Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to Wear Out (Stretch) the Chain Evenly - Routine Maintenance

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-19-20, 02:39 PM
Cheez

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts

I thought I should share this so I made a video of taking care of your chain on how to wear out the chain evenly. Please feel free to comment.

Old 01-19-20, 03:19 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 68 Posts
Faulty logic. The number of links in your chain is not an exact multiple of the number of teeth on your chainring. As you pedal the chain does not engage the chainring at the same point as the last time it engaged the chainring. Chain wear happens uniformly over time
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 01-19-20, 05:59 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 95 Posts
Sorry, it was too painful to watch the whole thing. Does he think that only the top half of the chain gets worn out?
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 01-19-20, 06:09 PM
02Giant 
Home School Valedictorian

Bikes: 13 Orbea Orca 02 Giant Cypress 88 Mongoose ATB 79 frame-built to 80 spec. Schwinn Traveller

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 94 Posts
I wear mine out evenly by riding.

I ain't broke and I ain't hungry but I'm close enough to care
tp

Likes For 02Giant:
Old 01-19-20, 06:32 PM
Cheez

Originally Posted by alcjphil View Post
Faulty logic. The number of links in your chain is not an exact multiple of the number of teeth on your chainring. As you pedal the chain does not engage the chainring at the same point as the last time it engaged the chainring. Chain wear happens uniformly over time
I think the chain has the trajectory path on what links are put to greater stress as you push down the pedal versus relieving the pressure on the pedal, meaning they are at "fixed" rate. The links don't rotate around for even wear unless you pull the chain off the ring and reposition the chain on the ring by several inches... If the pedaling was done by a machine to put steady pressure for the entire length of the chain it would result in even wear, or stretch, no?
Old 01-19-20, 06:43 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
I think the chain has the trajectory path on what links are put to greater stress as you push down the pedal versus relieving the pressure on the pedal, meaning they are at "fixed" rate. The links don't rotate around for even wear unless you pull the chain off the ring and reposition the chain on the ring by several inches... If the pedaling was done by a machine to put steady pressure for the entire length of the chain it would result in even wear, or stretch, no?
Yes, there is more stress on the chain during the downward power stroke, but those links are not in the same position the next time they come around and other links are in the higher stress position. In effect, the chain is repositioned automatically as you pedal the bike. There is absolutely no need to manually reposition the chain. Try this: take some red nail polish and put a dot on one chain link and another dot just below on the chainring. Pedal until the red dot on the chain comes around again. You will see that the 2 dots don't line up when they come back around
However, the wear at the chainring is nothing compared to the wear that occurs where the chain goes over the cassette. The power transmitted by the crank is distributed over far fewer teeth on the cog and the chain has to bend much more to engage the teeth. Then the chain has to bend twice more to pass through the derailleur pulleys. This is where the majority of chain wear happens.
Chains don't stretch, they wear

Last edited by alcjphil; 01-19-20 at 07:31 PM.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 01-19-20, 07:10 PM
trailflow1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you stopped buying overpriced Campagnolo Chorus chains and buy KMC instead you can worry less about chain stretch. You can buy 2 KMC chains for the price of 1 Chorus chain.

Chains have a definitive lifespan no matter how much they cost. It's a high stress part. There is no way to really avoid the wear and stretch. Why worry about it prolonging the chain's life by 10% ? 5% ? 2% ? It would be near impossible to measure the effectiveness.

Last edited by trailflow1; 01-19-20 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-19-20, 07:43 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 182 Posts
OP: You are completely wrong - but if you wish to waste your time, go right ahead.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-19-20, 07:47 PM
Kenderbender

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting info
Likes For Kenderbender:
Old 01-19-20, 09:23 PM
_ForceD_

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 38 Posts
Wear is wear. Stretch is stretch. Regardless of where on the chain it happens...it happens. Bottom line is that it’s going to wear/stretch somewhere and it will have the same affect. Besides...the repositioning happens frequently as a consequence of going through the gears.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 01-19-20, 09:55 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 191 Posts
Please don't make videos about things you know nothing about.

Last edited by LAJ; 01-20-20 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-19-20, 11:13 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1196 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed View Post

Oh, now, knowing things and being right is over rated.

Questioning is good. Fits right in with some of my ideas about reversing and/or flipping chain to even out the wear,

and measuring chain wear by weight...

Last edited by LAJ; 01-20-20 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-20-20, 10:20 AM
Cheez

Originally Posted by dedhed View Post
At first I was not going to bother making this video cause I wasn't sure what I claimed about the chain is right.

Last edited by LAJ; 01-20-20 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-20-20, 10:32 AM
Thomas15

Bikes: TREK 4500 MTB, Nishiki Olympic, Nishiki Sport, Cannondale Synapse 4

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
You are not even semi-funny.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 01-20-20, 11:00 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 148 Posts
Chains don't wear unevenly. Measure the stretch (distance between 12 links using a ruler) at several spots along the chain and it will be the same.

Last edited by LAJ; 01-20-20 at 03:22 PM.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 01-20-20, 11:14 AM
shelbyfv
Banned.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 290 Posts
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-20-20, 11:20 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3045 Post(s)
Liked 1,514 Times in 909 Posts
I gave up most of the way through. This makes absolutely no sense at all. As far as tension goes, each link goes through exactly the same cycle as all of the others on each revolution. Even if it were a matter of tension stretching things (it's not), no link is going through a different cycle than any other, and repositioning will accomplish exactly nothing.

The only way I can imagine uneven wear being a real thing is if there were a bad tooth on the chain ring or gear, and only if the ring were perfectly synchronized so that the bad tooth kept hitting the same links. That's a really far-fetched scenario, especially on a multi-gear bike.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-20-20, 11:26 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 148 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
I gave up most of the way through. This makes absolutely no sense at all. As far as tension goes, each link goes through exactly the same cycle as all of the others on each revolution. Even if it were a matter of tension stretching things (it's not), no link is going through a different cycle than any other, and repositioning will accomplish exactly nothing.

The only way I can imagine uneven wear being a real thing is if there were a bad tooth on the chain ring or gear, and only if the ring were perfectly synchronized so that the bad tooth kept hitting the same links. That's a really far-fetched scenario, especially on a multi-gear bike.
Actually, he is correct about there being higher tension and therefore different rates of wear at different points in the pedal stroke. What he has wrong is that the same segment of chain isn't on the same spot on the chainring every pedal revolution and so there is no need to manually move the chain.

Also, the whole chain is not in tension at the same time. It's only under significant tension on the top run, and is only experiencing wear where it comes off the cassette cog and where it goes onto the chainring. The chain experiences no wear while running in a straight line, and is under no tension (meaning no wear) on the bottom run and through the derailleur.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 01-20-20, 11:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10040 Post(s)
Liked 1,518 Times in 901 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15 View Post
You are not even semi-funny.
I think I have a new signature--with your permission, of course. I have grown tired of my current one.
Old 01-20-20, 11:27 AM
Cheez

Thanks for the comment for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate it.
Old 01-20-20, 11:37 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1721 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 168 Posts
That's a really far-fetched scenario, especially on a multi-gear bike.
It can happen on any single chain ring drivetrain, but only if the length of the chain is an unfortunate ratio of the chain ring size. So, maybe if you have a long tail with a 1x11 drivetrain, or if you are building a giraffe unicycle.

-mr. bill
Old 01-20-20, 11:47 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 191 Posts
https://www.diamondchain.com/understanding-wear-life/
Old 01-20-20, 11:56 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier View Post
Actually, he is correct about there being higher tension and therefore different rates of wear at different points in the pedal stroke. What he has wrong is that the same segment of chain isn't on the same spot on the chainring every pedal revolution and so there is no need to manually move the chain.

Also, the whole chain is not in tension at the same time. It's only under significant tension on the top run, and is only experiencing wear where it comes off the cassette cog and where it goes onto the chainring. The chain experiences no wear while running in a straight line, and is under no tension (meaning no wear) on the bottom run and through the derailleur.
Last time I checked, I have two feet each at the opposite from the other in the pedal stroke, so even if it did line up perfectly, the differences are likely to be fairly negligible. The whole chain is going to be worn long before this "unevenness" would matter.
Old 01-20-20, 11:59 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Originally Posted by mr_bill View Post
It can happen on any single chain ring drivetrain, but only if the length of the chain is an unfortunate ratio of the chain ring size. So, maybe if you have a long tail with a 1x11 drivetrain, or if you are building a giraffe unicycle.

-mr. bill

I think I'm more likely to damage my fork hitting a unicorn than I am to actually get that exact ratio.

The bad tooth is going to ruin the chain even or uneven, anyway.
Old 01-20-20, 12:01 PM
Thomas15

Bikes: TREK 4500 MTB, Nishiki Olympic, Nishiki Sport, Cannondale Synapse 4

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
I think I have a new signature--with your permission, of course. I have grown tired of my current one.
Use at will, no problem indyfabz
Likes For Thomas15:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.