Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Maintaining a Silca Pista Floor Pump?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-31-18, 07:29 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4223 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts

I have Silca Pista (or superpista, not sure the difference or whether or not it matters) floor pump that I keep in my basement with my repair stand and tools (more modern pump in the garage for day to day use). I love the looks and solid feel (wooden handles worn smooth and steel pumps are great) of the Silca pump, but every few pumps, there isn't resistance and no air comes out, so I figured I'd buy the parts to rebuild the valves and replace the leather washer (also putting a new washer in the chuck and new hose because the old one has gotten a bit short as I've trimmed it to get rid of cracks.

One thing I've noticed as I've looked around about doing this is that I see people talking about oiling or greasing the pump every so often. I haven't done anything to this pump as long as I've owned it (maybe 10 years, but I got it used as it's probably from the 70's/80's), but, after I get it rebuilt, I'd like to care for it properly. What am I supposed to be oiling/greasing, and where do I apply it? Also, what lubricant should I be using. Something light like trimmer cutting oil? Thicker like Chain-L? Chainsaw Bar Oil? 5W30?

Sorry if this is an obvious question and I'm just being stupid.
Old 08-31-18, 07:37 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
I thought it was mainly the washer and light oil/grease but I don't have one of those. I do have a couple old NOS leather washers. Don't know if they fit that pump but think it would. If you would like one drop me a pm and I'll put in the mail as I don't know that I'll ever use one let alone both.
Old 08-31-18, 07:46 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
When mine stops pushing air, all I've had to do to restore it is pull out the piston, massage some grease into leather washer, and put the piston back in the pump. I've had mine for almost 40 years now, and haven't had to replace anything except the hose and rubber gasket in the chuck.
Old 08-31-18, 08:02 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by Bikerider007
I thought it was mainly the washer and light oil/grease but I don't have one of those. I do have a couple old NOS leather washers. Don't know if they fit that pump but think it would. If you would like one drop me a pm and I'll put in the mail as I don't know that I'll ever use one let alone both.
Thanks for the offer, I think I have a new leather gasket at home that should fit. If it turns out that I bought the wrong one, I might take you up on that.
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
When mine stops pushing air, all I've had to do to restore it is pull out the piston, massage some grease into leather washer, and put the piston back in the pump. I've had mine for almost 40 years now, and haven't had to replace anything except the hose and rubber gasket in the chuck.
I was figuring it was that gasket and not the check valve (though I wasn't sure because it's like every 3rd to 5th pump that it doesn't push, not every one), but I though that as long as I was taking it apart anyway I'd replace all the fittings so that the innards would be like new.

So you just lube the washer itself with the grease you use for bearings? Is there any way to do a preventative treatment without taking it apart?

When the gasket on my chuck stopped making a good seal, I swapped it out for a compressor fitting that I could flip to get presta or schrader, but I got a new gasket for my chuck (which apparently you can flip the gasket and use for either presta or shrader, I've only ever used it presta), so I'll put that back in again.
Old 08-31-18, 08:42 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Old 08-31-18, 09:28 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,450 Times in 1,429 Posts
I have one of these, and the internal valve seems to have failed. I assume there is one, but maybe I'm wrong. When I pull up on the handle, the pump sucks. What can I do?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-31-18, 09:38 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,055 Times in 782 Posts
I always used vasoline (white petroleum "jelly") on leather cup plungers on Silcas or any other pump that uses leather. I also have had nothing but good long-term satisfaction from my Silca pumps (and sounds like the OP's is a "super" since it has a wooden handle, but possibly just a handle upgrade on a "standard"). I like to swab out the inner barrels with a homemade "rifle bore cleaner" that's nothing but coat hanger wire and pieces of cotton rag, replace the rag until comes out clean. There tends to be dirt and rust that builds up inside a steel tube over time (surprised?) and doing this I know the clean vasoline goes into a clean tunnel...now get your minds outta the gutter, people!
Old 08-31-18, 09:43 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by noglider
I have one of these, and the internal valve seems to have failed. I assume there is one, but maybe I'm wrong. When I pull up on the handle, the pump sucks. What can I do?
I'm not sure, but that sounds like a check valve issue. I think it's near the gauge (haven't pulled mine apart yet. Replacements are about $10 on amazon, ebay, silca's website, etc. Seems a lot for a little brass fitting and a spring.

When I do strip mine down, part of me is tempted to replace the hose with a longer hose from a cheaper pump (my other pump has a much longer lezyne hose), but I really like the thickness of the walls of the silca hose even if it is a bit short.
Originally Posted by unworthy1
I always used vasoline (white petroleum "jelly") on leather cup plungers on Silcas or any other pump that uses leather. I also have had nothing but good long-term satisfaction from my Silca pumps (and sounds like the OP's is a "super" since it has a wooden handle, but possibly just a handle upgrade on a "standard"). I like to swab out the inner barrels with a homemade "rifle bore cleaner" that's nothing but coat hanger wire and pieces of cotton rag, replace the rag until comes out clean. There tends to be dirt and rust that builds up inside a steel tube over time (surprised?) and doing this I know the clean vasoline goes into a clean tunnel...now get your minds outta the gutter, people!
That cleaning with a rag sounds like a good idea, I might just have to steal it.
Old 08-31-18, 10:52 AM
cdmurphy

Bikes: Too many, but sometimes not enough.

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I have Silca Pista (or superpista, not sure the difference or whether or not it matters) floor pump that I keep in my basement with my repair stand and tools (more modern pump in the garage for day to day use). I love the looks and solid feel (wooden handles worn smooth and steel pumps are great) of the Silca pump, but every few pumps, there isn't resistance and no air comes out, so I figured I'd buy the parts to rebuild the valves and replace the leather washer (also putting a new washer in the chuck and new hose because the old one has gotten a bit short as I've trimmed it to get rid of cracks.

One thing I've noticed as I've looked around about doing this is that I see people talking about oiling or greasing the pump every so often. I haven't done anything to this pump as long as I've owned it (maybe 10 years, but I got it used as it's probably from the 70's/80's), but, after I get it rebuilt, I'd like to care for it properly. What am I supposed to be oiling/greasing, and where do I apply it? Also, what lubricant should I be using. Something light like trimmer cutting oil? Thicker like Chain-L? Chainsaw Bar Oil? 5W30?

Sorry if this is an obvious question and I'm just being stupid.
That lack of resistance is caused by the leather cup piston not being quite big enough to seal, so air just wooshes by. Re-oiling or re-greasing will make it more flexible, and probably flare it out a bit more too. Another possible "fix" involves technique - start each stroke with a rapid flick - this will cause enough initial pressure to push the washer out again the cylinder walls, letting the pressure against the leather keep things sealed.

You'll likely find it pumps perfectly if you pump it rapidly, but maybe not at all if you pump slowly. :-)
Old 08-31-18, 10:53 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
I have experienced the same issue. I bought a new leather cup, there are two sizes, and lubed it up. After a couple of rapid pumps, it has gotten better with use. I thought it might be the check valve initially but since it was a new pump at a recycle cycle shop, I assumed it was good, just not broken in.

Initially, the orientation of the shaft makes a difference in sealing. Try to pump it with a minimum of side loading on the handle.
Old 08-31-18, 10:56 AM
cdmurphy

Bikes: Too many, but sometimes not enough.

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I forgot to mention, there is almost certainly no need to replace the leather washer. It should last decades of heavy use. The only real way to ruin them is to oil them so heavily they start to fall apart, or let them get/stay wet, causing rot. If they're just hard, or undersized, a bit of grease, and massaging them open a bit should take care of it for another half dozen years.
Old 08-31-18, 11:04 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
Well there is one other way, Mine folded on one side and once deformed it would not retain the original shape needed to keep a seal, hence the replacement. I have two frame pumps from the early 70's with original leather.
Old 08-31-18, 11:14 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
So you just lube the washer itself with the grease you use for bearings?
That's what I've used, although some people apparently prefer olive oil, and Silca sells what they call "pump blood" for this purpose:

https://silca.cc/collections/replace...aka-pump-blood

Is there any way to do a preventative treatment without taking it apart?
It's no big deal taking it apart: just unscrew the threaded fitting at the top of the pump and pull out the plunger:

It's what you'd have to do anyway, if you wanted to replace the leather washer.
Old 08-31-18, 11:48 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
@himespau sounds good, if you want just pm. The ones I have are Silca from the 90s so I think it may fit if yours doesn't.
Old 08-31-18, 11:54 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 399 Posts
Interesting, need to try this on my "Hite" pump I used to inflate my tubulars with -- unused for many decades. Hope it works, otherwise just a display item.

Old 08-31-18, 12:07 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,450 Times in 1,429 Posts
@himespau, thank you. I ordered a check valve on Amazon. I've replaced the hose and head once or twice. I'm not one for period correctness.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-31-18, 03:34 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
My Silca is 32 years old and I have replaced the leather gasket once, for no other reason that I could. Last year I cleaned out the check valve when the pump wasn't working as per NoGliders description. It was full of crap and now works beautifully. I probably greased it twice or three times in its lifetime. I just wish the hose was longer so when my bike is in the stand I can pump the tires.
Old 08-31-18, 09:24 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by blakcloud
My Silca is 32 years old and I have replaced the leather gasket once, for no other reason that I could. Last year I cleaned out the check valve when the pump wasn't working as per NoGliders description. It was full of crap and now works beautifully. I probably greased it twice or three times in its lifetime. I just wish the hose was longer so when my bike is in the stand I can pump the tires.
Yeah, I'd definitely like a longer hose, but most of the longer hoses I have aren't as thick. Whether or not that means they can handle the pressure I want to put in the tires, don't know. Probably they'd be just fine. Seem to work ok with my other pump.
Old 09-01-18, 05:56 PM
himespau 

You all appear to have diagnosed the problem and suggested the solution perfectly. The problem with air flow only happened when I was pumping slowly. There actually was a lot of grease on the leather gasket, but it was black and the gasket was pretty flexible, so I cleaned the shaft and chamber then replaced with a new (freshly greased) leather gasket and I seem to get engagement through the entire pumping (before it was only half to 2/3 stroke that I felt resistance. Didn't bother pulling and cleaning that check valve, but I may do that at some point (and replacing if needed as I have a spare now).

It was so easy that I may take the pista (plastic handle) that I have at work home and give it a good cleaning if not replace the gasket to revitalize it. I'd held off in the past because it seemed intimidating for some reason. I have to say that I prefer the wooden handle to the plastic (I've had to replace the gauges on both), but I do wish the ones I had were the ones with the more stable triangle base vs. the single foot pad that is directly across from the gauge.
Old 09-01-18, 07:30 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 376 Posts
My Silca is 35 years old. I never changed the leather gasket. I use Neatsfoot oil (baseball glove oil) on mine. The check value did gum up once. I cleaned it up and oiled it with chain oil. The one thing I did replace was the pressure gauge.
Old 09-01-18, 07:54 PM
CO_Steve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hate to admit it but mine is 41 years old. I serviced it once, still going.
Old 09-01-18, 10:08 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,055 Times in 782 Posts
I add a wooden extended base to the dinky metal bases on both regular and "super" pistas, it's a fun way to use up scrap plywood and makes the pumps 100% more stable, on one I even glued on some ribbed rubber to the bottom but that may be a pump-bump too far. Credit to my friend Martin who did it first and then I copied his and went farther...I have more pumps!
Old 09-02-18, 03:50 AM
son_of_clyde

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
If anyone is looking for replacement hose, McMaster-Carr # 5304K42 is an excellent choice.
Old 09-02-18, 08:37 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by son_of_clyde
If anyone is looking for replacement hose, McMaster-Carr # 5304K42 is an excellent choice.
Thank you, measuring inner and outer diameter and then hunting down properly rated hose was going to be one of my projects today.
Old 10-15-18, 01:54 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by son_of_clyde
Thank you for this. I wasn't sure how shipping would work as McMaster-Carr never shows you this until it's shipped, so I ended up ordering a box of 25 feet and a pack of 50 of the clamps (with shipping it came to ~$33). I figure that if I do 5 foot lengths, I can get five new hose setups for less than the price of 2 new, much shorter, silca hoses. I redid my two silca pumps last night and the hose and clamps look just like those silca sells except McMaster-Carr's says Thermal Value-flex on it rather than the Continental branding on Silca's. I think the Valuflex is rated to 50 extra psi (not that it matters, both are higher than my tires/tubes require) and I've already appreciated the extra length while pumping up tires that were on a bike that's on the stand and also while pumping up an exercise ball.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.