Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Removing a freehub body from a hub that is not spoked up onto a bike, possible?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Removing a freehub body from a hub that is not spoked up onto a bike, possible?

Old 11-16-19, 09:32 PM
reconnaissance

Bikes: Trek 850, Trek 510, Cannondale 300m, Specialized Rockhopper, Stumpjumper, Bianchi Virata

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 38 Posts
I have this exact problem on a hub my son removed the rim from (for some reason not explained). Having explored all options I’m going to lace it back up and twist the freewheel loose the way it went together. I believe any other procedure will result in scrap metal.
Old 11-17-19, 08:08 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by jambon
Thanks for the ideas above , just to be clear ; the how to of removing this particular freehub is not the problem. The issue is that the hub is not spoked up to a wheel and so it is very difficult to find a way to hold the hub still while applying the force on the wrench(possibly with an extension bar). There is no recess on the opposite side for a hex wrench to work as a counter force.
Get a long piece of steel or board. Get two bolts and nuts that'll fit through the spoke holes in the hub drill two holes for the bolts in the metal or board. Bolt the hub to the metal or board. That should give you the resistance needed to remove the freehub.

Cheers
Old 11-17-19, 08:46 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked 1,219 Times in 643 Posts
Get two bolts and nuts that'll fit through the spoke holes in the hub drill two holes for the bolts
Those would be pretty small bolts ! My concern with this technique would be that you're concentrating a lot of force on 2-3 spoke holes.

Other than re-spoking the hub into a wheel, I think the only hope is to clamp the center section of the hub between wood blocks and use an impact wrench to get peak torque into the freehub bolt. The hub body will slip, of course.

Whether that technique would work with a freewheel on a hub is a topic for experimentation.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Old 11-17-19, 09:11 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
What are the chances you're ever going to want to lace up that hub body? One way to look at it is that you bought it for parts, so take the parts off and scrap the body. I'd use my 14" pipe wrench on the flange and throw the result into the recycle bin, maybe get a few cents for the aluminum.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 11-17-19, 09:46 AM
jambon

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Not necessary! IF it's clamped decently, it doesn't take that much force. (China built)

This is all pretty moot, since there are few parts that are interchangeable to this VERY LOW COST hub.
I built a couple wheels using this hub because of price.
They all eat the poorly finished DS cone.
The freehub is the exact same model as the freewheel on the bike that has the issue . The part is interchangeable.
Old 11-17-19, 11:52 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Pipe wrench and a rag.
I've done it and it wasn't difficult. I might have kneeled on it.
I had to use the long end of the Allen key in the bolt and a wrench on the short end.
Old 11-17-19, 02:18 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by reconnaissance
I have this exact problem on a hub my son removed the rim from (for some reason not explained). Having explored all options I’m going to lace it back up and twist the freewheel loose the way it went together. I believe any other procedure will result in scrap metal.
It takes significant torque to get a vintage freewheel off. I'd be worried about how the torque transmitted from the freewheel body through the drive side of the hub affects the center portion of the hub. I'd want some reinforcement of the hub (like some hardwood pieces bolted together. Or is the hub strong enough to handle this?
Old 11-17-19, 02:53 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,230 Times in 851 Posts
Originally Posted by jambon
The freehub is the exact same model as the freewheel on the bike that has the issue . The part is interchangeable.
Then you really aren't worried about the "shell".

The good news is both cones are the same, so you have 2 spares.

On that specific hub, you'll want to service the bearing more frequently than "normal". As I mentioned in an earlier post, that hub tends to eat DS cones.
Examine that cone for pitting. It starts small....
Old 11-17-19, 07:12 PM
reconnaissance

Bikes: Trek 850, Trek 510, Cannondale 300m, Specialized Rockhopper, Stumpjumper, Bianchi Virata

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 38 Posts
You don’t need those old crusty Campy hubs. Send them to me and I’ll take care of them.
Old 11-18-19, 05:02 PM
jambon

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well I have managed to remove the freehub body without going to the trouble of lacing it up or damaging the hub.

I laced some thick gauge garden wire through the spoke holes to give a pliers something to grip.

I stood on the pliers with my foot and levered the freehub body off with the hex wrench extended with a box cutter and seatpost.

Thanks for the ideas , got there in the end!

Last edited by jambon; 11-18-19 at 05:07 PM.
Likes For jambon:
Old 11-18-19, 05:41 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
I had to this to save a a Campagnolo Record hub. This is the method that worked for me:

Definitely secure freewheel tool to the axle with either the skewer or axle nut!
Likes For elcraft:
Old 11-19-19, 01:31 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Nicely done, @jambon. As you've shown, you just need spokes -- or something that acts like them -- to secure the hub while you apply torque.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-19-19, 04:56 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
There is a lot of wisdom involved in determining what to save and what to throw away.

Realistically what you have is a low value hub which you are going to convert into a no value hub by removing the free hub body. If you futz with bikes very much, boogered wheels are a dime a dozen so you can always find another hub to salvage.

If it was my hub, I'd clamp the flanges in my bench vise real tight. If it slipped when I cranked on the free hub bolt, I'd flatten one side with a file or bench grinder and clamp the flat in my vise.