Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Seeking Information/Knowledge About Delta Brakes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Seeking Information/Knowledge About Delta Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-11, 02:34 PM
cpsqlrwn
OldSchool

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Would this beauty be SL or SLX?
Old 09-29-11, 02:36 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by cpsqlrwn
Much better, thank you!
You are very welcome.
Old 09-29-11, 02:59 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
The early ones before they were withdrawn for a time with the QR on the caliper assembly are a bit smaller than the reworked production units. The dimension between the primary pivots is different. 25 mm tires were not be used.

The later production units worked reasonably well, I do not think they were worth the extra weight and fussiness. Those issues are balanced by the high style of them.
Old 09-29-11, 03:03 PM
sauze

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Andycapp
I thought this was interesting

"reader Mikael Bergqvist has this unique Delta brakeset, modified to include:

All steel hardware replaced with titanium (thanks to SRP)

Tyre guides removed, new spacers made.

New spacers between brake and frame/fork made from aluminum.

New brake pad nuts made from aluminium.

New covers in carbon fiber.

All alu. parts anodized black.

The result: Classic AND high tech, total weight for the pair: 371g"

which after googling around seems to be a very reasonable weight.
Old 09-29-11, 03:08 PM
mapleleafs-13 

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto, Pinarello Montello, Bianchi Celeste

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[/IMG]

I my deltas, this is the first pair of deltas i've ever owned. They work great actually, there's nothing bad about the stopping power. I believe i have the 5 pivot version.

I think i may have gotten devinfan a little hooked on them. When we went on a ride last, he said "I can't stop staring at your delta's, i gotta get a pair now", it was funny kinda creepy hahah just kidding.....
Old 09-29-11, 03:43 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by sauze
I thought this was interesting

[I]"reader Mikael Bergqvist has this unique Delta brakeset, modified to include:

snip
Wow

Old 09-29-11, 04:06 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Wow

There was a set of Weinmann Deltas that sold last year and had a similar CF front cover. I'm wondering if it was the same guy who modded it.
Dang!, I should have bought them. They went for cheap as the body of the front caliper was a bit butchered up on the back to allow it to fit closely to the lower head race assembly of some bike but the CF covers would have been a nice mod for my own NOS set.

Chombi
Old 09-29-11, 04:17 PM
mapleleafs-13 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chombi
There was a set of Weinmann Deltas that sold last year and had a similar CF front cover. I'm wondering if it was the same guy who modded it.
Dang!, I should have bought them. They went for cheap as the body of the front caliper was a bit butchered up on the back to allow it to fit closely to the lower head race assembly of some bike but the CF covers would have been a nice mod for my own NOS set.

Chombi
this is probably the same process when they put carbon fibre laminates on tuner cars, i've seen them put these finish's over car trunks and harder parts that normal carbon fibre car companies don't make, like gluing them onto car interior parts and so on then finishing them and clear coat and whatnot (i know that in the tuner car industry they do make all carbon hoods and trunks and whatnot, but sometimes for more rare cars and whatnot they'll do this finish over the original steel trunk to get "the look" because they don't make that part)
Old 09-29-11, 08:53 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by cpsqlrwn
Would this beauty be SL or SLX?
Thank you for the compliment.

She is SLX.
Old 09-29-11, 09:00 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by mapleleafs-13
[/IMG]

I my deltas, this is the first pair of deltas i've ever owned. They work great actually, there's nothing bad about the stopping power. I believe i have the 5 pivot version.

I think i may have gotten devinfan a little hooked on them. When we went on a ride last, he said "I can't stop staring at your delta's, i gotta get a pair now", it was funny kinda creepy hahah just kidding.....
That is a beautiful Bianchi. Having recently acquired a Bianchi Infinito, I can nevertheless appreciate the beauty of these vintage Bianchis.

I have a question for you and it has to do with style and aesthetics.

I have often been tempted to change my Bottechia's drivetrain to a more modern one, i.e., Campy brifters (gad I hate that word!).

Everytime I am ready to pull the trigger, however, I talked myself out of it. Even though a modern drivetrain would make it a lot eaasier for me to climb the many hills near my home, I keep thinking that keeping the Bottecchia's original Campy drivetrain makes more sense from a totally stylistic point.

With that in mind, why did you change your bike's drivetrain (this of couse assumes that you in fact changed it and did not buy the bike in its present configuration).

Your Bianchi is beautiful as it now is, I am just wondering what the analysis is for making the change - maybe I will eventually be persuaded to change mine.

Grazie amico!
Old 09-29-11, 09:16 PM
mapleleafs-13 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
That is a beautiful Bianchi. Having recently acquired a Bianchi Infinito, I can nevertheless appreciate the beauty of these vintage Bianchis.

I have a question for you and it has to do with style and aesthetics.

I have often been tempted to change my Bottechia's drivetrain to a more modern one, i.e., Campy brifters (gad I hate that word!).

Everytime I am ready to pull the trigger, however, I talked myself out of it. Even though a modern drivetrain would make it a lot eaasier for me to climb the many hills near my home, I keep thinking that keeping the Bottecchia's original Campy drivetrain makes more sense from a totally stylistic point.

With that in mind, why did you change your bike's drivetrain (this of couse assumes that you in fact changed it and did not buy the bike in its present configuration).

Your Bianchi is beautiful as it now is, I am just wondering what the analysis is for making the change - maybe I will eventually be persuaded to change mine.

Grazie amico!
this is pretty much the way i got it, i was looking for something with brifters, i don't enjoy downtube shifters, mainly cause i'm lazy , when i saw the c-record group it just sealed the deal, i could not resist
Old 09-30-11, 02:17 PM
lml999

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a brief note, the early Deltas had the white rubber dustcover on the top, the later ones have the black.

I've got an '89 Colnago Spiral Conic SLX set up as a fixed gear with Record components. I put a set of Deltas on it briefly a while ago, but thought that they looked large relative to the frame size (I ride a 52cm frame). I'm tempted now and again to pick up another set...

Lee
Old 11-26-11, 03:27 AM
J T CUNNINGHAM

Bikes: '86 AMBROSI / C RECORD. PINARELLO MONTELLO / FRAME, FORK.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And then there is the problem with the first generation rear mechanical when the limit stop breaks off.

Regards,
J T

Last edited by J T CUNNINGHAM; 11-26-11 at 03:32 AM.
Old 11-26-11, 08:06 AM
jr59

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Mine don't stop the way I want to, but look so good I can't take them off.

I'm sure glad it's flat around here.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Red-Eddy-Merckx-021.jpg (100.5 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg
Red-Eddy-Merckx-001.jpg (99.0 KB, 86 views)
Old 08-05-13, 03:39 PM
ALPHA37

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have several bikes with delta's ( 1st gen to last and even croce d'aune ones... ) i also must say , when set right , they are fine brakes... no problems riding them myself
Old 08-05-13, 04:30 PM
EhGiOeS

Bikes: C 93 Colnago Early 70's Colnago Sport Mid 80's I think East German National Team Bike "77" Gios Super Record Early "90's" Contini GOIDESIGN Early 90's Contini Reynolds 501 oval tube tourer 70's J van Staeyen Flemish Club bike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have 10 pair of deltas.Including a pair pantographed for the Italian national team. I kinda like themm Ed
Old 08-05-13, 04:42 PM
b dub 
CL Addict

Bikes: '50s Leon Cattrysse - late 50s Raleigh Lenton Sports - 1960/61 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta - '84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirr

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by EhGiOeS
I have 10 pair of deltas.Including a pair pantographed for the Italian national team. I kinda like themm Ed
I have two and a half sets (2nd, 3rd and half of 4th generation) and I thought that was not too common...
Old 08-05-13, 05:16 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Campy Deltas aren't as rare as people might think, except for maybe the ones with the dark smoked finish. Always lots of them for sale every year at eBay. What's amazing is how much they hold their values and how much they keep going up, despite being panned by many as a brake that's hard to set up, being too heavy and on the weak side, braking power-wise compared to sidepulls of their time.... Their looks always seem overcome all those supposed "issues" otherwise.
I wonder if Campagnolo can bring them back, re-ingineered with maybe a modern touch like Ti and CF parts on it, and yet another different pivot arrangement under the covers for even better braking..... I bet lots of people will eagerly go for them....
Old 08-06-13, 05:47 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
I never had too much trouble with mine, my pads are getting long in the tooth though and I would love some new ones. I bought what were supposed to be Delta pads off ebay a few years ago but they looked more like mid '90s pads.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-06-13, 06:07 AM
Mark Kelly 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I never had too much trouble with mine, my pads are getting long in the tooth though and I would love some new ones.
IMO replacing the pads with modern ones is the single biggest improvement to be made with Deltas. I fabricated a simple pair of adapters to suit Koolstop pads and holders for my front brakes and haven't looked back. I left the rear ones with the old setup because they're good enough for that.

Not acceptable to the purists of course.
Old 08-06-13, 06:14 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
On the rarity of the 3.5 mm allen wrench (0.138") can't you use a 9/64" (0.140") one?
Old 08-06-13, 05:01 PM
EhGiOeS

Bikes: C 93 Colnago Early 70's Colnago Sport Mid 80's I think East German National Team Bike "77" Gios Super Record Early "90's" Contini GOIDESIGN Early 90's Contini Reynolds 501 oval tube tourer 70's J van Staeyen Flemish Club bike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by b dub
I have two and a half sets (2nd, 3rd and half of 4th generation) and I thought that was not too common...
Looking at them from a distance I always thought they looked clunky. Then I bought a bike for $ 90 delivered. Delta brakes and C Record white hood levers. The workmanship is unreal for a bike brake. So last winter they were selling very cheaply in Europe. I paid between $ 150 and 200 a set. I had to stop at 10.I have 10 Colnagos the 93 being the newest. Ed
Old 08-06-13, 05:03 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
On the rarity of the 3.5 mm allen wrench (0.138") can't you use a 9/64" (0.140") one?
The wrench isn't that rare you just need to think outside the bike shop.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-06-13, 05:40 PM
Chombi

My pet peeve with Delta brakes, was always how one could manage the brake cable ends on them as they come out at the bottom of the cable anchor on the caliper.
On the Wienmann Deltas, Installed and adjusted properly, they kinda just peep out of the bottom of the caliper body casing, as seen on this pic of mine...

Mind you, it took quite a bit of effort and multiple trimming and adjusting just to get it right so the cable cap does not hit the top of the tires and cause an irritating whining noise and maybe damage the tire tread after some miles and still be long enough to make it easy to grab for any future adjustment of the cable. Tried bending it to the front and the back of the caliper body, but the clearance is just so small as to make it hard to establish where to do the bend on the cable and adjust the brake properly at the same time....
Not sure how it's handled on the Campy Delta, but I assume that there might be similar problems with the cable end management. It's a small detail to contend with, but can be irritating when trying to set up and install such a high spec/high cost C&V component.... where "perfection" is usually expected.
I suspect that one big reason the Delta designs did not take over from the sidepulls mainly because of their fiddly nature when you install and adjust them.... They must have been a bit of a headache for mechanics to look after in Pro races....
Old 08-06-13, 08:57 PM
Mark Kelly 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Chombi, I agree, my Deltas cost me three sets of new cables before I worked out how to "do it right" (and threw away the cable cutter I was using).

A couple of years later I came up with the technique I use now: fit the cable with no wheel, using a block the width of the rims to adjust cable clamp position, then mark the cable 5mm past the clamp. Then remove the cable, unwind it slightly at the mark and apply flux liberally, allow it to rewind then braze the strands together with Harris 56 or Cycle Art System 48. It is essential not to allow the heat to affect the part of the cable which will carry stress: the wire is cold drawn and the heat will anneal it, destroying its strength. I then clean up the braze and rethread and clamp the cable then cut it. The brazed end means the cable can be removed and rethreaded as many times as you want without ever fraying.

PS: that Alan is gorgeous. Mavic derailleurs and Simplex shifters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.