Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brooks Bar Tape Ends

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Brooks Bar Tape Ends

Old 05-19-20, 10:06 PM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brooks Bar Tape Ends

I have always had trouble inserting plugs into the bars after wrapping. But now I need to figure out why. I've watched numerous videos, and everyone just folds the bar tape in and sticks the plug in, sometimes using a mallet.

Yesterday I used some Brooks micro-fiber leather look tape. I really like the look and feel and the plugs (not so much the cotton cloth finishing tape - it looks like it will look dirty quickly).
  • It's fairly thick with a pronounced somewhat thick blue strip covering about 2/3 of the with of the tape and an adhesive strip down the middle of that.
  • I found it slow-going - I don't really understand why (bulk? stretch?), but I go it wrapped.
And then the bar end plugs. IMPOSSIBLE!
  • They fit into my handlebars firmly with no tape. They are snug enough in an empty bar to require a screwdriver to remove.
  • On one, I scraped away the blue for the tape extending beyond the end of the bar, but there is no way that tape is going to fit inside the bar and then have the plug inserted.
  • I've managed to get one plug in through brute force and a 20 ounce wood mallet, but some of the tape does not get pulled in evenly (there's a bulge)
But I need to re-wrap, and I may end up using plastic tape at the bar ends, folding some into the inside of the bars before inserting the plugs.

Also, I want soft bar end plugs because my handlebar ends hit my CF top frame tube at full lock.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your patience.
Old 05-20-20, 03:04 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Skiving the ends of the leather wrap would help -- just where it tucks into the bar ends. That'll thin it enough on the inside where it won't show. But be sure to measure accurately. Although at worst skiving the inside of the leather wrap would only make the wraps lay flatter, not a bad thing.
Old 05-20-20, 07:17 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
Life is good after going exclusively to the bar end plugs with hex heads screws to tighten into your bars, they always fit and not come out until you want them out, and they are reusable. Amazon has dozens of styles.
Old 05-20-20, 08:53 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 719 Posts
Since I have bar end shifters, I have never put the bar tape into the end, I simply install the bar end, then tape from the end going up. I have never had the end unravel. I am using Brooks leather bar tape.
Old 05-20-20, 09:10 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
What about carving properly-fitting plugs out of old wine bottle corks? They should blend well with the tape and make a good cushion against your frame.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 05-20-20, 10:26 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
When I put on new tape I cut the end to match the angle and use carpet tape to hold it while I wrap the bar. Plug the bars with these: https://www.benscycle.com/Nitto-Bar-...SABEgJI-_D_BwE
Old 05-21-20, 06:37 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3635 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
IMO thicker tape works best w/o the end overlap and tuck. There really is no reason to tuck it, just makes a bulge.
Likes For shelbyfv: