Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Zwift questions and impressions

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Zwift questions and impressions

Old 12-20-19, 01:51 PM
  #226  
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist
 
Dan333SP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: RVA
Posts: 9,186

Bikes: 2013 Madone 3.1

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5598 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat View Post
The gifted programs are not confined to the individual districts. They are above and beyond that. You get the best education opportunity your tax dollars are paying for. Here are the links:

https://henricoschools.us/gifted/
https://mychesterfieldschools.com/cu...ted-education/

I was in Short Pump last Saturday for the better half's family's Christmas lunch. We ate at Firebirds then tooled around the shopping center. You know it's an upscale shopping center when they have a Peloton store! I should have walked in and asked them about Zwifting on a Peloton. The wife and her cousin went to the Circuit Arcade Bar the night before. They gave it high reviews.
Funny, we had a happy hour there with my company's management team the night before your wife was there. I like the self-serve beer taps, but I can't say I'm super nostalgic for the arcade games. I did enjoy some skeeball though.
Dan333SP is online now  
Old 12-20-19, 04:17 PM
  #227  
seypat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,702
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval View Post
Now that's an interesting tangent!

Identifying kindergartners as gifted is a real stretch. In all likelihood, all that's being identified is how much education they've already received at home, or how much their parent knows about the system and can "game" it accordingly. "Parent recommendation"? Come on. This is pretty silly and the cause of serious equity concerns due to hos disproportionate minority participation is.
In Chesterfield, they don't administer the tests and identify the kids till 2nd grade. I don't know about Henrico. You can get the specifics through the links. They enter the program starting in the 3rd grade year. They take the test each year after that and can enter the program up until the 8th grade year. After they have the choice of applying for one of the Specialty Centers within the high schools. My oldest got tested in kindergarten because he was frustrating the teacher. He would sit in class bored and stare out the window until he had a few minutes left in class. Then he would do his work, turn it in and start staring back out the window. The school recommended he go directly to 2nd grade. His birthday's at the end of June. Doing that would have put him in with kids that could be as much as almost 2 years older. The program was a godsend for him. Most of the kids in the program are the same way early on. Bored and socially withdrawn because they are on a different level and don't fit in. Putting them together in a different, challenging environment does wonders for them.
seypat is offline  
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-07-20, 01:38 PM
  #228  
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist
 
Dan333SP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: RVA
Posts: 9,186

Bikes: 2013 Madone 3.1

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5598 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 55 Posts
Discovered a whole new avenue of nerdery for Zwift use today-

www.zwiftpower.com

Pretty intense system they've created to virtually rank people, which I'm sure will be shredded by the anti-Zwift purists, but it's IMO an interesting way to dissect your data.
Dan333SP is online now  
Old 01-07-20, 02:01 PM
  #229  
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,217
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1770 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 123 Posts
Well, that tells me that, in my current level of conditioning, I don't currently produce the W/kg to compete on C level races, but I already knew that.
himespau is offline  
Old 01-07-20, 07:04 PM
  #230  
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 20,751

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP View Post
Discovered a whole new avenue of nerdery for Zwift use today-

www.zwiftpower.com

Pretty intense system they've created to virtually rank people, which I'm sure will be shredded by the anti-Zwift purists, but it's IMO an interesting way to dissect your data.
I've seen people refer to it a lot for racing. I'm sure it's very bike nerd-erific. Any sort of intense analysis is fun to look at. Considering it's analysis of online riding for the purposes of comparing online riding then it is what it is. Not like it determines call-ups for real life crits or anything.
__________________
PSIMET Wheels, PSIMET Racing, PSIMET Neutral Race Support, and 11 Jackson Coffee
Podcast - YouTube Channel
Video about PSIMET Wheels

Psimet2001 is offline  
Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 01-08-20, 07:17 PM
  #231  
pallen
Descends like a rock
 
pallen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 4,029

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My impression of Zwift so far...
Normally, this time of year, I'd be not biking as much, losing fitness and getting fatter. I got a trainer back in November and I'm spending more time sweating and keeping my fitness up. I don't give a crap about racing, but its fun to get frisky every now and then in a virtual world (or real world) to spice things up. This is far from a perfect simulator - no braking, turning, wind, but its a tool that's keeping me engaged so I keep working when the weather is bad. I've had two other trainers in the past that collected dust because I couldn't stay on them. If people want to make virtual racing a thing, I don't really care one way or the other. It doesn't really interest me and has no effect on me whatsoever, but if that's what interests you - have fun.

Personally, I would rather skip the racing aspect and have a game where you're chasing a spy through the park and you have handlebar mounted buttons that activate weapons. If we're going to have a game, lets really make it a game. Maybe we could be running from dinosaurs in Jurassic Park world trying to make it to the helicopter before we get caught. Seems like there's a lot of ways to make working out fun with this...
pallen is offline  
Likes For pallen:
Old 01-08-20, 08:36 PM
  #232  
atwl77
Kamen Rider
 
atwl77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: KL, MY
Posts: 658

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by pallen View Post
Personally, I would rather skip the racing aspect and have a game where you're chasing a spy through the park and you have handlebar mounted buttons that activate weapons. If we're going to have a game, lets really make it a game. Maybe we could be running from dinosaurs in Jurassic Park world trying to make it to the helicopter before we get caught. Seems like there's a lot of ways to make working out fun with this...
You remind me of the sabretooth tiger race from an old PC game, Caveman Ughlympics. Would make for an interesting Zwift-style race - a sabertooth tiger (or alien xenomorph, or velociraptor, 4x4 truck, whatever, updated to modern times) is let loose a set time after the riders are released from the starting pen. Keep pedaling hard to stay ahead of the peloton. Use anti-power ups on the rider in front of you to your advantage - lead brick (opposite of feather) to reduce w/kg, umbrella (opposite of van) to eliminate draft effect, etc. Last to survive is crowned the winner.
atwl77 is offline  
Likes For atwl77:
Old 01-08-20, 09:07 PM
  #233  
pallen
Descends like a rock
 
pallen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 4,029

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oh yeah, or Mario Kart on bikes...
pallen is offline  
Old 01-09-20, 07:53 AM
  #234  
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist
 
Dan333SP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: RVA
Posts: 9,186

Bikes: 2013 Madone 3.1

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5598 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 55 Posts
I did read on another forum that they hired a bunch of new UI designers for the development team at Zwift, so the entire UI should be getting a big update at some point which is much needed. There are things that just don't make sense, like being unable to edit your route selection once you've started a ride, being unable to change equipment choices unless you're in a ride, etc.
Dan333SP is online now  
Old 01-09-20, 10:00 AM
  #235  
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,217
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1770 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 123 Posts
I would hope they update the companion app. I've had lots of issues with it lagging 10+ minutes behind what's actually happening (both in terms of being able to use boosts and make turns/stop the ride, and just in the display of time, distance and effort), and sometimes I'll log in to the companion app (after making sure computer and tablet are on same network) and it won't realize that I'm on a ride for it to control for the full time I'm riding. Times like these, I want to find a way to mount my keyboard to my handlebars so I can just do away with the companion app.
himespau is offline  
Old 01-09-20, 02:39 PM
  #236  
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist
 
Dan333SP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: RVA
Posts: 9,186

Bikes: 2013 Madone 3.1

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5598 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau View Post
I would hope they update the companion app. I've had lots of issues with it lagging 10+ minutes behind what's actually happening (both in terms of being able to use boosts and make turns/stop the ride, and just in the display of time, distance and effort), and sometimes I'll log in to the companion app (after making sure computer and tablet are on same network) and it won't realize that I'm on a ride for it to control for the full time I'm riding. Times like these, I want to find a way to mount my keyboard to my handlebars so I can just do away with the companion app.
Same. I've noticed weird behavior with joining events through the companion app where you'll click the + button to join a particular event, but then the join event countdown won't appear on the screen and you'll miss the start. For the amount of subscription revenue they must be generating, it's surprising they haven't addressed some of these issues already.
Dan333SP is online now  
Old 01-09-20, 02:42 PM
  #237  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 30,509

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 429 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10359 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP View Post
I did read on another forum that they hired a bunch of new UI designers for the development team at Zwift, so the entire UI should be getting a big update at some point which is much needed. There are things that just don't make sense, like being unable to edit your route selection once you've started a ride, being unable to change equipment choices unless you're in a ride, etc.
I really hope it's true. Their UI really sucks, once you know its quirks it's ok but for a new user it's not at all intuitive.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is online now  
Old 01-09-20, 03:15 PM
  #238  
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,217
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1770 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
I really hope it's true. Their UI really sucks, once you know its quirks it's ok but for a new user it's not at all intuitive.
Since I've just started back on it after a long time off, I keep finding myself starting up the program on my computer, clicking into my pedals, then having to go dismount and click the log in button and then go back and get on the bike again. It seems like the default should be to log in and only require extra steps if you want to change users. And then I get off after spinning the pedals to get it to recognize the powertap hub, so that I can go over and click ok to start. You'd think that after logging in (should be an automatic thing once you start the program), it should be able to sync with the companion app and do all the other steps from there (of course, not everyone is trying to do their riding in the back of an area of the basement set up with as a sort of home theater - not really theater seats, just a couple of recliners and a couch along a side wall - where the keyboard is around some furniture from the bike). And the work to find a way to change your equipment is annoying. You should be able to do that from the main menu rather than having to start a ride to get to it.
himespau is offline  
Old 01-09-20, 06:12 PM
  #239  
redlude97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,637
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau View Post
Since I've just started back on it after a long time off, I keep finding myself starting up the program on my computer, clicking into my pedals, then having to go dismount and click the log in button and then go back and get on the bike again. It seems like the default should be to log in and only require extra steps if you want to change users. And then I get off after spinning the pedals to get it to recognize the powertap hub, so that I can go over and click ok to start. You'd think that after logging in (should be an automatic thing once you start the program), it should be able to sync with the companion app and do all the other steps from there (of course, not everyone is trying to do their riding in the back of an area of the basement set up with as a sort of home theater - not really theater seats, just a couple of recliners and a couch along a side wall - where the keyboard is around some furniture from the bike). And the work to find a way to change your equipment is annoying. You should be able to do that from the main menu rather than having to start a ride to get to it.
hmm mine logs in automatically. A wireless keyboard with trackpad is also great to have if you aren't using the companion app
redlude97 is online now  
Old 01-09-20, 08:30 PM
  #240  
jbasirico
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 20

Bikes: Fezzari Empire SL, BMC Roadmachine 03

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The whole focus on virtual biking is cool but needs some alternative. Perhaps, there could be game where resource utilization/timing is based on wattage output or FTP % and you have to allocate your watts to power in-game resources. Of course, using the bike to navigate would also be part of the game. Di2/eTap buttons could be reassigned to game functions. Longer term, I wonder if the more complete bike-trainer solutions (e.g., Kickr Bike) will become larger markets and if those types of devices will become better suited to new virtual biking alternatives.

Anyway, there is so much more potential than just Mario Kart, although that would also be awesome.
jbasirico is offline  
Old 01-10-20, 09:00 AM
  #241  
zacster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 6,544
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 79 Posts
I don't really need Zwift to become a video game just because it uses game technology in it. But I do think the UI is pretty bad. I use a Mac to run it mostly and there are some really annoying things, like being unable to finish a ride and go to another one without fully exiting, or as noted needing to start a ride to get to the menus. It also launches a separate app to start the ride instead of running within the app you have open. I don't know if it is the same on Windows because I've never tried. I've only used it once or twice with iOS and don't remember what it did. And I never know how to do anything once I'm in the app, nothing is really intuitive. I always feel like I'm starting over and have to go to zwiftinsider to find out. Even giving a "Ride On" is difficult and I always try to give one to people I've stuck with for a while but I have to focus on doing it and in the process lose them because I've let up the power.

I guess that will be the flaw in any improvements, you can focus on your pedaling or you can focus on the app.
zacster is offline  
Old 01-10-20, 11:05 AM
  #242  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 9,660

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3681 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster View Post
I I don't know if it is the same on Windows because I've never tried.
Its the same.
The fact that ending a ride kicks you out of the program is insane. Its completely absurd and I cant even imagine why those who created the program would have designed it this way. What benefit is there to closing the program? Its super annoying since logging in takes almost 5 minutes for the program to load.
The other annoying thing is that I cant go to a race from the main screen. I need to select 'ride', go into whatever world happens to be selected, then select the 'join race' option within the world which then means I wait a few minutes for the race to load. Why not just let me join the race right away?
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-10-20, 08:07 PM
  #243  
esarhaddon
Lurker
 
esarhaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 15

Bikes: Trek Domane Koppenberg, Windsor Knight, Jamis Durango

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Its the same.
The fact that ending a ride kicks you out of the program is insane. Its completely absurd and I cant even imagine why those who created the program would have designed it this way. What benefit is there to closing the program? Its super annoying since logging in takes almost 5 minutes for the program to load.
The other annoying thing is that I cant go to a race from the main screen. I need to select 'ride', go into whatever world happens to be selected, then select the 'join race' option within the world which then means I wait a few minutes for the race to load. Why not just let me join the race right away?
Jon Mayfield mentions persistent bugs that crop up if you continually switch worlds in the Zwiftcast podcast episode #65 (1:04:30 into the podcast). That is why the program annoyingly restarts after you finish a ride. I cannot say this has ever bothered me, but I also played way, way, way too many hours of Europa Universalis IV which has exactly the same problem of persistent bugs which were more easily quashed by forcing a program restart. I don't really even notice it happening anymore.

For how rides/races/workouts start in-game, it will be interesting how the coming UI changes affect things. Whenever the UI changes come.

so close to 10 years - 10 posts ... I did not quite make it.
esarhaddon is offline  
Likes For esarhaddon:
Old 01-13-20, 07:58 AM
  #244  
burnthesheep
Newbie racer
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,493

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 360 Times in 244 Posts
Looking online the next best TT bike I can get will be at level 13 the Specialized S-works Shiv. Would that bike be worth buying and tossing some 808's on it? In TT's I frequently lose to people on less watts using other bikes and wheels. My speeds seem slower than my real world TT bike (which is about as fast as you can get within a price range).

I have about a million drops to spend and that bike costs a bundle. Just want to spend wisely!
burnthesheep is offline  
Old 01-13-20, 08:31 AM
  #245  
jadocs
Senior Member
 
jadocs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 1,458

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Its the same.
The fact that ending a ride kicks you out of the program is insane. Its completely absurd and I cant even imagine why those who created the program would have designed it this way. What benefit is there to closing the program? Its super annoying since logging in takes almost 5 minutes for the program to load.
The other annoying thing is that I cant go to a race from the main screen. I need to select 'ride', go into whatever world happens to be selected, then select the 'join race' option within the world which then means I wait a few minutes for the race to load. Why not just let me join the race right away?
Agree, and repairing sensors (especially when you have more than 3 if using Apple TV) is a PITA.

Every time I use the companion app to pair my fourth sensor, I pair it, then have to wait until Zwift says "no signal", then unpair and re-pair for it to work. Anyone else have this issue?
jadocs is offline  
Old 01-13-20, 09:14 AM
  #246  
OBoile
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,516
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post
Looking online the next best TT bike I can get will be at level 13 the Specialized S-works Shiv. Would that bike be worth buying and tossing some 808's on it? In TT's I frequently lose to people on less watts using other bikes and wheels. My speeds seem slower than my real world TT bike (which is about as fast as you can get within a price range).

I have about a million drops to spend and that bike costs a bundle. Just want to spend wisely!
The other option that would be viable is the P5 that is available at level 15. It's a bit better on the flat but not on climbs.
https://zwiftinsider.com/charts-tt/
https://zwiftinsider.com/fastest-tt-bikes/
But, as you can see in the charts, the average speed isn't going to change more than 0.1 or 0.2 km/h, so still likely slower than in real life for you (and, much much faster than real life for me - clearly my TT position sucks).
OBoile is online now  
Old 01-13-20, 09:39 AM
  #247  
burnthesheep
Newbie racer
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,493

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 360 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile View Post
The other option that would be viable is the P5 that is available at level 15. It's a bit better on the flat but not on climbs.
https://zwiftinsider.com/charts-tt/
https://zwiftinsider.com/fastest-tt-bikes/
But, as you can see in the charts, the average speed isn't going to change more than 0.1 or 0.2 km/h, so still likely slower than in real life for you (and, much much faster than real life for me - clearly my TT position sucks).
Haha! I dunno. I think the Zwift TT bike plus the entry level 30mm wheels are just that slow with the "Zwift" road bike helmet. In real life the fancy skinsuit, TT helmet, and wheels make a big difference even if position isn't super crazy. I'd imagine that might be it versus the real world.

I've done Tempus segment in Zwift before on the TT bike slower than I've done a similar length segment in real-life...........but the real life segment averages about 40 to 50 feet per mile and included the speed loss of a u-turn around. That's hella slower on Zwift! Haha. As Tempus is pretty much pan flat. I'm using Tempus nowadays to hit level 13 to get those Zipp 808's on there. Then back to climbing for the Tron bike, someday.
burnthesheep is offline  
Old 01-13-20, 10:05 AM
  #248  
OBoile
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,516
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post
Haha! I dunno. I think the Zwift TT bike plus the entry level 30mm wheels are just that slow with the "Zwift" road bike helmet. In real life the fancy skinsuit, TT helmet, and wheels make a big difference even if position isn't super crazy. I'd imagine that might be it versus the real world.

I've done Tempus segment in Zwift before on the TT bike slower than I've done a similar length segment in real-life...........but the real life segment averages about 40 to 50 feet per mile and included the speed loss of a u-turn around. That's hella slower on Zwift! Haha. As Tempus is pretty much pan flat. I'm using Tempus nowadays to hit level 13 to get those Zipp 808's on there. Then back to climbing for the Tron bike, someday.
Yeah, I'm about 3-4 km/h faster on Zwift than real life... something's not optimal for me. Having said that, I haven't exactly put much time into my position. I've done one duathlon and I pretty much just put the aero bars on, did a couple of rides and then raced. I did have an aero helmet as it was 80% off, but I have no idea if it's a good fit for me. Hopefully there's some low-hanging fruit I can get this year both in terms of power in that position and aerodynamics.
OBoile is online now  
Old 01-13-20, 11:44 AM
  #249  
burnthesheep
Newbie racer
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,493

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 360 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile View Post
Yeah, I'm about 3-4 km/h faster on Zwift than real life... something's not optimal for me. Having said that, I haven't exactly put much time into my position. I've done one duathlon and I pretty much just put the aero bars on, did a couple of rides and then raced. I did have an aero helmet as it was 80% off, but I have no idea if it's a good fit for me. Hopefully there's some low-hanging fruit I can get this year both in terms of power in that position and aerodynamics.
Not everyone is a fan (I'm not, I just watch it for youtube filler to waste time), but Vegan cyclist has a youtube video where he tried riding a TT bike. He "claims" his road bike climbing position he can do 350w for 20min. Which is ******.

TT bike? One of his first indoor workouts he couldn't even hit more than about 225 to 230w!!!! That's crazy! But, the time in the saddle and workouts get it closer.

RIght now I'm at about 20 to 25w lower than my road bike position. Used to be more like 40w to 50w less last year. Doing nothing other than some blocks of TT bike workouts and being sure to ride the darn thing in anger at least once a week or so.
burnthesheep is offline  
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 01-13-20, 02:52 PM
  #250  
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent
 
WalksOn2Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denton, TX
Posts: 5,464

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1493 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP View Post
I did read on another forum that they hired a bunch of new UI designers for the development team at Zwift, so the entire UI should be getting a big update at some point which is much needed. There are things that just don't make sense, like being unable to edit your route selection once you've started a ride, being unable to change equipment choices unless you're in a ride, etc.
Regarding your post about height doping many pages back, it would be hilarious to get an update where height and weight changed your avatar's appearance to get real world BMI representations. Imagine seeing a four and a half foot anorexic guy flying past you at 10 w/kg.

As for me, I bought into zwift last year and burned myself out pretty quick (in addition to other family matters that came up last year). This year I am using it in supplement with outdoor rides just because my days are so full that virtual rides can be done at 9 or 10 p.m. during the week. Being in a pretty flat area in North Texas, it's fun to be able to run courses with real sustained climbs. Of course I leave it on the default 50% gradient reality and still suck, but I still put out more watts than usual while netflix binging.
WalksOn2Wheels is online now  
Likes For WalksOn2Wheels:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.