Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment
Reload this Page >

Rate the last TV series you watched

Notices
Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment Do we really need a description for this forum?

Rate the last TV series you watched

Old 10-21-19, 08:00 AM
colorider
smorenivore

Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
Saw the first episode of Breaking Bad last night. Yeah I'm going to have to watch more of it. Really good.
Old 10-21-19, 01:06 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Saw the first episode of Breaking Bad last night. Yeah I'm going to have to watch more of it. Really good.
Be prepared to be roped in for all 5 seasons.

Breaking Bad, along with The Wire and Justified are addictive.
Old 10-21-19, 01:09 PM
colorider
smorenivore

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Be prepared to be roped in for all 5 seasons.

Breaking Bad, along with The Wire and Justified are addictive.
Yeah those and the Sopranos as well sound interesting
Old 10-31-19, 02:54 PM
Manovvar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Boys - 10/10
waiting the second season
Old 10-31-19, 06:37 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3403 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 179 Posts
Jessica Jones Season 1

This is the third in the series of Netflex original Marvel cinematic shows know as the Defenders. They are a class of pseudo-superheros who attained their power through genetic manipulation or accidental chemical contamination.

Of all the group characters so far, JJ is without a doubt the most anti-social and depraved. A typical example of how much Hollywood seeks to projects it typically immoral conscientiousness onto the population.

JJ is one of the most obnoxious characters ever created. She is an amoral alcoholic that lives in a filthy apartment which doubles as here private detective office. JJ doesn't believe in dressing for the occasion, thumbing her nose at everything establishment, including protocol and etiquette.

She wears the same ratty jeans and combat boots (which she also sleep in, btw) every day. If she does end up helping someone its not by choice. Rather, its only a byproduct of her detective business and incidental to her solving the case. She just projects an attitude of selfishness and misery few people can tolerate for more than a short time.

She has one friend (her neighbor and employee) with a tenuous relationship, and a sister. If "men are dogs", then JJ is the living embodiment that proves women can be just as bad.

JJ is also at odd with reality. She kills by snapping a man's neck with her bare hands (well, he was the bad guy) and then proclaims she's not a killer?

The only redeeming quality about the show is the remarkable acting portrayed by Krysten Ritter who truly makes her character come to life. As distasteful and aversive as it is, she is JJ. The superhero you'll struggle to like.

3/10

Last edited by KraneXL; 11-01-19 at 06:28 PM. Reason: improve clarity
Old 11-01-19, 03:20 PM
Manovvar

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Misfits. I wish I'd watched it sooner, a very cool show.
Old 11-04-19, 09:14 AM
angine

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It's Grime Up North. No words could possibly do this two episode C4 documentary justice, so I won't even try.
Old 12-13-19, 10:11 AM
colorider
smorenivore

His Dark Materials. 4 Episodes in. So far so good.
Old 12-15-19, 10:31 AM
angine

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Series 4 of The Grand Tour episode 1 just dropped on Prime.
One and a half hours of four silly old men boating across Cambodia and Vietnam is somehow good television!
Not sure if there are more episodes or whether that was it.
Old 12-15-19, 11:03 AM
KraneXL

Caution: Rant

How can you people even watch prime-time TV? I was in Planet Fitness the other evening resting up between my sets and glance up at the monitors. Since there's no sound you just watch the action.

There was a gunfight with high powered automatic weapon spraying everything in sight and hitting nothing. On top of that, fake CGI flames were coming out of the muzzles on every shot?

On top of that, the gorgeous FBI lady outran the two other male agents chased down the bad guy twice her size, tackled him and had him handcuffed and in custody by the time the other agents arrived. Oh, did I mention she was still gorgeous without a single hair out of place. Really? Who writes this stuff?

End of Rant. Thank you for reading.
Old 12-15-19, 11:46 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 3430 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 328 Posts
Ice pilots
Old 12-21-19, 10:10 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 3277 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 424 Posts
American Horror Story --- 7/10

tl;dr -- Best thing about AHS is Jessica Lange. She's gloriously campy and malevolent. And Lily Rabe, possibly the most versatile actress in the anthology.

Can't say I like it, but it's usually on during my indoor trainer sessions until I find a series I like better. I get bored with bike training videos so I binge watch TV shows I've been meaning to watch anyway. It started after my injury in 2018 and I was stuck with the indoor trainer for months. That's how I finally watched all of Hannibal, Orphan Black and The Expanse. Now I still do it for short HIIT sessions and longer base mile stuff when it's too messy outdoors to ride.

But AHS has been more annoying than entertaining. Season 1, "Murder House", was borderline awful. But I slogged through it just for the distraction during interval sessions. I was about to quit the show when Amazon's media player inexplicably jumped from the end of season 1 to the first episode of "Apocalypse," which sucks so badly I still can't believe I watched the entire episode. But I was on a roll on the bike for a training session and just let the stupid show keep playing.

Then I went back to the chronological sequence and started watching season 2, "Asylum" and... it's not bad. I'm about to finish that season.

But I won't bother with the rest. Even the good episodes have a consistent tone that's more unpleasant than suspenseful or scary. It's reminiscent of Rob Zombie movies, which are mostly bad fanboy remakes of old tropes. It's like every self-style edgy auteur wants to be the next Tobe Hooper making the classic Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but they can't quite pull it off.

Update 1/2/2020 - Well, AHS finally hooked me with season 3, Coven. Lotta wicked fun. Powerful female cast, especially Jessica Lange and Lily Rabe. Lange basically plays variations of Norma Desmond, gloriously campy. But Rabe has real range and plays completely different characters each season.

The writing is still uneven, lots of plot holes, but by season 3 I don't really care.

1/14/20 -- Welp, I finished Coven, watched the first episode of season 4, Freak Show, and... meh. Again. AHS just doesn't quite grab me. Coven was fun, though. I guess I'll move on to The Expanse now that season 4 is available.

Last edited by canklecat; 01-14-20 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-23-19, 10:03 AM
colorider
smorenivore

Started The Witcher this weekend. So far it's okay. Not quite on par with GoT that it's compared to but okay.
Old 01-05-20, 08:24 AM
angine

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Having heard mixed reviews, I've watched the first two eps of 'The Morning Show' and have to say I'm really enjoying it.
Old 01-05-20, 09:15 AM
Deal4Fuji
Friction Fan

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '83 Raleigh Olympian, '87 Lotus Excelle, '85 Centurion Ironman, '75 Schwinn Continental, '73 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Trek 500, '12 Trek Alpha 1.1, '77 Schwinn Speedster, Schwinn Trailway, Ross Central Park

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 213 Posts
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel 9/10 - youngest daughter Liz got us hooked on this Prime series over Christmas and it's really good. I don't watch a lot of TV series shows and it's not new in the 3rd season now, but I'm really enjoying this show. Good music too.
Old 01-05-20, 12:07 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 153 Posts
Chance - 8/10. Hugh Laurie plays an American doctor with single syllable last name.

Psychiatrists falls in love with beautiful crazy patient married to fearsome police detective. Trouble ensues.
Old 01-06-20, 12:08 AM
KraneXL

Lost in Space

This is a Netflix original which is more like a seasonal series than a continuous TV show. Its basically identical to the original show in cast and plot. However, being a modern design it has spared no expense in its political correctness. I think they ticked all the boxes to make sure every ethnicity is represented. (Surprisingly, there is no LGBTQ character).

One distinct difference in this modern version is that it is now a female characters driven show -- most of the episodes are written by women. In this LIS the women are the focus of the plots. As the show pretty much revolves around Maureen Robinson (and her daughters) and their challenges to overcome obstacles. MR is the smartest member of the family. John Robinson (for the second time) has be relocated to a supporting role.

Of course Will Robinson still maintains his assigned role along side the robot (which is of alien design this time), but does not occupy the lead character in every scene. In addition, his relationship with Dr. Smith (also female btw) is distantly different and has little to no resemblance to the original show's Dr. Smith bumbling character whatsoever.

Judy Robinson is also not the simple-minded character she was in the original show either. Instead, is an 19 year old bi-racial (mother's previous marriage) doctor with a mind of her own.

Probably the only similarity between the new LIS and the old one is its predictability. It is as predictable as the clock on the wall. You know what coming long before it happens. Even without the remarkable "rising action" score by John Williams. There is rarely a time when you don't know what's about to come next.

One thing I miss most of all from the original series (besides all the monsters) were all the explosions and sparkler effects. One can only wonder how Irwin Allen would have viewed what has become of his creation.
Old 01-13-20, 11:55 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 43 Posts
Finished watching the last season of Man in The High Castle. Pretty good series finale. Much like the book it ended in the same ambiguous enigmatic way.
Old 01-14-20, 10:23 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 61 Posts
I have been binge watching Schitt's Creek as the series is now in its last season. Man. Love that show! No laugh track. Great characters. Dry humour. What's not to like?
Old 01-14-20, 12:39 PM
angine

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Just finished The Mandolorian. Overall I really enjoyed it but I feel like the episodes could have benefited by being longer. Each episode is a mostly self contained story but the episodes are so short that it often feels a bit rushed and they always end with the bow neatly tied on the events of the episode. I also wasn't a fan of Cara Dune, can't stand that forced feeling badass character, always comes across as a bit cringy.
Old 01-14-20, 03:42 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by angine View Post
...can't stand that forced feeling badass character, always comes across as a bit cringy.
That was my first impression of Amos in The Expanse. But his character developed pretty well so I got over it.

Ditto, Eliot Spencer in Leverage. But the entire premise of the show was that each character was a trope, a type, filling a cardboard cutout role. The show was a guilty pleasure, despite the annoying caricatures.
Old 01-14-20, 06:58 PM
KraneXL

I've tried repeatedly to watch the Expanse due to all the hoopla here, but its so cookie-cutter predictable its just painful to watch. I'm not sure how you guys get over that. I can't.
Old 01-15-20, 01:36 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

I'm not as hot on The Expanse as some friends. But it has its moments. The darker stuff about the protomolecule is pretty good. At the opposite extreme, Miller starts off as a bad caricature of a tough guy cop. Most of the other characters are pretty good, especially Bobbie Draper and Camina Drummer. In between is mostly space opera, lover's quarrels, familiar political conflicts between frenemies and allies-of-convenience-for-the-moment.

My theory is all the conflict keeps flaring up because nobody understands what the hell the Belters are saying, not even other Belters. That guttural, aggressive sounding Belter creole makes everyone sound like they're itching for a fight. There's a reason why most advanced societies develop fairly formal standards for language, spoken and written. It's for clarity. And even fake politeness is still effective in diplomacy.

I'm sorta hoping the protomolecule takes over and resolves the whole problem.

Personally, my favorite recent sci-fi show was Orphan Black. It started out kinda tropey and familiar, but quickly got weird. And Tatiana Maslany was fantastic.
Old 01-15-20, 11:46 PM
betsycollins95

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YOU Season 2: 8.4/10

I never thought I'd like a show similar to this one but there was something about it that had me stuck to my laptop
Old 01-16-20, 11:40 PM
betsycollins95

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Duuuude how could i forget taboo. That things a 9.5/10. Tom Hardy <3

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.