Old 05-20-20, 07:49 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3718 Post(s)
Liked 837 Times in 583 Posts
Opening hospitality & summer rentals?

I feel bad for the the industry in general, particularly the big tourist area near me, Cape Cod. It must be a struggle for the locals who rely on 100 days of tourism for their annual income. they want the income but may not want us visiting & bringing our population of potential virus carriers

I heard this morning that Air B&B is putting some rules into place about time between renters & cleaning

I'm thinking the beginning of the "season" won't be the same as later in the season. for example if ppl go nuts on the beaches hey might close the beaches?

I think, in general, the number of renters will be down, so the crowds won't be as big

It ight also make sense to go early in the season, before more rules & stricter rules go into place. I know some favorite places that are open now, but I'm thinking after crowds start to show up, those places will have new restrictions

I'm hoping i don't get sick or test positive before vacation. what if renters are required to provide negative test results before bveing allowed into a cottage or motel room?
Old 05-20-20, 08:16 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 87 Guerciotti, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 08 Lemond Filmore, 12 Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I also feel sad for the people and small biz that rely on vacation rental income.
I bet there will be lots more old fashion camping out with tents and camp sites will be busy.
Showers and bathrooms will still be a big safety concern.
Old 05-20-20, 08:27 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 11791 Post(s)
Liked 3,074 Times in 1,746 Posts
Ross Lake Resort had to cancel my reservation next month. The national park they operate in is still closed. Camping will probably be allowed on the lake soon, NPS requires permits to overnight which keeps the camps pretty sparse.

In a normal year I get 5 June days in the cabin on the left.

This is my dining room view.

As you can imagine, I'm sad not to be able to visit. It's always the same core staff and over the years I've become friends with some of them, I'm a lot more glad they'll be safe than I am sad about missing this time. I'll probably spend a weekend camping though and say hi.
Old 05-20-20, 09:07 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
I feel bad for the the industry in general, particularly the big tourist area near me, Cape Cod. It must be a struggle for the locals who rely on 100 days of tourism for their annual income. they want the income but may not want us visiting & bringing our population of potential virus carriers

I heard this morning that Air B&B is putting some rules into place about time between renters & cleaning

I'm thinking the beginning of the "season" won't be the same as later in the season. for example if ppl go nuts on the beaches hey might close the beaches?

I think, in general, the number of renters will be down, so the crowds won't be as big

It ight also make sense to go early in the season, before more rules & stricter rules go into place. I know some favorite places that are open now, but I'm thinking after crowds start to show up, those places will have new restrictions

I'm hoping i don't get sick or test positive before vacation. what if renters are required to provide negative test results before bveing allowed into a cottage or motel room?
We have a second home in a resort area, and were on a teleconference last night about the status of the town and it's businesses ... mostly restaurants. In a small town, news spreads fast, and the news is not good. Many ... and I mean maybe 30% or more of them have already said that they are ruined and will not be back. Some of them are businesses that have been operating there for years, through good ski seasons and bad. A pandemic is just one of those 3 sigma events that it is virtually impossible to plan for.

I heard this AM that the RV rental business is going gangbusters. It makes sense ... if you're going to shelter in place, bring your shelter with you.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 05-20-20, 09:31 AM
rumrunn6

Oh interesting. I recently received an email from my favorite dune-top beach restaurant that they are opening this weekend for takeout only. But their food was never an attraction aside from the fresh raw clams. The whole appeal of the place is a semi outdoor tiki bar style making the tequila beer clams lobsters & burgers that much more fun. I guess well try their take out but Ill keep my expectations in check
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-20-20, 09:39 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 115 Posts
meh. The people next door to us have had their place rented continually with a revolving door of people since our lockdown orders have been put in place. Virus aside, it sucks living next to that. Such things didn't exist when I bought the house. I'm basically surrounded by unregulated hotels. I'm pretty down on the whole short term rental thing.
Old 05-20-20, 09:42 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post

Can't find anything. Anyone got a link?
Old 05-20-20, 09:55 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
meh. The people next door to us have had their place rented continually with a revolving door of people since our lockdown orders have been put in place. Virus aside, it sucks living next to that. Such things didn't exist when I bought the house. I'm basically surrounded by unregulated hotels. I'm pretty down on the whole short term rental thing.
I'm sorry about that.

The resort town I was speaking of used to have areas zoned for short term rentals (appropriate for visitors) and areas zoned for long term (>30 days), which were mostly residents or second home owners that did not rent their place out, or rented it out to seasonal employees. For reasons inexplicable to me, the town voted to change that to allow short term rentals everywhere. Pretty soon, homes that used to be rented to resident workers disappeared (all Air B&B now), and it created a terrible housing shortage for employees. At the same time, homeowners who used to have a nice residential experience have to deal with loud parties and the like from short term rentals, and the the neighborhood itself is no longer a place where everyone knows each other. IMHO, that is negative progress.

Old 05-20-20, 10:00 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

We have issues like that in this region as well. Short term rentals have priced normal working folks out of lake placid.
Old 05-20-20, 11:07 AM
rumrunn6

only saw that on a local morning news segment
Old 05-20-20, 11:13 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by joesch View Post
I also feel sad for the people and small biz that rely on vacation rental income.
I bet there will be lots more old fashion camping out with tents and camp sites will be busy.
Showers and bathrooms will still be a big safety concern.
showers might be ok w all that soap and water but yeah the toilet areas ...
Old 05-22-20, 05:33 AM
rumrunn6

Air B&B CEO being interviewed on the Today Show this morning. if we don't catch it we can probably find a recording on the NBC website
Old 05-22-20, 05:34 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

thanks
Old 05-22-20, 06:11 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 11261 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 654 Posts
When I was younger, Mom & Dad used to like to go to Bandon, Oregon on the coast and rent a cabin hotel room with a small kitchenette. I don't remember the hotel, perhaps it has changed names. The cabins were fairly high density, usually renting out a floor in a multi-floor cabin. Nonetheless, it would be relatively easy to socially distance when staying in the cabin.

The trick would be to keep social distancing for the entire vacation. Eating out? Take-out? Food delivery? Checking in/out? etc.

Of course we had the Colorado skiing snafu, but that may have been before there were strict controls.

It would seem like a small resort town could have various lodging and food establishments to work with the local mayor and county health department to work out a way to keep guests, employees, and the general population safe.

Why does it always take a half hour to check into a hotel that already has one's personal info, credit card info, etc?

Likewise, even multi-room motels with exterior entry/exits could keep guests reasonably socially isolated.