Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Disc Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-20, 02:14 PM
Nelmarti217

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Trike (Power)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Disc Brakes

I have a Schwinn Meridian 26 inch adult trike that I converted to electric last year. I want to now convert my front wheel brakes to disc. The geard hub motor installed has the standard 6 holes to accommodate a disc, however, my concern is whether the caliper will fit in the factory fork. If it is possible to install, then what size disc is recommended. I am 220 Lbs. + groceries in basket. I am elderly and never go out at night or when it rains. Whatever advice will be appreciated.
Thank you.
Old 01-04-20, 02:51 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
I would advise against mounting a disk brake on a fork that was not designed for disk brakes. Check your fork to see if it already has a disk brake mount on one of the fork blades (some forks come with mounting options for both cantilever/V-brakes and disk brakes). If it does have the mount, it should be easy to convert. If it doesn't have the mount, you could replace the fork with one that does have a disk brake mount. A bit more work, but should be possible.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 01-04-20, 02:52 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Does your fork have caliper mounting hardware?
Old 01-04-20, 04:04 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Pics of Schwinn Meridians I can find on the Internet do NOT indicate disc brake mounts on the fork, so you'll need a new fork. You'll probably need a bike shop to help find you the right parts. Regarding disc size, a 160mm rotor would provide plenty of braking. Be sure to get a 'mountain' disc caliper to match your your long-pull brake levers.
Old 01-04-20, 04:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,981 Times in 2,661 Posts
Be very careful those trikes are SUPER easy to get on two wheels which is not good. You will unlikely be able to add brakes with enough stopping power on the current setup but it is possible your local shop can find you a disc brake compatible fork that might work and then you could mount a Magura MT4e (or 5e) However your rear brakes will not be able to change so keep that in mind that stopping is not going to be very good aside from at the front and the bike is not stable and not designed to be an e-bike.
Old 01-04-20, 06:21 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Nelmarti217
I have a Schwinn Meridian 26 inch adult trike that I converted to electric last year. I want to now convert my front wheel brakes to disc. The geard hub motor installed has the standard 6 holes to accommodate a disc, however, my concern is whether the caliper will fit in the factory fork. If it is possible to install, then what size disc is recommended. I am 220 Lbs. + groceries in basket. I am elderly and never go out at night or when it rains. Whatever advice will be appreciated.
Thank you.
As far as I can see from looking at pictures of your tricycle your fork has no provision for mounting a disc brake calliper, so unless you wish to spend a lot of money on a new fork, your options are limited. One fairly inexpensive option is to purchase a much better quality front Vbrake calliper along with a better quality brake lever and cable. This could vastly improve your braking at a reasonable expense.

Last edited by alcjphil; 01-06-20 at 12:10 PM.