Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are new bikes a huge waste of money?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are new bikes a huge waste of money?

Old 08-28-19, 07:37 PM
  #1  
robnol
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Are new bikes a huge waste of money?

i recently bought a bike on ebay ..it cost 5000 brand new it is carbon fiber in pristine condition with high end components...its 9 years old ..its more bike than i could afford when it was new. i bought in a auction on ebay for 1000 dollars and 100 for shipping...i ask myself why people shell out mega bucks for new bikes when they can buy it for pennies on the dollar later....there are alot of high dollar bike deals on ebay...buying new seems like a waste of money
robnol is offline  
Likes For robnol:
Old 08-28-19, 08:02 PM
  #2  
Slightspeed
Senior Member
 
Slightspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,000

Bikes: 1961 Legnano Gran Premio, 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 231 Posts
True of almost all consumer items, cars especially, TVs, cameras, you name it. It's called "life".
Slightspeed is offline  
Old 08-28-19, 08:03 PM
  #3  
zarbog
Senior Member
 
zarbog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Golden Horseshoe
Posts: 136

Bikes: Giant SLR GX1 Toughroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Used furniture, used clothing, used cars, and on and on. You must spend a lot of time asking yourself questions.
zarbog is offline  
Likes For zarbog:
Old 08-28-19, 08:08 PM
  #4  
puma1552
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 703

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 28 Posts
Ok. I'd rather not wait 10 years to get the bike I have today for "pennies on the dollar" when I bought it brand new for 50% of MSRP anyway. Big difference in components after 10 years. I'll happily sell you my bike in 10 years for pennies on the dollar after I've enjoyed it for a decade.
puma1552 is offline  
Likes For puma1552:
Old 08-28-19, 09:54 PM
  #5  
robnol
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
Ok. I'd rather not wait 10 years to get the bike I have today for "pennies on the dollar" when I bought it brand new for 50% of MSRP anyway. Big difference in components after 10 years. I'll happily sell you my bike in 10 years for pennies on the dollar after I've enjoyed it for a decade.
i will buy it for pennies on the dollar... u shell out the mega bucks and i will enjoy it just as much knowing i wasnt dumb enough to buy something that loses its value faster than an american car...
robnol is offline  
Old 08-28-19, 10:02 PM
  #6  
MarcusT
Senior Member
 
MarcusT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NE Italy
Posts: 791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol View Post
i will buy it for pennies on the dollar... u shell out the mega bucks and i will enjoy it just as much knowing i wasnt dumb enough to buy something that loses its value faster than an american car...
Somebody has to buy it new or there would not be used to buy later.
I have bought new and I've bought used and...
If I can afford it I will buy new
MarcusT is offline  
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 08-28-19, 10:07 PM
  #7  
robnol
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT View Post
Somebody has to buy it new or there would not be used to buy later.
I have bought new and I've bought used and...
If I can afford it I will buy new
nothing wrong with new...if u have the funds to do so,alot of people dont
robnol is offline  
Likes For robnol:
Old 08-28-19, 10:09 PM
  #8  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 9,627

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3666 Post(s)
Liked 608 Times in 415 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol View Post
i will buy it for pennies on the dollar... u shell out the mega bucks and i will enjoy it just as much knowing i wasnt dumb enough to buy something that loses its value faster than an american car...
I dont understand why you consider buying a new bike to be dumb. Each person's priorities and wants are different in this hobby- it shouldn't be difficult to understand and respect that.

I dont understand why some people are willing to pay various amounts for products I dont find the same amount of value in, but I dont consider the people to be dumb- I just consider our priorities and what we value to be different.

Example- to the core, I cant grasp why someone who is just an enthusiast riding 2000mi each year would spend $1200 on a wheelset. To me, it makes no sense because I dont value wheelsets in the same what some others do. But i dont think they are dumb just because i cant see what they see. They view that wheelset as worth the money for their goals/priorities/experiences.



And this is coming from someone whose 4 person family has owned probably 35 bikes in total, has 13 bikes currently, and only 2 of those bikes were purchased new.

If even I think you are being extreme, I cant imagine what those who only buy new think.
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-28-19, 10:13 PM
  #9  
robnol
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
I dont understand why you consider buying a new bike to be dumb. Each person's priorities and wants are different in this hobby- it shouldn't be difficult to understand and respect that.

I dont understand why some people are willing to pay various amounts for products I dont find the same amount of value in, but I dont consider the people to be dumb- I just consider our priorities and what we value to be different.

Example- to the core, I cant grasp why someone who is just an enthusiast riding 2000mi each year would spend $1200 on a wheelset. To me, it makes no sense because I dont value wheelsets in the same what some others do. But i dont think they are dumb just because i cant see what they see. They view that wheelset as worth the money for their goals/priorities/experiences.



And this is coming from someone whose 4 person family has owned probably 35 bikes in total, has 13 bikes currently, and only 2 of those bikes were purchased new.

If even I think you are being extreme, I cant imagine what those who only buy new think.
when buying a bike the companies will charge whatever they feel the market is willing to pay...the 1200 dollar wheel set probably cost 300 to make
robnol is offline  
Old 08-28-19, 10:15 PM
  #10  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 9,627

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3666 Post(s)
Liked 608 Times in 415 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol View Post
when buying a bike the companies will charge whatever they feel the market is willing to pay...the 1200 dollar wheel set probably cost 300 to make
Yes I am aware of how consumerism and supply/demand work.

What's your point with this post?
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-28-19, 10:19 PM
  #11  
robnol
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Yes I am aware of how consumerism and supply/demand work.

What's your point with this post?
you dont have to spend 5000 dollars to get a high quality bike...be a smart consumer
robnol is offline  
Old 08-28-19, 10:29 PM
  #12  
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 10,318

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount, Salsa Timberjack, Diamondback Expert TG, Burley Samba

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1771 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 215 Posts
Road bike? Sure. Classic steel MTB? Ok. Modern MTB? No way... unless it’s pretty recent. They are changing fast for the better
Darth Lefty is offline  
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 08-28-19, 10:56 PM
  #13  
MarcusT
Senior Member
 
MarcusT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NE Italy
Posts: 791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol View Post
you dont have to spend 5000 dollars to get a high quality bike...be a smart consumer
Being a smart consumer means getting your money's worth, which can be very subjective.
Many people (myself) do not buy certain things thinking of resale value. I expect to keep my bikes until they fall apart or I am cold.
I see resale prices in North America and Europe and the UK, IMHO has by far the highest prices for used bikes. When I see a used 30 yr old bike sell for marginally less than a new similar quality bike, I shake my head.
In the end you bought a 10 yr old bike for 20% of it's value new. Who can say if you got a great bargain? People can start to nitpick re; frame, components, wheels, tires.

You feel did did great, again that's subjective. I, personally would not buy a used carbon frame because of the risks involved.
MarcusT is offline  
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 08-28-19, 10:56 PM
  #14  
gregf83 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 8,902
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol View Post
i ask myself why people shell out mega bucks for new bikes
Because they can. And to those who can a bicycle doesn't seem like 'mega bucks'.
gregf83 is offline  
Likes For gregf83:
Old 08-28-19, 10:57 PM
  #15  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 9,627

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3666 Post(s)
Liked 608 Times in 415 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol View Post
you dont have to spend 5000 dollars to get a high quality bike...be a smart consumer
1- I was asking what was your point of telling me you think it costs $300 to make a wheelset that sells for $1200. lots of products in life are priced at 4x the cost. Heck, many products we use are priced more than 4x the cost.

2- a smart consumer to you is one who waits almost a decade to buy a used version of what they want. A smart consumer in another person's eyes is someone who weighs their options and decides that they would like to enjoy a product now instead of waiting the better part of a decade.

Neither approach is wrong. Neither approach is dumb. Again- it's simply priorities.
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-28-19, 11:24 PM
  #16  
smashndash
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 600

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
1- I was asking what was your point of telling me you think it costs $300 to make a wheelset that sells for $1200. lots of products in life are priced at 4x the cost. Heck, many products we use are priced more than 4x the cost.

2- a smart consumer to you is one who waits almost a decade to buy a used version of what they want. A smart consumer in another person's eyes is someone who weighs their options and decides that they would like to enjoy a product now instead of waiting the better part of a decade.

Neither approach is wrong. Neither approach is dumb. Again- it's simply priorities.
You’re attempting to use logic with someone who is being irrationally defensive due to his inferiority complex. He can’t afford a $5000 bike like all his buddies in the group ride, so he calls them “dumb” or gullible or whatever.

I ride a $1300 (new) bike in a group where the average bike price is close to $10,000. I have never, ever felt the need to belittle others for the choices they have made. Instead, I understand that different people have different economic situations, and nobody has to denigrate each other for it when we can just get along and have fun riding our various bikes.
smashndash is offline  
Old 08-28-19, 11:49 PM
  #17  
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,217
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1462 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 88 Posts
I don't understand the purpose of an unsolicited rant shaming total strangers for making it possible to get cool stuff at fire sale prices. Is 'ingrate' a fitting word for such a cad? I think so.
Leisesturm is offline  
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 08-29-19, 01:56 AM
  #18  
downhillmaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 847
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 194 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol View Post
i will buy it for pennies on the dollar... u shell out the mega bucks and i will enjoy it just as much knowing i wasnt dumb enough to buy something that loses its value faster than an american car...
Poor, cheap people with bad typing skills need bicycles as well
downhillmaster is offline  
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 08-29-19, 03:31 AM
  #19  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,750

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3061 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
Because they can. And to those who can a bicycle doesn't seem like 'mega bucks'.
Yep.

As with anything ... because we can.


And really, when you've got a bicycle you love and you've logged 50,000+ km on it over the past decade ... who cares if it has "lost value" according to someone else.
Machka is offline  
Likes For Machka:
Old 08-29-19, 05:01 AM
  #20  
robnol
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster View Post
Poor, cheap people with bad typing skills need bicycles as well
im not poor.just not a fan of paying more than i have to...
robnol is offline  
Old 08-29-19, 05:06 AM
  #21  
robnol
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash View Post
You’re attempting to use logic with someone who is being irrationally defensive due to his inferiority complex. He can’t afford a $5000 bike like all his buddies in the group ride, so he calls them “dumb” or gullible or whatever.

I ride a $1300 (new) bike in a group where the average bike price is close to $10,000. I have never, ever felt the need to belittle others for the choices they have made. Instead, I understand that different people have different economic situations, and nobody has to denigrate each other for it when we can just get along and have fun riding our various bikes.
for that same 1300 dollars you could have bought a bike that sold for 5000 new with high end components....new is a placebo...a nice one but a placebo none the less
robnol is offline  
Old 08-29-19, 05:16 AM
  #22  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 24,791
Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10065 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol View Post
im not poor.just not a fan of paying more than i have to...
Sometimes you have to pay what you have to to get what you want.

indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-29-19, 05:21 AM
  #23  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 24,791
Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10065 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I don't understand the purpose of an unsolicited rant shaming total strangers for making it possible to get cool stuff at fire sale prices. Is 'ingrate' a fitting word for such a cad? I think so.
This isn't the OP's first foray into "You don't have to spend a lot to get quality" territory. I'm just playing along.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 08-29-19, 06:11 AM
  #24  
downhillmaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 847
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 194 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol View Post
im not poor.just not a fan of paying more than i have to...
My bad. You just have bad typing skills and are cheap.
I was two for three though
downhillmaster is offline  
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 08-29-19, 06:18 AM
  #25  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 9,627

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3666 Post(s)
Liked 608 Times in 415 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol View Post
you do that .bf or as i like to call it....like minded.com where honest opinion and discussion is limiterd to the collective ,mindset
This might be the first time I have seen bikeforums be called like minded. Threads devolve into a puddle of cess multiple times a day due to arguing over what is actually totally unimportant stuff in life. But apparently this place is likeminded?
All I have seen is that so far everyone has disagreed with you. If this continues, it would probably be the first thread where there collective agreement forms.

Why post here if you dont enjoy it?

Last edited by mstateglfr; 08-29-19 at 06:26 AM.
mstateglfr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.