Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

LBS closings

Old 05-14-20, 05:05 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
LBS closings

I do not know if the pandemic is the ultimate slayer in regards to several LBS’ closing doors but I saw what is late news on my part and I acknowledge that but PB closed all chains. They were a staple here in NC to a degree and either they became too big or the cycling industry is truly a hard path.

Personally, I would love to see true mom and pop stores thrive with the ability to shop the major manufacturers and not be dedicated to a few brands. Sort of a big bike wish book like the old Sears Wishbook those of us from the 60’s and 70’s grew up with.

Seems the M&P’s there are in my experience deal with a brand or just a few. I think a no contractual basis but ability to order the consumer the best fit.

Well, I digress and am just a sentimental idiot I guess. But the concept seems viable and I understand when they are dealers they get better pricing but if that model concept was not in place, it would be a win for all.
Old 05-14-20, 05:42 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
It seems to me that you're talking about something that never existed on a large scale.

LBSs have always offered a limited range of bikes, concentrating on a few brands. I'm not a small business man, but it seems logical that it would be better from a business standpoint to get a full range of bikes from a few manufacturers, rather than low end MTBs from one, mid-range roadies from another, kids' bikes from yet another, and so on.

From what I've read on this site and others, most LBS sales come from service/repairs, consumables (tubes/tires, chamois cream, drink powders/energy bars, etc.) and soft goods (clothing/shoes). Bike sales are driven largely by kids bikes and lower end sales, and for someone buying that type of bike a selection between 2 - 3 brands is ample.

My favorite LBS sells mainly a full range of 2 brands, stock a few high end frames of "exotic" brands, and they'll work with you to put together any bike you want. Plus, for most LBSs there just isn't the floor space to stock a lot of bikes of different brands, and they don't have the capital to be carrying all of that inventory. "Exotics" would probably sell pretty slowly, I mean, sure, just to use an example, DeRosa makes some nice bikes, but how many people are going to want one, and how many people are going to want the model/color/size that you happen to have in stock?

The only LBS that I'm aware of that resembles what you're talking about is Wheelfine Imports, which is not really local to me (it's about a 1:45 drive from here). I'm sure that there are others, but I doubt that the market can support one in every town. Maybe one in every state, maybe not even that.

Last edited by noimagination; 05-14-20 at 05:50 AM.
Old 05-14-20, 06:38 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
I worry about a lot of businesses but more about a lot people after effects of this

Likes For hillyman:
Old 05-14-20, 06:44 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
I don't know about other regions, but here in NJ, bikes are selling like hotcakes. I have never seen so many families on bikes as I do now. No school, no sports, no choice -- I see moms, dads, kids all over the suburban streets now using bikes as a "new" outdoor activity. I'm hoping this helps boost the bike-loving-population count in this upcoming generation. Can't hurt!
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 05-14-20, 07:06 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
^^^^^^
I totally agree, the bike shops in my area are swamped with repairs and sales. Many models are sold out and they can't get more. This usually don't happen to the middle of the summer. Two of them have literally no place to stand since there are pending repairs everywhere. One hired 2 people, one to do repairs and and kid to answer the phone and move bikes.

If a LBS goes out, it was already in trouble before this started.

On another note, I have noticed a number of recently closed store fronts from businesses that realized they would not survive and folded and new ones that will never open.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-14-20, 07:18 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
same here in Maine. My LBS is telling me they are selling almost double the amount of new bikes compared to last year
Old 05-14-20, 07:28 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
im stuck for now in beaumont tex> no bike friendly town > necks & guns & 4reelers ... there are 2 LBS's in town & both have completely sold out their inventory and are scrambling to get more bikes >it's like a pandemic of bike buying has hit #always some good in the bad
Old 05-14-20, 07:34 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
You are waiting in line to get into bike shops here, partly do to social distancing, but steady stream of customers The four I deal with, on a regular basis, are doing quite well.
Tim
Old 05-14-20, 07:36 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4243 Post(s)
Liked 1,344 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by Germanrazor
Personally, I would love to see true mom and pop stores thrive with the ability to shop the major manufacturers and not be dedicated to a few brands. Sort of a big bike wish book like the old Sears Wishbook those of us from the 60’s and 70’s grew up with.

Seems the M&P’s there are in my experience deal with a brand or just a few. I think a no contractual basis but ability to order the consumer the best fit.
​​​​​​I doubt that would work in the real world.

I suspect that most people buy bikes that they can actually look at first and that they can get in a few hours. And that most people would prefer to do it this way rather than picking something from a catalog and waiting for a week or more. That is, many (if not most) customers want to be able to "kick the tires" before committing to a purchase.

The risk of people rejecting the actual bike they see later seems too high and would leave the shop with bikes on the floor they'd have to sell to other customers.

​​​​​​Shepherding customers through many pages of a catalog seems like it would take a lot of time not making any money.

​​​​

​​​​

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-14-20 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-14-20, 07:39 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
It seems to me that you're talking about something that never existed on a large scale.

LBSs have always offered a limited range of bikes, concentrating on a few brands. I'm not a small business man, but it seems logical that it would be better from a business standpoint to get a full range of bikes from a few manufacturers, rather than low end MTBs from one, mid-range roadies from another, kids' bikes from yet another, and so on.
Why? Wouldn't it be better if they could offer their customers every bike possible?

Sure, they can't have every bike there to try, but in principle more choice = better. Not to mention, if a customer buys a bike without trying it first, they could offer the fitting service, possibly adjustment service to make the bike fit better.

No, I think only selling a few brands is just a gag on them from the big manufacturers.
Old 05-14-20, 07:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
I don't know about other regions, but here in NJ, bikes are selling like hotcakes. I have never seen so many families on bikes as I do now. No school, no sports, no choice -- I see moms, dads, kids all over the suburban streets now using bikes as a "new" outdoor activity. I'm hoping this helps boost the bike-loving-population count in this upcoming generation. Can't hurt!
Are you down south? I am in Philly. The other day Action News ran a story about LBSs just across the bridge being swamped with business. Looks to be that way in the city too. With kids not able play organized sport right now I have seen so many more families on bikes. A week or two ago I passed a group of maybe 15. Most of them were children. Maybe 4 adults with them.

MLK Drive is usually closed to cars on the weekends this time of year, but the city closed it a couple of months ago to provide more space to exercise at a distance. (It's four lanes.) On a nice weekend the road is more crowded than it normally is.
Old 05-14-20, 07:44 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
It's great seeing so many people getting on their bikes. Whether they're getting a tune-up on a bike that has been sitting in the garage for a couple of years, or they're breaking out the cash and buying a new bike... it's great seeing an increase of interest in bicycling. Nothing about that could be bad.
Old 05-14-20, 07:55 AM
BNSF

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
​​​​​​I doubt that would work in the real world.

I suspect that most people buy bikes that they can actually look at first and that they can get in a few hours. And that most people would prefer to do it this way rather than picking something from a catalog and waiting for a week or more. That is, many (if not most) customers want to be able to "kick the tires" before committing to a purchase.

The risk of people rejecting the actual bike they see later seems too high and would leave the shop with bikes on the floor they'd have to sell to other customers.

​​​​
​​​​
This, exactly. Same thing with small items like parts and accessories: the store can special order those items but they can get stuck with them if for some reason the customer doesn't like them, changes their mind, plans change, etc.
Old 05-14-20, 08:01 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by BNSF
This, exactly. Same thing with small items like parts and accessories: the store can special order those items but they can get stuck with them if for some reason the customer doesn't like them, changes their mind, plans change, etc.
No one can really argue that the color of a bike on the floor "looks different than what they imagined".
Old 05-14-20, 08:09 AM
BNSF

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
No one can really argue that the color of a bike on the floor "looks different than what they imagined".
But if they do, though, what can the store do about it? I can't imagine the store would make the customer pay for it in advance.
Old 05-14-20, 08:30 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by BNSF
But if they do, though, what can the store do about it? I can't imagine the store would make the customer pay for it in advance.
(Note that we both agree with each other, apparently.)

Yes, they couldn't really require the customer to pay for it in advance.

So, they'd end up with the problem with that the OP's idea is trying to avoid: a shop full of bicycles (in really weird colors). (The point I was encouraging people to figure out.)

=======================

The OP is seeing a problem with a standard bicycle shop practice without being able to imaging why it's the standard practice.

There might be a problem with it but it seems unlikely that everybody doing it is wrong and the OP happens to be right.

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-14-20 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-14-20, 08:46 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Here in Lincoln too, I see a lot more people and families out on the bike trails.
Old 05-14-20, 01:42 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
Why? Wouldn't it be better if they could offer their customers every bike possible?

Sure, they can't have every bike there to try, but in principle more choice = better. Not to mention, if a customer buys a bike without trying it first, they could offer the fitting service, possibly adjustment service to make the bike fit better.

No, I think only selling a few brands is just a gag on them from the big manufacturers.
Depends on the brand, some manufacturers won't let you sell their bikes with other brands. Some require upfront inventory purchases that can be tough for small shops. My LBS dropped a brand that they carried for years because they changed the requirements and it wasn't feasible for them.
Old 05-14-20, 01:45 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
^^^^^^
I totally agree, the bike shops in my area are swamped with repairs and sales. Many models are sold out and they can't get more. This usually don't happen to the middle of the summer. Two of them have literally no place to stand since there are pending repairs everywhere. One hired 2 people, one to do repairs and and kid to answer the phone and move bikes.

If a LBS goes out, it was already in trouble before this started.

On another note, I have noticed a number of recently closed store fronts from businesses that realized they would not survive and folded and new ones that will never open.
my findings as well. No room in the shop
Old 05-14-20, 02:39 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
NYC bike stores are cleaning up like bandits!!!!
Old 05-14-20, 03:56 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Gonna be a lot of lightly used bikes for sale in a year or so. I'd hold off on a new purchase if you can.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-14-20, 04:28 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Gonna be a lot of lightly used bikes for sale in a year or so.
Also dogs and cats.
Old 05-14-20, 07:44 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by HeyItsSara
NYC bike stores are cleaning up like bandits!!!!
I wouldn't go that far. We're losing sales. Last weekend I counted over thirty empty slots in our store. The only reason we have money is we've not been able to replenish our inventory.

And overall, sales are down significantly over normal months in prior years. Luckily for us the hours we've cut are from employees that only work two or three days a week and don't depend on us for their primary income. But the full-timers are getting their hours. And work is very inefficient. Lots of sanitizing, setting up appointments, delivering bikes......People are lined up outside our store, but we're not cleaning up like bandits.
Likes For Rogerogeroge:
Old 05-14-20, 07:49 PM
Cyclist30923
Banned.

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts
Where I live in Northern California, bike shops are bursting at the seams with business. Inventory is very limited and service departments are swamped. COVID has been good for our local bike economy. Even pawn shop bike inventories are at record lows.
Old 05-14-20, 11:50 PM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Depends on the brand, some manufacturers won't let you sell their bikes with other brands. Some require upfront inventory purchases that can be tough for small shops. My LBS dropped a brand that they carried for years because they changed the requirements and it wasn't feasible for them.
But that is exactly my point - the brands are putting pressure on stores, they are enslaving them.
Likes For ZHVelo:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.