Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Aero bars

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Aero bars

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-11, 09:10 PM
ezee2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aero bars

I rode a buddy's road bike with aero bars over the weekend. I found them to be very comfortable as well more aero dynamic. They gave me one more position to move around to, without any discomfort. How many of you guys have tried aero bars and found them to work for you mostly as another comfortable position. I'm always looking for more comfort, more aero is just a bonus.
Old 06-20-11, 09:13 PM
Velo Gator

Bikes: Cervélo S2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
You'll get more in-depth answers, but they need to be set up properly to make sure you're not losing power when you're "aero."
Old 06-20-11, 09:21 PM
iheartbenben

Bikes: Raleigh R600 105/DA, Specialized Allez Elite 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine weren't tailored for my fit at first, and I'm still not convinced i'm powerful enough to gain an advantage from aero vs drops. Gave me a lot of chest pains, YMMV.

They look cool though, huh?
Old 06-20-11, 09:22 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by iheartbenben
They look cool though, huh?
On a road bike? Nope.
Old 06-20-11, 09:26 PM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sometimes when I'm pushing into the wind I'll put my forearms down onto the top of my bars, I guess into an 'aero bar' position. I started doing it after seeing Cancellara motor away from everyone in the 2010 Tour of Flanders, and to my surprise I did notice some difference.

As for comfort, a guy I was riding with early in the season had them on his rando bike, and said he liked them for longer events (600+ kms), especially those that are quite flat. Mostly for the reasons you describe, it gave him another position to move into, I think just being able to move around is very important for comfort.
Old 06-20-11, 09:38 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I just never found aero bars on a road bike all that comfortable. Set it up right for the aero bars, and the drop bars are no longer comfortable, and vice versa.
Old 06-20-11, 09:56 PM
iheartbenben

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
I just never found aero bars on a road bike all that comfortable. Set it up right for the aero bars, and the drop bars are no longer comfortable, and vice versa.
This is generally what I'm experiencing so far with my aero bars.

I still think they look sweet, Dr. Pete.
Old 06-20-11, 10:22 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A friend said he helped invent them. Not sure if its true but I have a feeling it might be.
Old 06-20-11, 10:26 PM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cue Dr. Pete's awesome pic of his Cervelo P2c with race wheels for what correctly done aerobars SHOULD look like.
Old 06-20-11, 10:59 PM
iheartbenben

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
Cue Dr. Pete's awesome pic of his Cervelo P2c with race wheels for what correctly done aerobars SHOULD look like.
Yeah, for a person with dimensions relative to his. Also, I find that the correct way of having the fore-arms close together produces negative effects on my ability breath due to the way it forces a concave in my chest/upper back. Significant pain under power after about 10 minutes forces me to switch to a wider hand placement.

It's very frustrating at the moment, and is most likely due to my stupid body and bad riding style despite my shops attempts to fix me.
Old 06-21-11, 03:06 AM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I bolted on some aerobars on my road bike and made no other changes (as I didn't want to mess with my regular riding positions). I love it. The aerobars are still very comfortable, and I almost instantly gain 1.5-2.0mph at the same heartrate. I'm sure my aero position is not optimal, but it's better than drops or hoods.
Old 06-21-11, 06:18 AM
ezee2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm interested more with comfort, which another position would help with. I'm less worried about speed. I ride quite abit but its just for fun and to stay in good shape. I think I will borrow my buddy's and give them an extended try. Anybody else?
Old 06-21-11, 06:27 AM
dissident

Bikes: Felt Z85

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ordered some yesterday using overnight with prime.. profile design T2 plus... since nobody I know has tried em, thought I would.. what the heck. I ride alone, and mostly straight roads in the countryside, another position would be nice to have.

https://www.amazon.com/Profile-Design...8659119&sr=1-5
Old 06-21-11, 06:36 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by iheartbenben
Yeah, for a person with dimensions relative to his. Also, I find that the correct way of having the fore-arms close together produces negative effects on my ability breath due to the way it forces a concave in my chest/upper back. Significant pain under power after about 10 minutes forces me to switch to a wider hand placement.

It's very frustrating at the moment, and is most likely due to my stupid body and bad riding style despite my shops attempts to fix me.
This is part of the problem with clip-on aero bars--in general, they're not very adjustable at all, and you're forced to bring the bars in very close together. On a road bike with clip-ons, the aero bars will be higher than they should be, and generally further forward--this puts your shoulder joints in a really uncomfortable position that your pecs need to continually fire to support.

Part of the fit process with a dedicated aero bar setup is getting the upper arms into a natural position, i.e. around 90 degrees. After that, setting the width of the pads becomes the next important thing--I have a shoulder injury right now, so I had to kick the pads out really wide to get comfortable, for instance. Again, the clipons just don't give a lot of range for this.

And then, underlying the whole thing is that using clipons will close down your hip angle and potentially over-extend your back if used with standard road geometry, hence the high saddles and steep seat tube angles on TT and Tri bikes.

So, basically, getting into a good, comfortable, powerful position on aero bars is just as challenging as anything bike fit-related, and is more complex than slapping a pair of clip-ons on the bar. But hey--if you put 'em on there and they work for what you want, then I'll be the last to argue.
Old 06-21-11, 06:44 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
And since I could never possibly pass up a chance to post a pic of my Cervelo when asked to do so, here it is. Note the waaay-steep seat tube angle (in a UCI race I'd have to chop the nose off the saddle to make this legal), which gets the body on top of the aero bars. The top tube and stem are 1.5cm and 4cm shorter, respectively, than my road bike, so you could see how slapping clip-ons on my roadie wouldn't work so well--that's a total of 5.5 cm of shortening of the top tube to get into a comfortable aero position--not to mention the shortening of the effective top tube length from the super steep seat tube angle, which I'm too lazy with trig to calculate.

Old 06-21-11, 07:47 AM
iheartbenben

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful Dr. Pete. I somehow already knew you had a Cervelo...

I had not thought about adjusting my saddle position to open up my hip flex, but I'm becoming more convinced I'm gonna rip them off by the end of the summer and CL them.

I thought aero bars were the be all end all solution to riding solo for long distances, instead I've just had more issues with my riding.

They still look SO COOL.
Old 06-21-11, 07:59 AM
rizz
I'm that guy that I am.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Invisible" aero bars work too, and you don't have to buy a thing plus you can try out all the different positions without having actual hardware getting in the way. Put your elbows or forearms on the flats, extend your hands and try it.
Old 06-21-11, 08:07 AM
iheartbenben

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rizz
"Invisible" aero bars work too, and you don't have to buy a thing plus you can try out all the different positions without having actual hardware getting in the way. Put your elbows or forearms on the flats, extend your hands and try it.
Eh, before I exit for the day, I find this to not be true at all. I can pull so hard on my aero bars that I wouldn't be surprised if I ripped them off under speed and send myself crashing one day. This has given me a lot more sprint speed and acceleration in aero position, which is very very cool in certain situations. Probably the ONLY reason they are still on my bike.
Old 06-21-11, 08:09 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rizz
It's true to a point, but then remember that a real aero bar will raise you up at least 2cm or so, if not more with some models.
Old 06-21-11, 08:14 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
I used to have shoulder issues during long rides, and aero bars helped alleviate some it some by giving me another position. I've found them to be no longer needed after shedding 30 lbs and getting to a better level of fitness. Now I just get in the drops if the shoulder starts bothering me.

Old 06-21-11, 08:17 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by ezee2
I rode a buddy's road bike with aero bars over the weekend. I found them to be very comfortable as well more aero dynamic.
In my experience, you can't really have aero and comfortable. If you set them up in a way that they are substantially more aero than a good position in the drops, and they're not going to be very comfortable.

Also they are going to limit your ability to 1) see, 2) manuever, 3) react to hazards.

Hence, not a great idea other than for TT's and triathlons, or training for TT's and triathlons.

Originally Posted by DrPete
Because we don't have a second tandem for TT's, I needed to come up with an answer for this on the tandem. What we use is an Oval Concepts, under bar mount. It puts the aero bars below the top of the handlebars. Then I set the pads so they are the same height as the top of the handlbe bars,a nd my forearms are supported first by the handlebar and then the pads. Pretty much puts you in the IAB position, but with something to grab on to.

OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-21-11, 08:17 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm a quadruple hernia patient both in neck and back and I can tell you: aerobars are fantastic.
They take the weight off your back and wrists and put it on your elbows which is just what I need.
On my TT-bike I've got the standard straight S-bend type which are a bit harsh on the wrists, but in a short TT that doesn't matter much.
On my hybrid, I've got the Profile Design Jammer GT ... they are much more confortable because they are bent so your hands can just relax while gripping them. I also added some foamy ritchey truegrips to them for extra confort.
With that setup ... I, as a back patiënt, can ride for more than an hour without too much pain ... which is a lot for me.
Old 06-21-11, 08:21 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Also they are going to limit your ability to 1) see, 2) manuever, 3) react to hazards. Hence, not a great idea other than for TT's and triathlons, or training for TT's and triathlons
I disagree completely.
They do limit your abilities and so for doing tricky bits or in traffic I hardly use them.
However ... more than 90% of my riding is on longer stretches of road and then I use them all the time for added comfort and the best possible compromise between comfort and speed.
Old 06-21-11, 09:24 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
[QUOTE=Commodus;12817128]Sometimes when I'm pushing into the wind I'll put my forearms down onto the top of my bars, I guess into an 'aero bar' position. I started doing it after seeing Cancellara motor away from everyone in the 2010 Tour of Flanders, and to my surprise I did notice some difference.

QUOTE]

Yep, I do this all the time when faced with a headwind. What I do is cup my hands over the hoods and lay my forarms flat on the top of my bars. It does make it easier to peddle against the wind and my speed does increase. So, even if it's all in my head it works for me and I will continue to do it.
Old 06-21-11, 10:35 AM
AngrySaki
Socrates Johnson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm completely sold on aerobars after riding with them for a few years. I have my bike set up in a TT position, but my winter bike is in a road position. To get the aerobars to be comfortable on that bike I basically mimicked my position when I'm in the drops. This required mounting my aerobars fairly high. I also personally don't like having my arms at 90 degrees, I find it more comfortable to move the aerobar pads forward in a more stretched out position.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.