockdown orders on the same day the state saw it's highest increase in infections

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...a-raceway.html

Old 05-27-20, 09:32 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 632 Posts
This is all I see on rides. Not complaining.

No masks no other bikes. Sometimes when I take a break a friendly soul stops and asks if everything is good. I’m lucky.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 05-27-20, 10:14 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post
Are these images fake?

More than 4,000 maskless fans pack the stands at a North Carolina raceway after sheriff refused to enforce state's coronavirus lockdown orders on the same day the state saw it's highest increase in infectionsMore than 4,000 maskless fans pack the stands at a North Carolina raceway after sheriff refused to enforce state's coronavirus lockdown orders on the same day the state saw it's highest increase in infections

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...a-raceway.html

Yikes. Nope ... those photos do not look like they used telephoto focal lengths to be misleading (never said the other pix were fake ... just that they were misleading, BTW).

FWIW, you wouldn’t catch me at an event like that.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 05-28-20, 02:41 PM
Seattle Forrest

Happy news. Wolverines are violating the stay at home order and heading for the beach.

https://www.chinookobserver.com/news/local/rare-beast-visits-the-beach-wolverine-confirmed-in-pacific-county/article_6ce0f9d4-9fa8-11ea-9e92-4f695e68199c.html
Old 05-28-20, 02:51 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts

A lens does nothing to perspective.

As a photographer this misconception irks me
wut??!?!??
Old 05-28-20, 03:04 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 2180 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 400 Posts
Pretty cool! (I had to look, being a member of the larger family of Wolverines.)
Old 05-28-20, 03:25 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by nycphotography View Post
wut??!?!??
I was going to ask for clarification on that too. I think the notion is that since the photo is taken from the same place, the perspective is the same. That is why cropping a photo to the equivalent image of a telephoto photo gives the same result (albeit with different resolution). There ought to be a good shorthand notation for that effect, but I dunno what it is. I've always heard of it referred to as perspective compression, but am ready to learn something new.

Last edited by Biker395; 05-28-20 at 03:30 PM.
Likes For Biker395:
Old 05-28-20, 03:29 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Foreshortening.

https://www.google.com/search?q=foreshortening
Likes For nycphotography:
Old 05-28-20, 03:30 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by nycphotography View Post
foreshortening
Unfortunately, that is something I am quite familiar with.

Old 05-28-20, 04:04 PM
nycphotography
NYC

lots of discussion here: https://petapixel.com/2020/05/02/con...elephoto-lens/

short version is that you have to think in MOA (minutes of angle) or AOV (angle of view) concepts in order to appreciate how the space compress or expand in monovision (one lens as opposed to stereo vision with two eyes)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.