Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bertoni MAX pickup

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bertoni MAX pickup

Old 01-06-20, 09:36 PM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Serotta Speciale, Raliegh Beater, Fuso

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Bertoni MAX pickup

Picked up this Bertoni MAX today. Lower models show up on CL here fairly regularly, but I always check the ads to see if it's a MAX frame. This morning this one popped up at a good price. Complete mash up of parts, some good - some not so much. Paint isn't bad, most of the chips are in the black, so should be easy enough to spot fill. Really nice seller, had the bike a few years but mostly rode his mountain bike. After I got home I noticed, that the Syncros stem was extended so far that the quill wedge was visible at the headset - it's good thing he stuck mostly to the mountain bike, because the failure could have been catastrophic.
I've looked around for a catalog scan with zero success. Anyone know what year these were produced, and how they came spec'ed?

Last edited by velomateo; 01-06-20 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-06-20, 09:53 PM
mhespenheide

Bikes: Felt F1PR, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn Paramount PDG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I can't help with the Bertoni, but I've heard anecdotes of the Syncros stems breaking while riding. If it were me, I'd probably replace it.
Old 01-06-20, 09:58 PM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Serotta Speciale, Raliegh Beater, Fuso

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
I can't help with the Bertoni, but I've heard anecdotes of the Syncros stems breaking while riding. If it were me, I'd probably replace it.
It's destine for a recycle bin near me
Old 01-06-20, 10:20 PM
shuru421

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting..I have never come across a BERTONI MAX. Looks like a normal Columbus Max frameset. Is the history that important to you? I think a good tear-down, getting a nice full-set group together and enjoying the sh*t out of it is a good starting point. Im a manic for Columbus Max frames, if you find anymore, let us know! It should be a fantastic ride.
Old 01-07-20, 12:06 AM
velomateo

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shuru421 View Post
Interesting..I have never come across a BERTONI MAX. Looks like a normal Columbus Max frameset. Is the history that important to you? I think a good tear-down, getting a nice full-set group together and enjoying the sh*t out of it is a good starting point. Im a manic for Columbus Max frames, if you find anymore, let us know! It should be a fantastic ride.
Not hugely important, just curious. Still considering which direction I want to go with it. I have a complete Super Record group I could use, but I might want to build on the C Record crank it came with. I think I have an old C Record rear derailleur and shift lever set, and I also have a clean set of Cobaltos. Would only need to source a few things. Decisions decisions
I’ll get it torn down and do some paint touch up for now.
Old 01-07-20, 06:48 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 87 Guerciotti, 90s Colnago Master, 96 Serotta Colorado TI, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 08 Lemond Filmore, 12 Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Id replace the stem and see how well the frame fits you before doing too much more upgrading. Being a high quality metal lover you should be pleased with the Columbus MAX, which was released in the late 1980s. It was lightened by avoiding the internal helicoidal reinforcements of other Columbus tubing and used Nivacrom Steel. The main tubes often had an elliptical sections at their ends, and the he top tubes and down tubes were oversized.
Old 01-07-20, 07:57 AM
Ex Pres 

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
I've not seen a catalog past '87, but the Max would be later. My Bertoni had a serial (2 part) with decipherable date build info - any SN's on yours?
Old 01-07-20, 08:53 AM
velomateo

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres View Post
I've not seen a catalog past '87, but the Max would be later. My Bertoni had a serial (2 part) with decipherable date build info - any SN's on yours?
I did a quick look, but only saw a size stamp (54). It’s black and really dirty around the bottom bracket - so one may appear after cleaning.
I found the same ‘87 catalog scan. According to Wikipedia, the company closed up shop in the early 90’s, which is when MAX frames were being sold by Merckx and others - so I would guess these were some of the companies last offerings.
Sized as a 54, it measures 54 ctc at the seat tube and 55 on the top tube. Should work fine for me.

Last edited by velomateo; 01-07-20 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-07-20, 10:12 AM
velomateo

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
More searches on the interwebs led me to the Columbus MAX FB page. Lots of cool stuff there. According to a post there, the MAX tubeset was offered by Columbus in 1984 ...who knew? I always had believed it was a 90's thing.
Old 01-07-20, 10:12 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 123 Posts
Cool find.
Old 01-07-20, 10:17 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
+1, really cool and rare, too. I wonder which contractor was building this exotica for Bertoni back then: doubt it was Bianchi or Torresini/Torpado...anybody know?
Old 01-07-20, 10:44 AM
velomateo

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1 View Post
+1, really cool and rare, too. I wonder which contractor was building this exotica for Bertoni back then: doubt it was Bianchi or Torresini/Torpado...anybody know?
Daccordi was supposedly building these for Bertoni. Daccordi's MAX frame was lugged, but I've found pics of both frames (Daccordi and Bertoni) with the identical pink/blue/white paint job.
Old 01-07-20, 11:27 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Nice. I also read somewhere that Bianchi made these but I have no clue if that is correct.

I almost picked this one up in St. Louis a few years ago and I remember poring over Bianchi MAX photos and they did look very similar....

Old 01-07-20, 12:59 PM
velomateo

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz View Post
Nice. I also read somewhere that Bianchi made these but I have no clue if that is correct.

I almost picked this one up in St. Louis a few years ago and I remember poring over Bianchi MAX photos and they did look very similar....

That’s the paint job I was referring to. I guess the confusion with the Bianchi connection comes from Lawee’s earlier affiliation with them. I read yesterday that it was Daccordi, can’t remember which site I saw it on though, maybe CR.

Too similar to deny a connection IMO.

Last edited by velomateo; 01-07-20 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-07-20, 03:30 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
Daccordi sounds like a good clue/guess. I believed the Bianchi/Bertoni connection "rumor" in the past (why not?) but read some more recent opinions that de-bunked it...still the jury's out cause Ben Lawee won't be talking (RIP, Ben).