Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Latest spam technique

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Latest spam technique

Old 01-17-20, 05:22 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 193 Posts
Latest spam technique

Getting text messages like

Hi Tracy I tried to deliver your package but you weren't home. Click <link> for details.
The first one I thought it was just a wrong number, and I simply replied "wrong number".

But I've gotten a couple more similar texts, so pretty sure it's a new spam method. I haven't clicked any of the links.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 01-17-20, 06:34 PM
'02 nrs
royaloaker

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell,4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 35 Posts
Iranian greetings?

malware to the android time.
Old 01-17-20, 06:38 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion View Post
Getting text messages like

The first one I thought it was just a wrong number, and I simply replied "wrong number".

But I've gotten a couple more similar texts, so pretty sure it's a new spam method. I haven't clicked any of the links.
Doesn't a reply just tell them someone is reading at the other end, and encourage them to sell your number to some other spammers?
Old 01-17-20, 06:46 PM
tyrion

Originally Posted by chewybrian View Post
Doesn't a reply just tell them someone is reading at the other end, and encourage them to sell your number to some other spammers?
Yes. I replied to the first one out of politeness because I wasn't sure it was spam. When I got a second one, I was fairly sure it was spam and didn't reply.

But the real payoff for the spammer I think is for me to click the link, which I didn't do on any of them.
Old 01-17-20, 07:50 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 4306 Post(s)
Liked 819 Times in 494 Posts
I just got one this morning from a Orange County phone number, complete with a bogus FedEx tracking number, saying I have a delivery waiting.

Not as good as the ones claiming the IRS is going to arrest me. Those are hilarious.
Old 01-17-20, 10:52 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 10508 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,013 Posts
I heard the Census Bureau is giving $40,000 checks out. Did you get yours? I think they contact you through Facebook or something official like that.
Old 01-18-20, 02:37 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 509 Posts
I swiped the wrong way on a princess who was heir to a fortune in gold bullion, hidden by her deposed father. Missed my chance.

Semi-seriously, my old iPhone mostly gets spam and scam calls and texts, at least a couple a day, but it's just a backup phone on a Freedom Pop plan that costs a whole $50 a year for unlimited talk and text with 1GB/mo data, so I'm not complaining. My primary Android phone gets relatively few junk calls and almost no texts.

Email is a whole nuther can o' spam. I get up to a dozen a day. Most are automagically diverted to the junk bin, but a few sneak through. Most are obviously hinky, using custom fonts to bypass text recognition filters. But email programmers are figuring out other ways to recognize and filter out those as well.

Or the usual terrible grammar and spelling. My favorites are the emails purporting to be official but with salutations such as "My dear beloved" from PayPal.

Wouldn't be a big deal if I didn't need to check my spam bin daily to be sure it didn't snag a valid email that I needed to see.

Last edited by canklecat; 01-18-20 at 02:42 AM.
Old 01-18-20, 07:28 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion View Post
Yes. I replied to the first one out of politeness because I wasn't sure it was spam. When I got a second one, I was fairly sure it was spam and didn't reply.

But the real payoff for the spammer I think is for me to click the link, which I didn't do on any of them.
But you should remember not to reply to any email like that directly and if you were actually expecting a package contact the sender or shipper directly.

It doesn't matter if you clicked on any links, you were successfully PHISHED. Just responding says, "We've got a live one"!

Old 01-18-20, 11:00 AM
tyrion

Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
But you should remember not to reply to any email like that directly and if you were actually expecting a package contact the sender or shipper directly.

It doesn't matter if you clicked on any links, you were successfully PHISHED. Just responding says, "We've got a live one"!
It's irrelevant. My phone number has been "out there" for years. No harm done unless you click links.
Old 01-18-20, 11:13 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 384 Posts
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 01-18-20, 05:20 PM
Kedosto
Ambulophobic

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 121 Posts
Anybody else getting the "Window entry alarm detected. Contact monitoring station at (link)..."

They almost got me with this one. We have an alarm system and it's monitored but a microsecond before I clicked the link I caught myself and thought it odd that they wouldn't call me directly.

-Kedosto
Old 01-18-20, 11:47 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 10508 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post

​​​​​​In Android, and probably iOS, it's very easy to block texts and/or calls from any number
Old 01-19-20, 01:45 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

I won a new 2020 truck all I had to do is send in $700 processing and prep fee Other spam has said I will be arrested unless I pay.
Old 01-19-20, 08:22 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 137 Posts
Old 01-19-20, 06:44 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
I won a new 2020 truck all I had to do is send in $700 processing and prep fee Other spam has said I will be arrested unless I pay.
You live in TEXAS. Don't you get a truck with SNAP benefits? How DO you get home from H-E-B?
Old 01-20-20, 12:22 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

SNAP benefits? What is that? I buy snap green beans from HEB to eat with grilled beef fajitas as part of a great primal meal.
Old 01-20-20, 12:41 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 7662 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 327 Posts
SNAP benefits? What is that? I buy snap green beans from HEB to eat with grilled beef fajitas as part of a great primal meal.
I hear in Texas the only green that should be eaten is guacamole.
Old 01-20-20, 12:46 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1855 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
I hear in Texas the only green that should be eaten is guacamole.
That sounds about right.
When I was working at what is now known as Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth, I went with some co-workers to a local barbecue restaurant. They had about a dozen different kinds of meat, but if you wanted a vegetable, you got half an ear of sweet corn. That was it. Nothing green.
Old 01-20-20, 01:59 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 7662 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
That sounds about right.
When I was working at what is now known as Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth, I went with some co-workers to a local barbecue restaurant. They had about a dozen different kinds of meat, but if you wanted a vegetable, you got half an ear of sweet corn. That was it. Nothing green.
Oh, nearly forgot, raw chili peppers are OK too... as long as you eat a lot of them... you know... jalapeños, serranos. Otherwise.... "you don't deserve a beer... wussy."
Old 01-23-20, 12:15 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 50 Posts
I've gotten the FedEx spam txt. I wasn't fooled, but it did make me pause a moment because I had been ordering some things lately. I also got an automated message that someone was using my Amazon account. Pretty sure Amazon would not be robo calling me if that was the case.
Old 01-23-20, 01:39 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

SNAP benefits are when you get money from Homey the Clown, of course. If you're fortunate you get TWO SNAPS.
Old 01-26-20, 07:17 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Supplemental Nutrition Aid Program

The Benefit Formerly Known As Food Stamps.
Old 01-27-20, 06:15 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 368 Times in 280 Posts
OK, I got a text today that said "Hey Natalie! My divorce is over. Ready to start fresh. I feel lonely though.. Let's catch up for dinner! How does tomorrow sound? -Katie-"

I replied "hey you got the wrong number this is not natalie. Good luck tho", but now I wish I didn't :-(

It's a Google Voice number that I've only given out to my wife and son. Hopefully I can block faster than spammers can spam.
Old 01-28-20, 08:30 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ro...Bo0?li=BBnb7Kz

The bad guys are Americans too.
Old 01-28-20, 09:29 PM
Deal4Fuji
Friction Fan

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '83 Raleigh Olympian, '87 Lotus Excelle, '85 Centurion Ironman, '75 Schwinn Continental, '73 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Trek 500, '12 Trek Alpha 1.1, '77 Schwinn Speedster, Schwinn Trailway, Ross Central Park

Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 278 Posts
I posted some furniture for sale on craigslist today and made the mistake of allowing my phone number to be on the listing. I'd forgotten the last time I posted on C L I received A LOT of TXT replies wanting to send me a certified check and they'd have the item picked up in a few weeks after the check had cleared. Yeah right !

Today's scam was different, they wanted to send me a six digit code "to verify I am the seller". I'm sure if I replied to that code I'd be in for a world of spam or worse....what can they do with a 6 digit TXT'ed code reply? Anyone else seen this ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.