Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

We're going to yell at you.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

We're going to yell at you.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-15, 03:12 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 712 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
Some might, but I've never met one. Not that it's particularly practical to do so since you can't really exclude someone from slotting in if they're determined to do so.
I realize I'm breaking with tradition by offering a serious answer to a serious question in the context of this particular thread, but here goes:

My Club allows non-members to join a ride once; after that they're expected to join the Club. The way they manage that is pretty simple: You sign up for the ride in advance, on-line...which obviously is impossible if you're not registered in the Club's on-line database. Ride leader gets a pre-populated attendance sheet from these on-line sign-ups, and anyone who shows up at the start of the ride whose name isn't on that sheet gets a "Who the f*ck are you?" (though usually more polite).

And as for non-members joining in the ride after it's already in progress -- i.e., jumping onto our paceline -- presuming we want to discourage that, a quick "Hi, this is a Club ride and our insurance policy forbids non-members from joining" usually does the trick. Especially if you elaborate, like "Hi, this is a Club training ride and our insurance policy forbids non-members from joining these inexperienced beginners", that always scares them off!

Yeah, we can be dicks.

We're also going to yell at you. Seriously.
Old 08-30-15, 03:17 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Yeah, we can be dicks.

We're also going to yell at you.
So after being a dick and yelling at someone instead of acting like a big boy, are you going to back down if they want to smash you in the face?
Old 08-30-15, 03:34 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Adults in Lycra and cleats throwing punches? YouTube awaits this hilarity.
Old 08-30-15, 03:44 PM
Lazyass

Yep.

Old 08-30-15, 04:33 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
It depends upon the ride, the group, where you are and whether or not the ride is publicized. One of the nice things about being a road cyclist is that you can fit in with group rides just about anywhere and I've done so quite often when traveling. I usually make it a point to contact them beforehand explaining my intentions and experience. If I'm just picking up on a group, I watch them from the back first to see if they seem to know what they are doing and then I'll politely ask to join. Some rides are so well known that a large percentage of the participants will be non-locals looking to test their legs. (The Shootout Ride in Tucson is like that.) If you're competent, you can fit in anywhere. I suspect the OP's ride is quite well-known in his locale and lots of n00bs who want to find out if they're fast show up to test their legs, some of them without the requisite skills. Hence, the frustration.
Good post. There are Rides like this all over if you ask around so they are not always a set group just whoever shows up.
Old 08-30-15, 04:39 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
Adults in Lycra and cleats throwing punches? YouTube awaits this hilarity.
Old 08-30-15, 04:43 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
So after being a dick and yelling at someone instead of acting like a big boy, are you going to back down if they want to smash you in the face?
Aside from the fact that it's a group ride and not a tough guy bar on a Saturday night, why on earth would someone want to start a fight over being excluded when the intentions of the group are made quite clear?
Old 08-30-15, 04:53 PM
Lazyass

Aside from the fact that it's a group ride and not a tough guy bar on a Saturday night, why on earth would someone want to start a fight over being excluded when the intentions of the group are made quite clear?
I don't know. Why would someone want to be a dick and yell and basically have a little hissyfit towards another grown man on a group ride? Can't you tell a guy to just leave or whatever without being a drama queen?
Old 08-30-15, 04:54 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't know. Why would someone want to be a dick and yell and basically have a little hissyfit towards another grown man on a group ride? Can't you tell a guy to just leave or whatever without being a drama queen?
You've never been on a fast group ride, have you?
Old 08-30-15, 05:02 PM
Lazyass

You've never been on a fast group ride, have you?
Uh yeah man. But I ride with down to earth people. Deflate your head a little, Lance. Is it a rule where you live that you wannabe World Tour racers have little hissyfits toward other riders instead of being adults? Are you a dick and yelling at a guy one on one or with your buddies around you?
Old 08-30-15, 05:06 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Voodoo76
Good post. There are Rides like this all over if you ask around so they are not always a set group just whoever shows up.
The rides I go on don't belong to any one club, team, or shop. They have existed seemingly forever.
Old 08-30-15, 05:09 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
If that grown man is doing dangerous stuff, try a calm tone at 27 to 30mph. Note your results.
Old 08-30-15, 05:13 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What kind of roads do you ride on - what kind of groups are there in your area? Do you get to see cat fights, too?
Old 08-30-15, 05:25 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by EventServices
If that grown man is doing dangerous stuff, try a calm tone at 27 to 30mph. Note your results.
That's not blazing speed, but what is the required speed that separates talking like an adult and having a hissyfit?
Old 08-30-15, 05:33 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by kbarch
What kind of roads do you ride on - what kind of groups are there in your area? Do you get to see cat fights, too?
I've lived and ridden with groups in a lot of places, including Burlington County, NJ and Princeton. Probably many more places than you. Never seen a cat fight but I've never seen anyone behave like you guys talk about. Racing is a different matter but we're talking about local group rides. Some of you need to come down to earth.
Old 08-30-15, 06:24 PM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by EventServices

No offense but why does it seem that only you experience these random and dangerous rookies jumping into your line?
It has been noted by other people in this thread that you have posted about this more then once.
And where is there an endless supply of who you categorize as rookies or dangerous jerks that have enough skill and training to even be catching and hanging with a 30 mph pace line?
These random riders have trained long and hard enough to get that fast without learning any rules?
Riiiiiight....
Old 08-30-15, 06:40 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
No offense but why does it seem that only you experience these random and dangerous rookies jumping into your line?
It has been noted by other people in this thread that you have posted about this more then once.
And where is there an endless supply of who you categorize as rookies or dangerous jerks that have enough skill and training to even be catching and hanging with a 30 mph pace line?
These random riders have trained long and hard enough to get that fast without learning any rules?
Riiiiiight....
Strong athletes come to cycling from other sports and are often able to generate quite a bit of power rather quickly. It's not at all uncommon.
Old 08-30-15, 06:42 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Uh yeah man. But I ride with down to earth people. Deflate your head a little, Lance. Is it a rule where you live that you wannabe World Tour racers have little hissyfits toward other riders instead of being adults? Are you a dick and yelling at a guy one on one or with your buddies around you?
The fact that you can't seem to communicate without mischaracterizing what I'm saying or doing so in an insulting manner says quite a bit about who might actually be "a dick".
Old 08-30-15, 06:43 PM
72SuperSport

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reading thru this thread only vindicates my judgement to ride totally alone.
Old 08-30-15, 06:45 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 72SuperSport
Reading thru this thread only vindicates my judgement to ride totally alone.
Your loss.
Old 08-30-15, 07:03 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
Riiiiiight....
*cough* triathletes *cough*
Old 08-30-15, 07:08 PM
smarkinson

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Will there be a party for the ten year anniversary of this elite thread?

1st jun 2016, keep it free in your calendars.
Old 08-30-15, 07:12 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
*cough* triathletes *cough*
We have a winner.
Old 08-30-15, 07:30 PM
72SuperSport

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your loss.
Nope - no loss. I ride to clear my head, among other things. Don't need posers or attitudes, or stupid spandex plastered with some dreck corporate logos. There's too much advertising in this world already. You want to pass - be my guest. Just don't then tuck in, right in front of me. You're going to pass? Then pass and keep going. I won't get in your way - don't get in mine.
Old 08-30-15, 07:48 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by 72SuperSport
Nope - no loss. I ride to clear my head, among other things. Don't need posers or attitudes, or stupid spandex plastered with some dreck corporate logos. There's too much advertising in this world already. You want to pass - be my guest. Just don't then tuck in, right in front of me. You're going to pass? Then pass and keep going. I won't get in your way - don't get in mine.
Then just hold your line and quit swerving.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.