Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Track Bike Size Vs Road Bike Size

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-19, 07:24 PM
Runner13.1

Bikes: Cinelli Zydeco, Cervelo P3, Specialized Allez Sprint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Sorry that I am creating another bike sizing question, but I am not that familiar with track bikes and their geometry/fit.
I have read that you should go down 2cm from road bikes to track bikes as a rule of thumb. Is that typically correct?

I ride 55-56 in Road bikes. I ride 54 in Triathlon bikes. 5'-11 height, 30" inseam.
Should I therefore ride a 54?

I know I should study the geometry charts, but it is never that easy. Plus no shops around me sell them. I will have to buy it online. No chance to tryout out.

Any opinions would be helpful.
Old 11-15-19, 08:09 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,645 Posts
What's your application? If you are riding it on the road, I would try to replicate the geometry of your road bike as much as possible. If you are racing it, then I would agree with your sizing "rule of thumb", esp. in regards to head tube (HT) length, and also look for steeper HT and ST angles.

Last edited by TMonk; 11-15-19 at 01:47 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-15-19, 09:29 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Runner13.1
I have read that you should go down 2cm from road bikes to track bikes as a rule of thumb. Is that typically correct?
No. This is old-fashioned and debunked convention. If you plan on racing track, there's a strong argument for choosing a longer top tube than you would on a road bike. IMO a good rule of thumb to start is approximately the same top tube or reach as your road bike.
Old 11-15-19, 11:18 AM
Runner13.1

Bikes: Cinelli Zydeco, Cervelo P3, Specialized Allez Sprint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you both.
I’ll start with my road bike’s geometry and go from there.
Old 11-18-19, 09:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
Best trick to figuring this all out, go see a qualified fitter who does dynamic fitting like Retül! Instead of guessing and fudging around get truly comfortable on all your bikes and let them do some actual testing to see what size would work best.
Old 11-21-19, 10:14 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Unless you plan on getting something custom made, I would stick with what you know about your hight and inseem relative to road bikes. I’ve found that having a good LBS connection allows multiple short tester rides to get the right fit for a particular brand.

Specialized, Trek and every other bike manufacturer thinks they know what “54 cm” is... but you’ll never know the brands/bikes fit until you give it a serious ride.