Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

First Bike Mod...Race Face Chester Pedals

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 10-19-19, 08:43 PM
jrhoneOC

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 40 Posts

My bike came with the Specialized Dirt Platforms and they seemed ok until they got wet...then they were slick as ice. So i wanted something cheap, light, well made and with hood grip. All the reviews raved about the Chesters by Race Face. They are composite (plastic) but so were the Specialized Dirts. They have rebuild kits and replaceable studs. All the reviews stated they were very durable and long lasting. So for $35 i gave them a shot. Not a bad looking pedal either. I will go for a ride in the morning and if its foggy itll be wet and we can see how much grip I have.

Likes For jrhoneOC:
Old 10-20-19, 06:02 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I have those on my mountain bike. I like them better than any platform pedal I've ever used.
Old 10-20-19, 06:06 AM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
I have them on my 3 year of my mountain/gravel bikes. Great pedal and color selection. I also like the similar CB Stomp.
Old 10-20-19, 07:54 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Platform pedals scare the crap out of me.
Old 10-20-19, 12:03 PM
jrhoneOC

Did 20 miles on the Chesters this morning. Great grip. Too much at first, it took a bit to get used to the grip, but after a few miles they felt perfect. Forgot about the pedals and the grip (or lack of it) and concentrated on the ride. Great $35 spent.
Likes For jrhoneOC:
Old 10-21-19, 08:39 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by pickettt
Platform pedals scare the crap out of me.
I use them but always wear shin guards. I know way too guys with 6 inch scars straight down their shins. Two year ago a buddy of mine needed 80 stitches to close up his shin, but his cut was closer to 10 inches. If you chose not to wear guards, back down the pins a tad bit
Old 10-21-19, 09:46 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat
I use them but always wear shin guards. I know way too guys with 6 inch scars straight down their shins. Two year ago a buddy of mine needed 80 stitches to close up his shin, but his cut was closer to 10 inches. If you chose not to wear guards, back down the pins a tad bit
That was me as a kid riding BMX. My shins stayed eaten up. Now I even have clipless on my BMX cruiser.
Old 10-21-19, 02:12 PM
jrhoneOC

Originally Posted by qclabrat
I will look into some shin guards. I havent had any shin strikes but it just takes one to ruin your day lol.
Old 10-22-19, 07:00 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Have 3 sets. All good. I did reduce the pin length just a bit though. 2 mm? set screw does it.