Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Why can't I find any sizing or measurements on forks for my huffy 26' Sanford

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-24, 04:07 PM
Just2getby

Bikes: Schwinn 26' sanctuary 7 step thru, Huffy Sanford 26'

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, first day here. Thanks all you who help here. Let's keep this professional and simple. I just bought the huffy cruiser Sanford 26' I can't find any information on the websites as to what size springer forks I need for this bike either 1' or 1 1/8' bad at measurements and I've been looking for weeks thought I'd finally hop on here seeing as a lot of great ppl have done this already and are selfless enough to share and give the right information to the next man with this problem thanks again y'all
-just2getby. P.S. I got a motor to put on this bike as well so I'm thinking double springer or triple tree?. Not sure just need the correct size no matter where I go it's either 1' or 1 1/8' thanks a million.
Old 04-12-24, 04:58 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 399 Posts
Most likely 1”. If you have a caliper, you can easily check by measuring the handlebar stem, where it attaches to the fork. 21 - 22ish mm means 1”, 25.4mm means 1 1/8” (the stem is smaller diameter than the fork’s steer tube). If you don’t have a caliper, use an adjustable wrench and measure the opening with a ruler.

Triple tree will probably hold up better than a springer with a motor, depending on the forks you’re looking at.
Old 04-12-24, 05:47 PM
Just2getby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay so my quill stem reads 25.4mm so I'll be ordering a fork that's 1 1/8' ?. If I read that correctly. Would you like me to post a picture of the forks after purchasing.?
Old 04-12-24, 06:29 PM
bboy314

Originally Posted by Just2getby
Okay so my quill stem reads 25.4mm so I'll be ordering a fork that's 1 1/8' ?. If I read that correctly. Would you like me to post a picture of the forks after purchasing.?
Correct. You also could remove your current fork and measure that if you want another point of reference. Feel free to post a picture, but I’m not sure what that will accomplish.

Also, are you installing a gas motor with a sprocket that attaches to the spokes? If so, you might consider having a rear wheel built with better quality spokes than that bike comes with, and properly tensioned, as those motors tend to destroy rear wheels.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 04-12-24, 11:04 PM
Just2getby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attaches to the spokes ? Okay so I have the BBR Racing stage 4 kit. I've been so much wanting one for 3years quite so time to be looking at a motor doing research and still not understanding once it's on front of me. I'd be accomplishing you finally knowing what type of forks I'll have to your comment before. Also is there any other kind I thought that was the only kind motor underneath sprocket connected inside the hub well outside of the hub but on the inside of the sprockets if there's any other kind that I might be interested in care to share an image of it.
Old 04-12-24, 11:05 PM
Just2getby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you again for helping me and replying measuring forks do I measure what exactly the length all of it the length the width and the distance between dropouts I'll get back to you on there and I hope then I know for sure what forks to get on measuring thank you again
Old 04-13-24, 06:45 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 385 Posts
This is going to end well...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 04-13-24, 06:53 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 2,061 Posts
Because buyers of that level of quality bike don't care about specs beyond $
Likes For dedhed:
Old 04-13-24, 10:30 AM
Just2getby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you clicked on the wrong forum, because those two comments were irrelevant to this pages questions. As I said before you have information share it please you wouldn't want to see me on the news because two cents where there in a confusing way rather then a positive forum and suggestions

I'm already putting the motor on to the GT AGGRESSOR forgot to mention I also have welp lol 😆 better don't touch the huffy just yet lol I went with 26"_springer bent 1" forks chrome coming in from lowrider it'll be about 6days
Old 04-13-24, 02:20 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 2,061 Posts
Was this not the question?
Old 04-13-24, 05:00 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 446 Times in 342 Posts
Hello, first day here. Thanks all you who help here. Let's keep this professional and simple. I just bought the huffy cruiser Sanford 26' I can't find any information on the websites as to what size springer forks I need for this bike either 1' or 1 1/8' bad at measurements and I've been looking for weeks thought I'd finally hop on here seeing as a lot of great ppl have done this already and are selfless enough to share and give the right information to the next man with this problem
Whatever fork you get, choose one that will be easy to fit a good brake on, because I don't think just a coaster will be very safe at motorised speeds.
Old 04-13-24, 05:42 PM
bboy314

Originally Posted by grumpus
Whatever fork you get, choose one that will be easy to fit a good brake on, because I don't think just a coaster will be very safe at motorised speeds.
Too late!

OP, be warned that springer forks from Lowrider are more for show than riding. Not recommended for use with a motor.
Old 04-13-24, 05:48 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2340 Post(s)
Liked 2,833 Times in 1,545 Posts
Hello, first day here. Thanks all you who help here. Let's keep this professional and simple. I just bought the huffy cruiser Sanford 26' I can't find any information on the websites as to what size springer forks I need for this bike either 1' or 1 1/8' bad at measurements and I've been looking for weeks thought I'd finally hop on here seeing as a lot of great ppl have done this already and are selfless enough to share and give the right information to the next man with this problem thanks again y'all
-just2getby. P.S. I got a motor to put on this bike as well so I'm thinking double springer or triple tree?. Not sure just need the correct size no matter where I go it's either 1' or 1 1/8' thanks a million.
putting a motor on a coaster brake bike is pretty stupid to start with, likely illegal, and if it is 2 cycle polluting. And does not belong in a bicycle forum Not to put too fine a point on the subject

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 04-13-24, 06:21 PM
grumpus

Originally Posted by squirtdad
putting a motor on a coaster brake bike is pretty stupid to start with, likely illegal, and if it is 2 cycle polluting. And does not belong in a bicycle forum Not to put too fine a point on the subject
Illegally high-powered e-bikes annoy me, but for some reason a bolt-on ICE doesn't - go figure. I wonder how many of these projects are used for more than three weeks - I note that warranty seems to expire at first use, which is encouraging.
Old 04-13-24, 06:46 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 385 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
Illegally high-powered e-bikes annoy me, but for some reason a bolt-on ICE doesn't - go figure. I wonder how many of these projects are used for more than three weeks - I note that warranty seems to expire at first use, which is encouraging.
One of the kids that used to work for us carried out such a project. Could not talk him out of it. He was told in no uncertain terms that he was not to bring it into the shop, and that he was not do anything related to it on work time. He rode it for a day or so, 12 stitches on his head and no front teeth put an end to that nonsense.
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 04-13-24, 08:08 PM
grumpus

Originally Posted by wheelreason
One of the kids that used to work for us carried out such a project. Could not talk him out of it. He was told in no uncertain terms that he was not to bring it into the shop, and that he was not do anything related to it on work time. He rode it for a day or so, 12 stitches on his head and no front teeth put an end to that nonsense.
You can't tell them, they have to learn for themselves. Could you resist a "told you so"?
Old 04-14-24, 12:49 AM
Just2getby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So before reading any of these messages I decided to go with my GT AGGRESSOR which has disc brakes and all I needed was the triple tree suspension which is on its way so yes the Huffy Sanford 26" will still get the bent forks springers on as a show bike thanks for all everyone's concern tho. Really felt good chossing what i chose then reading this to know I got this and well there you have it. Again to those who genuinely responded thanks.
Old 04-14-24, 12:51 AM
Just2getby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Because buyers of that level of quality bike don't care about specs beyond $
yes I get what you mean, I myself have been trying to put something up for the bike in speciation reasons don't know how to get it out there tho. Thanks
Old 04-29-24, 01:03 AM
Just2getby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I contacted Huffy bicycles ,on my steer tube length because I can't find any information on World Wide Web so I was told it's a 1" steer tube. So I then went and bought myself a 1" bent chrome springer forks. When received,my headsets where to big and wouldn't thread on to the forks it basically just dropped down,putting it on my bicycle which is Huffy Sanford 25?6" cruiser bicycle there was to much play back forth side to side headset wouldn't grip and just wouldn't fit so I returned them. Now, I'm refunded and need to order what size ? Next size is 1 1/8" right? I'm actually going to get my self the Amazon 1 1/8" triple tree suspension with headsets included so anyone have this issue anyone just can plz anwswr me straight and what size to get here or what to do here thanka a bunch
Old 04-29-24, 05:20 AM
bboy314

Next size is 1 1/8”, which is what it seems like you already measured according to your earlier posts

Generally speaking, asking for sizes on the internet or even from the manufacturer (or in this case holding company) is worthless compared to taking a measurement yourself.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 04-29-24, 05:52 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3688 Post(s)
Liked 5,479 Times in 2,780 Posts
Gosh, nobody saw that fail coming.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-29-24, 01:40 PM
Just2getby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nobody saw it coming becuz I can't get a straight answer even tho I did answer my own question 25.4mm is then 1/18` forks but then huffy department told me 1' so I listen to the bike manufacturer who was then wrong still can't get an answer 😔
Old 04-29-24, 01:42 PM
Just2getby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No Information on world wide web about 26`huffy Sanford bicycle shop I mest up listen to the ppl who make this bike and got 1` forks way to small so my next is TRIPLE TREE FORKS 1 1\8` WITH VBRAKE MOUNTS AND HEADSETS TO GO WORK WITH THAT FORK SO HOPEFULLY THAT WORKS
Old 04-29-24, 04:59 PM
bboy314

Nobody saw it coming becuz I can't get a straight answer even tho I did answer my own question 25.4mm is then 1/18` forks but then huffy department told me 1' so I listen to the bike manufacturer who was then wrong still can't get an answer 😔
You already got your answer when you measured it yourself.
Old 04-29-24, 05:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,025 Times in 2,688 Posts
So you have come to a bicycle forum to help build a motorcycle or kill yourself? I am baffled? If you need help

Please dial 988 if you need help there are people there to help you.

If you truly think that building a death trap is safe than I suggest getting a proper motorcycle. If price is a concern The good folks at Honda make the Grom which as I remember is pretty low cost but a Honda so good quality, long lasting and decently well built with good support.

A Huffy is not really a safe bike from the get go and putting gas motor on it makes it even less safe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.