Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone have any experience with Shimano's new quick-link?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-18, 08:05 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts

Shimano XTR/Dura Ace and XT/Ultegra chains can now be purchased with an optional quick-link.

Anyone have any experience with these? I worry about the chain coming apart while I am riding, or not shifting as smoothly. Is this warranted?
Old 07-26-18, 09:38 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
My new Ultegra 11 chain came with a quick link. I have no concerns about it coming loose, as it took some extraordinary effort to snap it in place.

I eventually resorted to the trick where you put the part of the chain with the link at the top of the drivetrain, and then with the brakes pulled hard, stomp on left pedal to apply tension to that part of the chain. During this: the reassuring 'click' of engagement.

I've put a hundred miles or so on this chain: super smooth shifting and quiet running. Shimano makes great chains.
Old 07-26-18, 09:43 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
My new Ultegra 11 chain came with a quick link. I have no concerns about it coming loose, as it took some extraordinary effort to snap it in place.

I eventually resorted to the trick where you put the part of the chain with the link at the top of the drivetrain, and then with the brakes pulled hard, stomp on left pedal to apply tension to that part of the chain. During this: the reassuring 'click' of engagement.

I've put a hundred miles or so on this chain: super smooth shifting and quiet running. Shimano makes great chains.
^what he said^ I only have one thirty mile ride on my new chain. And I found the effort to snap the link into place didn't take too much effort. Don't stomp on the pedal, you want to hear the click.
Old 07-26-18, 10:16 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

I have the Park chain link tool. Will that not work?

Old 07-26-18, 11:24 PM
BarryVee

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Santa Cruz Tallboy 27.5+

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Put about 2500 miles on CN-HG901 with included Shimano quick link. Then changed out 6800gs for R8000gs rear derailleur and had to remove links. All my LBS stocks is KMC so one of those is on now. Coupling pins work fine, both links seem ok too. So I do not have an operational preference. It is possible to install the links wrong, they are directional.

Last edited by BarryVee; 07-26-18 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-27-18, 11:35 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott

Yes! That will work. Probably easier and better than stomping on the pedal. I would also use a piece of stiff wire that will fit into the inner links. Put a hook on one end and cut it to a length that will allow slack in the chain when you pull the derailleur forward. Put a hook in the other end and attach it to the chain. This will give you slack in the chain and will make removal and installation of the link a lot easier since you won't be fighting with a tensioned chain.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Last edited by John_V; 07-27-18 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-27-18, 11:53 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Master link pliers remove links, they aren't used for installation.
Old 07-27-18, 12:39 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
You can use them for installation as the outer part of the plier is contoured to the link but they aren't really needed.
Old 07-27-18, 12:40 PM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Shimano XTR/Dura Ace and XT/Ultegra chains can now be purchased with an optional quick-link.

Anyone have any experience with these? I worry about the chain coming apart while I am riding, or not shifting as smoothly. Is this warranted?
I have been using SRAM and KMC chains with quick links for years and have never had any issue whatsoever. Currently, I am even riding a chain that I put a in a second quick link to extend its length a bit. Frankly, I am surprised it has taken Shimano so long to provide this as an option.
Old 07-27-18, 01:25 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
No worries. I've used them on several bikes without issue including a gravel bike which sees rough service.. They are equal or better in quality than KMC links.

As an aside, they are not optionally purchased but come with every 105, Ultegra and Dura Ace 11-speed chain. If you get a chain with a pin instead of a quick link it is old stock. Everything should have quick links now.

-Tim-
Old 07-27-18, 01:33 PM
toast3d

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robert schlatte
Frankly, I am surprised it has taken Shimano so long to provide this as an option.
Well, isn't the chain slightly weaker at the quick-link/master link/whatever? So maybe that's why. Maybe they thought adding it would boost sales, and decided that the slight change in the chain strength wasn't a significant factor. I'm just throwing out uneducated guesses.
Old 07-27-18, 02:11 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by TimothyH
As an aside, they are not optionally purchased but come with every 105, Ultegra and Dura Ace 11-speed chain.
Sorry, I worded it poorly. One now has the option of purchasing a chain with pins or with this quick-link. I bought two, waxed them up, but then got paranoid...
Old 07-27-18, 02:23 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,683 Times in 4,078 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
The ones pictured are designed for both install and uninstall. Some are only shaped for uninstall.

Sorry, I worded it poorly. One now has the option of purchasing a chain with pins or with this quick-link. I bought two, waxed them up, but then got paranoid...
I imagine it won't be too long until the pin ones will be difficult to come by.

As for my personal experience, I've installed a couple dozen and shifting is great. And I haven't heard of any failures.
Old 07-27-18, 04:23 PM
pdoege

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You will need to scrape down the wax to get them on if you dip wax the chain.

The chains are still compatible with the older pins that are sold in 3 packs. I did this ("belts AND suspenders") and I only use the pins when I screw up chain lengths.

For piece of mind you can throw a spare quick link into your saddle bag. If the originals fail you will not need removal tools and road side installation is easily done with the "brakes and stomp" method. Simpler and lighter than carrying a chain breaker and etc.
Old 07-27-18, 05:36 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
If by "Stomp" you guys mean slam the pedal, there is no need. Hold the brake and put force on the pedal but there is no need to slam the pedal with your foot. It only needs as much force as you can apply with the pliers, which isn't very much compared to foot pressure.

The pliers are better if you have the luxury. Sometimes the pin one side doesn't fully engage and the pliers offer more control. Either way, foot or pliers, make sure to visually inspect before riding off.

-Tim-
Old 07-27-18, 05:49 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts

Yes, it is well worth the money for installation as well as removal. Unfortunately they are not portable LOL.

Last edited by GeneO; 07-27-18 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-27-18, 08:24 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
Yes, it is well worth the money for installation as well as removal. Unfortunately they are not portable LOL.
Well worth it:

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...ts/pack-pliers
Old 07-28-18, 01:13 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 410 Posts
I love it. On the rare occasions I have had a chain fail, it has always, without exception, been been at the pin which linked the chain together. When the link is installed properly, it works well, but even good mechanics sometimes don't get it right. I've been using quick links for some time now, and have yet to have one fail.
Old 07-28-18, 11:08 AM
John_V 

Originally Posted by TimothyH
If by "Stomp" you guys mean slam the pedal, there is no need. Hold the brake and put force on the pedal but there is no need to slam the pedal with your foot. It only needs as much force as you can apply with the pliers, which isn't very much compared to foot pressure.

The pliers are better if you have the luxury. Sometimes the pin one side doesn't fully engage and the pliers offer more control. Either way, foot or pliers, make sure to visually inspect before riding off.

-Tim-
Once the quick link halves are on and aligned, you can also hold the pedal and turn the rear wheel by hand or visa-versa. One of the mechanics at the LBS I go to prefers this method over using the link pliers. Myself, I prefer the pliers.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-28-18, 03:48 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I have always opened/joined my chains on the return side, going back to many years using conventional chain/chaintool. So using the pliers is a no-brainer for me now with quicklinks.

scott s.
Old 07-28-18, 04:22 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts

I've been using SRAM quick link chains exclusively since 2001, more than 60,000 miles on multiple bikes, no real issues. Over time the quick link becomes slightly difficult to remove by hand, a light squeeze with needle nose (or your fancy) pliers will break it loose. Goes back together without tools.

I do not miss using a chainbreaker tool on non-quick-link chains.

I'm guessing SRAM's quick link patent expired so now Shimano is finally selling them.
Old 07-28-18, 07:35 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Kmc links for all my chains regardless of chain brand.

that cheap pin that shimano pushed for so long pushed me to kmc links and I haven't had a reason to go back.
Old 07-28-18, 08:18 PM
Lightingguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was disappointed to discover that the 11spd. KMC quick links are A) Not reusable and B) Require a chain tool to install.

Its my understanding that the Shimano quick links are not reusable as well. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Old 07-29-18, 11:30 AM
John_V 

Originally Posted by Lightingguy
I was disappointed to discover that the 11spd. KMC quick links are A) Not reusable and B) Require a chain tool to install.

Its my understanding that the Shimano quick links are not reusable as well. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
I think Shimano QLinks are like all the others. They all tell you that they are not reusable, but you can reuse them several times on the same chain. I think the "non-reusable" statement is meant to keep you from using the same link from a stretched chain on a new chain that doesn't come with a Quick Link. Since the Quick Link stretches at the same rate as the other chain links, using it on a new chain can cause problems. KMC does make reusable links that aren't that expensive but, from what I recall, are sold separately. I reuse the Quick Links on my FSA chains several time in order to soak the chain or perform other maintenance where it's easier to do with the chain off the bike.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-29-18, 11:33 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
I think Shimano QLinks are like all the others. They all tell you that they are not reusable, but you can reuse them several times on the same chain. I think the "non-reusable" statement is meant to keep you from using the same link from a stretched chain on a new chain that doesn't come with a Quick Link. Since the Quick Link stretches at the same rate as the other chain links, using it on a new chain can cause problems. KMC does make reusable links that aren't that expensive but, from what I recall, are sold separately. I reuse the Quick Links on my FSA chains several time in order to soak the chain or perform other maintenance where it's easier to do with the chain off the bike.

Shhh, don't type so loudly...I think I can here Kontact racing here to lecture us all about how you're GOING TO DIE if you re-use a quick link

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.