Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

eBike Specific Brake Disc Pads

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-24, 02:47 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts

I have noticed that some brake disc pad manufacturers are now marketing eBike-specific pads. One such example is Kool Stop's KS-D160E. There are other examples as well. Kool-Stop describes their ebike discs as:

Our E-Bike disc pads are produced with a ceramic barrier between the organic friction material and the steel backing plate to reduce heat transfer into the brake calliper, causing brake fade. With the heavier design and quick speeds of Electric bikes, they require a compound that will hold up and provide consistent braking power.
Do you have any thoughts on the benefits (if any) of eBike-specific pads over the 'normal' pads? Particularly in the context of bikes limited to 25 km/h (I am in Australia).

Context: I want to get a set of spare disc pads for my Magura MT4/MT5 brakes and tossing up whether to stick to Magura pads (recommended 7.P, and 9.P - (Organic pads with <30% metal).
Old 03-13-24, 09:17 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
Kool Stop produces great products FME, but I would think that allowing heat to flow freely would dissipate it better, while concentrating it in the pads would be anti-productive. Guess I learned something --- maybe.
Old 03-13-24, 01:49 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Aushiker
I have noticed that some brake disc pad manufacturers are now marketing eBike-specific pads. One such example is Kool Stop's KS-D160E. There are other examples as well. Kool-Stop describes their ebike discs as:

Do you have any thoughts on the benefits (if any) of eBike-specific pads over the 'normal' pads? Particularly in the context of bikes limited to 25 km/h (I am in Australia).

Context: I want to get a set of spare disc pads for my Magura MT4/MT5 brakes and tossing up whether to stick to Magura pads (recommended 7.P, and 9.P - (Organic pads with <30% metal).
SWAG they're a high-temp fade-resistant formula for heavy bikes and higher speeds. (In the States, Class 3 e-bikes have a boosted limit of 28mph and I've see ebikes in the 70-80 pound range.) Could there be downsides? e.g., increased rotor wear, more dust, tendency to glaze or squealing, reduced feel?

If you are happy with the current pads I see no reason to switch.

Similarly, there are e-rated tires (sorry, tyres) and chains.
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 03-13-24, 04:01 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
My Pivot E Vault came factory equipped with a Shimano Ultegra groupset including disc brakes, nothing special because it’s an E bike. Now in all fairness it is extremely light as E bikes go so perhaps there’s something to this but it feels more like marketing.
Old 03-13-24, 05:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
I am testing SwissStop disc brake pads on my R+M and they are so far quite good though had a Magura warranty so need to replace the actual front caliper (they sent the new one just haven't been able to install it) I would say they are great pads and at least at my old shop they were cheaper than the Magura pads which I had been using and still use. I have a nice stockpile of Magura pads because I have 3 bikes with Magura brakes so having extras is nice. I don't think I have tried the KoolStop pads yet in the E-bike version but certainly their normal disc pads are excellent I put them on my touring bike with TRP Spyres replacing the stock pads and holy moly what a difference.

In the end the Magura pads are great so it is a tough one but so far the SwissStops are good and I know their rim brake pads are the absolute best so I couldn't say no to either.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-13-24, 08:27 PM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
My Pivot E Vault came factory equipped with a Shimano Ultegra groupset including disc brakes, nothing special because it’s an E bike. Now in all fairness it is extremely light as E bikes go so perhaps there’s something to this but it feels more like marketing.
That is what I was thinking as well.

Looking at Galfer's ratings for their pads there is appears to be no difference between the Advanced pads and e-Bike pads for example.
Old 03-20-24, 11:42 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Some brake companies offer more than just one pad compound. Others dont. I have Koolstops in stock for the ones that dont offer better compounds but the customer needs a better pad for his style of riding.

Ive seen other popular brands suddenly join the fray, but Ive not seen them sold by popular parts companies.

Use your best judgement.

-SP
Old 03-27-24, 09:47 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
I also have the swiss stop ebike pads and they are fine, they do howl a bit on the very first stop of the day, as did the Hawk pads used in the race car.

probably a bit harder / semi metallic compound.

no wear noted on the disk.

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 03-27-24, 06:23 PM
Aushiker

Originally Posted by mpetry912
I also have the swiss stop ebike pads and they are fine, they do howl a bit on the very first stop of the day, as did the Hawk pads used in the race car.

probably a bit harder / semi metallic compound.

no wear noted on the disk.

/markp
Good to know. Thanks Mark.