Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Cycling over the Rocky Mountains

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Cycling over the Rocky Mountains

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-19, 09:37 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 1,058 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
If you play close attention...&etc
There are plans to path Clear Creek Canyon (Hwy6) between Golden and I70, linking the Denver Airport with Loveland Pass by continuous paved path. The four miles completed so far in that canyon section are pretty incredible. Ah, someday.

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
...then the real crown jewel into Glenwood. After that my experience is over.
Further west, the Colorado River Canyon gets so narrow...how narrow does it get?...that busy I70 doesn't even have full width shoulders in stretches. Not my idea of fun riding.

Last edited by tcs; 02-22-19 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-22-19, 09:37 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,514 Times in 2,857 Posts
Originally Posted by fork crown
It still is amazing to me that there are roads where I ony saw 10 people in a day....
Years ago I drove from Tucumcari NM to Las Vegas NM via road 104, (and back).
It's 107 miles, and I think I saw no more than 6 cars each time.
And of course whenever we saw one, we would be waving to each other.
Old 02-22-19, 09:41 AM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani

I have been in touch with Nevada DOT to provide water for cyclists at DOT shops.
These are scattered across Nevada in very remote locations. Ideal for cyclists.
I have gotten all kinds of legalistic reasons why this cannot be done - -
but I am persisting and believe that some accommodations may soon be available.

Pic - Stone Cabin Valley on US 6

This is quite a noble endeavor!!! I wish more cyclist would be able to experience this stretch of land. It is still probably the most memorable section of road I've been on,
When I took the Hwy 50 alt-bypass between Middlegate and Austin (called hwy 2? now) it was half gravel in 1991. Glad I had a water filter. No cars seen all day. Great camping over some moderate mountain. If you like loneliness this is it.
Old 02-22-19, 09:57 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
There are plans to path clear Creek Canyon (Hwy6) between Golden and I70, linking the Denver Airport with Loveland Pass by continuous paved path. The four miles completed so far in that canyon section are pretty incredible. Ah, someday...
Yes, I'll probably be an octogenarian by then. Greater Outdoors Colorado, funded by the state lottery, announced a $2M project on the path for the first couple of miles out of Golden, in 2017 I think. I volunteer with Jeffco Open Space trail crews, and there's some excitement about that. Gov Hickenlooper described it as a "legacy project." To me, that meant it'll take a generation to complete. And those four completed miles are in the easy part.

When that path is finished, it'll cut 1000' of climbing out of the trip to the Divide, going both ways. So many times I've cussed Floyd Hill on the way home. (Who was that guy, anyway?) When I'm 80, I'll probably need that shortcut.
Old 02-22-19, 12:21 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Further west, the Colorado River Canyon gets so narrow...how narrow does it get?...that busy I70 doesn't even have full width shoulders in stretches. Not my idea of fun riding.
Thought this section has a dedicated, separate MUP? Especially between Hanging Lake and Palisade, there's a MUP alongside the river... (I dunno the name, and google is eluding me at the moment)

Oh and a note on Hwy 40 going west from Craig. There's nothing between Craig and Dinosaur. Google shows some town names, but there ain't nuthin there. That's either good or bad, depending on your outlook.

Last edited by superdex; 02-22-19 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-22-19, 04:50 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
While I may be mistaken, I believe you'll have to find an alternate route for the first leg out of Denver. I-70 goes through the Eisenhower tunnel for about 12 miles, and you have a choice of going north through Granby, south through Colorado Springs, or over some gravel passes.

FWIW, the Adventure Cycling Trans America route goes through Canon City and turns north, running under I-70 around Silverthorne.
Yes, you have to go around the Eisenhower Tunnel but that is done on Loveland Pass. The other alternatives aren’t all that appealing. Going through Pueblo/Cañon City/Breckenridge/Kremling is the long way round.

Looks as though you are new around here.

Unless you have a really big reason to cycle through Denver,
You should consider crossing the Rockies west of Fort Collins. (60 miles north of Denver)

East to west - - Use Colorado Hwy 14 to Walden, then US 40 to Utah.
This is a much safer route with less traffic and ample services.

Hwy 14 thru the Poudre Canyon is stunning.
You can bike on a canal service road deep into the wilderness at Cameron Pass if you wish.
Walden is on the TransAm with bike friendly camping at the park.
Steamboat is a upscale ski/summer town that is hip & pricey.
Gets pretty darn empty west of Craig.

Highly suggest jaunt from Jensen, Utah into Dinosaur National Monument - fabulous sheer wall scenery.
Riding up Poudre Canyon really isn’t much better than riding through the I-70 corridor. Fort Collins isn’t much less urbanized the Denver is.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-22-19, 10:20 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by superdex
Thought this section has a dedicated, separate MUP? Especially between Hanging Lake and Palisade, there's a MUP alongside the river... (I dunno the name, and google is eluding me at the moment.)
If you have information on a path between Hwy134 and Chacra, please share.

Maybe one could packraft for that stretch.

Last edited by tcs; 02-23-19 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-22-19, 10:34 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Riding up Poudre Canyon really isn’t much better than riding through the I-70 corridor. Fort Collins isn’t much less urbanized the Denver is.
Fort Collins has a metro population of 200,000 with a paved bike trail from east to west.
Denver has a metro population of 3 million; OK trails from Brighton, but tough from Bennett.

Highway 14 in the Poudre Canyon has a 1200 daily traffic count; 640 near Cameron Pass.
I-70 west of Glenwood - where you have to ride on the interstate - has a count of 26,000.
Old 02-23-19, 09:50 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Fort Collins has a metro population of 200,000 with a paved bike trail from east to west.
Denver has a metro population of 3 million; OK trails from Brighton, but tough from Bennett.

Highway 14 in the Poudre Canyon has a 1200 daily traffic count; 640 near Cameron Pass.
I-70 west of Glenwood - where you have to ride on the interstate - has a count of 26,000.
The Denver Metro area has numerous east-west trails through the area as well as numerous north-south and quite a few other compass points. Even without completely separated trails, riding out to Bennett is a popular ride in the area. Many of us who actually live in the Denver area do ride bikes in town. It’s not all that bad.

The highway counts you quote are misleading as well. Highway 14 is a narrow canyon road where riders are sharing the road with all 1200 of those drivers on a shoulderless road. I-70 may have 26,000 motorists on it but there is also an 11 foot shoulder that they don’t drive on. It’s not like you are riding in the traffic lane.

There is also the advantage of having far more services along the 1-70 corridor than from Fort Collins.

I’ve ridden a number of Interstates across the nation and, while they are a bit noisy, they are at least as safe as riding a narrow canyon road...perhaps safer.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-23-19, 10:07 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by tcs
If you have information on a path between Hwy134 and Chacra, please share.

Maybe one could packraft for that stretch.
While I’ll agree that I-70 west of Glenwood is not ideal, it’s not as bad as people make it out to be either. It’s only 6 miles and that section in your picture is only a very short section of only a couple of hundred yards. The rest of the road is a normal wide interstate shoulder. Honestly, I would probably be looking for a different route north or south before getting to Glenwood Springs because of what comes after Grand Junction. The ride to Grand Junction wouldn’t be a bad one but there’s whole lot of nothin’ from Grand Junction to, well, California.

I would probably divert north from Dillion to Steamboat and points north on the TransAm.

Old 02-23-19, 11:16 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

CC -

I agree with you that riding on the interstate shoulders is pretty safe.
(Although with the growth in texting I am increasingly careful - even on the shoulder.)
Also, one needs to vigilant when riding shoulderless rural highways.
But the experience is profoundly different.

Not to mention that I think we have very different riding/touring styles.
You prefer services and higher quality roads; I prefer empty and am o.k. with a granola bar.
Most folks probably fall somewhere between Denver and Walden.

But that is precisely the issue - people who LIVE in Denver know the routes.
People who don't will often times spend extra hours figuring out how to get thru.
Although I live in Wyoming, I have thousands of miles of riding in Colorado.
I've ridden both Denver and Fort Collins - I find Fort Collins far more manageable.

I've ridden large sections of the I-70 corridor, as well as Highway 14.
I hear you when you say there's a shoulder on I-70 - but not always.
And those "not always" sections are pretty darn scary.
Esp. with traffic zooming by at 75 mph.

Even in western states that permit riding bikes on interstates,
I have found that shoulders sometimes disappear - especially on bridges & overpasses.
For an inexperienced touring cyclist it can be pretty terrifying getting out into a traffic lane.
Not to mention when they are doing road work and combine traffic on one side.
I do not absolutely exclude interstates, but I avoid them if at all possible.

Let me take a moment to offer drawbacks for Highway 14, as well.
It tends to be a weekend outing road for Fort Collins - so weekends can be tough, plus add alcohol.
You are right, it has minimal shoulders - sometimes 2 or 3 feet, sometimes 6 inches. (12 ft. travel lanes)
But on weekdays it may have only 600 vehicles per day - that's practically empty.
You may have ridden it only on weekends when the traffic is triple or more.

When I used to be in grad school in Laramie, we would drive down to Poudre Canyon in April.
To enjoy spring in Colorado which arrives 7 years before it gets to Wyoming.
(Shhh! Don't tell anyone that grad students bike on weekdays on nice spring days.)

Perhaps sunshine, 60-degree weather, and the canyon's beauty affected my thinking.
Old 02-23-19, 11:54 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
if I were doing it, I'd also divert north from I70 in Dillon on Hwy 9 (though the stretch from Kremmling to Steamboat has no cell service) -- Rabbit Ears Pass is beautiful. Then go through Craig and to Dinosaur. From there, west into that part of Utah is gorgeous and you easily wind up in Heber Valley and the SLC.
Old 02-23-19, 01:44 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by cyccommute
There is also the advantage of having far more services along the 1-70 corridor than from Fort Collins.
In the western half of the state the dispensaries seem to average 15 miles apart down I70.

Last edited by tcs; 02-23-19 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-23-19, 07:52 PM
cyccommute 

CC -

I agree with you that riding on the interstate shoulders is pretty safe.
(Although with the growth in texting I am increasingly careful - even on the shoulder.)
Also, one needs to vigilant when riding shoulderless rural highways.
But the experience is profoundly different.
Distracted drivers is an issue on all roads. It’s especially so on narrow mountain roads where the drivers don’t necessarily look around corners. But the riding in Colorado on the shoulders of I-70 is only in very few areas. If you ride the I-70 corridor from Denver to Glenwood, you won’t even be riding on the shoulder for any of that distance. There is now a bike path from Genesee to Idaho Springs and a bike path from Bakersville to the bottom of Loveland Pass. Once you get to Summit County, it’s bike path to Glenwood Springs. Everything else is on frontage roads or bike paths. The only shoulder riding that I can think of is the six mile stretch west of Glenwood.

Not to mention that I think we have very different riding/touring styles.
You prefer services and higher quality roads; I prefer empty and am o.k. with a granola bar.
Most folks probably fall somewhere between Denver and Walden.
The problem with being “o.k. with a granola bar” is getting the granola bar. In the 99 miles from Fort Collins to Walden, there isn’t any place to get a granola bar. Which means having to carry it...along with everything else you might need. There’s nothing wrong with that but it does require planning and foresight.

But that is precisely the issue - people who LIVE in Denver know the routes.
People who don't will often times spend extra hours figuring out how to get thru.
Although I live in Wyoming, I have thousands of miles of riding in Colorado.
I've ridden both Denver and Fort Collins - I find Fort Collins far more manageable.
In the age of Google maps and smart phones, getting across a major city is simple. I’ve ridden around Fort Collins and I don’t find it any more “managable” than Denver when it comes to navigation. And, with all the construction around Ft. Collins, some of those routes don’t match up.

I've ridden large sections of the I-70 corridor, as well as Highway 14.
I hear you when you say there's a shoulder on I-70 - but not always.
And those "not always" sections are pretty darn scary.
Esp. with traffic zooming by at 75 mph.
As I said, the scary bits are few and far between. The “not always” shoulder is about as close to “always” as you can get. I’ve driven all of the Interstates Colorado has to offer at one time or another. And, as a cyclist, I pay attention to shoulders. That little section of I-70 is the only place that the shoulder is that narrow outside of construction zones.

Even in western states that permit riding bikes on interstates,
I have found that shoulders sometimes disappear - especially on bridges & overpasses.
For an inexperienced touring cyclist it can be pretty terrifying getting out into a traffic lane.
Not to mention when they are doing road work and combine traffic on one side.
I do not absolutely exclude interstates, but I avoid them if at all possible.

Let me take a moment to offer drawbacks for Highway 14, as well.
It tends to be a weekend outing road for Fort Collins - so weekends can be tough, plus add alcohol.
You are right, it has minimal shoulders - sometimes 2 or 3 feet, sometimes 6 inches. (12 ft. travel lanes)
But on weekdays it may have only 600 vehicles per day - that's practically empty.
You may have ridden it only on weekends when the traffic is triple or more.

When I used to be in grad school in Laramie, we would drive down to Poudre Canyon in April.
To enjoy spring in Colorado which arrives 7 years before it gets to Wyoming.
(Shhh! Don't tell anyone that grad students bike on weekdays on nice spring days.)

Perhaps sunshine, 60-degree weather, and the canyon's beauty affected my thinking.
I don’t usually ride Interstates as well but I have no problem if there is no other alternative...and, for the west, that is often.

Finally, I assume that people have reasons for where they want to ride. If rdrum729 wants to go through Denver for whatever reason, that’ rdrum729’s choice. I’m not going to suggest a 75 mile detour to the north (Poudre Canyon) or a 100 mile detour to the south (Canon City) just to avoid what is actually a pretty good ride. If someone tries to go over a road that is inappropriate due to terrain, road conditions or weather, I’ll try to dissuade them but if the road is good and the scenery is worth the trip, I’m not going to talk them out of it. The Clear Creek Canyon corridor/Loveland Pass/Summit County/Vail Pass/ Eagle River Valley is a lovely ride. It just happens to have more people.

Old 02-24-19, 08:54 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Nor would I wish to talk someone out of a perfectly good routing option.

But, unless Denver is a fixed point on their route, then Fort Collins is not 60 miles out of their way.
Especially if they are coming from Nebraska - either US 6 or US 30.

And the US 40 option is far better in eastern Utah than US 6 or I-70.
Colo + Utah for both US 40 or I-70 is 800 miles; 6000 feet more climbing for I-70.
US 6 from Green River to Spanish Fork is one of the most dangerous highways in the West.
(Some sections have been improved - but others remain 2-lane, high speeds, heavy traffic.)
I-70 west of Green River is insanely remote - talking about granola bars.
https://www.ksl.com/article/36135505...-roads-in-utah

As I stated initially, I suggested they should "consider" Hwy 14 & US 40.
I think it is a better option all around, YMMV.
Old 02-26-19, 08:08 PM
rdrumm729

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by daoswald
I would reconsider doing I-70 through Utah in the summer unless you're ready to ride through a desert where you will travel about 120 miles with no services whatsoever. Heading West from Green River there's a sign, "Next Services 117 Miles". On the other hand you'll pass near Moab, which is hard to pass up, except it is quite hot in the summer time.

I would prefer a route that goes through Utah along I-80 instead.
good point. still working this through but i plan to be in that area late May, and the temperatures look to be reasonable that time of year. But again I may end up doing a more reasonable route...