The pandemic is over

Old 05-20-20, 11:42 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11791 Post(s)
Liked 3,074 Times in 1,746 Posts
The pandemic is over

This is only for Americans, but to be honest if you live in some other place, I can't even be sure you really exist because what do I need a passport for?

It turns out top scientists have learned that being tired of precautions will protect you 100% from catching the coronavirus. I mean, we all know you were never at risk to begin with, it's always been about protecting other people and what has anybody else ever done for you? So it's perfectly ok now to do whatever you like.

I think I just summarized several of the newer threads in this forum.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-20-20, 12:40 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1309 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 259 Posts
That was quick. I guess Global Pandemics and national emergencies aren't what they used to be. Yay!
Old 05-20-20, 12:59 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 4112 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 411 Posts
Does this mean it is April now?
Old 05-20-20, 01:03 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 63 Posts
Article in the Atlantic Quarantine Fatigue Is Real
The U.S. is in the midst of an infectious-disease crisis that has wrought global devastation and taken the lives of more than 75,000 Americans to date, with no end in sight. But, as other epidemics have shown, trying to shame people into 100 percent risk reduction will be counterproductive. What Americans need now is a manual on how to have a life in a pandemic. If no one else provides the guidance that the CDC won’t, each of us will need to figure out our own.
Old 05-20-20, 01:19 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 550 Times in 279 Posts
If we lower the testing rate, we lower the number of new cases.

Sometimes the simplest solution is right before our eyes.
Old 05-20-20, 01:49 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 05-20-20, 05:34 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Quoted: 17804 Post(s)
Liked 1,461 Times in 1,083 Posts
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 05-20-20, 05:41 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post

Hooo! Haaa! I...Can't...Breathe!!
I feel the same way.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 05-20-20, 05:49 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion View Post
If we lower the testing rate, we lower the number of new cases.
or you can increase the testing rates and lower the % of symptomatically infected
Old 05-20-20, 07:23 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11132 Post(s)
Liked 2,743 Times in 1,526 Posts
Now I can stop drinking bleach and go back to randomly licking door knobs.
Old 05-21-20, 12:54 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 11791 Post(s)
Liked 3,074 Times in 1,746 Posts
Which one tastes better?
Old 05-21-20, 06:32 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 11261 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 654 Posts

Most of the people I've seen are keeping "social distancing" when out and about.

Let's try to keep this in perspective a bit.

Oregon has had a total of 3,801 confirmed cases out of a population of 4.2 million, or just under 1 case per 1,000 people (9 per 10,000). We've been trickling along with 50 to 100 new cases a day since late March. And, likely a testing bias is picking up more cases now than March & April, so actual cases may be falling. Most of the cases are in the Northern Willamette Valley.

Washington has a total of 18,971 cases out of a population of 7.615 million, with an early spike, and 200 to 300 a day since mid April. About 2.5 per 1000 (25 per 10,000). Heavily weighted towards a couple of counties, with King County having 7,602 cases (double the whole state of Oregon), and a population of 2.253 million (3.4 per 1000, 34 per 10,000).

If a person's social circle is < 300 people, one might be lucky if one knows one person that has had the virus in the last few months.

New York State has 354,370 cases with a population of 19.45 Million, and 18 per 1000, or 180 per 10,000. Numbers have plummeted in the state, but they're still getting about 1,500 new cases a day.

Parts of Oregon have unofficially been reopening since May 1, but officially since May 15. And, no big spike in new cases.

Lane County, where I'm at has had 2 total deaths.
We have a total of 66 cases in Lane County and a population of 382,000, or about 0.17 per thousand or 1.7 per 10,000. The numbers have been slowly trickling up with a couple new cases a week in the whole county.

The state has decided to obfuscate the numbers, so my zip code has "1 to 9 cases in 40,000 people". Eugene has a total of 41 cases in 3 zip codes, leaving 25 cases in the rest of the county. 8 zip codes with cases and 173,000 population, So... 0.144 per thousand, or 1.44 per 10,000, so a little less than county average (even excluding areas with zero cases).

And, looking at a little less than 1 new case a day in the whole county, the risk for a single trip to the grocery store just isn't that high. Non-zero, yes, but astronomical, no.

I'm not saying that one shouldn't use some caution. But, for the average person in low to medium risk groups, there isn't a need to live in fear.

And, of course, that depends on where one is. Oregon has a few counties, and quite a few zip codes with ZERO cases. And, one county with > 1000 cases (again not evenly distributed in the county).

On the other hand, there may be neighborhoods in New York and New Jersey where one should put on one's SCBA suit to venture out of the house (which, of course, is worthless without the proper decontamination procedures).

Likes For CliffordK:
Old 05-21-20, 06:59 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 3538 Post(s)
Liked 1,035 Times in 694 Posts
I'm actually surprised we managed even a semi-quarantine for two months.

As soon as there were indicators that most COVID-19 deaths were elderly, minorities, had disabilities or comorbidities, it was inevitable younger people would say "Eff this, let those people die, I have parties to go to."

Which is precisely the reaction from some younger folks here when it was reported a local nightclub owner had been hosting warehouse parties attended by hundreds of people for the past month or so. When the news reported it, nobody denied it or felt like they'd done anything wrong. Some of the people who'd attended it seemed indifferent to the fact that they might infect their own grandparents or vulnerable family, friends or neighbors. At least once comment said "Who cares if it kills some fatties."

If it wasn't already clear... if you're over age 65, have any significant health problems, are obese or have diabetes... you're on your own from now on. Don't expect public policy or most younger people to care about whether you get sick from this virus months or a year or so from now.

And unless the virus mutates for the worse and impacts more younger and healthier people, they won't care when the second wave hits even harder because of complacency. You've probably already seen the sign from the April demonstration in Tennessee: "Sacrifice the weak. Re-open Tennessee."

Partisan politics have primed Americans for this attitude for years. Every time politicians talk about the deficit, cutting Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, food and housing assistance, they're sending a dog whistle message: old people, weak people, anyone "not like us" is a burden on society.

Some folks will welcome this. Instead of resorting to genocide and eugenics they can sit back and let nature take its course without intervention from humans in the form of public policy or a better health care system.

I suppose I've reached the point in my cynicism where I'm almost grateful for this pandemic. It's enabled some people to draw lines very clearly. I no longer need to concern myself with being civil to monsters.

Yup, it was a real poster, not photoshopped. Confirmed. But nobody seems to know the intentions of the person holding the sign.
Old 05-21-20, 07:13 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

the MASK ... he's a troll screwing with the dazed & confused that seem to be waiting for a bus ride to yesterday #irony not satire
Old 05-21-20, 07:19 AM
spdntrxi

Bikes: Parlee,BMC,Specialized and Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post

yes April 1st
Old 05-21-20, 09:09 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot View Post
the MASK ... he's a troll screwing with the dazed & confused that seem to be waiting for a bus ride to yesterday #irony not satire
Looking at the jeans fit, and the hair length, and I'd just as easily say she's a troll. Also, this would be satire.
noun
  1. the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.
Old 05-21-20, 10:24 AM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 2153 Post(s)
Liked 542 Times in 383 Posts
Our pres has been right the whole time. The best prevention is denial. Always works (at least as long as the denier never lets his/her guard down). To aid in denial, the CDC and many states have started mixing antibody and virus test results, increasing the negative pool and lowering the percentage sick as well as making it impossible for anyone to use those numbers to extract real data and trends. So positive percentages fall as more antibody testing comes into play and it appears we are over the hump and we can open up and go back to business as usual.

Now the pharma industry is missing a on huge opportunity. Take that denial, encapsulate it in sweet cherry flavored lozenges and market it. All good, Our pres makes money (he has shares in the pharma that takes this on I'm sure), stockholders do well, Wall Street turns up, folks flood to their Target or Walmart and the cursed social distancing falls apart (it is only needed by those without enough of that Denial, now a registered trademark).

Granted, it will be debated for the next hundred years as to whether the fatal cases of COVID infection happened because the denial lapsed or the denial fell because the individuals got sick. But that's a matter for philosophy classes in liberal arts institutions. Here on the front lines we need to keep it simple. Denial works. And should you feel it failing, go out and buy that Denial. Take two a day, one on awakening, one before bed (and additional lozenges anytime you feel it slipping).
Old 05-21-20, 10:42 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam View Post
Looking at the jeans fit, and the hair length, and I'd just as easily say she's a troll. Also, this would be satire.
i guess i will nit pick you: IRONY is used to describe a situation( s) > the irony of trump being against voting by mail when he voted by mail ... SATIRE is a writing or movie that uses literal duality as a means of criticism ... satirical writing is an extended DOUBLE ENTENDRE > the novel CATCH 22 the movie MASH ... SARCASM is generally verbal or short written response that is intended to derogate by means of affirmation > "have at it" when pointing out incorrect method ... this is only very important to people like ME who wastes time choosing the perfect word or phrase only to be drowned in a sea of failed adjectives, forgotten verbs &, malapropisms ... so don't take this as trolling because when im on the P&R threads i feel like the bike mechs answering my ill conceived Qs on their thread > i say this because i used 2 B a professional word user OH almost forgot> i think it is a SHE

Last edited by jack pot; 05-21-20 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-21-20, 03:43 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 63 Posts
Good article by Yascha Mounk in the Atlantic

Prepare for the Roaring Twenties The human desire to socialize will survive the pandemic.

COVID-19 will undoubtedly cause some important shifts. But the sensationalist predictions that now dominate the world’s opinion pages are likely to be highly inaccurate. That the pandemic will radically alter the course of globalization is far from certain. And it almost certainly won’t stop people from enjoying an active social life—even at bars, parties, and restaurants.
The coronavirus pandemic is a tragedy of historic magnitude. It may well be remembered as the most significant global event since the fall of the Soviet Union. I do not in any way mean to downplay either that magnitude or the suffering it will continue to cause for many years.

Even so, let’s avoid the temptation of chronocentrism. Sooner or later, this bout of pestilence will come to an end. Humanity will survive this pandemic. In its aftermath, as after so many other disasters, we will learn to thrive anew. And although the world we then inhabit will be different, it won’t be unrecognizable.
Old 05-21-20, 05:01 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Quoted: 17804 Post(s)
Liked 1,461 Times in 1,083 Posts
...I hope the fashion trends repeat. I always thought those 20's flapper dresses were hot.

Old 05-21-20, 07:34 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
...I hope the fashion trends repeat. I always thought those 20's flapper dresses were hot.

spoken like a fireman without a fire