Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 02-19-20, 02:40 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Sent to me by conspirators. I'm obligated to build it suitable for the elderly (me).

54cm Expert frame from BF hooligans.
Kestrel EMS fork, redeaux with Velocals.
Innicycle headset/steerer from BF via Amazon
Ritchey WCS 70mm stem, CL.
Toseek 42 cm coronabars from Maoland.
6700 FD, RD, STIs from BF.
6700 stoppers I had. Bag I had.
Specialized post from an old Tarmac.
Prologo saddle from the dock of the 'Bay.
Pair of coronacages from Maontrepreneurs.
FSA SLK from the auction site.
FSA Mega-Exo BB from "who names this s---?"
11-24 DA cogs from When I Was Young.
Zipp 404R/303F from Performance long ago.
Tufo Hi-Composite Carbon 25s (tubular) eBay.
Beauteous polished pedals from madpogue .
Chain will be DA 7801 with Connex link.
Wrap will be Bontrager red.

Finishing up will send it soaring over 18 lbs, but well under 19. Just in case you were curious.

I may try for a sub-5 (total) HNH. Need to push close to 200w for the duration. Not quite me. Not yet.
There will be quite a few sub 5 riders but I'll bet none of them have done it on a Ironman in a LONG time. Show em how its done Robbie!
Old 02-19-20, 04:00 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Looks like Hotter'n'Hell is a go. I have registered and have a room and a bike in the works, inspired by TXSailor's 'Haze.

Red wrap will suffice. Black housing, but red RD housing.

Innicycle headset/steerer.
Now THAT's a unicrown.... (UniCROWN, Pat ...don't get excited...)
Would that Innicycle headset/steerer doodad enable swapping in a carbon fiber fork with metal steerer tube, like the Origin8 (which seems similar to the old Trek 5900 fork, which used a metal steerer tube)?

And does the Innicycle retain the original bearing setup, or use pressed bearings like the Chris King, Cane Creek, etc.?
Old 02-19-20, 04:15 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

...I may try for a sub-5 (total) HNH. Need to push close to 200w for the duration. Not quite me. Not yet.
Whew. That leaves me out. Been working hard but so far I don't think I've been able to sustain 200 Watts longer than 20 minutes (going by Strava and Elevate browser extension guesstimates).

I did manage to average 17.5 mph on my usual 25 mile roller coaster terrain workout route this weekend on the Ironman, a personal best for me. But none of the individual Strava segments was impressive. Just a more consistent, steady, sustained effort for 85 minutes.

That's slightly better than my previous best on the Trekenstein in late 2019. And I borrowed the crankset and shorter cranks off the Trek to do it. I'm starting to think I'd be better off with shorter cranks, rather than the 172.5 I've been using on the Ironman since 2017.
Old 02-19-20, 05:09 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Sent to me by conspirators. I'm obligated to build it suitable for the elderly (me).

54cm Expert frame from BF hooligans.
Kestrel EMS fork, redeaux with Velocals.
Innicycle headset/steerer from BF via Amazon
Ritchey WCS 70mm stem, CL.
Toseek 42 cm coronabars from Maoland.
6700 FD, RD, STIs from BF.
6700 stoppers I had. Bag I had.
Specialized post from an old Tarmac.
Prologo saddle from the dock of the 'Bay.
Pair of coronacages from Maontrepreneurs.
FSA SLK from the auction site.
FSA Mega-Exo BB from "who names this s---?"
11-24 DA cogs from When I Was Young.
Zipp 404R/303F from Performance long ago.
Tufo Hi-Composite Carbon 25s (tubular) eBay.
Beauteous polished pedals from madpogue .
Chain will be DA 7801 with Connex link.
Wrap will be Bontrager red.

Finishing up will send it soaring over 18 lbs, but well under 19. Just in case you were curious.

I may try for a sub-5 (total) HNH. Need to push close to 200w for the duration. Not quite me. Not yet.
If it's one of the scorcher years, you'll get your 200 watts for the duration. It will be 200 "what the f-ck was I thinking, what the f%ck am I doing out here," etc, etc.
Old 02-19-20, 06:36 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Would that Innicycle headset/steerer doodad enable swapping in a carbon fiber fork with metal steerer tube, like the Origin8 (which seems similar to the old Trek 5900 fork, which used a metal steerer tube)?

And does the Innicycle retain the original bearing setup, or use pressed bearings like the Chris King, Cane Creek, etc.?
The Innicycle is for a 1" threaded (therefore, a metal steerer) fork. I could have used the OEM fork, but had a bit shorter Kestrel EMS fork from a 53cm Litespeed on hand. One advantage of the Innicycle: very low stack height.

On my other converted Ironman, a 1" threadless fork was used with an FSA 1" threadless headset.

The Innicycle uses pressed bearings. No fuss, no mess.

My Centurion Turbo TT will use a 1" threadless fork from an Aegis. Metal steerer, but not threaded. Hard to find a 650c fork.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 02-19-20 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-19-20, 09:16 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Looks like Hotter'n'Hell is a go.
Hmm.... I could do the shorter but more scenic 100k. Swing by and pick up C-Cat on the way and Hope that Jim Dandy would meet us there. That's an additional 3 Texans right there.
As it is I'm in better shape to go 3 rounds, boxing, 3 rounds kickboxing, and 3 rounds grappling Than a hunerd miles in North Texas heat. But I hate to miss a chance to drop RT on the hunerd, but just have no plans to get in triathlon shape this year. So the 100k will have to do.
I'm gonna confer with my wife then those Texans and maybe just do the 100k and possibly bring the wife.
One thing, it would be a day trip of about 3.5 hours of driving each way.... which is really just a hop skip in Texas.
​​​​​
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 02-19-20, 09:30 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 744 Posts
Looks like Hotter'n'Hell is a go. I have registered and have a room and a bike in the works, inspired by TXSailor's 'Haze.
..)

Awesome! MAybe as the event gets closer we can have a tally of how many C&V'ers are going to be there and have a meet and greet a night or 2 before. If im there this there, I will probably be taking the 100k option myself as well like Txpand

I have a red '89 IM Master i could trick out for the eventj
Old 02-19-20, 09:39 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Originally Posted by texaspandj
Hmm.... I could do the shorter but more scenic 100k. Swing by and pick up C-Cat on the way and Hope that Jim Dandy would meet us there. That's an additional 3 Texans right there.
As it is I'm in better shape to go 3 rounds, boxing, 3 rounds kickboxing, and 3 rounds grappling Than a hunerd miles in North Texas heat. But I hate to miss a chance to drop RT on the hunerd, but just have no plans to get in triathlon shape this year. So the 100k will have to do.
I'm gonna confer with my wife then those Texans and maybe just do the 100k and possibly bring the wife.
One thing, it would be a day trip of about 3.5 hours of driving each way.... which is really just a hop skip in Texas.
​​​​​
My daughter says she really doesn't want to do the hundred there again. She is super busy this year getting certified to be a midwife and probably won't get to train as much as she has in the past. I may do the hundred anyway but for me its a lot about riding with them so I don't know. The 75 is also a good option as it still goes through the base but is still long enough to make it feel like you accomplished something. One option would be to get a room in Bowie Friday night and it drops the drive to 45 minutes. I would love to put some people up but we don't have room.
Old 02-19-20, 09:49 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by TXsailor
I don't know what the record is but I'm sure its been done in less than 4 hours.
The lead groups in the USAC road race there routinely finishes well under 4 hours. Its almost like a huge team time trial
Old 02-19-20, 12:11 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Another option is a Fri night meet, and then a photo op next a.m. Then off we go, each to our suffering.
And no one finds out how slow I really am.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 02-19-20 at 03:53 PM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 02-19-20, 03:52 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Whew. That leaves me out. Been working hard but so far I don't think I've been able to sustain 200 Watts longer than 20 minutes (going by Strava and Elevate browser extension guesstimates).

I did manage to average 17.5 mph on my usual 25 mile roller coaster terrain workout route this weekend on the Ironman, a personal best for me. But none of the individual Strava segments was impressive. Just a more consistent, steady, sustained effort for 85 minutes.

That's slightly better than my previous best on the Trekenstein in late 2019. And I borrowed the crankset and shorter cranks off the Trek to do it. I'm starting to think I'd be better off with shorter cranks, rather than the 172.5 I've been using on the Ironman since 2017.
Wattage, I'm finding, is in the eye of the beholder or measurement device. It's good info for comparisons between rides using the same device, otherwise, not so much. It's very interesting, though. I'm just getting used to how the gearing, rpms, HR, and wattage all interact, and I sure don't have a grip on it. I beat a guy the other day by 1.7 miles over a 3-hour course, but he had me by 20 watts, on average. Another guy did the Mount Evans (indoor course) and averaged about 213 watts, on a climb less steep than Thunder Ridge (but longer). I've climbed Thunder Ridge enough to know he'd have been faster on it than he was on Mount Evans, and probably avg less than 200 watts to do it. It's all fascinating. My compact 50/34 with 11-28 rear produces different results than my 53/39 with 11-32. I keep telling myself it all comes out in the wash/on the road. Pretty sure I'm getting better. Then, when I think so, the coach moves that carrot a little farther out on the stick.
Old 02-19-20, 08:02 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Wattage, I'm finding, is in the eye of the beholder or measurement device. It's good info for comparisons between rides using the same device, otherwise, not so much. It's very interesting, though. I'm just getting used to how the gearing, rpms, HR, and wattage all interact, and I sure don't have a grip on it. I beat a guy the other day by 1.7 miles over a 3-hour course, but he had me by 20 watts, on average. Another guy did the Mount Evans (indoor course) and averaged about 213 watts, on a climb less steep than Thunder Ridge (but longer). I've climbed Thunder Ridge enough to know he'd have been faster on it than he was on Mount Evans, and probably avg less than 200 watts to do it. It's all fascinating. My compact 50/34 with 11-28 rear produces different results than my 53/39 with 11-32. I keep telling myself it all comes out in the wash/on the road. Pretty sure I'm getting better. Then, when I think so, the coach moves that carrot a little farther out on the stick.
Biggest change I've noticed came from riding last year with the Trekenstein fitted with Biopace 52/42 and 170 cranks (presumably from an Ironman). Took awhile to adapt to the slightly different feel.

It felt like it worked better for me at a slower cadence, but I couldn't be sure without some data.

Then last summer I got a heart rate monitor to see if it made any difference in a more methodical training approach. I added a Wahoo Tickr to an old 2012 era Wahoo bike kit for iPhone 4s -- bulky protective case with ANT+ adapter and a speed/cadence dual sensor, wired together and magnet driven, but ANT+ only.

According to repeated baseline and max HR tests, my maximum heart rate was 173 bpm last summer (probably a bit lower now). I reached 160+ way too often in group rides and occasionally 170. When that happened I'd be dropped. After I redline I need to soft pedal for a few minutes to recover.

On the Ironman with Suntour GPX group I had already switched from 52/42 round rings to 50/39 and /38 round Vuelta rings. My cadence averaged 90 rpm like clockwork -- a little faster on downhills, a little slower on climbs, but 90 rpm on the dot on flat terrain.

My heart rate tends to peg immediately on outdoor rides. Probably subconscious PTSD (I've been hit by cars way too many damned times). On the indoor trainer my HR is in the 70s when I first sit on the bike and I have a hard time getting it above 140, even with HIIT sessions. But when I'm prepping for outdoor rides it jumps to 100 bpm just ginning around the house getting ready. When I reach the parking lot and sit on the bike it's 120. On the 400 yard downhill coast on the first street it'll hit 130 bpm (because the jackwad drivers in my immediate neighborhood are the worst by far -- I'm on pins and needles and eggshells just trying to get a mile from home, where drivers are saner).

If I start my workout on the usual 5-6 mile loop that's only a couple of miles from home, my HR hits 160+ bpm on the first hill, and I'm barely making any effort.

Then I'll do my usual 20-40 mile workout route, and within 30 minutes my HR stabilizes and reacts more commensurately to effort. And if I repeat that loop near home, I'll usually be faster but with a lower heart rate the second or third try.

Over the summer and autumn I noticed a pattern between the Ironman with round rings and Trekenstein with Biopace:
  • On the Ironman/round rings, I'd spin my usual 90+ rpm, and experience my usual pegged heart rate problem on climbs in fast group rides.
  • On the Trek 5900 with Biopace, my average cadence was closer to 75 rpm, while mashing harder gears. It would get a bit faster on downhills, some flat terrain; around 60 rpm on seated climbs; and 40-50 rpm on standing climbs. And my heart rate was significantly slower, at the same felt effort and overall speed, including on climbs. I didn't burn out so quickly or need so long to recover.

At first I assumed it was because the Trek was about 5 lbs lighter. But I wondered whether some recent fitness articles were correct: that many of us shouldn't be trying to emulate the high cadence trendy with pros after the Lance Armstrong era. Back then the idea was to save the legs and work the lungs, because the respiratory system recovered quicker, so it was better suited to those grueling 3-week grand tours.

But this doesn't apply to most of us. And my habit of spinning wasn't improving my leg strength. So I methodically changed my approach around August or September last year and rode the Trekenstein almost exclusively for the rest of the year, mashing harder gears at lower cadence, including some rides where I'd deliberately try to maintain 60 rpm regardless of terrain, using the biggest gear necessary to maintain that cadence. Took awhile for my legs to adapt -- I still get sore muscles in my quads and calves after some mashing workout rides. But I got stronger, consistently a little faster and my heart rate didn't peg so easily.

By January the Trek 5900 needed a break for overall servicing. After 27 years the Chris King headset finally ground to a halt -- literally. texaspandj and I knew the previous owner used it as a tri-bike, so it didn't surprise me to find rust and cave-like stalagmites and stalactites on the steel steerer tube (carbon forks, but steel steerer and dropouts). When I tapped out the balky fork the bottom set of King sealed cartridge bearings asploded. Still, that's pretty darned good for a headset that hadn't been serviced in almost 30 years, and probably used as a sweat drainage channel by the TT/tri-guy who used to own the bike. The top cartridge bearing unit looks fine but I'm sending the whole mess to King for servicing and/or updating -- I think the headset doodads that are press fit into the Trek 5900's carbon fiber head tube are titanium. In a fairly recent interview Chris King said that was probably a mistake, but titanium seemed sexy in the early 1990s. They now use only aluminum and steel. I suppose I could swap to a perfectly good Cane Creek or Origin8 pressed headset but, nah... I want to see how it goes with King's vaunted reputation for lifetime service and support. The initial quote is $25, excluding parts.

Anyway, pardon my digression...

With the Trekenstein disassembled and waiting for me to finish giving it some overdue love, I decided to try the Biopace rings on the Ironman. I just swapped in the 52/42 Biopace rings onto the original Suntour GPX 172.5 cranks.

Within a week my knees were twinging. I rarely have knee problems, despite multiple injuries. The knees always healed just fine. It's only my neck and shoulder with permanent damage, and physical therapy has helped a lot. So as soon as I felt a little knee pain I stopped and re-examined everything.

I tried adjusting the saddle height and fore/aft position. Nope, that didn't help. I lowered the stem/handlebar 1/4" to match the Trek's saddle to handlebar drop. Nope, that wasn't it either.

After a couple of weeks the coin dropped. I swapped the Trek's entire crankset over to the Ironman: I think it was Shimano 600, 170 cranks and Biopace 52/42.

Problem solved. No more knee issues.

And my heart rate stays under red line, after a patient warmup -- I need at least 30 minutes to warm up to stabilize my HR.

Who knew such seemingly insignificant changes could matter so much?

So now I'm giving some serious thought to switching all my bikes to 170 cranks. And Biopace on the Ironman -- although I'm satisfied otherwise with the Suntour GPX group and would continue using the GPX cranks if I can find a pair in 170. I prefer the looks of the GPX spider, and the Q-factor of the original cranks seems very slightly wider and felt right to me.

I'm also building up a donor Diamondback Podium carbon fiber frameset given to me by a friend who bought in only for the components -- the frame was too large for him. He left the Ultegra crankset with 175 cranks on it. But now I'm thinking I might ditch the Ultegra crankset and go for some non-round chainrings by Ultimate Black or similarly priced rings. Osymetric is probably out of my budget.

But for me, at least, the non-round rings and slower cadence with higher gears seems to work.

However, to make a 42T small ring work for my limited climbing ability, I had to go with a 28T big cog on the freewheels or cassettes. And if I build up the Diamondback frame with a 10 or 11 speed, I'll probably use the 11-32, depending on the crankset I settle on. For now the Ironman, my knees and heart rate are happy with 52/42 rings and 13-28 freewheel (SunRace MFM-30 chromed 7-speed).
Old 02-20-20, 06:12 AM
texaspandj

Your account of when you get ready to ride and your increased heart rate is very interesting. It reminds me of a story Anthony Robbins told about a famous singer client of his. As I recall, he said she was having anxiety about performing and it was getting to the point where she couldn't perform any more. He asked her to describe what happens when shes about to perform. She said she starts feeling nervous, then her heart starts beating faster, then she starts sweating, then she starts shaking and now can't perform. Anthony Robbins goes on to say that he was on a plane with Bruce Springsteen. And they got to talking and he asked Bruce Springsteen what it feels like when he's about to perform. He said he starts feeling anxious, then his heart starts beating faster, then he sweats, then he starts shaking and he can't wait to get on stage.
I can't remember what the Anthony Robbins point was about but maybe Perspective. Maybe C-Cat is just excited about riding and no PSTD at all.
Like C-Cat I too get a little stressed about riding (due to traffic), til I'm 4 miles out then it's Awesome.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 02-20-20, 09:34 AM
texaspandj

Generally every weekend I ride either a sat or sun with my bike buddy. And a couple weekends ago we were about 3 miles out when I had a flat on my Summertime Blues Ironmans rear tire. Usually after removing the tube keeping it lined with the tire and air it up yo see where the hole is, then check the tires same area. Problem is I could not feel or hear the air escaping due to traffic. So after checking and the inner and outer tire for glass and didn't see anything I mounted new tube. 100 yards later another flat on same wheel. Yep guessed it I had missed tiny glass embedded in tire. So I patched tube and got my buddy (who found the hole) and is 26 years my junior, to pump the air using a small frame pump. Due to the action of pumping, the jokes wrote themselves....I mean non stop. I think all cyclist who ride C&V have minds of preteens.
Here's a pic of said Summertime Blues Ironman.

All Dura Ace 7700 components including, Brifters, brakeset, crankset, BB, and chain. HS is OEM. 9 speed for my '89.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 02-20-20, 09:59 AM
texaspandj

This past weekend my riding buddy asked if I wanted to Run instead of bike. I hadn't ran since a December fun run but said yes anyway. We ran only 3 miles but at a good pace. Surprisroringly I felt good. We had talked about running together but riding always took precedent. Just like his exceptionally smooth pedaling, he has good running form. No exaggerating arm movements, or odd hitches.
So for whatever reason it's been bad weather during the weekdays (wet cold) but Nice weather on weekends (60s, 70s and even 80s temps and SUNNY) Beautiful. So you feel obligated to go outdoors and do something active.
I was kinda surprised I was a little sore sun after my run sat since I felt good running. But I went out on my old favorite bike and route. I'm not sure if It was the soreness or me being used to my rode bike but the saddle was kinda Hard. No matter I got used to it soon enough and rode the 26 miles nicely but afterwards I realized 50 miles could be a challenge. Here's the bike in question....my favorite.

Dura Ace 740(1) RD, FD, HS, BB. Original (1st generation) Gripshift and Scott DH Aerobars. Shimano 600 Crankset, Brakeset, and Aero seatpost. 6 speed for my '86.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 02-20-20, 10:27 AM
TXsailor

Another option is a Fri night meet, and then a photo op next a.m. Then off we go, each to our suffering.
And no one finds out how slow I really am.
We always go up Friday and go to the expo and pick up our packets. We could plan to meet then and hang out at the Mpec center or go to a restaurant. Saturday morning can be hectic but we can probably park at my daughters work place which is walking distance from the start. When its over we can go back there and if they aren't delivering a baby its a nice cool place to hang out and clean up a little. Last year we sent out for food and my #2 granddaughter came back with some huge burritos that probably weighed 2 lbs.

Oh and the chip times are published after the ride.....Everyone will know
Old 02-20-20, 05:52 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Your account of when you get ready to ride and your increased heart rate is very interesting. It reminds me of a story Anthony Robbins told about a famous singer client of his. As I recall, he said she was having anxiety about performing and it was getting to the point where she couldn't perform any more. He asked her to describe what happens when shes about to perform. She said she starts feeling nervous, then her heart starts beating faster, then she starts sweating, then she starts shaking and now can't perform. Anthony Robbins goes on to say that he was on a plane with Bruce Springsteen. And they got to talking and he asked Bruce Springsteen what it feels like when he's about to perform. He said he starts feeling anxious, then his heart starts beating faster, then he sweats, then he starts shaking and he can't wait to get on stage.
I can't remember what the Anthony Robbins point was about but maybe Perspective. Maybe C-Cat is just excited about riding and no PSTD at all.
Like C-Cat I too get a little stressed about riding (due to traffic), til I'm 4 miles out then it's Awesome.
Interesting, as my 205-225 HR is almost always at the beginning of a ride. It's like I want to die close to home.
Old 02-20-20, 05:55 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

If you and C-Cat come for at least a photo op, BRING "EM ALL!

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 02-20-20 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-20-20, 06:58 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
Hmm, what sorta fat-bike build are you cookin' up?.......
Old 02-20-20, 08:28 PM
seypat

Interesting, as my 205-225 HR is almost always at the beginning of a ride. It's like I want to die close to home.
I thought that was a given at the first of a ride or run. The heart rate spikes in the first minute then levels off. At least that's what happens to me.
Old 02-20-20, 11:20 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Good honk! as my granddad would have said. I can't imagine my heart rate reaching 200+ anymore.

Y'all are piquing my interest in the HNHH this year. Definitely gonna go with the Ironman if I can make it. Mine is still mostly original, downtube shifters and all. Plan to keep it that way.
Old 02-21-20, 02:15 AM
TXsailor

Good honk! as my granddad would have said. I can't imagine my heart rate reaching 200+ anymore.

Y'all are piquing my interest in the HNHH this year. Definitely gonna go with the Ironman if I can make it. Mine is still mostly original, downtube shifters and all. Plan to keep it that way.
There is no reason a completely original Ironman won't work fine at the HHH.
Old 02-21-20, 09:18 AM
texaspandj

Well I sold my suburban so we're down to one vehicle and surely couldn't fit all four of my Centurion Ironman in it. Here's a group pic.

Left to right, '86 Classic 6 speed, '87 Miami Vice 7 speed, '88 Carbon Midnight Rider 8 speed, and up front and center, '89 Summertime Blues 9 speed.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 02-21-20, 11:47 AM
seypat

The Innicycle is for a 1" threaded (therefore, a metal steerer) fork. I could have used the OEM fork, but had a bit shorter Kestrel EMS fork from a 53cm Litespeed on hand. One advantage of the Innicycle: very low stack height.

On my other converted Ironman, a 1" threadless fork was used with an FSA 1" threadless headset.

The Innicycle uses pressed bearings. No fuss, no mess.

My Centurion Turbo TT will use a 1" threadless fork from an Aegis. Metal steerer, but not threaded. Hard to find a 650c fork.
Personally, I don't care too much for the look of modern threadless steerer/stems. Maybe there are companies out there that make a slip on Jimmy Hat/sheath to cover it up. I've seen some, but they come as part of a handlebar assembly.
Old 02-21-20, 01:10 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by seypat
Personally, I don't care too much for the look of modern threadless steerer/stems. Maybe there are companies out there that make a slip on Jimmy Hat/sheath to cover it up. I've seen some, but they come as part of a handlebar assembly.
Agreed, provided they are on a vintage bike. However, on a modern bike they look fine.
I think somehow those threadless stems have something to do with RT getting those steel Ironman sub 20#.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.