Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Maintaining a Silca Pista Floor Pump?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Maintaining a Silca Pista Floor Pump?

Old 10-15-18, 01:54 PM
  #26  
himespau 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,207
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by son_of_clyde View Post
If anyone is looking for replacement hose, McMaster-Carr # 5304K42 is an excellent choice.
Thank you for this. I wasn't sure how shipping would work as McMaster-Carr never shows you this until it's shipped, so I ended up ordering a box of 25 feet and a pack of 50 of the clamps (with shipping it came to ~$33). I figure that if I do 5 foot lengths, I can get five new hose setups for less than the price of 2 new, much shorter, silca hoses. I redid my two silca pumps last night and the hose and clamps look just like those silca sells except McMaster-Carr's says Thermal Value-flex on it rather than the Continental branding on Silca's. I think the Valuflex is rated to 50 extra psi (not that it matters, both are higher than my tires/tubes require) and I've already appreciated the extra length while pumping up tires that were on a bike that's on the stand and also while pumping up an exercise ball.
himespau is offline  
Old 10-16-18, 08:38 PM
  #27  
son_of_clyde
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau View Post
Thank you for this. I wasn't sure how shipping would work as McMaster-Carr never shows you this until it's shipped, so I ended up ordering a box of 25 feet and a pack of 50 of the clamps (with shipping it came to ~$33). I figure that if I do 5 foot lengths, I can get five new hose setups for less than the price of 2 new, much shorter, silca hoses. I redid my two silca pumps last night and the hose and clamps look just like those silca sells except McMaster-Carr's says Thermal Value-flex on it rather than the Continental branding on Silca's. I think the Valuflex is rated to 50 extra psi (not that it matters, both are higher than my tires/tubes require) and I've already appreciated the extra length while pumping up tires that were on a bike that's on the stand and also while pumping up an exercise ball.
I'm glad the hose worked for you. Yeah, the lack of shipping info is kind of annoying. I replaced the gauge on my pump with M-C # 9804T61. It's a little smaller than the original, but it was the only one I could find with the proper thread (1/8" BSPT).
son_of_clyde is offline  
Old 10-17-18, 06:51 AM
  #28  
himespau 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,207
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by son_of_clyde View Post
I'm glad the hose worked for you. Yeah, the lack of shipping info is kind of annoying. I replaced the gauge on my pump with M-C # 9804T61. It's a little smaller than the original, but it was the only one I could find with the proper thread (1/8" BSPT).
I've dealt with a couple of companies that don't list shipping (I think Soma is another or at least used to be), and it's something I just have to remember to factor in.

For the gauge, I just bought a new one from Silca. I got one of the script ones that looks older. It doesn't look as precise as the more mechanical looking gauge, but it has the same number of ticks and I figure pump gauges are all going to be +/- ~5% or so anyway. That gets me in the ballpark. I do wish it had a setable target pressure indicator, but that's not the end of the world. I recently saw a Bontrager pump that has the gauge up high where the piston enters the barrel, and I think that's a great idea if if doesn't make the pump topheavy.
himespau is offline  
Old 01-07-20, 05:59 PM
  #29  
drfxit
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out 3/16 ID Welding Gas Hose

Originally Posted by himespau View Post
Thank you, measuring inner and outer diameter and then hunting down properly rated hose was going to be one of my projects today.
I recently spent quite a bit of time tracking down appropriate replacement hose for a Silca pump. The “official” replacement hose has 3/16 ID and 7/16 OD and a working pressure of 200+ PSI and costs around $20 from Amazon. McMaster Carr currently has part #7915A21 which is a welding gas hose for oxygen. You can get 10 feet from McMaster for $10 + shipping and fix up three pumps. You may also be able to buy a 3 foot piece from your local welding supply house for about $2 per foot.
drfxit is offline  
Old 01-07-20, 06:37 PM
  #30  
drfxit
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk View Post
Any gas line hose will work and it is available by the foot at any car repair supply shop like Auto Zone or Car Quest. Smiles, MH
Most gas line is larger than 3/16 ID and doesn’t have a working pressure rating over 50 PSI. Might work for some applications, but the welding gas hose is much closer to OEM spec for a Silca. Caio!
drfxit is offline  
Old 01-07-20, 07:02 PM
  #31  
himespau 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,207
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 120 Posts
That McMaster Carr #5304K42 suggested above did me quite nicely, I have no problem getting up to 120 psi (it's rated to 250). The 25 feet I got has enough to do my 3 pumps with 5 feet each and still have enough to 2 all over again if they crack or whatever. So far, the tubing has held up well and worked just as I wanted it to and I much prefer the longer lengths. When I wanted to change chucks, I just chopped off the last inch or two with the old chuck and replaced it without worrying about it. 3 feet is just a bit short and 5' works a lot better for me.

Last edited by himespau; 01-07-20 at 08:51 PM.
himespau is offline  
Old 01-07-20, 08:51 PM
  #32  
Ballenxj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 809

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 43 Posts
I have a Silca floor pump, I think Track Pump is the model? I've had mine for somewhere around forty years as well, and it still seems to work. I will have to check it again, as I left it outside, and rain has made the shaft rust. I'm going to take it apart for inspection one of these days.
Ballenxj is offline  
Old 01-07-20, 10:48 PM
  #33  
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters
 
mechanicmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Signal Mountain, TN
Posts: 749

Bikes: '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '07 Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 52 Posts
This is probably frowned upon in this establishment but I just replaced the hose and head with this.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Twinh...92505077&psc=1

I prefer a locking head.

That said I did rebuild the rest of my pump with official Silva parts and lube.
mechanicmatt is offline  
Old 01-08-20, 08:43 AM
  #34  
himespau 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,207
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 120 Posts
On my superpista (from the 80's not the super expensive modern one), I took the abs chuck from an old Lezyne pump that I'd upgraded a while back and screwed a silca hiro chuck onto the schrader end of that. It looks clunky as all get out, but I can use the abs chuck for schrader (or screw it onto presta if I really want to) and use the bleeder valve on it for all pumps. Then I can use the hiro chuck for the fast on but still locking for presta valves. I like the metal exterior with the replaceable rubber gasket in the hiro. But yeah, I wish it wasn't $65 for a chuck that doesn't even come with a way to insert it into the hose (that's an extra $10 from silca if you don't already have a solution - but I really like the bleeder valve in my solution).
himespau is offline  
Old 01-08-20, 09:42 AM
  #35  
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,999
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 169 Posts
I took mine apart and handed the parts to the recycler. The barrel that was threaded into the base blew out. The base threads had pulled clear.
repechage is offline  
Old 01-08-20, 10:29 AM
  #36  
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters
 
mechanicmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Signal Mountain, TN
Posts: 749

Bikes: '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '07 Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage View Post
I took mine apart and handed the parts to the recycler. The barrel that was threaded into the base blew out. The base threads had pulled clear.
Did it have the cast iron base? That would have still been handy for some people. My barrel all the way at the bottom has come sharp edged issues. I had file it out or steel wool it or something, can't remember now how I fixed it. Had to use a new leather washer.

That said I used to have a cast iron based one years ago and lost in the 2005 Leadville 100 while I was being support crew for a bunch of doctors. I bought a new used one, but it has a plastic base which I do not like. I have it working perfectly, but it does take a million pumps to get up to pressure. I kind of like a Blackburn pump I've rebuilt more. It seems to pump everything up a little faster.
mechanicmatt is offline  
Old 01-08-20, 11:18 AM
  #37  
Jmpierce
Senior Member
 
Jmpierce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: The Lou
Posts: 117

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 79 Panasonic Track, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 3 Nashbars, Marin Palisades Trail, an Italian Steel MTB and a Sears Spaceliner. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts

I bought mine in the late 80's if I remember right. Its my one and only and I use it about once a week. I'm probably going to jinx myself here but I've never serviced it. The only thing I'm not sure if it works properly is the gauge.
Jmpierce is online now  
Old 01-08-20, 11:55 AM
  #38  
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters
 
mechanicmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Signal Mountain, TN
Posts: 749

Bikes: '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '07 Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmpierce View Post

I bought mine in the late 80's if I remember right. Its my one and only and I use it about once a week. I'm probably going to jinx myself here but I've never serviced it. The only thing I'm not sure if it works properly is the gauge.
I've serviced a lot of these actually. The base there will have a o-ring between the casting and the cylinder that can age poorly, and then there is a leather plunge washer that can age out. That's about it. It will need an oiling or waxing inside the cylinder or a replacement tube at times but otherwise it's a fairly simple repair. I'm sure your gauge is fine but if not the Silva website has all the repair parts including gauges available. It's a brilliant design and does let you dial in on psi wanted.

I just don't like the brass chuck any more. My hands from arthritis can struggle with the attachment to the presta valve.
mechanicmatt is offline  
Old 01-08-20, 12:55 PM
  #39  
Jmpierce
Senior Member
 
Jmpierce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: The Lou
Posts: 117

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 79 Panasonic Track, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 3 Nashbars, Marin Palisades Trail, an Italian Steel MTB and a Sears Spaceliner. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt View Post
I've serviced a lot of these actually. The base there will have a o-ring between the casting and the cylinder that can age poorly, and then there is a leather plunge washer that can age out. That's about it. It will need an oiling or waxing inside the cylinder or a replacement tube at times but otherwise it's a fairly simple repair. I'm sure your gauge is fine but if not the Silva website has all the repair parts including gauges available. It's a brilliant design and does let you dial in on psi wanted.

I just don't like the brass chuck any more. My hands from arthritis can struggle with the attachment to the presta valve.
I hear you about the arthritis! I've been able to use it still even with my arthritis. I'm not sure if the gauge is bad or not. A friend suggested that I should be careful when filling tires because he said he thought it wasn't accurate. I have a high pressure gauge and should try to "calibrate" it but it seems to be working.



I also have a Silca CO2 head. I've also had this for years but I haven't used it a lot.
Jmpierce is online now  
Old 01-12-20, 07:03 PM
  #40  
drfxit
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree on McMaster Carr #5304K42 versus welding gas hose

Originally Posted by himespau View Post
That McMaster Carr #5304K42 suggested above did me quite nicely, I have no problem getting up to 120 psi (it's rated to 250). The 25 feet I got has enough to do my 3 pumps with 5 feet each and still have enough to 2 all over again if they crack or whatever. So far, the tubing has held up well and worked just as I wanted it to and I much prefer the longer lengths. When I wanted to change chucks, I just chopped off the last inch or two with the old chuck and replaced it without worrying about it. 3 feet is just a bit short and 5' works a lot better for me.
I didn’t see the McMaster Carr #5304K42 in the online catalog the first time I looked for it - it wasn’t listed in size order with other similar hose. I took another look based on the more recent post and located it. The specs and price would make it a bit better choice than welding gas hose. The welding hose I bought is working fine for me, but next time I’d go with the #5204K42!!
drfxit is offline  
Old 01-12-20, 07:13 PM
  #41  
Salamandrine 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,368

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1919 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 121 Posts
Probably pointless trivia in the year 2020, but the plungers on the old Silca track pumps were typically lubricated with Campagnolo grease in every bike shop I worked in. The rubber gaskets in the head had to be replaced occasionally (but not often) with shop use. These pumps were considered the best for good reason. Standard bike shop equipment.

FWIW I prefer my current generation pump, an SKS Kompressor with a Kuwahara Hirame pump head. The pump is about the same, but the head is easier and faster to use.
Salamandrine is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
peterraymond
Road Cycling
16
08-31-18 06:48 PM
1989Pre
General Cycling Discussion
7
10-09-16 05:53 PM
TiHabanero
Classic & Vintage
6
06-07-15 01:38 PM
rdtindsm
Bicycle Mechanics
8
02-06-13 01:22 PM
Ratzinger
Bicycle Mechanics
5
08-19-11 01:40 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.